2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale - Atwater Brewery

Decadent Dark Chocolate AleDecadent Dark Chocolate Ale

good

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ShanePB on 02-02-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 239 | Reviews: 59 | Show All Ratings:
donkeyrunner

1.8/5  rDev -50.7%

My wife likes chocolate beer. I like my wife. So I bought her some chocolate beer.

Dark brown with a thick cocoa head. Collar retention dots my glass on it's way down.

Smells like maple syrup. I was expecting chocolate.

Tastes like maple syrup with strong bitter vegetable oil in back. Again, for some reason I was expecting chocolate. Chocolate syrup burps though.

This is terrible. I like maple syrup but a) I was expecting chocolate and b) that's a nasty back end. That's yucky two ways.

10-05-2012 00:32:44 | More by donkeyrunner
krustster

1.93/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I had low expectations for this one, based on Atwater's Vanilla Porter being such a disappointment, but once again I was drawn in by their sharp artwork and the promise of "decadent chocolate".

To my surprise, even with lowered expectations, I was still disappointed! This beer poured very cola-like in appearance, built a nice looking head that disappeared quickly. It's a nice color (but what beer isn't?) but pretty transparent despite its dark brown color. Not a big deal but this turned out to be an indication of things to come.

The nose was the strongest point. Rich chocolate with a touch of vanilla, no indication of malts or whatever but the overall impression I got was closer to a high-level rum than any beer I've tried. There's still a little bit left in my glass and I keep sniffing it even now.
That was about it for the positives. Somehow all the wonderful chocolatey elements were strictly limited to the smell and none are evident in the taste. There's a slight malt character, with a the barest hint of the chocolate that was so "decadent" in the smell, and after that... nothing. It literally tastes like a watered down version of itself, or what I expected based on the intoxicating smell. Just bland, slightly sour, not decadent in the slightest. The mouth feel is similarly poor, just thin and weakly carbonated with no body. It really feels like drinking a Killian's or Bud that had slight chocolate flavor added. As it warms, instead of the flavor opening up, it just gets bland and kind of gross. I'd drink this over something like PBR but what's the point? If not for the delicious aroma, this beer would be a total waste of money. When you consider that a four pack of this costs the same as Founders Breakfast Stout or some of the excellent New Holland High Gravity Series (here in Michigan at least) there is absolutely no reason to buy this.

11-27-2013 04:20:31 | More by krustster
brutusmuktuk

2.38/5  rDev -34.8%

Dark brown color, no head. Has an amazing dark chocolate smell, but the taste is underwhelming. Despite the promise of the aroma, I got very little in terms of flavor. Has a watery feel. The taste is strongly reminiscent of a weak Dr. Pepper. Palate is strongly carbonated and comes off a little too harsh.

02-19-2014 22:32:50 | More by brutusmuktuk
louisianajones

Connecticut

2.61/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Just bought this from Crazy Bruce in Bristol CT as part of a mixed sixer. Aggressively poured into a Guinness glass.

This ale pours a nice dark brown, almost black, with very little head or lacing. Smell is chocolate first and foremost, a hint of bread, and not much else. Heavily, harshly carbonated. Taste begins as chocolate soda; the only clue I have that this is beer is at the finish, which is thin and watery with some nondescript beer flavor. The chocolate flavor reminds me of chocolate NECCO wafers. I've had chocolate stouts that were much better. This tastes more like soda than beer to me. Won't be drinking this again.

09-14-2013 00:28:10 | More by louisianajones
Andrew61923

2.85/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from 12 oz bottle from October 2012 into Portsmouth Brewery tulip. Had sat out of fridge for 10 minutes before pouring.

A: Almost black pour with half finger head after vigorous pour. Had expected a bigger head and little to no lacing. I don't care about lacing, but I was a bit surprised there wasn't more going on here.

S: Chocolate, bordering on artificial and/or over-sweetened. A lot of sugar.

T: I didn't realize I poured a Coke into this glass. I'm not picking up on any of the chocolate notes of the nose. No way this is a stout.

M: Way too thin for the style. I'd say this is a confused brown ale if anything. There either needs to be some thickening for the next batch or a reduction of the effect the chocolate has on the beer, as this is way too sweet (and dark) for a brown.

O: I'm let down here. The smell started off pretty strong, but it was all downhill from there. There are better options out there, even if this 6er was right around $10.

11-17-2012 04:32:58 | More by Andrew61923
TheBrewo

2.99/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

We pour a brew of the darkest mahogany brown coloring, holding a half finger tall head of light tan bubbles showing okay retention. Spotty lacing is left clinging around the glass. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be moderate. The nose gives big milk chocolates off the bat, bringing memories of sipping on hot cocoa by a roaring fire. Toffee, Tootsie Roll, white sugar, and fatty whole milk add creamy sweetness. Mixing to fill are notes of banana fruitiness, raw coffee malts, coiny metallics, general roastiness, marshmallow, and faint boozy bite. Our first impression is that there is less bold balancing sweetness than expected, with a decently robust start, but a rather watered finish. As we sip, the taste opens with straight chocolate milk smoothness, lightly roasted coffee and chocolate malts, lactic sourness, lipid, mineral water, and very faint plastic phenols. Gas station hazelnut coffee pulls us to the peak, where a blend of soured roasted coffee malts, white flour, metallics, corny adjuncts, and overly sweet German Kinder chocolates meet for the attempted balance. The finishing wash comes across as severely watered through, with sweetness of white sugars and stale marshmallow, along with weak milk chocolate, banana mash, metallics, and lightly soured lactics. The aftertaste breathes of that soured grain, even milkiness, banana milkshake, cinnamon essence, mineral, sweeter whipped cream, and lightly adjuncty filler grain. The body is on the lighter side, and the carbonation is medium. The mouth is cooled and thinly coated, with eventual faint dryness down the center of the hard palate. Each sip gives nice slurp, froth, cream, sip, pop, and glug. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, the strongest aspect of this beer was its aroma. This showed big chocolates, brown malts, sugars, vanillas, and general sweetness, certainly deserving of the title of “decadence”. Where we lost points was through the end of the sip, where the flavoring was almost entirely washed out with watery grain, affecting not only the taste, but also the feel. Atwater has continued to disappoint us in cohesion and final execution of their styles, so I guess we’ll have to wait for the next one in hopes of finding something that is worth coming back to.

05-05-2013 00:38:25 | More by TheBrewo
biglite351

A - considerable light around edges with a short off-white head.

S - Hershey chocolate syrup with a hint of dark chocolate and fruit.

T - generic chocolate syrup and q hint of toasted malt.

M - thin with light coating. Not much feel, almost like an Irish dry stout.

O - not bad but not good enough to break into the rotation.

08-28-2012 21:19:23 | More by biglite351
StoutHunter

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I heard about this beer a while ago and i' have been waiting for it show up since, so when I saw it on the shelf at my local store I knew I needed to pick up a bottle. The bottle was notched July 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty plain and pretty much the same as all their other beers, it's not that great looking. It poured a nice dark black color that only had a slight ruby hue at the bottom when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit lacing. I like the look of this beer, it's true to style and I have no complaints.

S- The aroma of this beer is dominated by chocolate aromas, at first I get a little bit of bitter chocolate then there's a huge Hershey syrup aroma that pretty much dominated the aroma of this beer. Towards the end I get some vanilla, cocoa powder, coffee, and a slight brown sugar like aroma that gives the aroma a pretty high amount of sweetness. I liked the aroma of this beer, the aroma is all about the chocolate, but it was a little on the sweet side.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma just a little more watered down, it starts off with a slight grainy roasted malt flavor that is quickly taken over by chocolate flavors, but they aren't as nice as they were in the aroma and seemed watered down with a slight bitter astringency to it. The taste isn't as sweet as the aroma lead to believe and I also pick up a s light maple syrup flavor. Towards the end I get a medium amount of astringent almost coffee like bitterness with a slight coffee like taste and some roasted grains, chocolate, and coffee on the aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, but the chocolate wasn't as full as it was in the aroma and everything didn't come together as well as it could have.

M- Pretty damn smooth, slightly creamy, watery, on the thin side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, it was just too thin and that made it feel watery.

Overall I thought this was an ok and an average example of a Chocolate Stout, it was going in the right direction when it came to the aroma but when it came to the taste is felt like a watered down version of the aroma and that was a bit of let down. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down pretty smooth, but the flavors would wear on me quickly so I think one would be enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it was nice and dominated by chocolate syrup, the appearance was also wasn't that bad. What I liked least about this beer is how watery it tasted and felt, this beer would be much better if the body was much thicker. I don't think I would buy this beer often, I would much rather have their Vanilla Java Porter, but it is worth trying once to see where you stand with it. All in all I thought this beer had a flavor that's pretty similar to Vanilla Java Porter, but the aroma was dominated by chocolate syrup, it was ok, but it's nothing I feel the need to drink again anytime soon. This was a decent attempt by Atwater but when it came to flavor and mouthfeel it fell short, better luck next time guys.

08-31-2012 03:54:20 | More by StoutHunter
woodychandler

3.25/5  rDev -11%

More bottles from my latest Philly run. I am feeling adventurous today and may try to eradicate the bottle backlog that has been an albatross since school started back.

I got a cap of a finger of dense, deep-tan head with good retention from my pour. Color was a deep, dark-brown allowing zero light penetration. Nose smelled like a liquid chocolate bar. I have to admit that I have been underwhelmed by some previous Atwater offerings, but this was showing real promise. Mouthfeel was thin, especially for a stout, but the taste was very chocolaty, although not what I would have expected from dark chocolate. Were they referring to the color? Hmmm. It was quite sweet, but still very chocolaty. Finish remained very sweet and this would be a dessert beer for me. Not bad, but not great, either.

12-15-2012 21:17:10 | More by woodychandler
barczar

Kentucky

3.25/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours an opaque deep brown with hazy amber highlights and a foamy half inch tan head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing.

Very sweet, low quality chocolate and vanilla dominate the aroma. Coffee and light roast malt notes finish the profile. I've never smelled something so chocolatey and sweet.

Flavor reveals notes of cola, with underpinnings of dark chocolate throughout, accompanying a lightly acrid roast malt body. Initially a little sweet, the finish is pretty dry, bitter, and charred.

Body is slick and moderate, with moderate carbonation and a touch of alcohol warmth. Astringency mid palate is offputting.

Definitely chocolatey! A dessert of a beer. Would be more pleasant without that mid palate character and the cola notes. Too charred for my liking.

06-24-2013 22:29:38 | More by barczar
Krakistophales

Connecticut

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Pours jet black with an off white, almost tan head

S: Milk chocolate, chocolate malts, hints of vanilla/spicy sweetness

T: Huge milk chocolate up front, a hint of bitterness on the end. Honestly, it tastes like chocolate milk without any sugar.

O: A bit thin for a heavy chocolate stout, but it's not bad. Would I buy again? Probably not, but it's definitely not bad.

06-10-2013 01:56:03 | More by Krakistophales
aleric

Colorado

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Honestly, I bought this beer because I liked the typography of the label. Dark, barely translucent color like dark coffee. 1-finger tan head. Virtually no lacing after the head dissipated.

S - Chocolate syrup, cavendish tobacco and malt.

T - Syrupy dark chocolate with a coffee aftertaste. It's pretty good, but a bit muddled.

M - Medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

O - I had high hopes, so I am a little disappointed, but it was an interesting beer to try. This isn't a very drinkable beer by itself, but I feel like it would be a treat if it is paired well with something else. For some reason, ham with pineapple comes to mind as a good complement to this beer's flavors.

10-19-2012 05:39:00 | More by aleric
tjshippen

Wisconsin

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Picked up a single bottle after trying one of their other beers and felt they definitely deserved another chance!

A- Poured into Big Eddy Snifter deep brown to black in color, thin tan head less than one finger.

S- Exactly as it reads on the bottle DARK CHOCOLATE its the major smell that comes through, a little roasty almost coffee in there.

T taste like bittersweet chocolate with a slight sweet and roast finish

M- medium light body similar mouth feel to a Schwartz beer but instead of the roast chocolate.

O- Good beer very desert esk but easy to drink. I would recommended giving it a try the chocolate isn't overwhelming like some other chocolate ales

09-10-2012 12:07:55 | More by tjshippen
Drk93TT

3.34/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Pint served on tap at california pizza kitchen bar novi ,mi

A: dark brown to black with a 2 finger head that dissipates rather quickly. Slight lacing throughout
S: best part of the beer! Wow. chocolate and maple syrup up font with cocoa powder
T: rush of milk chocolate and heavy carbonation that doesnt stick around the pallet for long .. Finishes nice an clean very sessionable
M: watery ... Mostly laking the chewiness i expected with the name of the brew yet very quaffable and pleasant chocolatey taste
O: solid brew. Kind of like the bud light of american chocolate stouts . Liked it!

12-02-2013 01:12:25 | More by Drk93TT
zeledonia

3.43/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Tasted 13 November 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours dark brown. With light behind it, I can make out clarity and some reddish tones at the edges. One finger of medium-tan head, okay retention and lacing.

Smell is interesting. Reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. The chocolate is more like carob chips or something. It's a nutty, pale chocolate, sweet and milky rich. I finally placed it; it smells like the fake mochas you get from coffee vending machine. But here I actually like it; wish the stout were a little more present.

Taste is much more like a typical stout, though kinda dull. Mostly roasty; want more roast. That blast of sweetness and nice weirdness in the smell is only there a little bit. No problems, but nothing to impress me.

Feel is okay. Medium-bodied, a little light. Carbonation is fine. I want more body, more fullness.

I could like this beer. But at every step, I'm left wanting more. More flavor, more richness, more body. It's not bad, it's just not enough.

01-10-2014 15:58:11 | More by zeledonia
RWLawman

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A - Jet black, with almost no head whatsoever.

S - Dark chocolate, all the way. Cocoa powder is all I'm getting, but with a beer called "decadent chocolate" that's probably how it should be.

T - Heavy dark chocolate presence, with the slightest hint of roasted malts tucked away in there as well. This beer has a delicious chocolate flavor, but due to the next category, it misses it's mark as a phenomenal offering.

M - Thin in terms of texture, but a little too much carbonation. If this beer were made with less carbonation, and a more silky or sticky texture, it would be a home run hit. I could imagine this being absolutely delicious in a nitro-tap.

O - A pretty good beer, which I do recommend at least trying. If nothing else, the chocolate presence is nice, if you're like me, and absolutely love chocolate and beer, and the two together. Just be prepared to be a little disappointed, because this beer had the potential to be great.

03-15-2013 21:50:13 | More by RWLawman
brentk56

3.49/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a dark chocolate color (what else?) with a beige head that leaves a few streaks of lacing behind

Smell: Smells like a Hershey's dark chocolate bar - not the great depth of a quality chocolate but just a nice commercial chocolatey aroma

Taste: At the outset, the chocolate comes right through on the tastebuds but by mid-palate, the flavor starts to fade and is joined by a chalky/waxy taste; after the swallow, the flavors fade quicky and there is a husky quality to the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Promise unfulfilled - after a very nice start, the chocolate was not sustained and ultimately the beer was a disappointment

04-05-2013 22:17:57 | More by brentk56
chinchill

South Carolina

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottle is notch dated March 2013.

Aroma: Chocolate! ... but more milk and medium chocolate and chocolate topping than dark chocolate. Hints of coffee and toasted grains.

Pours a dark reddish-brown, near black in the glass, with a small tan head that soon dissipates into a thin ring.

T: Sweet and chocolatey, as the nose suggests. Probably better categorized as a milk stout.

Mouthfeel: Feels too thin. Light carbonation.

Overall: Delivers on the promised chocolate, but sweet balance, thin body, and a lack of complexity limit its appeal. Still, woth trying.

07-31-2013 01:51:07 | More by chinchill
beerthulhu

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

- Bot. 6/13. Consumed 11/13.

A: Rich chocolate pour produces a modest, khaki head with a mildly good retention rate. Milky film lacing coats the vessel with a decent rate of coverage.

S: The freshest of cocoa powder arrives on the nose, probably the freshest of which i think i ever experienced. Rich wet chocolate, sweet, arrives with a big initial burst. Kit kat chocolate scent, fresh hot chocolate with a hint of marshmellow finishes things out.

T: The flavor was milky chocolate, cocoa powder, soft coffee. Flavor seems a bit thin when compared to the full robust nose and expecations of the label. Light coffee, somewhat bitter chocolate roast is followed by a slight mention of creamer.

M: soft and creamy, milky textured, with a light-medium body ahs some cocoa powder texture to it. Carbonation feels about right, doesnt get in the way of itself, but hardly is a figure of strong point.

O: Overall the nose is the best aspect here, fresh, strong and powdery, the flavor falls off a bit, decent but a bit disappointing when compared to the nose, and the mouthful is okay, but could of been more lush and full. Drinks more like a milk stout imho with a nice chocolate aspect.

12-03-2013 02:10:42 | More by beerthulhu
farrago

3.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Mild head, maybe half a finger of deep tan which is gone lickety-split, not much stick in the lacing which is more of a thin, slippery sheet than anything else. While the liquid is pure black it doesn’t seem “impenetrably dense” for effect’s sake, thin aura of yellow around the rims, there you can see a blip of carbonation. The nose is extremely creamy, maple syrup, molten milk chocolate, caramel, coffee ice cream, malted milk balls, light cherry fruit, not overtly sugary nor is it lacking posture, simply a one trick pony. It’s light to medium-bodied in the mouth and drier than expected based on the nose, tighter punch to the carbonation too. The chocolate, cocoa, coffee, malt flavors are all there, however, they lack resonance and depth. More grains and oats and a dried to blanched nuttiness as well. Here there’s some herbal hoppy kick. Any fruit gets cloaked by the roast, minor cherry, plum at best. Tacky character, dries onto your tongue. Plenty of retronasal cocoa powder. Unfortunately it is sort of lifeless and turns watery at the end. Ehh, what can you do.

06-18-2013 22:23:11 | More by farrago
mountdew1

New Hampshire

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a nice extremely dark opaque brown. Poured a practically non-existent head. Aroma was a very rich milk chocolate, slightly over sweet. Taste was a sweet chocolate up front before shifting to a slightly smokey flavor with a bit of bitterness. Felt ok in the mouth. A bit of chew, slightly thick, coated well, but no carbonation at all. Overall not bad, but a few notches short of what it could be.

10-08-2012 23:32:21 | More by mountdew1
OtherShoe2

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours dark brown with a scant bubbly off-white head. Gone in a flash. No lace.

I get big dark roast malt, vanilla bean, cocoa up front, with charred notes behind it all.

Not super chocolatey, with a mild presence. I like this. Nice dark roasted malt with a nice balance between rich sweetness and bitterness.

A bit too thin and a little too carbonated. Fizzy water element is not nice.

Overall, not too bad. Good to try.

03-04-2012 13:42:00 | More by OtherShoe2
RblWthACoz

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The nose on this one is a very good advertiser. Unfortunately, the rest of the beer doesn't live up to things. Kind of chalky with cocoa or something. Doesn't mesh well with the beer at all. Meh. This is looking quite like a waste of money and something I don't want to finish.

12-23-2012 04:00:58 | More by RblWthACoz
keithmurray

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - very dark brown liquid with an head

Smell - smell is very rich and sweet chocolate, reminiscent of Hershey's syrup

Taste - not as enticing as the smell would lead you to believe, the chocolate is there, but there isn't a lot of complexity going on here

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, high carbonation, body is coming in light for a stout, there is some hop bitterness at the back of this, but the flavor comes in tasting a bit artificial

Overall - this would serve as a good gateway beer for converting beer drinkers over to craft. For the seasoned palate, this may be a letdown. Okay beer that lacks the complexity or the heft of body that I normally associate with stouts.

Price Point - ~$2.25/12oz single

09-21-2013 00:27:35 | More by keithmurray
thecheapies

3.61/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Very dark and mucky chocolate brown. Looks like a porter. Head has a good earthy tan color.

Dark chocolate syrup, sweet roast, presence of lactose, caramel, and hints of French roast coffee. Sweet and indulgent.

Some attenuation comes between good bitter cocoa and dark chocolate flavors. Aided by a deep roast, barley grain reveals wort-y maltose and slight char. Caramel and demerara sugar notes come through, also. Happy that the sweetness is actually well job that is well-maintained.

Feels a tad thin. Nice whoosh feel from the tightly-wound carbonation. Gruff, in a good way.

Decent little beer. Good flavor. Worthy.

09-14-2013 17:17:29 | More by thecheapies