Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale - Atwater Brewery

good

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: ShanePB on 02-02-2012

If you like chocolate stouts like I do, you'll love this one. One of the best I've ever had.

4.97/5  rDev +35.4%

One of my favorite beers

4.92/5  rDev +34.1%

Tastes very similar, if not exactly, like the Vanilla Java Porter that Atwater also makes. This flavor was great excellent - you can sense a medium coffee taste hinted with a vanilla creamer. I would rank this in my top 5 because it's such a great combination of everything intertwined together. I could drink this pretty steady. Est. 168 calories per bottle at 5.5% ABV.

4.91/5  rDev +33.8%

Dark Chocolate Ale pours a black color with a very small head. There is a strong dark semi-sweet chocolate flavor. The taste has a semi-sweet dark chocolate flavoring. Very nice bold chocolate flavors, and very easy to drink, with a nice body. Overall WOW, a very strong dark-chocolate bomb.

4.9/5  rDev +33.5%

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Chocolate chocolate chocolate! Fun beer but not sure I could drink them all night

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great smell and taste, recommend giving it a try.

4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

First ale I've had from this brewery.

Pours a pitch black color with a thin brown head into my glass. Dark, rich but not glamorous.

An overwhelming whiff of semi-sweet chocolate greets my nose, followed by cream and a bit of roasted coffee.

Decadent it is with cocoa, coffee, toffee and cream flavors. Very mellow. Extremely tasty.

Mouthfeel consists of lingering flavors with a focus on cream. It's like a liquid goetzes cream candy.

Very nice! Flavors are richer than those of Southern Tier's Choklat and there's a better balance here. I wonder if the ABV affects such flavors?

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%

4.56/5  rDev +24.3%

This one's a beaut. Had it in a snifter at a bar and at home from bottle to stout glass.

Both ways, the aroma is incomparable. Dark, bitter chocolate with a little coffee grounds on the nose. Every time I have one of these in front of me, I let it sit for several minutes just enjoy the aroma wafting from the glass. Do the people around me look at me sideways for breathing from the glass? Yup. But not after they get a sniff of this wonderful little brew.

The taste follows through, a nice stout feel more bitter coffee than in the smell. The best part is there isn't any taste of artificial chocolate that infects so many chocolate stouts.

One of my favorite stouts, period.

4.51/5  rDev +22.9%

$1.79 for a 12oz bottle @ Bevco. No ingredients or stats on the website or bottle. Pours to a clear dark walnut, forming a small light tan head with poor retention and absent lacing. Mild carbonation. The aroma isvery good. One might even say decadent. It's overwhelmingly chocolate, but not the fake Hershey kiss type milk chocolate, but more of a deep dark chocolate balanced by some nice roasted malt notes. It smells like a touch of coffee too, like a mocha. The mouthfeel is pleasant, something I cannot say for lot of chocolate beers which end up syrupy or overly acidic. Medium bodied. The taste is very good as well. There is a superb balance between the chocolate flavor and the roasted notes which accents the richness without it becoming cloying. It's probably the most drinkable chocolate beer I've had, and a very good representation of the style. No perceptible off flavors. No hop nose. Very mild bitterness keeps the beer nicely balanced and in check.

I really like this beer. Probably the best chocolate beer I've had. I would gladly buy it again and would recommend it. I can't say I've ever had a chocoalte beer as well balanced as this one. Kudos.

Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale from Atwater Brewery