2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Atwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Traverse City Cherry WheatAtwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat

Atwater Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: GRPunk on 04-08-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 58 | Reviews: 14 | Show All Ratings:
tectactoe

2.31/5  rDev -24%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours a hazy copper color with a white head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving no lacing on the glass. The aroma, especially for being a "cherry wheat" beer, is very hard to pick up on. Some cherries, wheat, sweet malt, and a touch of floral hops come out, but you have to REALLY sit there and concentrate and smell. It's far too weak. The taste isn't much better. Tart cherries up front, much like cherry "juice" rather than cherry "beer" - very soft and bland. The wheat flavor is strong, almost overpowering much of the cherry taste. The beer left a weird, chalky feeling in my mouth afterwards. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall, a mediocre beer at best. Bland and boring, and the aromas/flavors that ARE there, aren't very good. Steer clear of this one.

10-04-2012 11:51:29 | More by tectactoe
woodychandler

2.33/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am really confounded as to where all of these Atwater Block beers in my backlog came from. If someone provided them to me and would like to be recognized, just let me know. All I can figure is that either Tone77 brought them by at one point or I bought them on a Pinocchio's run.

From the bottle: "Beer Is Good"; "Enjoy Responsibly"; "Malt Beverage Brewed With Lemon".

I know that previous reviewers did not enjoy their bottles, but I remain hopeful. I have taken to calling myself, among other things, The Will Rodgers of Beer since I have never met a beer that I did not like at some level, even if it was simply as an alcohol delivery system.

I have never been to Traverse City, but I remember expediting parts on order from a company headquartered there while attached to the Self-Defense Test Ship (SDTS) in Port Hueneme, CA while my Michigan-expat supervisor reminisced with the fellow to whom I was talking. A couple of years later, while on my last tour of duty on Diego Garcia, I ordered cherry preserves, cherry butter and cherry spread from a place in Traverse City. Man, the taste lingers with me in my dreams! Let us hope that this comes close ...

My pour netted better than two fingers of foamy, fizzy tawny head with moderate retention. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity, both unusual for a wheat beer. Nose had a faint scent of cherries and I girded myself for a letdown. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the cherry taste/tartness just seemed to be lacking in the mouth.Finish was equally uninspired and I found myself wishing for some of those cherry preserves. My apologies to the brewery, but I hope that your hometown Tigers fare better in the 2012 World Series than your beers have in my estimation.

10-24-2012 23:52:36 | More by woodychandler
TMoney2591

2.69/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

My buddy's fiance is from the Traverse City area, and she has told me very good things about the cherries that come therefrom. Hopes have been raised. This stuff pours a clear sunrise cherrywood topped by a finger of off-khaki foam. The nose comprises light cherry syrup, mild biscuit, and the vague sensation of graham cracker way in the distance. The taste brings in more of the same, though the cherries seem a bit old, colorless, and there's a general feel of cracked wheat throughout. It just doesn't work. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, this could have been much worse, but it's still a pretty sad beer. The cherry flavor does no justice to the rumors I've heard of the fruit itself, and the beer hardly wants to have much of a conversation at all, much less one that deals very deeply with the subject matter at hand.

07-27-2013 03:42:21 | More by TMoney2591
Alextricity

2.74/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bottled April 2013. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: Darker than I was expecting... looks like a dark cherry, appropriately enough. Sand colored doesn't last long, and there's really no lacing. Bleh. Has a nice color, but that's about it.

Smell: Quite a bit of cherry, but there's actually a malt aroma... smells more like a beer than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, that's for sure. Not much to it. It has a pleasant aroma, though.

Taste/feel: Eehk.. drink this one cold -- that's all I'll say. As this warmed up, I got this really odd bitterness that I can't quite explain. It's not a hop bitterness, but almost like a bitterness you'd get from sucking on a tree root or something. It's bizarre, and it's there all over the tongue, and lingers. When this beer is colder, that's not much of a problem. Traverse City Cherry *Wheat* also had me wondering where the wheat was until the aftertaste, as well. The feel is light and pretty thing -- definitely an "after a long, hot day" sort of beer, for me.

Not a very good beer. I can say that it doesn't have a medicinal sort of FLAVOR that can sometimes be a problem in a lot of cherry beers, but that weird bitterness is a killer, and ruining the beer for me. For what it's worth, it'd be average-at-best even if that bitterness was out of the equation. Can't recommend this one.

06-15-2013 01:20:53 | More by Alextricity
StoutHunter

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Traverse City Cherry Wheat for $1.69 today at The Lager Mill. This is a new brew for Atwater, saw it at the store today and thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. It was notched April 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label is pretty typical for Atwater, but I like the color and the cherry tree by the Grand Traverse Bay, it's above average for them. It poured a slightly brown copper color that took on a nice copper/amber color when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of head that died down to a thin ring that left some spotty lacing. The beer doesn't look too bad.

S- The aroma is little lighter then I expected. The first thing that I pick up are the cherries which impart a cherry juice aroma, the cherries aren't the intense and don't smell artificial. After that comes some basic wheat and malt aromas that were pretty light and imparted a light wheaty and slightly malty aroma with a medium amount of sweetness. The aroma was a little bland, I would say it's average at best.

T- The taste seems to be just about as bland as the aroma was. It starts off with some cherries that don't stick out nearly as much as I would like them to and they impart a light cherry juice flavor that is slightly tart, GRPunk is right it does taste similar to those Cherry Capri Suns. After that comes some wheat and malts that have a lower amount of sweetness and impart a light wheat flavor along with a light amount of toasted bread and cracker flavors. The finish is a little tart with a light amount of bitterness and a cracker like aftertaste with a very light amount of cherries. The flavor wasn't impressive, the wheat and cherry flavors were just too light and that made the flavor boring and a pretty bland.

M- Somewhat smooth, crisp, dry, on the medium side of being light bodied and it had a slightly fizzy medium amount of carbonation. Not that bad, the fizzy carbonation works somehow.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty lackluster attempt at a Cherry Wheat Beer, the flavors and aromas were just too muted which made this beer come up short in the realm of Cherry Wheat beers. It didn't have good drinkability, the tartness didn't make it that smooth, and the bland flavors couldn't hold my attention, one is enough for me, no need for another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and the mouthfeel they weren't that bad and seemed on par for the style. What I liked least about his beer was the aroma and taste, they were both pretty bland and the great flavors and aromas that should have stuck out, didn't. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would choose Sam Adams Cherry Wheat over this beer and I don't even like that beer that much, I wouldn't recommend this beer. Atwater can be hit or miss and in my book this was a miss, it was bland and it just missed the mark on what a good Cherry Wheat should be like, I won't be returning to this beer, better luck next time guys.

05-14-2012 03:44:10 | More by StoutHunter
mrcokac

2.78/5  rDev -8.6%

I picked up a six-pack of Atwater's Traverse City Cherry Wheat for $9 today at Busch'sl. I noticed the label and though I would give it a try on this 97 degree day, so we'll see. It was notched May '12.

A- I drank it from the bottle. So, I guess my review might be a bit lacking.

S- It has a sweet nose to it with a bit of hops and maybe a dash of caramel. So far I am not overwhelmed with the notion of cherries. Although, I guess if it did then it probably wouldn't be a very good beer (it would be a cordial/wine).

T- The taste seems boring and bland. It starts off with a very faint ancestor of cherries. As the beer goes in the flavor of cherry is instantly quelled with wheat beer. In the end it leaves the mouth dry and ready for another drink.

M- Smooth, crisp, and dry.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I wasn't impressed with this beer. I thought it was a waste of two dollars. I say two dollars because I could have purchased an 'average' six-pack of wheat beer for $7 that would have pleased me better then this.

07-07-2012 20:24:01 | More by mrcokac
dbrauneis

2.79/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Pours a hazy amberish ruby red in color with light to moderate amounts of gentle visible carbonation along the edges of the glass and some rosé + crimson red highlights. The beer has a finger tall creamy fizzy pinkish off-white head that slowly reduces to a large patch of thin film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Overall the entire aroma of this beer is rather light with some very light notes of wheat and some light to moderate notes of cherry (rather natural smelling, not

T: Upfront there are light flavors of wheat which persist through the finish along with light flavors of tart cherries and just a hint of something metallic.

M: Just slightly heavier than light bodied with very heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Nothing horrible about this beer but nothing really exciting either - I could easily drink more of this as it is non-offensive, light, and easy drinking but it is just not that interesting.

09-15-2013 23:16:48 | More by dbrauneis
Lauthaha

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a bottle into a beer mug. Date of bottling was April of 2012, it is now July of 2012.

Appearance: Beer pours with a mighty head, color is a heavy copper. Head recedes slowly leaving cobweb lacing.

Smell: A good deal of sour/tart scent from the cherries, and a touch of sweetness from the malt.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer is medium-bodied, with minimal carbonation. Very bitter, a good deal of sourness. There are cherries, yes, but they are not in season. Almost like a wine, there's not a great deal of consistency to the maltiness.

Overall: Wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Samuel Adams has a much better offering in this category. Now, if the ABV were about double what it is, they might have something here...LoL

07-15-2012 02:52:11 | More by Lauthaha
KajII

[Suggested Glassware: Weizen Glass]

The pour was a cloudy medium brown with a strong reddish hue and a huge (3-4 finger) sudsy head that reduced slowly, down to a thick cap which lasted throughout and had fair sticky lacing.

The aroma was kind of mild with a light hay- like malt and a funky dusty yeast with hints of cherry, barley and wheat.

The taste was lightly malty and a tad sweet with a strong note of cherries from the get go, with a bit of wheat slipping in along with a mild bitterness and a lightly tart ending. The flavor lasted and average duration proceeding the swallow, with a lightly bitter fruity taste left behind.

Mouthfeel was light in body with a thin dry texture and an almost fizzy carbonation.

Overall this is a decent Wheat Ale with a strong presence of fruit and a touch of wheat. Be careful upon opening this one though, it fizzed up out of the bottle and onto the counter. I was quick though and only lost a very little...

01-15-2014 22:02:23 | More by KajII
DannyDan

3.1/5  rDev +2%

A. Pours out a copper color with a whitehead that quickly disappears leaving some fine lacing and retention.
S. The aroma consists of cherry juice and wheat along with some sweet malts. Nothing really stands out.
T. The taste starts out with cherry juice that reminds me of a cherry softdrink followed by some wheat and finishes off with some tart cherries and bread.
M. The mouthfeel is pretty smooth and is rather easy drinking.
O. Not a bad beer, but not a good beer either. When it comes to a cherry wheat beer better off with Sam Adams cherry wheat than this one.

06-23-2012 04:55:00 | More by DannyDan
DrDemento456

3.23/5  rDev +6.3%

Going into this I know it's an old bottle (bottled in July) but hopefully it will be worth the dollar I paid.

A - Man I had no idea a "cherry" or "wheat" beer can be such a shade of dark brown. Head seems pretty good giving me less than a 1/4 inch that pulls back to a thick lace ring that sticks around for quite a bit.

S - Not bad the cherry is there but not in a "preservative" way. I am actually glad this beer doesn't smell like cherry cough syrup. Not getting much wheat either.

T - Well there is the wheat it's in the finish. My impression of this is not bad it's just not really much of anything. Cherry is there but far from tart and even the wheat tends to disappear after a few sips. The only redeeming factor is that it it is fairly sweet with no off flavors.

M - Thin and watery with not much flavor.

Overall definitely no Samuel Smith Cherry or even Founders cherry but it is still a very drinkable fruit beer. If anything I am not sure the hate since it's more beer than "fruit juice" since mostly manly of drinkers hate that sort of thing. Not worth a revisit, yet in my opinion better than Samuel Adams Cherry wheat.

12-07-2012 02:47:22 | More by DrDemento456
carlborch

3.36/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Highly carbonated! Pours a large (3 inch) off-white-to-white creamy head which never fully dissipates. Spicy wheat and light cherry in the nose. Light body with a touch of acidity on the palate. Very light cherry notes on the palate (ever chew/suck on cherry pits?). Poured with a slight haze and makes beautiful Belgian lace. Refreshing, and bright with a medicinal hint. Lingers nicely. Final pour released much yeast which fell to the bottom of the glass.

09-23-2013 22:50:30 | More by carlborch
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Basic beer, drinkable. Mild cherry aroma and understated in taste. Built up mouthfeel, as if I am rolling over a gumball. Nothing special, though cherry makes it half interesting. Fast dissipitating head.Bottle from Steve in Warren.A good idea that needs better execution.

02-03-2013 04:45:10 | More by Sammy
GRPunk

3.65/5  rDev +20.1%

Bottle, notched M (March) 12, poured into a Weiss glass.

A- A normal pour created a 1-finger, white head with a light, pinkish hue. A yeast swirl added a nice cloudiness to the gold body. The body is actually pretty complex. It was nearly clear at the bottom edges, golden in the middle, and nearly brown where the suspended yeast floated near the head. Foam sustained at 1/2 finger and left nice sticky rings on the glass.

S- Light and crisp. Fresh cherries. Both sweet and tart components. It almost brings me back to memories of Capri Sun "juice" pouches, however more natural. Yeasty goodness. Hints of grainy, cracker-like malts (Ritz perhaps). Warmth brings out more cracker-like malt qualities.

T- Definite cherry flavor. Sweet up front with a tart finish. More Capri Sun qualities (though I haven't had one in years). Dry finish. Malts are secondary and Ritz cracker-like. Warmth brings out more malt.

M- maybe a bit thin at first. Quite dry. Moderate carbonation. Chewy enough to convince me it's a wheat beer.

O- Refreshing spring/Summer beer. Perfect fit for the post-lawn mowing, baseball watching I'm currently doing. More fruit than wheat (solid fruit beer at that). I appreciate the love shown to the native MI cherries. Delicate brew. Got the "thumbs up" from my wife. Would buy again.

04-08-2012 21:06:08 | More by GRPunk