Gouden Carolus Tripel - Brouwerij Het Anker

Gouden Carolus TripelGouden Carolus Tripel

Brouwerij Het Anker visit their website

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: marc77 on 08-12-2002)
3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

750ml corked and caged bottle with no dating information on it poured into my duvel tulip glass.

A- this one pours out a slightly hazy golden colored body. a two finger head forms on top leaving behind small spots of lacing.

S- belgian yeast is the first thing that i notice. its also heavy with ripe summer fruits. pear, apple, peach, and white grapes. very sweet smelling. somewhat spicy smelling. lastly i smell alcohol.

T- the taste is much like the smell. starts off with belgian yeast which impart a definite fruitiness. apple, pear, peach, orange, and grape. some pepper like spice. a little bit of alcohol and sugar.

M- light bodied with a high level of carbonation. slight warming from the alcohol.

D- different than most of the belgian tripels out there i have tried so far. something to check out if you havnt already. splitting this bottle with my sister was plenty for me. hard to tell this is a 9% ABV beer.

jwinship83, Dec 27, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a good, characterful tripel that is a little different from others I've had.

Hazy, pale golden-amber, it has a huge off-white head steadily shrinking to a thin, rocky top and leaving some thin, weak, foamy lace.

Aroma is string, ripe pears, strong grain, fermented plums, hint of cider vinegar, hint of banana peel, wet grass, hint of papaya.

Taste is nice, fermented fruit (pears, raisisns), a hint of pisco or something similar - a bit musky, a hint of papaya, light alcohol again resembling pisco, light spiciness, hint of wet grass. It just barely leans to the sweet side before a dryish finish and a more clearly sweet aftertatse. Feel is lively, but slightly oily, and quite firm.

Offa, Dec 18, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden orange with a dense white head that leaves loads of lacing on the glass.

Smells of sweet bread, honey, apple, lemon, and some spiciness. Lots going on in here.

Tastes of the apple and bread upfront with plenty of sweetness to back it up. Clove comes through strong to cut the sweetness and some warming alcohol rounds everything out. More going on in the palate than I could wish for.

Mouthfeel is more of a medium but still has a creaminess that makes me want more.

ocelot2500, Dec 15, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a chalice...

A: Thick, slightly off-white head that lasts a fair amount of time with descent residual lacing. Color is exactly as expected - a cloudy, golden orange.

S: Peaches, sweet candied malts, mild hoppiness...

T: Sweet malts, fruity - peach, maybe apricot and a nicely spiced alcoholic finish.

M: Medium, nice carbonation, smooth and creamy.

D: As with most tripels, the abv sort of prohibits sessioning with this style, but it (abv) is very well hidden and can be dangerous. Overall, this is a very good tripel that I would love to try again sometime.

ujsplace, Nov 26, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

330ml bottle poured into Unibroue chalice nov23 2009

A golden peach with lots of sediment and carbonation moving it all around like flakes in a snow globe. the giant head has great retention and and leaves lots of lace well down the glass, a pretty sexy looking beer if you ask me..

S peachy with a fair amount of yeast, toffee and some spice

T quite complex all things mentioned above but with a bit more spice and some bread and floral hops.

M good carbonation gives it a good feel but not the strong point of this beer.

D for 9% it's dangerously drinkable and it's a good thing I only bought a single.

I must admit I'm a little ashamed it took me so long to get to this beer, It's been on the shelf where I work for a couple months now. I feel a little foolish having such a gem so accessible and never having tried it. don't make the same mistake I did and drink this one today.

wordemupg, Nov 24, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +16%

Poured into a gold rimmed chalice at The Back Abbey in Claremont, CA

A= Cloudy gold with minimal head.

S= Bouquet of floral and fruity hops. I didn't take notes on the details, but the overall smells and tastes are still with me.

T= Very fresh flowers with sweet honey and fruit. I couldn't pin point the details, but this was the most exceptional tasting tripel I have had lately. Complemented my almost raw beef cuisine.

M= Medium-light, alcohol was present but not solventy, dry in the aftertaste.

D= Very complimentary with a good meal, or as a sipper at a warmer temp.

nycwinter, Nov 12, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -1%

Chilled and poured into a Duvel glass. A glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: The beer pours out a hazy dark golden/lemon color with a 2 ½" fluffy ivory head that is fed by fine streams of ample carbonation. The head takes the longest time to begin to recede that I've ever seen. As the head recedes slowly it leaves patches of lacing many of which slide back down into the beer on sipping but some of which cling to the sides. Even to the end of the beer sipping leaves ample lacing.

Smell: The aroma is light and gentle but definitely present. It has some sweet almost honeyish malt along with hints of yeast, spice and lemon.

Taste: The flavor has some light honey sweetness that is mingled with the tartness of apple and lemon. There are also traces of some pear, some banana and spice (primarily clove). The yeast and the gentle almost herbal spiciness of hops provide a supporting background against which the other flavors play out. As for the alcohol it is well concealed.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is light bodied but very soft and creamy with the fine and ample carbonation. The finish is long and begins softly sweet but continues into tart dryness with a bit of bitterness in the background. The soft silky feel is present to the very end

Drinkability: This is a really nice Tripel and one I fully expect to have again. It is a is light, delicate and complex flavored beer that I could keep sipping indefinitely (or until the alcohol caught up with me ☺.) This is also a beer where the flavor experience depends on whether the beer is decanted without adding in the yeast or whether the yeast is added in as well. While there was not a lot of bottle yeast, some of the delicacy of the flavors is lost after swirling the bottle and adding the last bit of yeasty beer. The brewery recommends decanting only and so do I.

drtth, Oct 19, 2009

This must be my fourth tripel after I tasted the Karmeliet tripel and concluded that I had to change my views about tripels in general. I went to my friend Geert who just has tripels in his fridge. No escaping.

A: Dark golden color and an incredible thick foamy head.

S: Grains, herbs, honey, peach, pear.

T: LIke the smell. Grains, sticky honey, pear and now cloves is clear in the mix. Some pleasant warming alcohol.

M: Medium carbonation and a medium body. Very dense texture.

D: I wouldn't buy a full box of these, but a few will do. Again a tripel that I like.

PapaEugene, Oct 18, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured a hazy straw color with tons of white head (had to be scooped out with a spoon so I could continue pouring). It smelled like sour yeast and fresh wheat and lemon zest, with some salt and vinegar, and a bit of Belgian sugar. It tasted like waxy lemon and sour yeast, with salt and vinegar and a bit of spicy ginger and alcohol. It was watery with moderate carbonation, and had a sour aftertaste. Overall this was not really what I enjoy in Belgian pale ales, but it was acceptable for the style. It had a clean taste and wasn't difficult to drink, and the flavor and body improved as it warmed and opened up. Perhaps age would help further improve this, since the 1.5 year old pale Van De Keizer I had was significantly better than this. This isn't a bad beer, and others might enjoy it, but I wasn't a fan.

Pencible, Oct 14, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

This is my first report in spite the fact that i have drunk a lot of different kind of beer the last 40 years. I've had two of this Carolus Triple bottles at a friend where we played a game of Colonists of Catan. It's tradition to play this game where the men drink a strong beer.

I drunk the Carolus Triple in a Westmalle glass so the setting was allright. Good smell, i had a very nasty cold but the smell was OK. Tasting the beer is comparing it with some other triples. I have to say this triple can be shared under the group Westmalle kind of triple.

I liked the triple very much because of its characteristic smell and good taste exposure in the mouth.

Brabander, Oct 11, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance - Hazy Golden yellow with a huge frothy white head

Aroma - Pear, apple, and orange zest with a wisp of alcohol

Mouthfeel - moderately carbonated, thin to medium bodied ale.

Taste - Slightly tart and fruity, with an earthy white pepper and alcohol middle, that finishes dry and spicy. The finish reminds me of fine aged (Anejo) Tequila.

Overall - Excellent triple. Very complex and satisfying. The 9% alcohol will sneak up on you if you're not careful

praufs01, Oct 01, 2009

Poured into a snifter.

A: The deep gold color has good clarity for a bottle conditioned beer. Hyperactive carbonation holds up a huge and foamy eggshell head. Retention is excellent and a very heavy lace is left behind.

S: Very spicy, with strong scents of pepper, caraway and clove. A mild fruitiness of apple and pear adds extra complexity. A bit of alcohol rounds things out.

T: A pear and green grape sweetness starts things out. A powerful clove, pepper and anise bitterness quickly follows. Alcohol warmth comes in sharply at the end. Finishes warm and dry, with lingering flavors of pepper, apple and pear.

M: The body feels lighter than the beer's strength would indicate. It has a vigorous carbonation that suits the style, but feels a bit over the top to me.

D: The strength makes this a good sipping beer. A most excellent example of the style. I'm very happy I grabbed a bottle.

Rayek, Aug 28, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -1%

A - Poured into a tulip glass a hazy dark golden straw colour with a huge fluffy white head that slowly falls away.
S - Sweet honey with some vauge bready maltiness, light lemon and orange fruity character and some clove spice notes.
T - More honey sweetness in the taste with a touch of bready malt followed by lots of fruitiness and yeast spice notes.
M - Medium bodied, medium to high carbonation, slightly dry finish.
D - Dangerous. In a good way. I'm guessing that no honey was used but the honey quality is pretty intense at times. I'd drink it again though.

brendan13, Aug 24, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Hazy golden color with a thick, persistent white foamy head. Sweet, light aroma. Taste is classic Belgian Tripel; sugary sweet, malty with a little spice and peppers. Very little evidence of the alcohol, despite the 9% ABV. Extremely easy drinking, with a sugary aftertaste. Made a great nightcap for my birthday!

medic25, Aug 20, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Had on-tap at Leon's in Atlanta.

Pours a hazy yellow-gold color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light fruits - pears and bananas, and even hints of tropical fruits - along with very mildly spicy hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sweet malt flavors up front are soon joined by a myriad of light fruits. Near the end of the sip spicy hop flavors join in, keeping the beer from being overly sweet.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this is a solid tripel but nothing is outstanding. Still, a very good choice and one that's worth a try.

glid02, Aug 09, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +10%

This one pours an appetizing golden yellow with a very thick, fine-bubbled, persistent head. Aroma is rather strong, fruity, yeasty and malty. Flavor is rich and mouth-filling, fruity and malty with a yeasty undertone. Texture is delightfully fizzy and tingly, smooth underneath. Worth finding.

Cyberkedi, Aug 08, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

A - Poured a straw gold, slightly cloudy, with a huge head. I'm glad I had a large enough glass to contain it. The lacing was nice, all the way down the glass.

S - Tropical, slightly citrusy. Very pleseant.

T - This is a nice tripel. So flavorful, with tropical hints. This has a nice balance with hops, malt, & alchohol. Nothing bitter, nor skunky. This is how I think a Belgian Tripel is supposed to taste. Not too sweet.

M - Full, but not thick. Perfect carbonation.

D - This one is like Eddy Haskell: Nice & polite, but has a mean streak when the parents are away. I could drink this all night, but @ 9%, I might get into trouble.

I will buy/drink this one again when found.

GoodBeerTire, Aug 08, 2009

Ok I got a bit carried away with the pour and paid the price. This is a lively beer. A very generous fluffy white head. A cloudy dark straw colour.

A bit of alcohol on the nose but well balanced with some nice tropical fruit notes. A bit of spice.

For a 9% beer the alcohol doesn't really kick on the palate, which is a good thing. A bit of banana.

Big mouthfeel.

I like this a lot. The price and the ABV might make it a once in awhile brew thoiugh.

Macca, Jul 24, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +16%

Carolus Tripel pours a striking gold. Thick head explodes when you open the 750ml bottle. Be careful, you don't want to upset the beer and have too much go to waste. Pour SLOOOWLY because the foam will be HUGE. This thing has 3 lines of bubbles on one side of the glass that constantly bubble to the surface. Not sure why that's happening but it is.

I get fruity citrus notes on the nose, and it's not overwhelming. Someone put off by clove would not be offended by this beer's aroma. A bit lemony/orange.

Taste? Delicious. Absolutely delicious. It's not completely dry, a bit sweet, but the finish is perfect. No residual poor aftertaste to speak of. I love this beer. I can't believe the BA Bros. haven't tried it! When we sampled it at work, a lot of people picked up notes of banana bread. I'm not getting that now but I can see where they're coming from.

The mouthfeel is perfect, but I'm not giving it a 5 because I'm new to reviewing and am not really sure what a perfect mouthfeel is. It is very highly carbonated, and I love that, but I know others don't. Someone called it "chewy"? I guess?

The drinkability is definitely a 5 because you would never guess you were drinking a 9% ABV beer.

The bartender at one of my local bars, Quenchers, got this beer in just last week, along with maybe 19 other Belgians. I asked him his favorite, and he gave pulled out this and Golden Draak. I told him I had had this beer and that I loved it. It's totally different than the latter, which i'll save for another review some day.

If you can find this beer, drink it up. It is delicious.

steveshields, Jul 22, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Carolus tripel was poured gracefully by the waiter into a goblet. Boasts an inoffensive yellow color with, nice big foam which seems to stick forever in there, leaving some lacing behind.

Ah...remember the last time you smelled a basket of fresh fruit?? add some floral aromas, malt and alcohol background, and there ya go. It's irresistible.

Taste is noticeable malt sweetness, a complexity of fruit tastes, with a pinch of sourness in there. Just enough hops to balance this out, and a rewarding warmth from the alcohol. Awesome.

Sort of chewy mouthfeel with a unique texture. Very nice.

Drikability is dangerous. It's 9% abv, but so smooth and well balanced that it doesn't feel like a kick in the ass. This is one awesome brew.

WildMaverick1200, Jul 19, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a cloudy, yellow with a huge, foamy white head. Heads stays a long time. Big lace.

Nice spiced, floral nose. Clean.

Delicious flavor. Nice herbal hoppieness with hints of fruit. Malts present too with a sweet finish. You can taste the alcohol, especially as it warms a bit.

Medium bodied in the mouth, crisp.

Great triple from a great brewery. Very easy drinking.

dstc, Jul 16, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a bottle purchased at the Poechenellekelder in Brussels 6 20 09, poured into a clean, clear tulip glass supplied by the restaurant. What a GREAT place to have a beer!

A 5 inch head under a tranclucent light yellow body. Nice look.

S Banana notes, nice malt sweetness. This is going to be a great beer!

T Malty sweetness, some light banana, sweetness, delicious!

M Full with big ABV, bountiful tastes.

D Good for a tripel.

Notes: What a treat to sample this one at the Poechenellekelder.

adamette, Jul 03, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -7%

Well, I kept seeing where many reviews call the look of domestic lights as "like piss", but that is more bias than anything. If you want some TMI about myself, this looks like my piss. I put some points for the good head.

The smell is another story. I is a nice fruity smell that is crisp and strong. Rather inviting for me.

I can taste the alcohol. 9% and you should taste the alcohol. Has a slight difficulty going down, but not much. Slight aftertaste is covered up with the taste of alcohol. I little fruit, but not much. Rather unique for the taste and that is a plus.

Verdict: If you can get by the fact that is actually looks like real urine, try it.

PsychoJedi, Jul 01, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Golden with a slight haze. Massive 5+ fingers of head foam up. Excellent retention with a thick cap that remains. Abundant lacing as well.

S - The first whiff is quite interesting; floral, a little fruity, and with noticable phenolic character. All together it reminds me of some sort of cleaning product; maybe a pleasant smelling liquid soap or sanitizer. Specifically there are notes of banana, savory spices, flowers, and a nutty/bready backbone.

T - White bread with nutty accents and a banana overtone start things off with a moderate sweetness. Fruit and sweetness soften mid palate giving way to a mild wheaty flavor. Bitterness begin creeping in from the sides of the tongue and back of the mouth with a good deal of spiciness akin to witbier; a bit of saltiness with coriander and modest chive/onion-like notes. A touch of sourness finds its place in the melange of flavor. Phenolic character is rather strong in the finish in the form of lemon peel. Bitterness grows and lingers into the aftertaste. Alcohol is well hidden.

M - Medium bodied, a bit creamy at times, with low to moderate carbonation. While decent, I actually found myself prefering a bit more carbonation.

D - Another fine example in the wonderful world of tripels. Though it doesn't stand out as much as Karmeliet or St. Bernardus, I certainly wouldn't pass this one up. Easy drinking (as most tripels are) and recommended for anyone who digs the style.

PatrickJR, Jun 23, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Chilled bottle poured into a Goulden Carolus chalice glass.

Color falls somewhere between amber and orange however the color is very opaque so definition with light is difficult. Produces a very honest 2 fingers of head that dissipates slowly thanks to healthy retention.

Creates a lively and pleasant smell with malt as its centre piece. Fresh citrus notes spring forward along with garden herbs and fresh spice. Mild alcohol notes combine to promise a pleasant beer.

In the mouth it definitely doesn't disappoint. Malt and wheat are present of course and these flavors are a them throughout with a suitable addition of citrus rinds. Carbonation is at a hard to pick level, a little more than medium yet no where near high.

Regardless finishes nicely with a pepper touch.

An excellent sample of the style and a great offering from one of the best beer makers in the region. Highly recommended to fans of GC and/or Tripels

SleepyMonk, May 16, 2009