Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: ShanePB on 02-02-2012

Ratings: 458 | Reviews: 117

If you like chocolate stouts like I do, you'll love this one. One of the best I've ever had.

My personal favorite from Atwater. Very silky smooth feel because of the low carbonation. Sweet dark chocolate aromas make the mouth water! Great taste from start to finish. Your typical sweet, not bitter, dark chocolate taste turns almost into a root beer-ish middle, and finishes smooth with more cocoa tastes. Wonderful beer from a wonderful town.

4.97/5  rDev +34.7%

One of my favorite beers

4.92/5  rDev +33.3%

Tastes very similar, if not exactly, like the Vanilla Java Porter that Atwater also makes. This flavor was great excellent - you can sense a medium coffee taste hinted with a vanilla creamer. I would rank this in my top 5 because it's such a great combination of everything intertwined together. I could drink this pretty steady. Est. 168 calories per bottle at 5.5% ABV.

4.91/5  rDev +33.1%

Dark Chocolate Ale pours a black color with a very small head. There is a strong dark semi-sweet chocolate flavor. The taste has a semi-sweet dark chocolate flavoring. Very nice bold chocolate flavors, and very easy to drink, with a nice body. Overall WOW, a very strong dark-chocolate bomb.

4.85/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Chocolate chocolate chocolate! Fun beer but not sure I could drink them all night

4.76/5  rDev +29%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Outstanding brew from the Atwater brewery.

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great smell and taste, recommend giving it a try.

4.68/5  rDev +26.8%

First ale I've had from this brewery.

Pours a pitch black color with a thin brown head into my glass. Dark, rich but not glamorous.

An overwhelming whiff of semi-sweet chocolate greets my nose, followed by cream and a bit of roasted coffee.

Decadent it is with cocoa, coffee, toffee and cream flavors. Very mellow. Extremely tasty.

Mouthfeel consists of lingering flavors with a focus on cream. It's like a liquid goetzes cream candy.

Very nice! Flavors are richer than those of Southern Tier's Choklat and there's a better balance here. I wonder if the ABV affects such flavors?

4.65/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dirty the other one of them lol, it would be a fun time, but the front page of renegotiated and had a big time to be more than the Volvo

4.56/5  rDev +23.6%

This one's a beaut. Had it in a snifter at a bar and at home from bottle to stout glass.

Both ways, the aroma is incomparable. Dark, bitter chocolate with a little coffee grounds on the nose. Every time I have one of these in front of me, I let it sit for several minutes just enjoy the aroma wafting from the glass. Do the people around me look at me sideways for breathing from the glass? Yup. But not after they get a sniff of this wonderful little brew.

The taste follows through, a nice stout feel more bitter coffee than in the smell. The best part is there isn't any taste of artificial chocolate that infects so many chocolate stouts.

One of my favorite stouts, period.

4.55/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had that beer last night. Excellent taste. No tanic aftertaste, in fact no aftertaste at all. Not too "chocolatey "...just right! A new fave!

4.51/5  rDev +22.2%

$1.79 for a 12oz bottle @ Bevco. No ingredients or stats on the website or bottle. Pours to a clear dark walnut, forming a small light tan head with poor retention and absent lacing. Mild carbonation. The aroma isvery good. One might even say decadent. It's overwhelmingly chocolate, but not the fake Hershey kiss type milk chocolate, but more of a deep dark chocolate balanced by some nice roasted malt notes. It smells like a touch of coffee too, like a mocha. The mouthfeel is pleasant, something I cannot say for lot of chocolate beers which end up syrupy or overly acidic. Medium bodied. The taste is very good as well. There is a superb balance between the chocolate flavor and the roasted notes which accents the richness without it becoming cloying. It's probably the most drinkable chocolate beer I've had, and a very good representation of the style. No perceptible off flavors. No hop nose. Very mild bitterness keeps the beer nicely balanced and in check.

I really like this beer. Probably the best chocolate beer I've had. I would gladly buy it again and would recommend it. I can't say I've ever had a chocoalte beer as well balanced as this one. Kudos.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Delicious chocolate ale. Tastes like a chocolate bar.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Just an amazing brew. Easy drinker.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

(Reviewed nitro version) Loved this beer, one of the best nitro beers I've ever had

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The first thing you will notice about this beer is is is black. Very black. Opaque. Deep crude oil black. It smells of the promised chocolate, reminding me specifically of unsweetened cocoa powder. The taste is of dark chocolate and a bit of coffee. It is refreshing to have a nice chocolate beer that is not a stout. Here it is really well done. The inherent bitterness of dark chocolate is well used to prevent this beer from being sweet. In fact is is awesomely dry. Wonderfully beer to contemplate with.

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance - Beer pours a deep dark black (or as I told my wife, as dark as her soul ;) ). A slight cloudy sediment appeared at the bottom. Tan head disappears quickly with no lacing.

Smell - A deep, rich satisfying dark chocolate aroma; not milk chocolate, but dark baker's chocolate. I live the style and this is by far the most chocolatey smell. Behind the chocolate, you can detect a roasted malt and hint of vanilla, as well. Not a hint of hops that I could detect in the smell.

Taste - A nice dark chocolate greeting, followed up by a slightly bitter roasted malt after taste that disappears quickly. Only a hint of hop behind the roast, but not too bitter.

Mouthfeel - A creamy mouthfeel, but not chewy--a little thinner than some stouts. Lightly carbonated.

Overall - Delicious. At first I thought it more of a "dessert" beer--the kind where you have just one. By the time I the first though, I found myself wanting another and even a third after that. I will definitely be seeking this beer out in the future.

4.41/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is over the top! The only way i could express the pleasure is to compare it to a night on the beach with a beautiful woman (m wife), a fine cigar,, a fine beer, and soft music off in the distance. How could I better express my satisfaction?

4.41/5  rDev +19.5%

Nitro Version has an awesome vanilla note!

4.39/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

nice chocolate beer. first chocolate ALE I think I've ever had, and I'm not disappointed.
creamy milk chocolate taste and feel, with roasted nuts on the tongue. head is a one finger light tan that holds for a little bit with medium lacing. roasted malts on the nose. easy to drink. I may buy this again in the future when I'm sick of chocolate stouts...... which may be awhile. home state brew, detroit love.

4.37/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark, rich color with red undertones, but when you drink it, it doesn't feel heavy or thick. I like the subtle bubble, almost like soda, but not too much carbonation so it's still smooth and not airy. The aroma of dark chocolate is stronger than the flavor (unfortunately), and the after taste is a bit bitter, which takes away from upcoming sips, so the first swallow is the best. I would enjoy this beer as a snack or dessert rather than with a meal because it is so delicious on its own merit. It's bright enough that you can drink several and not get tired or overwhelmed by its sweetness. Atwater Brewery can claim a degree of pride despite the low reputation of Detroit. My only other suggestion is a slightly higher alcoholic content. If you're looking to enjoy such a wealth of flavor and texture, you might as well get a buzz while you're at it. :)

4.37/5  rDev +18.4%

For dark chocolate lovers this is the beer you want! Have tried many chocolate beers in the past and Atwater hit it head on. Actually walked into this one blindly having only tried a few other beers by Atwater. starting to become a huge fan of this brand.

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

Decadent...it says it all in the name. I've never described a beer as decadent let alone ever heard of a brewery using it in one of it's naming conventions, but it's the perfect description for this brew.

Decadent chocolate. Pours a nightly black color into a glass with substantial dark brown head. You get an overwhelmingly strong caramely, maltly, chocolately smell eminating from the glass. One of the most potent smells, but intoxicating nonetheless. All the normal characteristics of a stout with a slight hint of hops in the brew.

Tart and chocolately on the palate, similar to tasting a dark chocolate made from extremely concentrated cocoa. Excellent beer, slightly sweet on the tounge with a dry finish. On the bottle it says it is made with actual chocolate and I can believe it.

Excellent brew. I recommend grabbing it, but to be enjoyed in limited quantities as they flavor might wear on you after one or two.

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice opaque black. Light to little head. Very minimal lacing. Smells and also Tastes of dark chocolate and vanilla with light smokiness present. Very heavy on the vanilla and chocolate. A very light bodied brew, nothing strong or overwhelming yet so tasty that its awesome. Salute to you Atwater! Did it again.

Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale from Atwater Brewery