Atwater Blueberry Cobbler - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Blueberry CobblerAtwater Blueberry Cobbler

good

Atwater Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: tdm168 on 10-22-2012)
Reviews by watermelon:
watermelon

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottled OCT 2013.

A: Poured brown out of the bottle with an opaque eggplant color body. Brownish head the color of pie crust. Little lacing with decent retention.

S: Smell of blueberries and booze.

T: Bitter blueberries and an almost malt liquor esque aftertaste.

M: Lots of carbonation, Body is medium, I would prefer it a bit thicker especially because the alcohol is on the high side.

O: It was ok, I doubt Ill be drinking this again. For 2.50 for the bottle it was worth a shot. Unless you wanna tick it Id say put your money toward something better.

03-18-2014 03:02:31 | More by watermelon

10-12-2013 01:33:03 | More by HeyYoMar
tdm168

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap at World of Beer Raleigh

A - dark brown with a thin, off white head that has little retention

S - pie crust and blueberries

T - blueberry, grains, faint chocolate, mildly bitter

M - medium bodied, smooth, crisp

This is a nice little fruit beer. The blueberries were great. They weren't bitter or tart and the beer had great balance. The chocolate notes were different and welcomed. It lost points for the grainy notes. I give this beer points for uniqueness. It was perfect but it was nice to try.

10-22-2012 01:54:46 | More by tdm168
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks goes out my brother from another mother, beermeX2 for this one! Served from growler into a Duck-Rabbit nonic. Poured a deep red brown with a minimal off-white head. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, blueberry, sugar, wheat, blueberry muffins, and butter. The flavor was of sweet malt, blueberry, syrup, wood, earth, wheat, subtle sugar, and subtle bread. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. I really liked the fact that this one smelled like blueberry muffins. I haven't had them made fresh since I was a child, so this took me back. Other than that, there really wasn't much else going on to speak of. The flavor was a lit earthy and wheaty than the aroma would let off. Still not bad though. Really glad I got the chance to try this one.

02-11-2013 21:01:24 | More by thagr81us

HardyA

08-03-2014 19:46:01 | More by HardyA
StoutHunter

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Blueberry Cobbler Ale a few days ago for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. Atwater can be hit or miss sometimes, but I've been wanting to try this beer for a while and It's good to see this beer make it's way to my local beer stores, so lets see how it goes. Bottled in September 2013. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty typical for Atwater and it has a blue background with the Atwater dude wearing a Chef's hat and holding a blueberry cobbler. It poured a dark brown color that took on red and ruby hue when held to the light that actually had a blueberry juice like color with two fingers worth of creamy tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left a good amount of patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, the head and lacing were pretty nice and the fact that it actually had a blueberry juice color when held to the light was pretty cool.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with a big blueberry aroma, it's not the most natural blueberry aroma and it reminds me of some sour blueberry candy. Up next comes a nice pie crust like aroma which works really well with the blueberry aroma and the combination reminds me of those blueberry poptarts that I used to love as a kid. Towards the end there's a slight toasted malt aroma. The aroma was awesome and just as advertised.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but it's a good deal lighter and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of blueberry which seems to be much more natural then it was in the aroma. Up next comes some grainy and toasted malt flavors followed by a lighter pie crust like flavor. On the finish there's a slight bit of alcohol that barely comes through with a lower amount of medium bitterness with a grainy and blueberry like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, the taste was pretty much as advertised and the alcohol was hidden well.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it seemed to work well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was good example of a Fruit Beer and I thought it bordered on being a dessert beer. This beer did a good job of living up to it's name and it had pretty much all the aspects that I hoped it would have. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, the alcohol was hidden well, it wasn't filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these, but it might start to wear on me after that, I think It would be a nice beer to have after having a good dinner. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was awesome and it actually smelled very close to the dessert it was named after. What I liked the least about this beer was the lighter pie crust flavor, I think it could handle some more pie crust flavor and it would make it more like the aroma. I would buy this beer again, in fact I already went back to get a couple more. I would recommend this to anyone who thinks a Blueberry Cobbler beer sounds good. All in all i was happy with this beer, I didn't know how this would turn out since Atwater can be hit or miss, but this one turned out to be close to a hit. This isn't my favorite Atwater beer, but I do think it's one of the better ones they make, and it might just have the best aroma for an Atwater beer. Good job guys, this beer worked out nicely.

10-24-2013 03:46:34 | More by StoutHunter
Zaphog

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

09-27-2013 05:27:24 | More by Zaphog
DrDemento456

3.54/5  rDev -2.2%

Paid 12 bucks for the four pack. Into a pint glass

A- Really weird dark cola color not a light blueberry but for such a high volume ABV. Head fizzes out rather quickly just a 1/4 inch that fades to a foamy ring.
S - Well I would be damned it blends the line of pastry and blueberry beer. I am not one influenced easily but it does smell like a blueberry poptart! I sip.
T - One of the weirdest beers I had all year. A crazy mash of tart blueberries at first then malts and hops kick in reminding me of a German lager or Vienna Lager. In fact as I drink it the hops become more pronounced and kind of irritating. Finish is rather sweet has a distinct vanilla tone that rounds to a bready finish. I agree it's like a hop filled pop tart blueberry flavor.
M - Rather smooth for 8% but it's not saying much since most of their beers are watery. This one included body is rather thin.

Overall damn I got three more of these guys and even though they are not terrible I don't really enjoy them much. Like most Atwater beers it leaves me wanting more like more tart blueberry...

10-29-2013 03:52:05 | More by DrDemento456

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

12-03-2013 17:11:59 | More by Rand_ale_Thor
dbrauneis

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Pours a clear but opaque very dark brown with purplish blue notes in color with light amounts of gentle carbonation along the edges of the glass and some deep amber highlights. The beer has a quarter finger tall fizzy beige head that reduces to a small patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of blueberries and pie crust with lighter notes of chocolate. The aromas of the chocolate really begin to intensify as the beer warms up.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of grainy malts which is quickly followed by moderate to strong flavors of blueberries (but not overly sweet nor overly tart/bitter blueberries). There are light to moderate flavors of bittersweet chocolate. Hints of bitterness are present in the finish but fade quickly.

M: Medium bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Smooth.

O: This is definitely one of the better beers I have tried from this brewery and does not have the thin mouthfeel of some of their other offerings. Hides the 8% ABV quite well and has a nice authentic blueberry flavor/aroma. The hints of chocolate were a pleasant surprise.

11-21-2013 02:34:45 | More by dbrauneis