Atwater Grand Circus IPA - Atwater Brewery

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

2.25/5  rDev -25.7%

1.69/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Wow, it has been a while since I have felt so compelled to write a negative review.

Firstly, if you are going to have your "IPA" weigh in at 4.2% ABV, do us all a favor and have the basic decency to label it so that people like me don't waste our time and money on a light beer that has little flavor. I was suspicious because of the low price at my local beer store, but it said IPA and was something I had never tried before, my curiosity and adventurous nature kept me from just getting a standby pack of DFH 60 Minute IPA. Woe betide my decision, this is truly a terrible beer.

This is not an IPA, this is some sort of weird session pale ale, and not a good one at that. The basic appearance is lighter than ?I expected. The head is a lovely shade of white, which kept it from losing points there. The smell is weak and faintly pine scented. The taste is an unsurprising follow up to the smell. Water with Pinesol, slightly astringent. I have tasted first try's from home brewers that are leagues ahead of this piss-water. Mouthfeel was thin and watery.

Overall this is a very poor offering. Bad enough that I will not be throwing any money at these guys in the future. I tried to rate this beer fairly and still the results are not pretty. I would rather take a PBR any day over this stuff.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this offering. There are better and smaller breweries who could use the business and which would actually provide you with a beer worth drinking.

3.02/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a hazy deep golden with an ivory head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma reveals vegetal and diacetyl notes. May have some DMS issues.

The flavor confirmed the vegetal/DMS notes, along with grapefruit pith underpinnings, which helped to distract, somewhat. The finish is fairly bitter.

Body and carbonation are moderate.

Fairly weak in malt character, and the DMS notes are unfortunate. The balance was more toward bittering hops than flavoring, so it doesn't really suit my palate.

Atwater Grand Circus IPA from Atwater Brewery