Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale - Atwater Brewery

Decadent Dark Chocolate AleDecadent Dark Chocolate Ale

good

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: ShanePB on 02-02-2012

1.9/5  rDev -48.5%

My wife likes chocolate beer. I like my wife. So I bought her some chocolate beer.

Dark brown with a thick cocoa head. Collar retention dots my glass on it's way down.

Smells like maple syrup. I was expecting chocolate.

Tastes like maple syrup with strong bitter vegetable oil in back. Again, for some reason I was expecting chocolate. Chocolate syrup burps though.

This is terrible. I like maple syrup but a) I was expecting chocolate and b) that's a nasty back end. That's yucky two ways. (495 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I had low expectations for this one, based on Atwater's Vanilla Porter being such a disappointment, but once again I was drawn in by their sharp artwork and the promise of "decadent chocolate".

To my surprise, even with lowered expectations, I was still disappointed! This beer poured very cola-like in appearance, built a nice looking head that disappeared quickly. It's a nice color (but what beer isn't?) but pretty transparent despite its dark brown color. Not a big deal but this turned out to be an indication of things to come.

The nose was the strongest point. Rich chocolate with a touch of vanilla, no indication of malts or whatever but the overall impression I got was closer to a high-level rum than any beer I've tried. There's still a little bit left in my glass and I keep sniffing it even now.
That was about it for the positives. Somehow all the wonderful chocolatey elements were strictly limited to the smell and none are evident in the taste. There's a slight malt character, with a the barest hint of the chocolate that was so "decadent" in the smell, and after that... nothing. It literally tastes like a watered down version of itself, or what I expected based on the intoxicating smell. Just bland, slightly sour, not decadent in the slightest. The mouth feel is similarly poor, just thin and weakly carbonated with no body. It really feels like drinking a Killian's or Bud that had slight chocolate flavor added. As it warms, instead of the flavor opening up, it just gets bland and kind of gross. I'd drink this over something like PBR but what's the point? If not for the delicious aroma, this beer would be a total waste of money. When you consider that a four pack of this costs the same as Founders Breakfast Stout or some of the excellent New Holland High Gravity Series (here in Michigan at least) there is absolutely no reason to buy this. (1,879 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -44.2%

On draft - 5/20/15

Appearance - 4
Dark, but not quite opaque with some nice head that didn't last

Smell - 3
Some chocolate and not much else.

Taste - 1
Sweet fake chocolate. No complexity. Another reviewer mentioned Shock Top. That's what you are getting here.

Mouthfeel - 3
Medium bodied, not terrible but definitely not as robust as what I was expecting

Overall - 2
The taste really killed it. It was a real disappointment. As somewhat of a chocolate snob, this one just didn't do it for me. If you take to chocolate flavored candy, it may not be so bad . If not, but you do enjoy a rich chocolate stout on occasion, I'd pick up a Youngs which is widely available and very tasty (695 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -32.5%

AtWater Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale.

Atwater usually has some pretty good brews for the price range and I'm hoping this one won't be any different.

Look - Pours a transparent black that can easily be pierced by the light with a two finger bubbly mocha head that quickly elects to turn into strong cloud formations amongst the top of the drink. Lacing just isn't there. 3.5

Smell - Ever smell a frozen dark chocolate bar on a late Michigan October morning that you just found but you meant to eat a fee days after you bought it in the middle of June? Well take that along with the freezer burn and put it into the scent of a brew and you have this one wrapped up. 3.25

Taste - Chocolate makes itself known around these parts with a half balance of dark coffee and dark fruit. As great as that sounds there is still something off putting and quite bothering about this one...hmm...let's let it warm a bit. That off putting bit still sticks around despite being at optimal temperature. 2.

Feel - Medium bodied with lacking carbonation. Sits a bit creamy, but not much else to say here. 3.

Overall - Never really had a beer with such an off putting flavor that denied it a chance to shine. I've finally figured it out though. And I must say this guy is just way too watered down to truly be enjoyed for what it's supposed to be. This is to Sweet/milk stouts what Guinness is to Stouts in general. A watered down poor variant made to be ordered by a hipster who feels a touch masculine after a night of drinking PBR. Y'know what I'd rather have a PBR, at least it isn't a pathetic excusd for a style like this onr. 2. (1,618 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -32%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Look and smell are excellent. Taste is disappointing. Lacks depth and is over carbonated. Two parts soda water and one part Hershey's syrup about sums it up. (158 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -31.2%

Dark brown color, no head. Has an amazing dark chocolate smell, but the taste is underwhelming. Despite the promise of the aroma, I got very little in terms of flavor. Has a watery feel. The taste is strongly reminiscent of a weak Dr. Pepper. Palate is strongly carbonated and comes off a little too harsh. (306 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Just bought this from Crazy Bruce in Bristol CT as part of a mixed sixer. Aggressively poured into a Guinness glass.

This ale pours a nice dark brown, almost black, with very little head or lacing. Smell is chocolate first and foremost, a hint of bread, and not much else. Heavily, harshly carbonated. Taste begins as chocolate soda; the only clue I have that this is beer is at the finish, which is thin and watery with some nondescript beer flavor. The chocolate flavor reminds me of chocolate NECCO wafers. I've had chocolate stouts that were much better. This tastes more like soda than beer to me. Won't be drinking this again. (633 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours with a similar color to root beer. A mostly opaque deep brown that hesitantly lets the tiniest bit of light in at the edges of the glass.

Smells very chocolaty, a little bit of a nutty essence, but mostly chocolate.

Tastes like what I expect club soda with chocolate syrup mixed in to taste like... as in... it's not good. I've definitely had worse, and this doesn't gross me out with it's flavor, but it's very plain and boring. It doesn't taste enough like chocolate, and the complexity is that I can literally taste the carbonated bubbles as much as the beer. This is lame.

A little thick, with a bit of tangy carbonation. Goes down easy.

Overall, it's a very "OK" beer. It isn't quite remarkable in any way, and I think Young's Chocolate Stout beats this in most categories, even if it's a different style. If you're looking for a chocolate stout, definitely go with Young's over this one. If you're looking for something new to try, I recommend trying something else. (982 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from 12 oz bottle from October 2012 into Portsmouth Brewery tulip. Had sat out of fridge for 10 minutes before pouring.

A: Almost black pour with half finger head after vigorous pour. Had expected a bigger head and little to no lacing. I don't care about lacing, but I was a bit surprised there wasn't more going on here.

S: Chocolate, bordering on artificial and/or over-sweetened. A lot of sugar.

T: I didn't realize I poured a Coke into this glass. I'm not picking up on any of the chocolate notes of the nose. No way this is a stout.

M: Way too thin for the style. I'd say this is a confused brown ale if anything. There either needs to be some thickening for the next batch or a reduction of the effect the chocolate has on the beer, as this is way too sweet (and dark) for a brown.

O: I'm let down here. The smell started off pretty strong, but it was all downhill from there. There are better options out there, even if this 6er was right around $10. (970 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -18.2%

A - considerable light around edges with a short off-white head.

S - Hershey chocolate syrup with a hint of dark chocolate and fruit.

T - generic chocolate syrup and q hint of toasted malt.

M - thin with light coating. Not much feel, almost like an Irish dry stout.

O - not bad but not good enough to break into the rotation. (329 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

We pour a brew of the darkest mahogany brown coloring, holding a half finger tall head of light tan bubbles showing okay retention. Spotty lacing is left clinging around the glass. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be moderate. The nose gives big milk chocolates off the bat, bringing memories of sipping on hot cocoa by a roaring fire. Toffee, Tootsie Roll, white sugar, and fatty whole milk add creamy sweetness. Mixing to fill are notes of banana fruitiness, raw coffee malts, coiny metallics, general roastiness, marshmallow, and faint boozy bite. Our first impression is that there is less bold balancing sweetness than expected, with a decently robust start, but a rather watered finish. As we sip, the taste opens with straight chocolate milk smoothness, lightly roasted coffee and chocolate malts, lactic sourness, lipid, mineral water, and very faint plastic phenols. Gas station hazelnut coffee pulls us to the peak, where a blend of soured roasted coffee malts, white flour, metallics, corny adjuncts, and overly sweet German Kinder chocolates meet for the attempted balance. The finishing wash comes across as severely watered through, with sweetness of white sugars and stale marshmallow, along with weak milk chocolate, banana mash, metallics, and lightly soured lactics. The aftertaste breathes of that soured grain, even milkiness, banana milkshake, cinnamon essence, mineral, sweeter whipped cream, and lightly adjuncty filler grain. The body is on the lighter side, and the carbonation is medium. The mouth is cooled and thinly coated, with eventual faint dryness down the center of the hard palate. Each sip gives nice slurp, froth, cream, sip, pop, and glug. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, the strongest aspect of this beer was its aroma. This showed big chocolates, brown malts, sugars, vanillas, and general sweetness, certainly deserving of the title of “decadence”. Where we lost points was through the end of the sip, where the flavoring was almost entirely washed out with watery grain, affecting not only the taste, but also the feel. Atwater has continued to disappoint us in cohesion and final execution of their styles, so I guess we’ll have to wait for the next one in hopes of finding something that is worth coming back to. (2,316 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Clear black colored ale with a small brown colored head.

Smells strongly of chocolate. Big chocolate scent smells like a Hershey bar. Scents of sweet and caramel but mostly this is all chocolate.

Starts out sweet with a big chocolate taste with a capital C. Slight bitterness. Little bit of coffee and toasted grain but this is mostly just chocolate.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall just a 4.5% chocolate beer. The chocolate here is so big it can't be natural, artificial scent and flavorings were used. (505 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -16%

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I heard about this beer a while ago and i' have been waiting for it show up since, so when I saw it on the shelf at my local store I knew I needed to pick up a bottle. The bottle was notched July 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty plain and pretty much the same as all their other beers, it's not that great looking. It poured a nice dark black color that only had a slight ruby hue at the bottom when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit lacing. I like the look of this beer, it's true to style and I have no complaints.

S- The aroma of this beer is dominated by chocolate aromas, at first I get a little bit of bitter chocolate then there's a huge Hershey syrup aroma that pretty much dominated the aroma of this beer. Towards the end I get some vanilla, cocoa powder, coffee, and a slight brown sugar like aroma that gives the aroma a pretty high amount of sweetness. I liked the aroma of this beer, the aroma is all about the chocolate, but it was a little on the sweet side.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma just a little more watered down, it starts off with a slight grainy roasted malt flavor that is quickly taken over by chocolate flavors, but they aren't as nice as they were in the aroma and seemed watered down with a slight bitter astringency to it. The taste isn't as sweet as the aroma lead to believe and I also pick up a s light maple syrup flavor. Towards the end I get a medium amount of astringent almost coffee like bitterness with a slight coffee like taste and some roasted grains, chocolate, and coffee on the aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, but the chocolate wasn't as full as it was in the aroma and everything didn't come together as well as it could have.

M- Pretty damn smooth, slightly creamy, watery, on the thin side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, it was just too thin and that made it feel watery.

Overall I thought this was an ok and an average example of a Chocolate Stout, it was going in the right direction when it came to the aroma but when it came to the taste is felt like a watered down version of the aroma and that was a bit of let down. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down pretty smooth, but the flavors would wear on me quickly so I think one would be enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it was nice and dominated by chocolate syrup, the appearance was also wasn't that bad. What I liked least about this beer is how watery it tasted and felt, this beer would be much better if the body was much thicker. I don't think I would buy this beer often, I would much rather have their Vanilla Java Porter, but it is worth trying once to see where you stand with it. All in all I thought this beer had a flavor that's pretty similar to Vanilla Java Porter, but the aroma was dominated by chocolate syrup, it was ok, but it's nothing I feel the need to drink again anytime soon. This was a decent attempt by Atwater but when it came to flavor and mouthfeel it fell short, better luck next time guys. (3,339 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Trooper shaker pint glass.

Similar to my recent opining about Horny Goat, I wonder why I keep trying out Atwater beers, especially when I rarely find any real quality peeking out from beneath the piles of mediocrity and terribility (terribleness? hm, that one's recognized by Firefox's spellcheck, anyway...). Regardless of the reason, this stuff is in my glass, and it pours a deep, dark sienna topped by a finger or so of sandstone foam. The nose lives up to the name, bright, rich, downright decadent chocolate cake (that's chocolate cake topped with chocolate icing) filling both nostrils to the point that I fear for my blood sugar levels. The taste then proceeds to alleviate any such fears, as it waters things down considerably, though there's still some latent sweetness hanging around like the guy who just can't take the hint. The result is a strange astringency that slices the sides of my tongue in the way that a bad Highlands scotch can. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a weak, slick-ish feel. Overall, yet another Atwater beer (and yet another rich-chocolate beer) that falls flat on its bleeding face. Not only does the flavor profile break whatever promises made by the smell, but the overly thin body ruins whatever goodness could have come through in spite. Pass, to say the least. (1,356 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Honestly, I bought this beer because I liked the typography of the label. Dark, barely translucent color like dark coffee. 1-finger tan head. Virtually no lacing after the head dissipated.

S - Chocolate syrup, cavendish tobacco and malt.

T - Syrupy dark chocolate with a coffee aftertaste. It's pretty good, but a bit muddled.

M - Medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

O - I had high hopes, so I am a little disappointed, but it was an interesting beer to try. This isn't a very drinkable beer by itself, but I feel like it would be a treat if it is paired well with something else. For some reason, ham with pineapple comes to mind as a good complement to this beer's flavors. (685 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -10.8%

Great visual and aroma. Flavor is a little disappointing. It's not as smooth and it lacks body. However, chocolate flavor does come through nicely in the after taste. (166 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

More bottles from my latest Philly run. I am feeling adventurous today and may try to eradicate the bottle backlog that has been an albatross since school started back.

I got a cap of a finger of dense, deep-tan head with good retention from my pour. Color was a deep, dark-brown allowing zero light penetration. Nose smelled like a liquid chocolate bar. I have to admit that I have been underwhelmed by some previous Atwater offerings, but this was showing real promise. Mouthfeel was thin, especially for a stout, but the taste was very chocolaty, although not what I would have expected from dark chocolate. Were they referring to the color? Hmmm. It was quite sweet, but still very chocolaty. Finish remained very sweet and this would be a dessert beer for me. Not bad, but not great, either. (797 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Pours jet black with an off white, almost tan head

S: Milk chocolate, chocolate malts, hints of vanilla/spicy sweetness

T: Huge milk chocolate up front, a hint of bitterness on the end. Honestly, it tastes like chocolate milk without any sugar.

O: A bit thin for a heavy chocolate stout, but it's not bad. Would I buy again? Probably not, but it's definitely not bad. (374 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours an opaque deep brown with hazy amber highlights and a foamy half inch tan head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing.

Very sweet, low quality chocolate and vanilla dominate the aroma. Coffee and light roast malt notes finish the profile. I've never smelled something so chocolatey and sweet.

Flavor reveals notes of cola, with underpinnings of dark chocolate throughout, accompanying a lightly acrid roast malt body. Initially a little sweet, the finish is pretty dry, bitter, and charred.

Body is slick and moderate, with moderate carbonation and a touch of alcohol warmth. Astringency mid palate is offputting.

Definitely chocolatey! A dessert of a beer. Would be more pleasant without that mid palate character and the cola notes. Too charred for my liking. (783 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dark brown and opaque with ruby highlights and a beige head of frothy foam that settles quickly. Rich aroma of cocoa and dark malt. Flavors of sweet cocoa upfront, morphs to coffee and marshmallow, notes of cola. Dry and tannic, slightly puckery and talcy. Average beer. (274 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -8.7%

Picked up a single bottle after trying one of their other beers and felt they definitely deserved another chance!

A- Poured into Big Eddy Snifter deep brown to black in color, thin tan head less than one finger.

S- Exactly as it reads on the bottle DARK CHOCOLATE its the major smell that comes through, a little roasty almost coffee in there.

T taste like bittersweet chocolate with a slight sweet and roast finish

M- medium light body similar mouth feel to a Schwartz beer but instead of the roast chocolate.

O- Good beer very desert esk but easy to drink. I would recommended giving it a try the chocolate isn't overwhelming like some other chocolate ales (663 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Well, I'm not expecting a whole lot from this beer, but could be interesting. I love how they have the month and year stamp on the bottom, it's just too bad they didn't actually stamp the date! What a waste.

An aggressive pour yields a small creamy 1/2 finger dark head that fades semi quickly, a little lacing, but most of the lacing is due to long legs on the sides surprisingly, I hope it's not too sweet. Absolutely pitch black, no light coming through this sucker.

Nose pretty much delivers what it promises, dark chocolate, and lots of it. Tons of dark chocolate and fudgey cocoa, an almost chewy oat chocolate mix, with some caramel and black malt notes, but that's about it, just chocolate.

Taste brings lots more chocolate, but seems like a watery chocolate taste, like making a thick hot cocoa but using water, and using too much water, a thin base of the beer. Dark chocolate in there, cocoa and a little fudge note, mild caramel note, as well as some toasty roasty notes, a bit of burnt roast as well. Mild bitter grassy hop comes through late, and that turns to bitter slight spicy hops on the finish, as it dries on the finish, a little powedered cocoa like I just emptied one of those Swiss Miss hot chocolate packs in my mouth and then drank water.

Mouth is lighter bod, lighter carbonation too, not as creamy as I expected it to be.

Overall, not too great. It has chocolate yes, but that's about all it has, and the mouth/body and base malt beer are just sooo thin and watery. It def could have benefited from some oats or creamy feel in general, or even just more body from the malts. (1,607 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Pint served on tap at california pizza kitchen bar novi ,mi

A: dark brown to black with a 2 finger head that dissipates rather quickly. Slight lacing throughout
S: best part of the beer! Wow. chocolate and maple syrup up font with cocoa powder
T: rush of milk chocolate and heavy carbonation that doesnt stick around the pallet for long .. Finishes nice an clean very sessionable
M: watery ... Mostly laking the chewiness i expected with the name of the brew yet very quaffable and pleasant chocolatey taste
O: solid brew. Kind of like the bud light of american chocolate stouts . Liked it! (592 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a deep dark chocolate (surprise!) with a very thin and quickly dissipating head. Smells of rich dark chocolate and roasted malt. Quite a bit of vanilla as well. Unfortunately that's where the goodness ends. Very thin body, as I suspected from how quickly the head dissapeared. Too watery. And because of that, it is too under flavored. Put a little more in there and this could've been stellar, but it falls short and into the just ok category. Glad I tried it, but unless they come out with an improved or imperial version, I won't revisit. (547 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Mix a sixer. Poured from bottle to pint glass. 2/27

Pours very dark deep brown with scarce foam on top. Deep dark chocolate nose, malty and sweet. Taste is on the lighter side. Chocolate. Falls a little flat though and off the mark. Not enough bitter. Just ok. (261 characters)

Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale from Atwater Brewery