Atwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Traverse City Cherry WheatAtwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat

Atwater Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: GRPunk on 04-08-2012

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 112 | Reviews: 28
3.09/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz bottle. Fairly sweet, the cherry flavor is fairly natural tasting.

3.36/5  rDev +9.4%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled in 4/2015. Pours lightly hazy/cloudy reddish copper color with a 2 finger dense and rocky light khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice dense soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a large amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of light sweet/tart cherry, wheat, cracker, toasted bread, herbal, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Okay aromas with solid balance of cherry, pale malt, and earthy hop notes; with very weak strength. Taste of light sweet/tart cherry, wheat, cracker, toasted bread, herbal, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Light herbal/spicy bitterness and fruit tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of cherry, wheat, cracker, toasted bread, herbal, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Good balance and solid robustness of cherry, pale malt, and earthy hop flavors; with a good malt/bitterness/tartness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium-high carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a very smooth, crisp, and slightly creamy/acidic mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.5%. Overall this is a decent fruited wheat beer style. All around good balance and solid robustness of cherry, pale malt, and earthy hop flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A fairly enjoyable offering.

1.5/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not as good as the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

3.35/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Clear amber with a moderate cap of foam.
Aroma-Wheat, faint cherry note
Taste-Subtle cherry tartness, light-bodied and refreshing, but generally lacking any depth of character.

3.16/5  rDev +2.9%

This is a pretty standard cherry wheat. Nice cherry flavor with some tartness. Serviceable

3.79/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nice, smooth, and easy drinking summer brew. It looks great, a pale reddish orange with a thin foamy top. It is pretty clear with a very light carbonation. It smells like a mild fruit juice, it barely smells like a beer at all. I tastes like a mix between a mild wheat beer and slightly tart cherry juice. It is a nice blend of flavors.

2.16/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Light carbonated feel. Has a SWEET cherry taste that is more unexpected and different, yes. I know it it a cherry beer but I thought it would have a sweet and tart taste similar to cherry coke???

1.43/5  rDev -53.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Just not my style. It may be good for the type of beer that it is, but to me it just doesn't taste good.

3.5/5  rDev +14%

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance-The beer is served a deep amber color with a hint of ruby red mixed within. There is a small white head that sits atop the brew upon serving, with it having a light level of retention and fading to leave a decent level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell- The aroma was somewhat what you would expect for a cherry wheat- cherry and wheat. Along with these aromas are some lighter smells of a caramel sweetness as well as a little bit of a grainy aroma.

Taste- The taste begins with a rather cherry sweet and lighter wheat and bready flavor. As the taste advances the sweet cherry lessens a bit but is replaced by a little bit of a caramel sweetness. All the while a little bit of graininess and some light yeast comes to the tongue. With some flavors of a little bit of toasted bread coming to the tongue, one is left with a rather sweet, but not cloying, cherry wheat flavor to be left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is on the average side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is on the average side as well. For the style the combination of moderate body and carbonation are perfect as they really nicely complement both the fruit cherry and wheat flavors of the brew. Overall, rather well done.

Overall - A decent cherry wheat, but nothing overly exceptional. A good try, but overall, a Sam Adams cherry wheat is much better, at a comparable cost, and it just as easy to find.. so I would say go it instead.

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A- dark copper amber color with small head and very little retention, some visibility

S- cherry, lemon, wheat, and malt

T- light malt, tart cherry, hint of mint, not very complex and pretty one dimensional

M- flat and watery with light body

O- I had high hopes but was let down. Yes it's refreshing however it feels like they took a watered down wheat beer and added cherry

The worst beer I've ever tried.

2.9/5  rDev -5.5%

Clear dark copper/caramel colored pour with a minimal head and light carbonation. Very light aroma with just a hint of cherries. Light bodied with a taste that has grain and cherry juice. Nothing really stands out. A very thin beer. Its refreshing but there’s just not much too it.

2.91/5  rDev -5.2%

The look of this beer is very clean. It has a slight cherry aroma. However the bitter cherry taste is not so pleasing. It has a goodmouthful feel. Other then the bitter cherry taste it's a decent beer, however not a beer I would choose. I have had better fruit beers.

3.11/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a fairly clear golden brown, with a lingering cream head.

Grain and very subtle cherry are evident in the aroma, but there's really not much there.

Flavor reveals underpinnings of cherry tartness, without the cherry flavor. There's a substantial toasted malt backbone, but the tartness rounds out the finish.

Body is a touch light, with carbonation on the higher side.

I expected more wheat. Could also use more malt backbone to balance the tartness of the cherries.

[Suggested Glassware: Weizen Glass]

The pour was a cloudy medium brown with a strong reddish hue and a huge (3-4 finger) sudsy head that reduced slowly, down to a thick cap which lasted throughout and had fair sticky lacing.

The aroma was kind of mild with a light hay- like malt and a funky dusty yeast with hints of cherry, barley and wheat.

The taste was lightly malty and a tad sweet with a strong note of cherries from the get go, with a bit of wheat slipping in along with a mild bitterness and a lightly tart ending. The flavor lasted and average duration proceeding the swallow, with a lightly bitter fruity taste left behind.

Mouthfeel was light in body with a thin dry texture and an almost fizzy carbonation.

Overall this is a decent Wheat Ale with a strong presence of fruit and a touch of wheat. Be careful upon opening this one though, it fizzed up out of the bottle and onto the counter. I was quick though and only lost a very little...

3.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Highly carbonated! Pours a large (3 inch) off-white-to-white creamy head which never fully dissipates. Spicy wheat and light cherry in the nose. Light body with a touch of acidity on the palate. Very light cherry notes on the palate (ever chew/suck on cherry pits?). Poured with a slight haze and makes beautiful Belgian lace. Refreshing, and bright with a medicinal hint. Lingers nicely. Final pour released much yeast which fell to the bottom of the glass.

2.81/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Pours a hazy amberish ruby red in color with light to moderate amounts of gentle visible carbonation along the edges of the glass and some rosé + crimson red highlights. The beer has a finger tall creamy fizzy pinkish off-white head that slowly reduces to a large patch of thin film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Overall the entire aroma of this beer is rather light with some very light notes of wheat and some light to moderate notes of cherry (rather natural smelling, not

T: Upfront there are light flavors of wheat which persist through the finish along with light flavors of tart cherries and just a hint of something metallic.

M: Just slightly heavier than light bodied with very heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Nothing horrible about this beer but nothing really exciting either - I could easily drink more of this as it is non-offensive, light, and easy drinking but it is just not that interesting.

2.71/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

My buddy's fiance is from the Traverse City area, and she has told me very good things about the cherries that come therefrom. Hopes have been raised. This stuff pours a clear sunrise cherrywood topped by a finger of off-khaki foam. The nose comprises light cherry syrup, mild biscuit, and the vague sensation of graham cracker way in the distance. The taste brings in more of the same, though the cherries seem a bit old, colorless, and there's a general feel of cracked wheat throughout. It just doesn't work. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, this could have been much worse, but it's still a pretty sad beer. The cherry flavor does no justice to the rumors I've heard of the fruit itself, and the beer hardly wants to have much of a conversation at all, much less one that deals very deeply with the subject matter at hand.

2.77/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bottled April 2013. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: Darker than I was expecting... looks like a dark cherry, appropriately enough. Sand colored doesn't last long, and there's really no lacing. Bleh. Has a nice color, but that's about it.

Smell: Quite a bit of cherry, but there's actually a malt aroma... smells more like a beer than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, that's for sure. Not much to it. It has a pleasant aroma, though.

Taste/feel: Eehk.. drink this one cold -- that's all I'll say. As this warmed up, I got this really odd bitterness that I can't quite explain. It's not a hop bitterness, but almost like a bitterness you'd get from sucking on a tree root or something. It's bizarre, and it's there all over the tongue, and lingers. When this beer is colder, that's not much of a problem. Traverse City Cherry *Wheat* also had me wondering where the wheat was until the aftertaste, as well. The feel is light and pretty thing -- definitely an "after a long, hot day" sort of beer, for me.

Not a very good beer. I can say that it doesn't have a medicinal sort of FLAVOR that can sometimes be a problem in a lot of cherry beers, but that weird bitterness is a killer, and ruining the beer for me. For what it's worth, it'd be average-at-best even if that bitterness was out of the equation. Can't recommend this one.

3.43/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Basic beer, drinkable. Mild cherry aroma and understated in taste. Built up mouthfeel, as if I am rolling over a gumball. Nothing special, though cherry makes it half interesting. Fast dissipitating head.Bottle from Steve in Warren.A good idea that needs better execution.

3.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Going into this I know it's an old bottle (bottled in July) but hopefully it will be worth the dollar I paid.

A - Man I had no idea a "cherry" or "wheat" beer can be such a shade of dark brown. Head seems pretty good giving me less than a 1/4 inch that pulls back to a thick lace ring that sticks around for quite a bit.

S - Not bad the cherry is there but not in a "preservative" way. I am actually glad this beer doesn't smell like cherry cough syrup. Not getting much wheat either.

T - Well there is the wheat it's in the finish. My impression of this is not bad it's just not really much of anything. Cherry is there but far from tart and even the wheat tends to disappear after a few sips. The only redeeming factor is that it it is fairly sweet with no off flavors.

M - Thin and watery with not much flavor.

Overall definitely no Samuel Smith Cherry or even Founders cherry but it is still a very drinkable fruit beer. If anything I am not sure the hate since it's more beer than "fruit juice" since mostly manly of drinkers hate that sort of thing. Not worth a revisit, yet in my opinion better than Samuel Adams Cherry wheat.

2.36/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am really confounded as to where all of these Atwater Block beers in my backlog came from. If someone provided them to me and would like to be recognized, just let me know. All I can figure is that either Tone77 brought them by at one point or I bought them on a Pinocchio's run.

From the bottle: "Beer Is Good"; "Enjoy Responsibly"; "Malt Beverage Brewed With Lemon".

I know that previous reviewers did not enjoy their bottles, but I remain hopeful. I have taken to calling myself, among other things, The Will Rodgers of Beer since I have never met a beer that I did not like at some level, even if it was simply as an alcohol delivery system.

I have never been to Traverse City, but I remember expediting parts on order from a company headquartered there while attached to the Self-Defense Test Ship (SDTS) in Port Hueneme, CA while my Michigan-expat supervisor reminisced with the fellow to whom I was talking. A couple of years later, while on my last tour of duty on Diego Garcia, I ordered cherry preserves, cherry butter and cherry spread from a place in Traverse City. Man, the taste lingers with me in my dreams! Let us hope that this comes close ...

My pour netted better than two fingers of foamy, fizzy tawny head with moderate retention. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity, both unusual for a wheat beer. Nose had a faint scent of cherries and I girded myself for a letdown. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the cherry taste/tartness just seemed to be lacking in the mouth.Finish was equally uninspired and I found myself wishing for some of those cherry preserves. My apologies to the brewery, but I hope that your hometown Tigers fare better in the 2012 World Series than your beers have in my estimation.

2.33/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours a hazy copper color with a white head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving no lacing on the glass. The aroma, especially for being a "cherry wheat" beer, is very hard to pick up on. Some cherries, wheat, sweet malt, and a touch of floral hops come out, but you have to REALLY sit there and concentrate and smell. It's far too weak. The taste isn't much better. Tart cherries up front, much like cherry "juice" rather than cherry "beer" - very soft and bland. The wheat flavor is strong, almost overpowering much of the cherry taste. The beer left a weird, chalky feeling in my mouth afterwards. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall, a mediocre beer at best. Bland and boring, and the aromas/flavors that ARE there, aren't very good. Steer clear of this one.

2.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a bottle into a beer mug. Date of bottling was April of 2012, it is now July of 2012.

Appearance: Beer pours with a mighty head, color is a heavy copper. Head recedes slowly leaving cobweb lacing.

Smell: A good deal of sour/tart scent from the cherries, and a touch of sweetness from the malt.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer is medium-bodied, with minimal carbonation. Very bitter, a good deal of sourness. There are cherries, yes, but they are not in season. Almost like a wine, there's not a great deal of consistency to the maltiness.

Overall: Wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Samuel Adams has a much better offering in this category. Now, if the ABV were about double what it is, they might have something here...LoL

2.82/5  rDev -8.1%

I picked up a six-pack of Atwater's Traverse City Cherry Wheat for $9 today at Busch'sl. I noticed the label and though I would give it a try on this 97 degree day, so we'll see. It was notched May '12.

A- I drank it from the bottle. So, I guess my review might be a bit lacking.

S- It has a sweet nose to it with a bit of hops and maybe a dash of caramel. So far I am not overwhelmed with the notion of cherries. Although, I guess if it did then it probably wouldn't be a very good beer (it would be a cordial/wine).

T- The taste seems boring and bland. It starts off with a very faint ancestor of cherries. As the beer goes in the flavor of cherry is instantly quelled with wheat beer. In the end it leaves the mouth dry and ready for another drink.

M- Smooth, crisp, and dry.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I wasn't impressed with this beer. I thought it was a waste of two dollars. I say two dollars because I could have purchased an 'average' six-pack of wheat beer for $7 that would have pleased me better then this.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »