Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) - Brouwerij Het Anker

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)

Brouwerij Het Anker visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-03-2002

Reviews: 860 | Hads: 1,699
4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Tulip glass.

A: Pours a cola-like brownish, kind of dull, with two fingers of fluffy off-white head. Excellent retention but minimal lacing.

S: Primarily dark fruit: currant, raisin, some black cherry.

T: Rich, fruity malt with prominent notes of dark fruit, esp. blackcurrant, a touch of oxidized character like you’d get from a sherry (odd since this is not aged?), with a moderate-high sweetness.

M: Creamy mouthfeel, per the style, with medium high carbonation on a medium body. Hides the alcohol extremely well.

O: A well constructed ale, but it’s a style I don’t really know what to do with it, being super fruity, sweet, and high alcohol. I don’t partciularly feel like drinking it on its own, but I could see it pairing well with some beef stew or other dark meat dish. (797 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a deep black with the slightest hints of deep amber. Bananas come through in the aroma predominately with hints of oak,plum, raisin, and vanilla. A lot of the same flavors come through in the taste with some cherry, chocolate, and red wine on the finish. Thick body with little carbonation. Alcohol is hidden fairly well. Great pickup! I can see how aging would make this golden! (386 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Ruby brown, hard to see any carbonation in the body, and looks clear as opposed to cloudy on the first pour. One finger of beige head. The foam remains for a long time.

S: Creamy, bananas, dark fruits, fruity and floral, shaving cream, cherries, rubbing alchol, raisins, dates, dark breadiness.

T: Bananas, then a sweet dark raisin almost coke like consistency and flavor comes in, then just pure brown sugar, it opens to figs, hides the alcohol very well for 11%, slight vanilla, clean linen. Little burn in the throat, but very well hidden alcohol. Shaving cream unfolds after several sips. Really smooth.

M: Smooth, doesn’t stick to the mouth in spite of the sugars, medium foamy carbonation helps achieve this.

O: Drank Feb 25, 2014 and this was a 2012 vintage brewed as stated on the bottle from Feb 24th, 2012. Drank in Kunming China, so its practically the 24th in Belgium, and I only noticed this before pouring it and after chilling it tonight. Coincidence? I think not. Its been sitting on my shelf for months. (1,035 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass

This beer was such an interesting twist on what I had expected. First off the beer pours like a quad, light brown with a good amiunt of head. That was the best part of this beer. After that all I could smell and taste was sweetness. It's like the brewer took tons of sugar and mixed it with a pound of yeast and hops. A lot of these reciews say to age for 4 years before it becomes good. But why would you want to buy a beer you have to age that long before it becomes good. To me if they would have lowered the sweetness it could have been much better. (598 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a murky red colour. Spooky. Head is beige, thin. Lace is beautiful and thick. Why can't head retain more?

Banana, and booze, on the nose. Sweet wheat characters with a touch of brandy on there, vanilla, slight chocolate note and toffee. Bit strong and sweet for me, but I'm holding out hope.

Taste is more grounded with more sweet characters running through it, and not so much booziness. Lots of banana flavour, some rum, maple syrup and a touch of vanilla at the end. It's a very sweet brew, and I would like some hopping or more phenolic spice at the end, but it's not overblown and fairly well tamed. So, you know, kudos.

Bit prickly, mostly foamy, on the feel, with an expectedly sticky body. Pretty fluid. Quite interesting.

Bit sweet for me, but there's a fair amount of love and care, and interest in big, boozey beers that's really plain here. I couldn't drink it all night and I probably wouldn't order another, but, you know, kudos? (953 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into Tulip Glass from 750 ML Bottle. 2012 Bottle

A: Deep brown that, under light, turns a deep orangish hue. White to off white small bubbled head. It sticks around for quite a while. Lacing throughout.

S: Belgian yeast. Dark fruits. Cherries. Very light hops... smooth and mellow.

T: Surprisingly sweet. But... FANTASTIC. Cherries, prunes, elderflower. Belgian yeast. Can't find the 11% alcohol at all. Some sips... I wonder if I am tasting a sweet/sour wine.

M: Medium to light body. Hard to believe it is so light for the amount of materials to make style/alcohol.

O: This is very tasty. I have read some great reviews saying I should age longer... I would agree. I think this is fantastic brew, but slightly green. 2 years are just not enough to really pull the flavors that other reviewers are finding. (823 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the 2011 bottle aged for nearly 4 years

This one pours a very dark brown with a reddish tinge to it and has a very delicate long lived head that leaves good lacing down the glass. The appearance of this beer for this style is spot on perfect.

The smell is quite fruity and spicy with notes of bread, caramel, coriander, grass, plums and a tinge of hops.

The taste is sublime and delicate. The beer is rich and lasting in flavors that coats the palate in bliss and finishes clean.

Overall it is a near perfect beer, the alcohol was a bit pronounced, beyond that it is as close to perfect as you can get without being totally perfect.

The recommendation on this one it to age it for at least 4 years, we had a special occasion and had it 6 months early. (764 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: dark ruby liquid, brown highlights, subtle haze... 1"+ of cappuccino-like foam, holds then fades in ~3 min... webby lace

S: dark grape, brown sugar, hint of alcohol, ripe raisin... fairly bold and intense aromas

T: gloriously-balanced, extra-rich, creamy caramel and dark, vinous fruits (concord grape, raisin, maybe even date)... malty as hell... moderately red wine like alcohol in the finish

M: super-luscious, plump-round, silky body backed by a dangerously subdued booze... the body may be too full, the booze too well-hidden (it'd be nice to have a little more exposed kick)... supreme decadence for malt-heads, like myself

O: that chick wasn't kidding - this is a real treat - she hoards this stuff like its a vaccine for the plague, always informs me that we are close to being out of stock... there seems to be a new case in every week, so I pay no mind... this may very well be in the top 3 of quintessential Belgian "strong dark" ales one must try - one to measure the style's greatness by (1,007 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%

750 mL corked bottle picked up at the LCBO; 'best before' June 19 2023 (very precise for a date that won't come for nearly a decade). I picked this bottle up a few months ago intending to hold onto it for a year or two, but I later decided it'd be a good way to celebrate my 600th review. This is the 2013 version, served at cellar temperature.

This strong ale pours a lovely garnet-brown colour, topped with just over one finger of silky-smooth, light beige-coloured head. A virtual army of tiny bubbles constantly rushes to the surface, to reinforce the extraordinarily long-lasted froth floating there. Great retention, lots of lace, and a very enticing aroma that features raisins, sherry, toffee sweetness and dates, in addition to yeast and some ethanol. Quite sweet and fragrant; very fruity.

Very full-flavoured, and certainly leaning toward the saccharine side. Brown sugar, toffee and candi sugar are easily detectable, followed by some sweet orchard fruit flavours including sultanas, dates and plums. The sherry vibes are still noticeable, but not as prominent as on the nose. It finishes with a bit of a rum-raisin flavour, as well as a touch of spicy clove and anise. Sweet, warm aftertaste; the first sip was positively hot but my palate eventually adjusted to the high alcohol content. Full-bodied and silky-smooth on the tongue, with moderate carbonation; perhaps a little less spritzy than I prefer from this style. A delicious sipper that will warm your bones on a cold evening.

Final Grade: 4.26, a fabulous A-. Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw is a world-class beer, but it's definitely not for everyone. The flavours are quite bold and the sweetness can border on cloying at times, with the high alcohol content being immediately noticeable. That being said - none of those are necessarily deal-breakers in this style, and it's probably my fault for cracking open such a young bottle anyway. This is a very solid Belgian strong dark ale that is worth seeking out for cellaring purposes. I know I'll be on the lookout for it, especially if the price remains so staggeringly low - $7.80 for a high-quality 11% Belgian beer is a virtual steal! (2,160 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage.
Dirty brown/bronze in color, small one finger head for a short time, thin sticky lace for the rest of the drink.
Red grapes/wine is easy to get right after pouring it. Giving it a closer smell, banana, lots of brown sugar, raisin, fig, faint chocolate, Belgian-type spices.
The smell prepared me for a sweet brew, and the first sip delivered. Dark fruit and caramel meld from start to finish: dry figs, dates, raisins, forest berry jam, juicy plums paired with brown sugar caramel and Belgian candi sugar. A mild toasted malt throughout. Lots of spices, from clove, faint licorice, cinnamon and pepper to vanilla (nice oaky notes from time to time). Warmth of the alcohol gets felt soon enough, reminding of mulled wine and dark rum. Some bittering hops in the finish to counter the sweetness of it all.
Very smooth body, lwo carbonation, silky. A bit too sweet later on, clinging in the aftertaste more than i'd like. Helps cover up the booze tho, so that's ok.
A great tasty BSDA, nicely in control of its abv. Pretty sure a wine barrel aged version of this would be incredible, until then, just very good. (1,122 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2009 release poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a medium brown color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains brown sugar, dark fruit, caramelized malts, some Belgian yeast and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of caramel, brown sugar and dark fruit. Then a hearty malt character and Belgian yeast breadiness comes in. The hops presence is mild but complementary creating a good balance and there’s some spice in the background that creeps in. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style, this is a decent dark Belgian to sip on for a while. (826 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2008 Vintage. One of the older beers in my cellar, well by that I mean longest lasting. I have been aging this beer for about 4-5 years now.

Served in a balloon glass. The cork came out with not much effort and without much "pop", but there was a decent amount of head. The glass of beer looks like murky water, with a muddy brown hue that carries highlights of purple rose. The head starts with a thick crown (only when poured aggressively) which slowly dissipates and leaves behind a coating of lace.

The aroma is wonderfully rich. It shows off mature signs of aging, with a sherry and brandy-like quality coming out of the glass. There are hints of molasses and black cherry. Some signs of oxidation. Brown sugar, maple, vanilla bean. There are some sweet aromas here, and I'm not complaining! It really smells excellent.

The full-bodied beer isn't supported much by carbonation. It isn't flat, but the carbonation is fairly low. The flavor is a jam-packed mix of dark malts and dark fruits. The various flavors of brown sugar, molasses, chocolate, raisins, cherries, alcohol, and a light tartness all cross the palate in waves of flavor. The alcohol makes it's presence known in the aftertaste and at the swallow. But there is no burn here....it's not "hot" which is very important for a higher abv beer.

This is an excellent beer. The aroma and flavor are strong, complex, and truly delicious. Aging has worked for this beer. The oxidation qualities have completely worked alongside the already complex and delicious flavor. I didn't drink this alone, but I could have. It's a very good beer that deserves more attention than it gets. I wish I would have tried this side by side with a new bottle. (1,707 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled in year 2012.

A: Murky dark brown, Henna color. Small head, the bottle describes the head as velvety and I would agree.

S: Sweet Caramel upfront, with the smell of fruity sweetness. Also I smell apples.

T: I gave this a 5.0 for taste. It has everything im looking for when buying a Belgium strong ale. Its very sweet, has a dark fruit complex aided with roasted pecans. Plus the belgium yeast gives so much dimension.

M: I'd say not quite full bodied but close, the carbonation cuts through the sweetness leaving the mouth feeling refreshed so your tongue doesn't mistake it for syrup.

O: A perfect belgium beer, I will be buying again for sure (657 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A beer I'd really been impressed by in my early days of craft beer, I'm giving it a revisit and proper review.

I pour it into a Belgian flute glass held straight up and this produces a huge frothy head. The foam is light and compact and has a tan color to it. The body is almost pitch black save for some hues of grape skin color.

A huge nose awaits me with an abundance of potent dark fruit aroma. Prunes and plums dominate, although I do detect some pineapple, Belgian candy syrup and sweet, thick malt. I do notice some peppery yeast as well.

Many of the aromas find their way on to my palate, but I also get a thick, raisiny malt flavor. Prunes, Belgian candy syrup, and some wine-like grape character are in there.

As far as how this beer drinks, it's alternately sweet, effervescent, creamy and thick, with a slight tartness and wine-like quality. It's enjoyable to drink and quite smooth for a burly beer with numerous flavors and aromas.

I'd say I'm not as blown away as I was the first time I tried this beer, but it's an excellent beer all the same. I may be biased because part of my mind wants me to love this beer as much as I did the first time, but it's not far off from that first experience. (1,216 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2010 Vintage Sampled January 2014

APPEARANCE- Deep bronze with ruby highlights, chill haze that gradually improves with warmth, and low, off-white head with very poor retention and little lace. No legs.

NOSE- big spicy red grape aroma hits first, pinot noir?,...notes of licorice and of course, big, deep, caramel maltiness, cherry skin and plum skin, dates, creamy character of vanilla and cinnamon probably attributable to oxidized alcohol, some acetlaldehyde and a hint of fusel, complex, intense, and deep aroma. Lovely.

FLAVOR- thick base of caramel, cream, and amber honey supports very subdued phenols, moderate-strong dark fruit esters including a notable blackberry, and a brighter raspberry character. More licorice character, a dusting of walnut, hints of dark rum, very faint hint of orange rind lurks far beneath the surface, pleasantly minty here and there... damn. Huge vanilla in the finish. Maybe a little diacetyl, but you really gotta hunt for it w all the other stuff going on... no noticeable hop bitterness, though I suspect some portion of the licorice/mint/blackberry thing must be hop-derived. I swear for split second I get a note of kiwi. I'd do desperate things to get crème brulee next to this beer, cuz I swear theres one in it, garnishes and all.

MF- The hallmark of all Het Anker's ales is unquestionably the rich, luxurious, velvety, creamy mouthfeel. This is full-bodied, naturally, but never heavy on the palate. I will fault this vintage for retaining a little heat over the years, and going lightly astringent...probably from oxidation. Medium and beautifully fine carbonation.

OVERALL- I have at this point had 3 or 4 bottles of Cuvee van de Kaizer, both blue and red. I am in the habit of consuming them between 3-5 years old. I have been both beautifully rewarded and horribly disappointed. I'm sure it all comes down to storage practices. If you are into cellaring beer, this is certainly one to try, and I'm sure a vertical project would be a very enjoyable experiment. I am always caught off-guard over and over by how Het Anker's huge, full-bodied beers float on the palate and offer up so many bright and spritely flavors. (2,176 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served in a Belgian Orval Trappist glass.

Dark ruby color with a 1 finger head.

One can smell the aroma from the corked bottle which is more prominent in the glass- fruit, esters, raisins, figs, highly complex.

The mouth feel is very carbonated and suits the style transitioning well into the taste.

Incredible taste. One of the best Belgian strong ales( if not the best) I have tasted. Figs, plum, raisins, sweetness and more.

Strong alcoholic finish, worthy of the complexity of this beer.
A major league sipper.

Overall: a classic which should be on every beer geek's list. (585 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Out of the beautiful bottle and into an oversized wine glass

A: Dark and luscious. Looks almost like a Coca-Cola: deep auburn. Not much head (may be because of my pour) but leaves a great lace

S: Malts, fruit, serious fig notes, brown sugar (you make me feel so good)

T: Figs, and lots of it! Cherry, and maybe like a hint of cognac. Sweet candi, brown sugar, red grapes. So much flavor, it's ridiculous. It's like a port or dessert wine almost, yet without an overbearing alcohol content.

M: Medium bodied, silky smooth. It soaks the tongue.

O: Great, well crafted beer. Very delicious. Could drink it over and over. A good drunk too. (650 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark brown, slight red hue, nice brown head.

S: Grapes and caramel in the nose.

T: Sweet grapes, caramel and apple flavors with a slight taste of alcohol.

M: Extremely smooth, and a nice medium body.

O: Among the best belgian ales I've ever had. A great example of the style. (282 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Uma cerveja com certeza muito poderosa e de valor. Uma coisa que me incomodou um pouco foi o excessivo dulçor. Mas mesmo assim ela tem muita personalidade. É forte, marcante e com uma notável licorosidade. Foi uma honra degustá-la. Uma ótima experiência. (260 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2012 poured to snifter

Dark reddish brown, opaque appearance. Nice tan head that settles to a consistent film.

Smell is sweet and spicy: brown sugar, banana and clove most evident

Loads of residual sugars... flavor is very sweet with caramel and molasses and fig notes on the front.... banana, spice, brown sugar and a hint of hop bitterness and alcohol on the back end

Mouth feel is nice: significant body thinned by the alcohol, and sharpened by the carbonation

I expect a big Belgian to be on the sweet side, and this certainly hits that... maybe a little too sweet on the front of the tongue. Slight hop bitterness adds some needed contrast, and while some fruit esters are evident, they are somewhat mixed and indistinct under the sweetness. It would be interesting to see how this one ages further, but overall just too sweet for a 5 star rating in my estimation. (874 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3%

750ml bottle, 2012 vintage.
Hazy, dark mahogany, about one finger of foam. Retention is pretty good while some sparse, tattered lacing is left. Aroma is awesome: candied dark fruits soaked in rum, more than a little bit of alcohol, a bit of yeastiness underneath.

Loads of sweetness upfront, to a fault. Gouden Carolus Classic is quite sweet, but there's enough bitterness to maintain balance; not so here. Plenty of dark candi sugar in this, for sure. That's really the only major fault, though. Tons of rum-soaked, candied dark fruit. Some clove/banana in the background. Carbonation is nicely restrained. Alcohol definitely rears its head, but stops short of being boozy.

This is really a great dark Belgian ale, but the sweetness is almost cloying and holds it back from being epic. Still makes a great after-dinner sipper. (829 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark mahogany with ample cherry glints. The smallish, crackly off white cap is pretty shortlived. The aroma is rich caramel malts, raisins, field berries. An intense wall of malt hits in the first sip. Rum soaked Christmas cake, sangria, plum, cinnamon, vanilla and a million other flavors fill the palate. Hops are scarce, as is the lofty 11% ABV. Its amazing how well the booze heat is hidden. The mouthfeel is full bodied verging on viscous with a medium carbonation level. The finish is fruity with a light hop bitterness and a bit of herbal hop character.

Overall this is a sweet but not overly so beer. Lots of malt complexity and fruityness and the very high ABV is surprisingly (and dangerously) well hidden. Try this. (734 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Being a great fan of their Classic and the Christmas, but being the only true beerlover in the household I decided to pick up a bottle even though I will have to drink it by myself.

2013 version

Look very dark amber/ruby. No yeast on the first pour ofcourse.
The head dissappears quickly.

Smells good, nice dark fruits and caramel malts. Just as one would expect really.
One of those beers you will love if you like dubbels and quadrupels.

Taste much like the smell. A tasty beer. Nice and sweet, warming alcohol and nice dark fruits and caramel. Some spice too. Good stuff!

Some more fresh fruity notes too, light red apple and maybe red grapes.

The alcohol does not overpower it.

Mouthfeel is medium to full. Smooth and the carbonation is perfect for this kind of beer.

Very good. Worth trying if you like their other dark ales or Rochefort for example. (864 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2011 Vintage poured into a chalice

Appearance - reddish brown liquid with a small amount of tan head

Smell - raisins, plums, dates, cherries, brown sugar

Taste - raisins, dates, prunes, plums, caramel, grapes

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, lighter carbonation, very sweet upfront and in the finish, flavors linger, boozy but the alcohol isn't overwhelming

Overall - nice Belgian ale worth a shot

Price Point - $17.99/4 pk 11.2 oz bottles (440 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -41.4%

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (2012)
This beer seems to be enjoyed by most and came highly recommended, yet it did not live up to the fanfare. This was recommended based on my love of quads, yet this is a strong dark ale, not a quad. I don't know why two different guys at two different beer stores told me this was a quad.
This pours a dark brown, looks beautiful and rich. Minimal head.
Nose is very sweet and when swirled brings out a pungent smell of alcohol.
Taste is very sweet, to a fault. Dark fruits, brown sugar and alcohol are prominent on the tongue. Have I mentioned it's far too sweet?
I shared this with several friends and no one else liked it either. We can't all be wrong about this highly rated beer can we? Is it possible I got a bad bottle? I hope so. (772 characters)

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) from Brouwerij Het Anker