Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale - Atwater Brewery

good

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: ShanePB on 02-02-2012

Not what I expected tastes like diet yahoo. Tastes really flat and plain. This brewery usually puts out really solid stuff..

1.12/5  rDev -69.5%

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

1.9/5  rDev -48.2%

My wife likes chocolate beer. I like my wife. So I bought her some chocolate beer.

Dark brown with a thick cocoa head. Collar retention dots my glass on it's way down.

Smells like maple syrup. I was expecting chocolate.

Tastes like maple syrup with strong bitter vegetable oil in back. Again, for some reason I was expecting chocolate. Chocolate syrup burps though.

This is terrible. I like maple syrup but a) I was expecting chocolate and b) that's a nasty back end. That's yucky two ways.

2.05/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I had low expectations for this one, based on Atwater's Vanilla Porter being such a disappointment, but once again I was drawn in by their sharp artwork and the promise of "decadent chocolate".

To my surprise, even with lowered expectations, I was still disappointed! This beer poured very cola-like in appearance, built a nice looking head that disappeared quickly. It's a nice color (but what beer isn't?) but pretty transparent despite its dark brown color. Not a big deal but this turned out to be an indication of things to come.

The nose was the strongest point. Rich chocolate with a touch of vanilla, no indication of malts or whatever but the overall impression I got was closer to a high-level rum than any beer I've tried. There's still a little bit left in my glass and I keep sniffing it even now.
That was about it for the positives. Somehow all the wonderful chocolatey elements were strictly limited to the smell and none are evident in the taste. There's a slight malt character, with a the barest hint of the chocolate that was so "decadent" in the smell, and after that... nothing. It literally tastes like a watered down version of itself, or what I expected based on the intoxicating smell. Just bland, slightly sour, not decadent in the slightest. The mouth feel is similarly poor, just thin and weakly carbonated with no body. It really feels like drinking a Killian's or Bud that had slight chocolate flavor added. As it warms, instead of the flavor opening up, it just gets bland and kind of gross. I'd drink this over something like PBR but what's the point? If not for the delicious aroma, this beer would be a total waste of money. When you consider that a four pack of this costs the same as Founders Breakfast Stout or some of the excellent New Holland High Gravity Series (here in Michigan at least) there is absolutely no reason to buy this.

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

2.54/5  rDev -30.8%

Dark brown color, no head. Has an amazing dark chocolate smell, but the taste is underwhelming. Despite the promise of the aroma, I got very little in terms of flavor. Has a watery feel. The taste is strongly reminiscent of a weak Dr. Pepper. Palate is strongly carbonated and comes off a little too harsh.

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

2.68/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Just bought this from Crazy Bruce in Bristol CT as part of a mixed sixer. Aggressively poured into a Guinness glass.

This ale pours a nice dark brown, almost black, with very little head or lacing. Smell is chocolate first and foremost, a hint of bread, and not much else. Heavily, harshly carbonated. Taste begins as chocolate soda; the only clue I have that this is beer is at the finish, which is thin and watery with some nondescript beer flavor. The chocolate flavor reminds me of chocolate NECCO wafers. I've had chocolate stouts that were much better. This tastes more like soda than beer to me. Won't be drinking this again.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

If you like Hershey syrup, this is your beer. All other notes are average at best

Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale from Atwater Brewery