Lucifer - Brouwerij Het Anker

LuciferLucifer

Brouwerij Het Anker visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2009)

4.68/5  rDev +23.5%

4.53/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Duvel tulip, it's a slightly hazed bright golden color with a massive white head that makes for a slow pour. It's big and rocky leaving a mess of stick on the sides, as lots of bubbles rapidly shoot upwards from the base of the glass.

Smell is bright and floral, with a grassy hop aroma that seems dry hopped to me, some spicy black pepper and just a hint of swaeet tree fruits.

Taste just bursts with flavor and is exceptionally smooth. Lots of grassy, spicy and fruity flavor, with a dry hop sort of quality to the grassiness like the smell. I don't know if it's actually dry hopped but that's what I'm thinking based on what I'm tasting/smelling. There is a very subtle sweetness of pale malt and pears. Some black pepper as well. I am marveling at how flavorful and smooth this is.

Mouthfeel is very crisp yet smooth, with a light creaminess to it as well. Finishes dry and clean, and the crispness is very refreshing.

As I was drinking this I found myself saying 'man, this is better than Duvel,' but I almost didn't want to believe what I was thinking. I happened to have a few bottles of Duvel in the cellar, so I cracked one for a side by side. Duvel smells a bit sweeter while Lucifer has a bigger grassy hop nose and is a bit more floral I think. Taste wise, Duvel is again a bit sweeter, while the grassy and spicy characters of Lucifer jump out more. I stand by my original assessment; this is better than Duvel. It even keeps more stick than Duvel. I never had the old version of Lucifer brewed by Riva, and there are very few reviews of this new one so far, but in my opinion this is an absolutely exceptional beer. I enjoyed it immensely.

4.51/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Carter's brewery pint glass.

A: Pours a dark golden color lookin like a boss. Beautiful white puffy head, great retention, definitely a belgian.
S: Big yeasty ester aroma. To me, its a wet dream of belgian beer aroma. Big banana, apple, and a hint of citrus. traces of clove and spice mixed in.
T: Big assault of yeast, spice and fruit. huge character of sweet citrus and herbal hops. lovely, oh so lovely. killer beer. Alcohol sets in mid-palate to finish and leaves a mild bready yeast after note.
M: Strong carbonation and huge body. large personality in this brew
O: Definitely a killer beer. Puts most beers, including belgians, to their knees. beautiful aroma of everything that begians stand for. Taste is huge with a prodigious amount flavor. Hops, sweet banana, and yeast. well worth the dollar to buy it. i approve this message

Lucifer from Brouwerij Het Anker