Gouden Carolus Tripel - Brouwerij Het Anker

Gouden Carolus TripelGouden Carolus Tripel

Brouwerij Het Anker visit their website

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: marc77 on 08-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

330 ml picked up at the Coop for about $4.50... enjoyed with Brenda.. mine from my Kasteel tulip..

Huge chunky white head and fantastic lacing.. Bright yellow with only the slightest haze.. pretty.

Wow factor on the nose ... sweet toasted biscuits ... lemon verbena.. and a very characteristic spiciness... more complex than I can pick out... wow again.

Big Belgian pale malts are closely guarded by the yeasty flavors... fruits like nothing I've enjoyed in a long time... mango.. papaya.. banana.. meyer lemon.. yummy. I have no idea and have never really been able to pick out hop flavors on real Belgians... so I am not going to try. Perfect mouthfeel with a creaminess that the carbonation bursts with flavors with every sip. Slight white pepper and nutmeg. Perfect sweetness ties every sip together and leaves a lingering flavor until the next.

I get this brew everytime I do a Triple flight, but until now, I've never taken the time to savor it... Gouden Carolus Triple is simply fantastic.... now the question I am asking, "Will it cellar?"

12-28-2007 08:48:37 | More by JohnGalt1
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

No vintage or best by markings on this, but it was differently labeled than all the others in the store so suspect it is a year or two old. Pours relatively transparent ( wierd) very straw yellow with orange highlights. The head was good at first but quickly became thinner than nicole richie. The nose is pretty good, floral with hops and a hint of yeast and citrus. At first taste, there is some flavor that i can ony describe as toasted hops. then the light applish fruits come out with a decent hop finish. The mouthfeel is average for a belgian tripel. Drinkability is good. Another fine het anker product, but i do have to say it is my least favorite of their brews, but they make some amazing brews! Dont get me wrong, this is good beer. get one.

12-20-2007 04:16:04 | More by AKBelgianBeast
Big78CJ

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Typed from notes taken on 15 April 2007:

A: This beer is very fitting in my Westmalle glass. The beer looks a lot like that famed trappis tripel. Mine has poured more orange and murky than I would expect but I may not have let this rest long enough before pouring. The very thin head was shite for retention.

S: This has a subtle sweet aroma and a hint of alcohol presence. I can honestly say this is the first time I have smelled toasted bread in a beer. Perhaps because I had some earlier, I also smell green grapes when I take a deep whiff.

T: Honey or maybe candy sugar round off a very bold flavor on first sip. An almost rye-like hop flavor persists on the the palate. I'm changing my opinion of green grapes to a more general sweet, dried fruit flavor (apricot?). The bitter aftertaste on this beer is my only problem with the flavor. Alcohol is very warming too.

M: Bold and beautiful. OK, so that is too strong but tit is a very bold flavor. Not really chewy or creamy but there is a sweet, frothy stickiness left after swallow.

D: This is not my favorite Belgian tripel but it is good nonetheless. Assuming I could find it significantly cheaper than other abbey or trappist ales, I would buy it more regularly.

330ml bottle poured into Westmalle glass.

12-19-2007 20:38:21 | More by Big78CJ
thierrynantes

France

3.13/5  rDev -24%

Beer bottle (33cl), tasted in 2003.

Appearance : blond color, with white foam head.
Smell : spicy and malty nose.
Taste and mouthfeel : sweet, alcohol presence.
Drinkability: an average beer in the style Belgian tripel.

Review translated from french 5-14-2008.

11-21-2007 19:59:33 | More by thierrynantes
Halcyondays

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

11.2 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a golden yellow, with orange highlights, with a phenomenal white, fluffy head, good lacing in a tulip glass.

S: Fruity esters, apple and pear, with a bit of malt, has a definite floral, herbal quality to the smell.

T: Good tasting tripel. A fruity center meets with light malt and yeast esters to make a fantastic combination. There is also a hint of caramel and candy sugar in this brew too.

M: Smooth and fluffy, full-bodied and warming.

D: A drinkable and tasty tripel. Haven't had this one for a while, I'm glad I revisited it, it is a quality beer.

11-21-2007 17:33:37 | More by Halcyondays
NCSUdo

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

750 mL bottle

A: Very slightly cloudy golden, average size rocky head, ok head retention, overall averagish looking.

S: Nice fruity aroma, some orange, some spice and maybe bananas and butterscoth. Pretty balance.

T: Sweet malt up front, a little alcohol in the finish but nothing overpowering. Slight hints of bubble gum and clove. Some bitterness in finish with warming, good balance.

M/D: Crisp, good amount of carbonation, highly drinkable for 9%,

11-03-2007 00:14:44 | More by NCSUdo
AMo

Missouri

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Gouden Carolus Triple pours a real nice burnt orange with an initial one inch head. The smell is faint to moderate, consisting of yeast and a bit of citrus. Its overall taste is sweet, mellow, and well balaced; however, it completely fails to deliver on the hops like the bottle claims. This beer has a pretty smooth feel with a lot of carbonation. One big bottle will be more than enough for me.

10-28-2007 01:07:07 | More by AMo
sabrills70

3.38/5  rDev -18%

750ml corked and caged bottle with no freshness date. Pours a pale copper with a 1 finger head, OK longevity and lace. Aromas of sweet caramel malt, honey, slight citrus and yeast. Tastes of wheat malt, honey, citrus, biscuity, with a decent hop flavor. Very sweet. Strong alcohol kick. High carbonation. A definate sipper. Not a bad beer but not great either. Very average.

10-28-2007 00:21:20 | More by sabrills70
OWSLEY069

Pours a hazy yellow/ orange-ish color with an off white head. Aromas of corriander and Belgian yeast, with a small hint of alcohol. In the taste, corriander/ citrusy malt and a small alcohol presence. A malty mouthfeel, with a dry, spicy aftertaste. Balanced, and great for fall.

10-15-2007 17:41:55 | More by OWSLEY069
mdm46410

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at Three Floyds Brewpub, and served in a Gouden Carolus trappist glass. This tripel poured a bright, hazy orange color with a long lasting beige head. The aroma was made up of orange, apple, candy sugar, and some mild yeast esthers. The flavor was the same, but with some excellent spice notes showing up. Also, some lightly warming alcohol made it’s presence known. The mouthfeel was full-bodied and champagne-like. A truly exceptional beer.

08-10-2007 22:46:31 | More by mdm46410
katan

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev -18.7%

My first foray into triples. Undated bottle.

A - Pours a dark gold color with a 1/2" head. Lots of lacing and head retention. Looks very carbonated.

S - Interesting floral scent - perhaps from the hops. The strong alcohol does hit the nose.

T - Nice balance of the malt with a smooth aftertaste accentuated by floral note. No particular flavor is pronounced, even though the overall hit is fairly strong.

m - Not sure about the mouthfeel. It does have quite a bit of a bite.

D - I'd like one of these for a change of pace. For my preference for a session beer, I'd probably shift to something else.

(The price for this also makes me unsure I'd pick it up for a nights drinking.)

08-07-2007 03:54:17 | More by katan
joe1510

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

750ml.
$7.99
Sam's Downers Grove

Corked in '05

Gouden Carolus Triple poured a slightly hazy peach that glows when held to the light. A loose airy 1+ finger white head formed on the pour but receded to a ring around the glass within seconds. Leaves no lacing.

This is one fruity and spicy tripel. Big aromas of pear and granny smith apple greet you as soon as you stick your nose in the glass. Candi sugar and spicy alcohol follow close behind adding a nice depth.

Candi sugar sweetness and big juicy peach start things off with a bang. A pear grittiness and mild green apple show up mid palate along with a doughy malt base. Spicy alcohol, mild clove and a yeasty fruitness come along on the finish that make this one great tasting tripel.

Body is on the lighter side of medium with a velvety feel when hitting the tongue. The seeming lack of carbonation is in the mouthfeel but in small doses. Just enough to make the body velvety smooth.

This is a danderously drinkable tripel considering the high abv. My glass is disappearing far to quickly.

One of the better tripels so far expierenced in my drinking days. Good popping fruitiness with an exceptionally spicy and deep alcohol and yeast quality. Wonderful beer.

07-22-2007 02:15:16 | More by joe1510
drpimento

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Exceptional beer! Light golden color and clear at first till the yeast residue is added later. Very fine carbonation. Huge estery aromas. Good body but not heavy. Some lace. Definitely warming. Mostly sweet but a little bitterness and dryness throughout.

07-18-2007 03:54:38 | More by drpimento
dren

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a cloudy amber orange with small bubbles and a huge thick head. Left some lacing as it slowly faded.

Smells of sweet malts, citrus notes, some tangy floral scents and a little spice. Smells good to me. You can tell the alcohol content is high but it blends well.

Tastes of sweet bread, malts, citrus, a little spice, hops, and I caught a hint of green beans. Some earthy flavors, not as candy like as some of the other tripels I have had. The flavors blend well. As the beer warmed it mellowed out. A slightly dry finish with a flavor coating in the mouth. The alcohol isn't quite hidden, it's present, but it blends well with the flavors.

A medium to full bodied beer. I wanted to drink this a lot quicker than I did because it went down so easily. You could get bent on this brew quick. Recommended.

07-06-2007 22:23:10 | More by dren
PittBeerGirl

2.4/5  rDev -41.7%

A- very good looking triple. Cloudy pale yellow body with thin white head. Leaves behind plenty of lacing in the glass.

S- Powerful astringent smell. Behind this is a good balance of citrus and yeast.

T- Some citrus and wheat upfront with a touch of bitter hops. Finish is very astringent with a big alcohol burn. Bitter hops remain after the alcohol burn is gone. I was unpleasantly surprised by this considering that I love tripels and most hide their alcohol very well.

M- smooth and creamy mouthfeel. What I expect in a triple.

D- I don't know if there was something wrong with the batch or if it was meant to taste like this. It looks like a tripel and has the great mouthfeel of a tripel but the taste makes me never want to have this one again.

07-02-2007 17:12:33 | More by PittBeerGirl
Nesued

South Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - 11.2 ml bottle (330ml). Yellow clear coloring with a very mild carbonation. However, a very dense head formed upon the initial pour with a resolve to a thin white head with a small bit of lacing on the glass. I had to wait to finish pouring the entire contents as the head formed so quickly even when stored/served at refrigerated temp.

Smell - Very bright, very citrus in aroma. Reminds me of a tropical pineapple-based mixed drink (i.e. pina colada). A bit of a malty aroma as well. Not a spicy presence as others have mentioned. Such a lively offering of fruit aromas.

Taste - This is velvety smooth. A bit of a woody character presented that added to the complexity of the flavors. Based upon the aroma, I expected a lot more of a "mix" of flavors. There was a lasting creamy feel as well. Very balanced between malt and hop presence.

Mouthfeel - Again, so very smooth and full in body. This was a pleasure for the "malt lover" in all of us. This does not feel like a 9.0% ABV. I could not feel/taste the alcohol presence. I mentioned "creamy" before, I'll say it again, creamy.

Drinkability - I am amazed by the depth of presentations within a given style. I've had tripels before, and each one seems to be almost a "style" to it's own. The "added value" the each one has leaves me joyously praising brewing diversity. Yes, pass me another. However, to mis-quote St Augustine: "Give me another Carolus, but not yet...."

06-28-2007 00:43:26 | More by Nesued
deeplennon

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

A very very tasty beer.

Everything is in perfect balance for a triple. A lovely pale malt sweetness, with a bit of alcohol and hop character are all harmonious with tons of bright fruity yeast character. Yum yum yum. Poured with mild carbonation, but enough to compliment the flavor perfectly. Way too drinkable for 9%. I would love to get my hands on Het Anker's yeast strain to make some incredible home brew.

06-19-2007 04:19:58 | More by deeplennon
macster

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours into the chalice a hazy golden-orange color. Produces a beautiful thick, dense pillow-like head with superb retention. An intricate lacing pattern of foam adheres to the sides of the glass.

The nose is a bit muted, but with pleasant fruity notes of pineapple, banana, vanilla wafer cookies and honey in the forefront. A faint touch of yeast, light malts, spice and perfume linger in the background.

Mouthfeel is perfectly balanced between the velvety smooth and creamy texture of a big beer and the expected tingle of CO2 from a Belgian Ale.

Flavor profile a bit more assertive than the aroma. Starts out with a fruity, malty sweetness; very much like the nose. Then gradually moves into a slight peppery, spicy alcohol presentation and finally finishes with a somewhat surprising, but slightly astringent moderately bitter hoppy finish.

All in all a solid Triple save for the slightly distracting finish. I’d definitely go back for more.

06-17-2007 05:47:55 | More by macster
atsprings

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

The beer pours a slightly hazy pale orange with a thick head that is mostly lasting and leaves great lacing on the glass. The aroma is of sweet malts, spice and yeast. The taste is also a very nicely spiced sweet malt flavor with some very subdued hops. The beer is medium bodied and very crisp with very well hidden alcohol, this is one to be careful with. Overall, this is an extremely enjoyable Tripel.

05-31-2007 02:39:08 | More by atsprings
Wasatch

Utah

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks goes out to sirhc for this one.

Poured into a chalice a deep dark golden color, nice carbonation, huge two finger plus creamy head, tons of sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is malty, slightly sweet, spicy, bready, and yeasty. The taste is sweet/tangy, spicy, malty, and yeasty. Medium body, a nice complex brew. Very drinkable, a very tasty tripel, highly recommended.

05-21-2007 23:25:15 | More by Wasatch
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

Lemon-tangerine pie with an enormous head of oven-toasted ecru meringue. Actually, the cap is so impossibly creamy that it looks like meringue prior to baking, not after. The bubbles have now quieted themselves and the head looks even more spectacular as it slowly melts. This is a classic looking Belgian beer.

It's difficult to get the full measure of the nose through so much thick foam, especially since I poured a second time before taking a sniff. What I can appreciate is very good. GCT smells like shortbread cookies containing chunks of candied lemon peel and a light sprinkling of ground clove. My hope is that I'll get a better crack at it in a few minutes. I did and I love it.

Gouden Carolus Triple is one of the best versions of this style that has ever crossed my lips. This is outstanding beer, there's no question about it. I'm not sure that I've ever had a more tropical fruity tripel. The cornucopia-like flavor profile is overflowing with banana, pineapple and buttery pear.

A huge amount of pale malt is the bedrock that allows the rest of the flavors to shine. And they take the opportunity to shine like a thousand suns. I'm amazed at how much sweet banana saturates each and every mouthful. I don't mean to forget the delicious spiciness of the Belgian hops and the Belgian yeast. They're as perfectly integrated and as beautifully balanced as all the rest.

The mouthfeel is pure magic. I can't imagine a more lusciously creamy, more silky smooth, more mouthfilling ale that this. Each sip seems to expand in every direction until it seems as if my mouth won't be able to contain it. I keep taking mouthful after mouthful, not believing what I'm experiencing. If ever I wanted 750 ml rather than 330 ml, it's right now.

I didn't realize how much I love Brouwerij Het Anker beer until I glanced at the reviews of the two others that I've had. Classic is an exceptional BSDA and Noel (also a BSDA) is one of the best Christmas beers in the world as far as I'm concerned. Triple is right up there as well. Is there no end to the number of fantastic tripels that one tiny country can produce? This is one for the ages.

05-20-2007 15:56:32 | More by BuckeyeNation
DoubleJ

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Gosh, I can't believe it's been a week since I had this beer. That's why I take notes. On the label, it boosts a World Beer Cup 2002 Gold, so it must be good, right? On to the beer:

The color of the beer is a hazy orange with a decent head to it. Smell is very complex and sweet. Candy like sweetness with a blend of butterscotch, and yeast. Sweetness in the flavor is tart, peppery, a bit tropical (like pinneapple), and delicate. Alcohol is placed nicely, and remains hidden for the most part. <BURP!> Yum, tropical fruit punch in my burp. Can I have another?

05-09-2007 06:12:31 | More by DoubleJ
vtfan77

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Cloudy orange-gold with a very large white head. Nice-looking lace sticks to the side of the glass as well.

S- Sweet fruits first, with banana and pear. Malt comes through with a honey-like sweetness. A touch of clove along with a substantial alcohol aroma give it some spice.

T- More sweet malt and fruit. Alcohol is hidden much better in the taste. Hops give it a nice herbal touch and a little bitterness on the finish. Flavor is quite complex; it's really beyond me to pick out the various flavors. Very good, though.

M- Fairly light and kind of creamy. Lots of carbonation, which works here.

D- Very drinkable. You'd never know this was 9% alcohol based on the taste, and the light body makes it almost seem quaffable.

This is the first tripel I've had in quite some time, and I enjoyed it. I think it could take me a while to be able to pick out some of the subtleties of this style. Still, I can tell you that this is a good beer, and I certainly recommend it.

05-04-2007 03:01:39 | More by vtfan77
sleazo

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Typical tripel appearance. Not much lace.

Nose is pungent with the bana phenols.

Taste is a little more astringent than I would have thought. Pepper cloves and bananas. Very hefe ish shall we say. Slightly dry which i like.

Medium body, low carbonation

D-possibily too astringent

04-21-2007 05:15:52 | More by sleazo
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

Brown 33cl bottle, best before May 2009, drank in April 2007.

Poured into a Corsendonk glass.

Looked fine, dull, dirty copper colour, slight haze. Good white head sat on top.

Aroma of apple pie and sugar, strange but true!

Sour and fizzy, dry and yeasty. Complexed flavours attack your tastebuds, difficult to split them from each other, I liked it.

For a 9% beer there is not a great mouthfeel, but there isn't in many triples, again strange.

A very drinkable beer, would like to see it on tap on day.

04-20-2007 19:57:43 | More by BlackHaddock