Atwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Traverse City Cherry WheatAtwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat

Atwater Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: GRPunk on 04-08-2012

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 98 | Reviews: 21

The worst beer I've ever tried.

1.43/5  rDev -53.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Just not my style. It may be good for the type of beer that it is, but to me it just doesn't taste good.

2.33/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours a hazy copper color with a white head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving no lacing on the glass. The aroma, especially for being a "cherry wheat" beer, is very hard to pick up on. Some cherries, wheat, sweet malt, and a touch of floral hops come out, but you have to REALLY sit there and concentrate and smell. It's far too weak. The taste isn't much better. Tart cherries up front, much like cherry "juice" rather than cherry "beer" - very soft and bland. The wheat flavor is strong, almost overpowering much of the cherry taste. The beer left a weird, chalky feeling in my mouth afterwards. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall, a mediocre beer at best. Bland and boring, and the aromas/flavors that ARE there, aren't very good. Steer clear of this one.

2.36/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am really confounded as to where all of these Atwater Block beers in my backlog came from. If someone provided them to me and would like to be recognized, just let me know. All I can figure is that either Tone77 brought them by at one point or I bought them on a Pinocchio's run.

From the bottle: "Beer Is Good"; "Enjoy Responsibly"; "Malt Beverage Brewed With Lemon".

I know that previous reviewers did not enjoy their bottles, but I remain hopeful. I have taken to calling myself, among other things, The Will Rodgers of Beer since I have never met a beer that I did not like at some level, even if it was simply as an alcohol delivery system.

I have never been to Traverse City, but I remember expediting parts on order from a company headquartered there while attached to the Self-Defense Test Ship (SDTS) in Port Hueneme, CA while my Michigan-expat supervisor reminisced with the fellow to whom I was talking. A couple of years later, while on my last tour of duty on Diego Garcia, I ordered cherry preserves, cherry butter and cherry spread from a place in Traverse City. Man, the taste lingers with me in my dreams! Let us hope that this comes close ...

My pour netted better than two fingers of foamy, fizzy tawny head with moderate retention. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity, both unusual for a wheat beer. Nose had a faint scent of cherries and I girded myself for a letdown. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the cherry taste/tartness just seemed to be lacking in the mouth.Finish was equally uninspired and I found myself wishing for some of those cherry preserves. My apologies to the brewery, but I hope that your hometown Tigers fare better in the 2012 World Series than your beers have in my estimation.

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A- dark copper amber color with small head and very little retention, some visibility

S- cherry, lemon, wheat, and malt

T- light malt, tart cherry, hint of mint, not very complex and pretty one dimensional

M- flat and watery with light body

O- I had high hopes but was let down. Yes it's refreshing however it feels like they took a watered down wheat beer and added cherry

2.67/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.71/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

My buddy's fiance is from the Traverse City area, and she has told me very good things about the cherries that come therefrom. Hopes have been raised. This stuff pours a clear sunrise cherrywood topped by a finger of off-khaki foam. The nose comprises light cherry syrup, mild biscuit, and the vague sensation of graham cracker way in the distance. The taste brings in more of the same, though the cherries seem a bit old, colorless, and there's a general feel of cracked wheat throughout. It just doesn't work. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, this could have been much worse, but it's still a pretty sad beer. The cherry flavor does no justice to the rumors I've heard of the fruit itself, and the beer hardly wants to have much of a conversation at all, much less one that deals very deeply with the subject matter at hand.

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Atwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat from Atwater Brewery