Gouden Carolus Tripel - Brouwerij Het Anker

Gouden Carolus TripelGouden Carolus Tripel

Brouwerij Het Anker visit their website

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: marc77 on 08-12-2002)

So, SOOOO glad I grabbed this and especially the big, 750 mL bottle. What a treat. Three lush, dense, durable fingers of white head adorn the Ommegang glass. Ample lacing rings the glass and the thick layer of white foam hardly dissipates during the first glass full of this beauty. A tremendous first impression.

Phase two, the nose--flush with banana, orange, and apricot but also no shortage of spice, especially clove, ginger, and a dash of pepper. What a remarkable taste, full of fruit such as those mentioned above but also apple and pear, sweet but also spicy, and that hop finish that is slightly bitter but, when mixed with the dense malt and ample spice, only adds to the rich melange. Just wonderful.

It all comes together in the mouthfeel--lush carbonation that is such a trademark (among many) of Belgian beers but never overdone, allowing the rich malt to work in harmony with the hops, sweet with spice and a touch of bitter, yet all very smooth.

This is nothing short of a masterpiece, one of the ten best beers I've ever had and certainly my favorite Tripel, supplanting the wonderful Westmalle Tripel from atop my personal perch. Five stars.

4.95/5  rDev +20.1%

A- Comparatively clear and bright medium yellow color. Big, rocky, soapy, white head with copious quantities of huge, thick, foamy lacing. Looks wonderful!

S- Yeasty bread dough, over-ripe banana, melon, nectarine, juicy fruit, flowers, spice, volatile ethanol. Smells very appealing.

T- This is a delicious tripel. Sweet caramel, yeasty dough, banana. The lingering, lush finish is of caramel and lemon cookie. This finish, like Karmeliet's, is what I want in a tripel; I want the sweet maltiness, not a hop-dominated, thin dryness. Very satisfying.

M, D- Lovely, lush feel & drinkability. Palate-coating and full, and not overly dry. Perfect CO2. The ethanol is apparent in the olfactory, but the structure exists to balance it.

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

Lemon-tangerine pie with an enormous head of oven-toasted ecru meringue. Actually, the cap is so impossibly creamy that it looks like meringue prior to baking, not after. The bubbles have now quieted themselves and the head looks even more spectacular as it slowly melts. This is a classic looking Belgian beer.

It's difficult to get the full measure of the nose through so much thick foam, especially since I poured a second time before taking a sniff. What I can appreciate is very good. GCT smells like shortbread cookies containing chunks of candied lemon peel and a light sprinkling of ground clove. My hope is that I'll get a better crack at it in a few minutes. I did and I love it.

Gouden Carolus Triple is one of the best versions of this style that has ever crossed my lips. This is outstanding beer, there's no question about it. I'm not sure that I've ever had a more tropical fruity tripel. The cornucopia-like flavor profile is overflowing with banana, pineapple and buttery pear.

A huge amount of pale malt is the bedrock that allows the rest of the flavors to shine. And they take the opportunity to shine like a thousand suns. I'm amazed at how much sweet banana saturates each and every mouthful. I don't mean to forget the delicious spiciness of the Belgian hops and the Belgian yeast. They're as perfectly integrated and as beautifully balanced as all the rest.

The mouthfeel is pure magic. I can't imagine a more lusciously creamy, more silky smooth, more mouthfilling ale that this. Each sip seems to expand in every direction until it seems as if my mouth won't be able to contain it. I keep taking mouthful after mouthful, not believing what I'm experiencing. If ever I wanted 750 ml rather than 330 ml, it's right now.

I didn't realize how much I love Brouwerij Het Anker beer until I glanced at the reviews of the two others that I've had. Classic is an exceptional BSDA and Noel (also a BSDA) is one of the best Christmas beers in the world as far as I'm concerned. Triple is right up there as well. Is there no end to the number of fantastic tripels that one tiny country can produce? This is one for the ages.

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

A huge, white, sea foam head blooms over a cloudy, cherry/honey elixir and clings to the Carolus chalice. As the head recedes, legs form with gentle swirling and small bubbles continuously rise throughout the session.

Subtle sweet spices and complex fruit notes envelop the olfactory, tantalizing the senses. The complexity improves with added pepper as it warms.

The malt profile includes fruits like banana and perfectly-ripe cantaloupe, followed by orange peel in a slightly bitter finish.

This one is spectacular as it grabs the tongue, coats it with flavors, and has a crescendo of alcohol finish.

This is the feel-good beer of the night. Dangerously smooth. Keep 'em coming, but remember to sip and enjoy as 9% is pretty high.

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

A - Poured a straw gold, slightly cloudy, with a huge head. I'm glad I had a large enough glass to contain it. The lacing was nice, all the way down the glass.

S - Tropical, slightly citrusy. Very pleseant.

T - This is a nice tripel. So flavorful, with tropical hints. This has a nice balance with hops, malt, & alchohol. Nothing bitter, nor skunky. This is how I think a Belgian Tripel is supposed to taste. Not too sweet.

M - Full, but not thick. Perfect carbonation.

D - This one is like Eddy Haskell: Nice & polite, but has a mean streak when the parents are away. I could drink this all night, but @ 9%, I might get into trouble.

I will buy/drink this one again when found.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Appearance-Pours a lightly clouded glowing yellow orange color with a thick, persistent, rocky head.

Smell-Creaminess, Zesty citrus fruit peel and some earthy spice, a complex and intoxicating aroma.

Taste-Creamy as the aroma implies, grainy and alcoholic hints of curacao orange and a distinct peach brandy sensation that is at last overcome by a clove and light hop bitterness finish.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, and smooth, alcohol is blended well into flavors, but apparent.

Overall-So complex in every respect. What a wonderful beer.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Presented in a brown, corked 750.
Pours brilliant, clear golden, with a lingering white head, but little lace. I think it's a bit cold.
Sweet smells of clove emenate, which are immediately incorporated into the deep spiciness.
At first taste, there is a tingling pepper that mingles with the carbonation. The taste then spreads into a sweet spiciness, reminiscent of Chai latte, but due to the clean fermentation of the Belgian yeast.
The perfect amount of carbonation rounds this beer into near perfection as it broadens into a silky, smooth delight.
Needless to say, quite drinkable.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter and a La Fin du Monde when the head went wild; this head just went crazy from the start, gurgling out the bottle while lightly pouring... what settled down was a clear orange gold with incredible meringue like head and excellent lacing and rentention... I'm lucky I had and extra glass hanging around.

Smell: Lightly spiced lemon shortbread cookies, candied ginger and cloves, cream... lemon curd.

Mouthfeel: Gel-like in the mouth, creamy and smooth, just wonderful light carbonation when agitated. Wonderful.

Taste: Lemony spicy yeast flavors with chewy malt overload. Wild fremented bananas, pineapples and oranges, hoppy cloves on the back of the throat, no alcohol presence except the light warmth at the end.

Drinkability: Light and complex flovors but at the same time overwhelmingly luxorious mouthfeel. Unreal; I'll take this over Duvel any day.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

750mL bottle, Duvel tulip.

A: Bronze and shiny. Considerable head (conservative pour with a little splash at the end) with nice lacing. It looks very good in the glass

S: Most beers I smell don't have a very strong odor, but this one has a very powerful smell of spice and citrus. Very complex, with combinations of orange and lemon.

T: I enjoy tripels very much, and this one is a step above all other contenders. Up front there is a sweet lemon/orange zest flavor, backed up by a rich, complex spice and banana. It really fills the senses and stays with you in a very persistent but pleasant way. The hops really help keep everything else in check by providing a clean bitterness that provides contrast for all of the flavors in this beer.

M: Perky, carbonated, alcohol without astringency. This beer has a medium body, and coats the palate with a smooth, fruity taste that lingers.

D: This beer is perfectly drinkable, but it will ruin your palate for all other beers. If you switch to another beer after this one, you'll constantly be picking up notes from it. I could drink this until I was comatose.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

A: A very potent blend of fruity sweetness and peppery alcohol. Honey lemon and sweet bananas are pretty detectable.

T: Sprinkling of carbonation up front which gives birth to a very recognizable anise that is oh so slowly carried out on a wonderfully smooth finish. The flavor just doesn't leave your palate, either. Light, but full of long-lasting flavor - a real pleasure to drink!

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

By far, the best Tripel I have ever tried. The color was great, the nose was very fruity and extremely pleasant . I poured a little too much head in my glass and my first taste was just the foam but holy cow! The foam was great. Once I got to the beer, I was flattened. It was wonderful! Now I just need to find more of this stuff. Cheers!

Gouden Carolus Tripel from Brouwerij Het Anker