Atwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Traverse City Cherry WheatAtwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat

Atwater Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: GRPunk on 04-08-2012)
3.43/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Basic beer, drinkable. Mild cherry aroma and understated in taste. Built up mouthfeel, as if I am rolling over a gumball. Nothing special, though cherry makes it half interesting. Fast dissipitating head.Bottle from Steve in Warren.A good idea that needs better execution.

Sammy, Feb 03, 2013
2.69/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

My buddy's fiance is from the Traverse City area, and she has told me very good things about the cherries that come therefrom. Hopes have been raised. This stuff pours a clear sunrise cherrywood topped by a finger of off-khaki foam. The nose comprises light cherry syrup, mild biscuit, and the vague sensation of graham cracker way in the distance. The taste brings in more of the same, though the cherries seem a bit old, colorless, and there's a general feel of cracked wheat throughout. It just doesn't work. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, this could have been much worse, but it's still a pretty sad beer. The cherry flavor does no justice to the rumors I've heard of the fruit itself, and the beer hardly wants to have much of a conversation at all, much less one that deals very deeply with the subject matter at hand.

TMoney2591, Jul 27, 2013

wrightst, Jun 06, 2014

imperialking, Mar 15, 2014
2.33/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am really confounded as to where all of these Atwater Block beers in my backlog came from. If someone provided them to me and would like to be recognized, just let me know. All I can figure is that either Tone77 brought them by at one point or I bought them on a Pinocchio's run.

From the bottle: "Beer Is Good"; "Enjoy Responsibly"; "Malt Beverage Brewed With Lemon".

I know that previous reviewers did not enjoy their bottles, but I remain hopeful. I have taken to calling myself, among other things, The Will Rodgers of Beer since I have never met a beer that I did not like at some level, even if it was simply as an alcohol delivery system.

I have never been to Traverse City, but I remember expediting parts on order from a company headquartered there while attached to the Self-Defense Test Ship (SDTS) in Port Hueneme, CA while my Michigan-expat supervisor reminisced with the fellow to whom I was talking. A couple of years later, while on my last tour of duty on Diego Garcia, I ordered cherry preserves, cherry butter and cherry spread from a place in Traverse City. Man, the taste lingers with me in my dreams! Let us hope that this comes close ...

My pour netted better than two fingers of foamy, fizzy tawny head with moderate retention. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity, both unusual for a wheat beer. Nose had a faint scent of cherries and I girded myself for a letdown. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the cherry taste/tartness just seemed to be lacking in the mouth.Finish was equally uninspired and I found myself wishing for some of those cherry preserves. My apologies to the brewery, but I hope that your hometown Tigers fare better in the 2012 World Series than your beers have in my estimation.

woodychandler, Oct 25, 2012
2.79/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Pours a hazy amberish ruby red in color with light to moderate amounts of gentle visible carbonation along the edges of the glass and some rosé + crimson red highlights. The beer has a finger tall creamy fizzy pinkish off-white head that slowly reduces to a large patch of thin film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Overall the entire aroma of this beer is rather light with some very light notes of wheat and some light to moderate notes of cherry (rather natural smelling, not

T: Upfront there are light flavors of wheat which persist through the finish along with light flavors of tart cherries and just a hint of something metallic.

M: Just slightly heavier than light bodied with very heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Nothing horrible about this beer but nothing really exciting either - I could easily drink more of this as it is non-offensive, light, and easy drinking but it is just not that interesting.

dbrauneis, Sep 16, 2013
3.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Going into this I know it's an old bottle (bottled in July) but hopefully it will be worth the dollar I paid.

A - Man I had no idea a "cherry" or "wheat" beer can be such a shade of dark brown. Head seems pretty good giving me less than a 1/4 inch that pulls back to a thick lace ring that sticks around for quite a bit.

S - Not bad the cherry is there but not in a "preservative" way. I am actually glad this beer doesn't smell like cherry cough syrup. Not getting much wheat either.

T - Well there is the wheat it's in the finish. My impression of this is not bad it's just not really much of anything. Cherry is there but far from tart and even the wheat tends to disappear after a few sips. The only redeeming factor is that it it is fairly sweet with no off flavors.

M - Thin and watery with not much flavor.

Overall definitely no Samuel Smith Cherry or even Founders cherry but it is still a very drinkable fruit beer. If anything I am not sure the hate since it's more beer than "fruit juice" since mostly manly of drinkers hate that sort of thing. Not worth a revisit, yet in my opinion better than Samuel Adams Cherry wheat.

DrDemento456, Dec 07, 2012
2.31/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours a hazy copper color with a white head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving no lacing on the glass. The aroma, especially for being a "cherry wheat" beer, is very hard to pick up on. Some cherries, wheat, sweet malt, and a touch of floral hops come out, but you have to REALLY sit there and concentrate and smell. It's far too weak. The taste isn't much better. Tart cherries up front, much like cherry "juice" rather than cherry "beer" - very soft and bland. The wheat flavor is strong, almost overpowering much of the cherry taste. The beer left a weird, chalky feeling in my mouth afterwards. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall, a mediocre beer at best. Bland and boring, and the aromas/flavors that ARE there, aren't very good. Steer clear of this one.

tectactoe, Oct 04, 2012

enelson, Oct 18, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance-The beer is served a deep amber color with a hint of ruby red mixed within. There is a small white head that sits atop the brew upon serving, with it having a light level of retention and fading to leave a decent level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell- The aroma was somewhat what you would expect for a cherry wheat- cherry and wheat. Along with these aromas are some lighter smells of a caramel sweetness as well as a little bit of a grainy aroma.

Taste- The taste begins with a rather cherry sweet and lighter wheat and bready flavor. As the taste advances the sweet cherry lessens a bit but is replaced by a little bit of a caramel sweetness. All the while a little bit of graininess and some light yeast comes to the tongue. With some flavors of a little bit of toasted bread coming to the tongue, one is left with a rather sweet, but not cloying, cherry wheat flavor to be left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is on the average side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is on the average side as well. For the style the combination of moderate body and carbonation are perfect as they really nicely complement both the fruit cherry and wheat flavors of the brew. Overall, rather well done.

Overall - A decent cherry wheat, but nothing overly exceptional. A good try, but overall, a Sam Adams cherry wheat is much better, at a comparable cost, and it just as easy to find.. so I would say go it instead.

Darkmagus82, Aug 30, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +21%

tommy5, Jun 10, 2014

williamjbauer, Aug 29, 2013
3.13/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a fairly clear golden brown, with a lingering cream head.

Grain and very subtle cherry are evident in the aroma, but there's really not much there.

Flavor reveals underpinnings of cherry tartness, without the cherry flavor. There's a substantial toasted malt backbone, but the tartness rounds out the finish.

Body is a touch light, with carbonation on the higher side.

I expected more wheat. Could also use more malt backbone to balance the tartness of the cherries.

barczar, Apr 28, 2014

JohnK17, Oct 29, 2013

mrebeka, Jul 04, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Traverse City Cherry Wheat for $1.69 today at The Lager Mill. This is a new brew for Atwater, saw it at the store today and thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. It was notched April 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label is pretty typical for Atwater, but I like the color and the cherry tree by the Grand Traverse Bay, it's above average for them. It poured a slightly brown copper color that took on a nice copper/amber color when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of head that died down to a thin ring that left some spotty lacing. The beer doesn't look too bad.

S- The aroma is little lighter then I expected. The first thing that I pick up are the cherries which impart a cherry juice aroma, the cherries aren't the intense and don't smell artificial. After that comes some basic wheat and malt aromas that were pretty light and imparted a light wheaty and slightly malty aroma with a medium amount of sweetness. The aroma was a little bland, I would say it's average at best.

T- The taste seems to be just about as bland as the aroma was. It starts off with some cherries that don't stick out nearly as much as I would like them to and they impart a light cherry juice flavor that is slightly tart, GRPunk is right it does taste similar to those Cherry Capri Suns. After that comes some wheat and malts that have a lower amount of sweetness and impart a light wheat flavor along with a light amount of toasted bread and cracker flavors. The finish is a little tart with a light amount of bitterness and a cracker like aftertaste with a very light amount of cherries. The flavor wasn't impressive, the wheat and cherry flavors were just too light and that made the flavor boring and a pretty bland.

M- Somewhat smooth, crisp, dry, on the medium side of being light bodied and it had a slightly fizzy medium amount of carbonation. Not that bad, the fizzy carbonation works somehow.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty lackluster attempt at a Cherry Wheat Beer, the flavors and aromas were just too muted which made this beer come up short in the realm of Cherry Wheat beers. It didn't have good drinkability, the tartness didn't make it that smooth, and the bland flavors couldn't hold my attention, one is enough for me, no need for another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and the mouthfeel they weren't that bad and seemed on par for the style. What I liked least about his beer was the aroma and taste, they were both pretty bland and the great flavors and aromas that should have stuck out, didn't. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would choose Sam Adams Cherry Wheat over this beer and I don't even like that beer that much, I wouldn't recommend this beer. Atwater can be hit or miss and in my book this was a miss, it was bland and it just missed the mark on what a good Cherry Wheat should be like, I won't be returning to this beer, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, May 14, 2012

HoistinBrews, Jul 08, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Danielr26, Feb 18, 2013
2.89/5  rDev -6.8%

Clear dark copper/caramel colored pour with a minimal head and light carbonation. Very light aroma with just a hint of cherries. Light bodied with a taste that has grain and cherry juice. Nothing really stands out. A very thin beer. Its refreshing but there’s just not much too it.

Karibourgeois, Aug 08, 2014