Atwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Traverse City Cherry WheatAtwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat

Atwater Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: GRPunk on 04-08-2012)

The worst beer I've ever tried.

backer80, Aug 17, 2014

minarobin, May 22, 2014

Tedyjam, Sep 20, 2013

drchaseums, Jul 28, 2014
2.31/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours a hazy copper color with a white head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving no lacing on the glass. The aroma, especially for being a "cherry wheat" beer, is very hard to pick up on. Some cherries, wheat, sweet malt, and a touch of floral hops come out, but you have to REALLY sit there and concentrate and smell. It's far too weak. The taste isn't much better. Tart cherries up front, much like cherry "juice" rather than cherry "beer" - very soft and bland. The wheat flavor is strong, almost overpowering much of the cherry taste. The beer left a weird, chalky feeling in my mouth afterwards. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall, a mediocre beer at best. Bland and boring, and the aromas/flavors that ARE there, aren't very good. Steer clear of this one.

tectactoe, Oct 04, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am really confounded as to where all of these Atwater Block beers in my backlog came from. If someone provided them to me and would like to be recognized, just let me know. All I can figure is that either Tone77 brought them by at one point or I bought them on a Pinocchio's run.

From the bottle: "Beer Is Good"; "Enjoy Responsibly"; "Malt Beverage Brewed With Lemon".

I know that previous reviewers did not enjoy their bottles, but I remain hopeful. I have taken to calling myself, among other things, The Will Rodgers of Beer since I have never met a beer that I did not like at some level, even if it was simply as an alcohol delivery system.

I have never been to Traverse City, but I remember expediting parts on order from a company headquartered there while attached to the Self-Defense Test Ship (SDTS) in Port Hueneme, CA while my Michigan-expat supervisor reminisced with the fellow to whom I was talking. A couple of years later, while on my last tour of duty on Diego Garcia, I ordered cherry preserves, cherry butter and cherry spread from a place in Traverse City. Man, the taste lingers with me in my dreams! Let us hope that this comes close ...

My pour netted better than two fingers of foamy, fizzy tawny head with moderate retention. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity, both unusual for a wheat beer. Nose had a faint scent of cherries and I girded myself for a letdown. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the cherry taste/tartness just seemed to be lacking in the mouth.Finish was equally uninspired and I found myself wishing for some of those cherry preserves. My apologies to the brewery, but I hope that your hometown Tigers fare better in the 2012 World Series than your beers have in my estimation.

woodychandler, Oct 25, 2012

Danielr26, Feb 18, 2013

radiofish, Jul 09, 2013

CWhite, Sep 30, 2012

sblanton83, Mar 04, 2014

max9371, Jul 10, 2012

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A- dark copper amber color with small head and very little retention, some visibility

S- cherry, lemon, wheat, and malt

T- light malt, tart cherry, hint of mint, not very complex and pretty one dimensional

M- flat and watery with light body

O- I had high hopes but was let down. Yes it's refreshing however it feels like they took a watered down wheat beer and added cherry

barnabasdog, Aug 18, 2014
2.69/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

My buddy's fiance is from the Traverse City area, and she has told me very good things about the cherries that come therefrom. Hopes have been raised. This stuff pours a clear sunrise cherrywood topped by a finger of off-khaki foam. The nose comprises light cherry syrup, mild biscuit, and the vague sensation of graham cracker way in the distance. The taste brings in more of the same, though the cherries seem a bit old, colorless, and there's a general feel of cracked wheat throughout. It just doesn't work. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, this could have been much worse, but it's still a pretty sad beer. The cherry flavor does no justice to the rumors I've heard of the fruit itself, and the beer hardly wants to have much of a conversation at all, much less one that deals very deeply with the subject matter at hand.

TMoney2591, Jul 27, 2013
2.74/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bottled April 2013. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: Darker than I was expecting... looks like a dark cherry, appropriately enough. Sand colored doesn't last long, and there's really no lacing. Bleh. Has a nice color, but that's about it.

Smell: Quite a bit of cherry, but there's actually a malt aroma... smells more like a beer than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, that's for sure. Not much to it. It has a pleasant aroma, though.

Taste/feel: Eehk.. drink this one cold -- that's all I'll say. As this warmed up, I got this really odd bitterness that I can't quite explain. It's not a hop bitterness, but almost like a bitterness you'd get from sucking on a tree root or something. It's bizarre, and it's there all over the tongue, and lingers. When this beer is colder, that's not much of a problem. Traverse City Cherry *Wheat* also had me wondering where the wheat was until the aftertaste, as well. The feel is light and pretty thing -- definitely an "after a long, hot day" sort of beer, for me.

Not a very good beer. I can say that it doesn't have a medicinal sort of FLAVOR that can sometimes be a problem in a lot of cherry beers, but that weird bitterness is a killer, and ruining the beer for me. For what it's worth, it'd be average-at-best even if that bitterness was out of the equation. Can't recommend this one.

Alextricity, Jun 15, 2013

DruC4, Aug 22, 2014

MahjongNucleus, Jul 20, 2014

Kunstman, Oct 11, 2012

dasunder, Dec 10, 2012

HardyA, Jun 14, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Traverse City Cherry Wheat for $1.69 today at The Lager Mill. This is a new brew for Atwater, saw it at the store today and thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. It was notched April 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label is pretty typical for Atwater, but I like the color and the cherry tree by the Grand Traverse Bay, it's above average for them. It poured a slightly brown copper color that took on a nice copper/amber color when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of head that died down to a thin ring that left some spotty lacing. The beer doesn't look too bad.

S- The aroma is little lighter then I expected. The first thing that I pick up are the cherries which impart a cherry juice aroma, the cherries aren't the intense and don't smell artificial. After that comes some basic wheat and malt aromas that were pretty light and imparted a light wheaty and slightly malty aroma with a medium amount of sweetness. The aroma was a little bland, I would say it's average at best.

T- The taste seems to be just about as bland as the aroma was. It starts off with some cherries that don't stick out nearly as much as I would like them to and they impart a light cherry juice flavor that is slightly tart, GRPunk is right it does taste similar to those Cherry Capri Suns. After that comes some wheat and malts that have a lower amount of sweetness and impart a light wheat flavor along with a light amount of toasted bread and cracker flavors. The finish is a little tart with a light amount of bitterness and a cracker like aftertaste with a very light amount of cherries. The flavor wasn't impressive, the wheat and cherry flavors were just too light and that made the flavor boring and a pretty bland.

M- Somewhat smooth, crisp, dry, on the medium side of being light bodied and it had a slightly fizzy medium amount of carbonation. Not that bad, the fizzy carbonation works somehow.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty lackluster attempt at a Cherry Wheat Beer, the flavors and aromas were just too muted which made this beer come up short in the realm of Cherry Wheat beers. It didn't have good drinkability, the tartness didn't make it that smooth, and the bland flavors couldn't hold my attention, one is enough for me, no need for another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and the mouthfeel they weren't that bad and seemed on par for the style. What I liked least about his beer was the aroma and taste, they were both pretty bland and the great flavors and aromas that should have stuck out, didn't. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would choose Sam Adams Cherry Wheat over this beer and I don't even like that beer that much, I wouldn't recommend this beer. Atwater can be hit or miss and in my book this was a miss, it was bland and it just missed the mark on what a good Cherry Wheat should be like, I won't be returning to this beer, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, May 14, 2012