2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Centurion Barleywine Ale - Golden City Brewery

Centurion Barleywine AleCenturion Barleywine Ale

good

Golden City Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Barleywine |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 35 | Reviews: 28 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by mikeys01:
mikeys01

3.85/5  rDev +10%

I picked up a few bottles of the Centurion on a quick stop at Golden City Brewery this weekend, and was glad I did. Very nice looking gold label with a mythical centurion caricature on the front, and a “real beer” bottlecap, which I thought was kinda funny from a homebrewer’s perspective.

The Centurion poured into my glass a fairly murky rosy brown color, with bare wisps of carbonation (less than I’d like), but there was at least a little sparkle there. Aroma definitely had some vintage character to it, with dark fermented fruits, rotting wood, and a hint of red grape.

Flavor was nicely complex, I was quite pleased in fact. It was a bit woody up front transitioning to lots of fruit and sweet caramel malt throughout, and finishing hot and dry. More of an English style to be sure, no particular hop notes stand out, other than a bit of bitterness towards the end. Definitely not one dimensional like some barleywines out there, but could be much improved with a little more carbonation.

09-18-2006 04:51:05 | More by mikeys01

4.75/5  rDev +35.7%

09-04-2012 05:38:06 | More by meghmmm
riored4v

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured in to a tulip. Lightly hazy, dark copper color. Very thin head that faded quickly.

Smell was raisiny and pruney. Lots of dark fruit and caramel. Noticeable amounts of alcohol along with sweetness. Lots of malty aroma, some noticeable hop aroma that was slightly earthy and floral.

Taste was fairly muddy. Definite signs of dark fruit, raisins and caramel. Pretty strong on those flavors. Some mild hop bitterness that was floral and earthy. Good amount of sweetness as well. No real "wow" factor". This had also been aged about 1 year and there didnt seem to be an increased complexity to it.

Mouthfeel was full body, medium-low carb and a sticky finish. Some pretty heavy/chewy mouthfeel.

Overall it was decent, but the complexity that should be in a BW just wasn't there with this one. Lots of heavy dark fruit and sweetness.

08-30-2012 01:06:06 | More by riored4v

Maryland

12-13-2011 20:30:21 | More by DeutschesBier
Domingo

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Picked up a 12oz bottle of this from GCB in February 2011. I'm typically not one to hold onto things very long, so here I am a week later. It's worth noting that it's got one of their newer labels on it, so it's probably not THAT old.
Pours a reddish copper color. Not sure how strong this is, but the lack of head is typically telling for potency. Still, it does have a pretty solid foam sheen and it never goes flat.
While this is listed as an American barleywine - the malt character that has come through is more along the lines of a British one to me. Huge waves of sweet caramel-like malts dominate the hops, which add a pine-y character, but not really a ton of bitterness.
I tend to like the sweeter barleywines, so this one fits my needs nicely. I had a few sips of this years ago at the FRTH and I do recall more hop character at that time, but I think I personally prefer the sweeter character.
I split my 12oz bottle, but I think I probably could down one myself...especially on a cold night or with a hearty meal.
I like this beer, but would guess it's probably a bit divisive for anyone expecting giant hop bitterness. This reminds me more of the JW Lee's and even the Bull & Bush big beers where the malts run the show.
Recommended, but definitely be aware that this isn't a Bigfoot type of barleywine.

02-27-2011 18:14:24 | More by Domingo
dragonWhale

3.43/5  rDev -2%

2008 (maybe 2007) bottle aged perhaps a bit long. Had this a year ago and it was phenomenal. This one was not as exciting.
A sexy amber with low carb and a bit of trail on it. Caramel and faded hops. The taste is initially nice, alcohol all background, big malt, slight bitterness, but the finish is a bit metallic. Maybe shoulda drank this last bottle a bit earlier. This gets a bit higher rating because of the last one was so nice. Still a solid and very drinkable barleywine.

02-20-2011 21:14:14 | More by dragonWhale
birchstick

3.88/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pours an amber orange without much of a head

S - very sweet, sticky caramel malts with a load of piney hops

T - a lot of caramel hops jump out at first and are balanced by some piney and citrusy hops. Nice flavor profile - I feel a lot of barleywines can be overly bitter or too amped up, but this one hit a nice stride of being more balanced with a smoother flavor.

M - watery and thin body. I was hoping this would be a bit chewier.

D - this is a really good barleywine. I really enjoyed this and am glad I grabbed two bottles. Will look for this again when I am out in CO.

11-30-2010 04:12:59 | More by birchstick
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

Purchased 2008; Sampled August 2010
A solid pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a scant, large bubbled head that barely covers the beer for a moment before receding to the edges of the glass. The beer is a reddish amber hue that shows a brilliantly clear, copper amber color when held up to the light. The aroma smells of caramelized malt accentuated by light, nutty oxidative aromatics. There is an almost buttery quality to the aroma somehow, but it is definitely not diacetyl. This has a nice, soft fruitiness to it that is sort of berry like and with a definite citrus hop character that has likely been muted with age. I think this beer is at a good age in its development, at least as far as the nose is concerned.

Lightly sweet tasting, the beer still has a hoppy, herbal and citrus character to it as well as some nutty age malt character and toasty grain character in the finish. A light carbonation adds a touch of fizz to this beer, this pairs well with the viscous, rich body that is not overly heavy for a Barleywine. Some noticeable alcohol adds some warming and heat in the finish. A touch of butterscotch is brought out by the rich caramel malt character. This has a fair amount of sweetness to it, but it is not overly so and much of the sweetness is complex enough to not come off as cloying. This finishes fairly dry actually as the bitter and slightly herbal hop components help to balance out the up front sweetness. While this is still fairly hoppy, the malt character has taken the lead role, even if the hop character still plays a significant part.

This is ageing nicely; it will definitely last quite a bit longer than the two years it has already aged for. The hop character could mellow out a bit more than it has and even a touch more oxidation might work nicely in the future.

10-15-2010 15:53:44 | More by Gueuzedude
northaustin

2.25/5  rDev -35.7%

pours a mega hazy amberish brown. flat. shook it for a while in the schnifter and got a minimal white head that was resinous and quickly settled. no lacing.

smells like vanilla ice cream inside a oak barrel or something. its so sweet.

tastes mega vanilla, with a minimal note of caramel malt sweetness.

mouthfeel: maple syrup

i have had a shitload of better barleywines. this one is just a sugary mess that begs for some type of balance. cant force myself to say much else about this one.

07-27-2010 06:41:47 | More by northaustin
chicano4craft

2.7/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured into snifter. Pours orange and dark copper. Very thick, couldn't see through it. Thin white head with no lacing.

The nose is all caramel. Very sweet. Reminds me of a caramel apple. It seems like the hops are trying to fight through at the end with little success. There is an alcohol presence.

The taste is all caramel! It's very syrupy and sweet. Defintely lingers on the tongue. I can't get past the intensity of the caramel to taste anything else. This one's a sipper.

Overall I wasn't very impressed. I like my caramel to be in the background. I was hoping for more complexity. I might get a bottle to age for a couple years.

05-25-2010 01:50:17 | More by chicano4craft
GbVDave

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Extra thanks to mentor for this from our recent trade!

A: Pours an absolutely clear caramel brown color. No head, no lace, no carbonation. Friggin' lifeless. I spied some sediment in the bottle and figured, "what the heck', swirled it around and poured it into the glass. This got me some gorgeous looking yeasty sediment tendrils as well as a small blob of head, a thick ring, and a little lace.

S: The big player here is caramel. Rich homemade caramel. Also noted were some sweet red apple, brown sugar, cherry, and a smidgeon of dark chocolate.

T: Big flavors of caramel, molassas, and red apple. Cherry and chocolate are still there but there's a creeping alcohol flavor that, while certainly not out of place for the style, I felt stuck its' head up out of the fray a little too much. As it warms, the caramel gains even more dominance and picks up a hint of citrus and some dusty hops along the way. To me the taste lost a little of the focus of the smell. Still quite respectable, though.

M: Unlike some of the other reviews on here, I didn't find this to be too syrupy. In fact my first few sips were very dry and bitter. As it warmed it began to exude a creamy smoothness that was kept from crossing the line into syrup-land by the obvious alcohol content.

D: Drinks good, but for me this was a "one and I'm done" kind of beer. Certainly nowhere close to the biggest Barleywines I've ever had, but by the end of this I didn't want any more...or anything else.

01-16-2010 13:27:12 | More by GbVDave
Beaver13

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours a murky amber brown with a small off white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar.

The aroma is nutty caramel malts, chocolate, molasses, candy sugar, fruits and a little tobacco. It's very decadent.

The flavor is similar to the nose - sweet nutty caramel malts, chocolate, dark fruits and pineapple, and some alcohol, with a medium roasted bitter finish. The mouthfeel medium bodied and watery with very little carbonation.

Overall, a very nice malt heavy barelywine that's got some nice complexities. I only wish it was better carbonated.

10-31-2009 06:01:04 | More by Beaver13
emmasdad

4.22/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle at the brewery. Poured hazy; reddish-gold with a nice creamy head.

Slightly oxidized on the nose, with dark fruits and just a hint of citrus. On the palette this was full of caramel and sweet, warming alcohol.

Overall this was a very nice beer; fruit, caramel sweetness and warming alcohol combine to make this a very pleasant experience, although not up to the level of the 2003 sample I had on draft a few weeks earlier.

Following this sample, we tried the 2009 Centurion aged in Stranahan's whiskey barrels. This sample poured almost still, producing a heavenly aroma of coconut, pineapple and whiskey.

Although the whiskey was evident on the nose, it was strangely absent on the palette, although the tropical fruits were very evident. This one was a huge fruit/alcohol bomb, although a very pleasant one.

06-11-2009 05:47:25 | More by emmasdad
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2008 poured last weekend.

Deep amber, slightly hazed body. Pretty good head for the style. Settles to a coating around the rim. Quick swirl brings head around again.
Caramel, baked brown sugar and molasses round out the nose. Some hints of pine and plump raisin.
Caramel and pine seem to fight it out. This is fairly sweet in my opinion. Towards the end a bit develops. It's nice as it refreshes the palate and gives it that "ahhh" feeling.
A nice BW. Not sure the abv, but this can pack a good one.

05-20-2009 19:49:02 | More by Mebuzzard
rye726

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a hazy amber with a thin tan head. The nose has fruity hops, candy malts and lots of residual sugars. The taste is also quite sweet, but well balanced by the hop presence. Medium to full body fits teh style well. A good brew from golden city. Glad I gave it a try.

11-19-2008 02:07:16 | More by rye726
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

3.85/5  rDev +10%

Thanks again to Jeff for the samples.

a: Murky orange body, thin white head.

s: Wonderful fruity malt aroma.

t: fruity malt upfront with spicy, herbal hops. Displays the same medicinal flavor I often notice in barleywines. I would say this lies pretty firmly in the center of the malty - hoppy barleywine spectrum. Good balance.

m: a touch thin for the style, more carbonation might improve it.

d: very sippable. would make for a great introduction to the style due to its balanced nature. you may be seeing this and the Golden City Oatmeal Stout on the shelves of Mile High in a shortly.

09-01-2008 02:12:13 | More by BradLikesBrew
qchic

Maryland

2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

I found myself enamoured with the second largest brewery in Golden, so I picked up this barleywine. I'm guessing it's from winter 07/08. Based on previous reviews, I figured this might be better fresher than not. It poured a murky chesnut color, and at first had a 1/4 in. head. It's since disappeared. Smells of malt, dark fruit (cherry), and alcohol, and the flavor is basically the same, with the alcohol more evident. Some nuttiness in there as well. More carbonation would be nice, but it still wasn't too syrupy for me. I wasn't overly impressed by this one, but it's not horrible. Next time, though, I'm gonna stick with their IPA.

07-01-2008 02:21:35 | More by qchic
murdoch22

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured at about cellar temperature into a red wine glass. I know, i know. I should do dishes *before* drinking. Too late, it's poured. Having read the previous reviews, of course without absorbing any prejudice whatsoever, i tried the hard pour down the middle; i think the carbonation problem mentioned in many previous reviews has either been corrected in this batch (laid down either in '06 or '07) or my bottle has by some miracle been stored with more care than those of other reviewers. I'm more inclined to believe the former. Anyway, my high gravity pour produced a thick, light brown head with an aggregate of bubble sizes and something of a gelatinous look--it jiggles when shaken. The foam still blankets the top even as i let it sit too long while i type. Oh, and it's chunky. When left to settle, a spattering of little light brown bits appears on the bottom of the dark brown liquid, leaving it to look a bit like the fading edges of last year's cheap Easter chocolate.

It smells sour, alcoholic, and fruity. I wonder if it would be a good base for one of those beer shampoos?

Like any barleywine, it's an acquired taste. First, it makes one flinch. Then, it makes one want to try another sip. The bitterness and thick, smooth mouthfeel mask the alcohol, while the sweet and sour promised by the smell are delivered in job lots. It leaves a sour, somewhat metallic aftertaste not unlike that experienced with an earthy, tannic red wine.

Again, like most barleywines, this is not a session beer. The unpublished ABV can sneak up on you, and three bottles in a sitting at high altitude are apt to make you think you're a far better hiker than you actually are...

Overall, i would recommend this to any barleywine drinker. If you don't like it at first, try it again in a couple of months and see if it's grown on you like it has on me. I would also recommend that any who've tried it in the past (especially before '06) give it another shot. The carbonation seems to have improved since then, though i can't say for sure that anything else has.

04-08-2008 02:27:36 | More by murdoch22
biking4beer

Colorado

2006 vintaged aged for a year in my "cellar"

Deep copper in color. Looks syrupy. Not many bubbles and hardly any head. Just a wisp.

Smells mostly of dark fruit (raisins), and alcohol. Minimal pine.

Taste is pretty sour. Very strange for me and my experience with barley wines. After my first sip I realized what I didn't like about this beer a year ago. It didn't really fade in a year's time. There is also a pretty good alcohol presence, but the sour pretty much overwhelms everything.

Carbonation is super low, and this is a syrupy beer. Had a hard time getting a whole bottle down. I have one more. We'll see how it goes next year, but I don't have much hope.

10-07-2007 12:23:47 | More by biking4beer
ArrogantB

3.28/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz bottle poured into my favorite New Belgium snifter. There is absolutely no head on this beer and I poured it hard and fast. The color is dark, cloudy, and red. The smell is a little fruity and a little chocolate. The taste is actually quite good but the lack of carbonation is bothersome. The alcohol is not noticeable at all. This was probably really good fresh but the bottle I picked up was pretty dusty (I thought barleywines were indestructible?). Maybe I can get this on tap if I ever get up to Golden.

03-07-2007 16:17:47 | More by ArrogantB