Atwater Summer Time Ale - Atwater Brewery

Reviews by BeerForMuscle:
3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

1.93/5  rDev -26.9%

4.76/5  rDev +80.3%

Very good. Excellent smell and finish.

3.56/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1.81/5  rDev -31.4%

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Summer Time Ale today for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I wanted something refreshing tonight, never heard of this beer before, so lets see how it goes. Notched May 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and looks the same as all their other labels. It poured a darker golden yellow color that was pretty clear and took on a dark orange look when held to the light, with one finger worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left no lacing. This beer looks ok, the color is nice, but the head is disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off intense with loads of artificial smelling lemons that smell pretty similar to lemon pledge and dominate the aroma. Next I get some wheat malts that have a medium amount of sweetness followed by some spicy peppery aromas similar to Short's Nicie Spicie. The aroma is pretty aggressive and there's just way too much lemon pledge aroma for my liking, I wish the wheat and the spices shined through more.

T- The aroma is very similar to the aroma. It starts off with a slight bit of medium sweet wheat malts that's followed by a huge hit of lemon pledge followed by a little peppery flavor followed by even more lemon pledge. There's hardly any bitterness with a peppery and lemon pledge aftertaste. I don't like the taste of this beer, it's dominated by chemical lemon flavors that make me wonder if this is a beer or a floor cleaner.

M- Not smooth, on the light side of being medium bodied, with a lower amount of medium carbonation. I wish this beer was much smoother and had a little more carbonation, the mouthfeel isn't that great.

Overall I didn't like this beer and I thought it was a bad example of a fruit beer or a shandy, it was just plain bad, end of story. This beer has bad drinkability, the flavor was so bad that I couldn't drink the whole bottle and that never happens, one sip is all I need to know this beer isn't going to be drank again anytime soon. What I liked most about this beer was now I know to avoid this beer at all costs. What I liked the least about this beer was the flavor, it was bad and offensive. I would not buy this beer again and I would recommend avoiding it all costs. Atwater can be pretty hit or miss and this beer was a for sure miss. This is the worst beer I have had from Atwater and one of the worst beers I have ever had, I can't remember the last time I disliked a beer this much. At

3.5/5  rDev +32.6%

3.5/5  rDev +32.6%

3.43/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap 7/31/13 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light caramelized malts, some fruit and touches of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a mild fruit and caramel sweetness. Then a thin malt character comes in. The hops presence is very mild and brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, it’s not a bad beer but there are other “summer beers” I would choose first.

2.58/5  rDev -2.3%

I am really confounded as to where all of these Atwater Block beers in my backlog came from. If someone provided them to me and would like to be recognized, just let me know. All I can figure is that either Tone77 brought them by at one point or I bought them on a Pinocchio's run.

From the bottle: "Beer Is Good"; "Enjoy Responsibly"; "Malt Beverage Brewed With Lemon".

I know that the previous reviewer did not enjoy his bottle, but I remain hopeful. I have taken to calling myself, among other things, The Will Rodgers of Beer since I have never met a beer that I did not like at some level, even if it was simply as an alcohol delivery system.

My pour netted me just better than a finger of fizzy, foamy, soapy bone-white head with only moderate retention. Color was a pretty gold, not too deep, but darker than sunshine yellow, and with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled really lemony, like Pledge or some other cleaning/polishing agent. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the taste was somewhat astringent, like lemon mouthwash. Oof. Finish was dry and slightly tart but it seemed like a gimmick that was not well executed. Oh well. I'll just keep trying new and different beers and writing about some of them as I do so.

3.33/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

1.5/5  rDev -43.2%

1.98/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Yet another summer beer that wants me to drink, somehow, both lemonade and beer at the same time. Fine... This stuff pours a clear sunset straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises light white bread awash in a sea of Lemon Fresh Pine Sol. You know the smell, that overtly artificial and overbearing lemon that places with hardwood floors tend to just reek of. The taste brings in more of the same, including a flavor I wouldn't hesitate to ascribe to the aforementioned cleaning product. Add to that a vague mustiness and waxiness, and you have one terrible-tasting beer. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, this was just a poorly-executed beer all-around. 'Nuff said.

Atwater Summer Time Ale from Atwater Brewery
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.