Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) - Brouwerij Het Anker

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)

Brouwerij Het Anker visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-03-2002)
ppoitras

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

25.4oz bottle from beerhandy as part of BIF 24. Thanks for the opportunity. Neck label notes "Jaargang 2005", corked and caged.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 1 1/2" tan head above the bright burgundy brew. Headgrows for awhile, before settling down to drinkable levels after 10 minutes, with heavy foam lacing. Aroma is lightly spicy, with a banana sweetness . Taste is as good as the nose portended, with perhaps a little room for more flavor intensity, but I'm nit-picking. Mouthfeel is oh-so creamy and smooth, and drinkability is tremendous, especially for something of this abv. Just stupid drinkable. A brew fit for a king, in my book.

11-29-2005 02:48:32 | More by ppoitras
barknee

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Sample is a 25.4 ounce Vintage dated bottle from the one-time, once a year, February 24th 2004 limited production. (A small quantity of this brew is made on this date each year)
Pours a magnificent deep dark cloudy brownish-amber color, with some suspended particulate. A deep ½” mocha colored head, dissipates to a slick on top. The nose of massively rich butterscotch sours from the glass and is accompanied by warm caramelized sweet malts. The nose is unusual and distinguished; building uncontrollable anticipation for the tasting, which promises to be something very special.
OMG! The taste is out of this world!! Mature & complex roasted malts and fresh young turbinado sugar on the tip of the tongue. This (I almost wrote wine) brew is multi-dimensional, perfectly balanced and unbelievably delicious. The alcohol, at 10%, is completely undetectable, as tons of flavors impact the entire mouth. The interaction of the nose of this creation, and the simultaneous tasting of it is as harmonious as it gets; the very heady butterscotch with a negligible sour lining wrapped gently around the nose, and the impact of the slightly sweet caramelzation of the malts is virtually indescribable.
This brew you would expect to be a broodingly rich and flabby mess from the massiveness of the nose. That’s the surprise; it is lean to medium bodied, but super-concentrated on flavor, highly refined and flamboyant. The essence of the taste is remotely reminiscent to a lighthearted version of a fine young unadulterated tawny port, such as Taylor Fladgate’s 10 year. The mouthfeel is primo, perfect acid-sugar ratio, light and clean in the mouth, you could drink this endlessly. You would never expect this of the mouthfeel based on the unbelievable massiveness of the nose. The flavors last more than a minute in the mouth.
I will go on record to say that this is the most exciting and complex brew I have ever had the pleasure of partaking. It is indeed a nectar of and for the gods, formulated and prepared with the utmost of love and respect, it is a rare opportunity that simply cannot be missed. Bravo!!

11-28-2005 00:51:33 | More by barknee
carln26

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Dark brown color, very clear with a thick off-whiye head. The head leaves a nice lace as I drink the beer. Wonderful aroma of caramel, figs, sherry, and a little bit of mandarin orange. There’s just a little spice (cloves I believe) on the back end. The taste has a bit of toffee/pralines with more of the sherry. Orange and clove come across in the finish. Just a touch of alcohol heat. Full, mildly oily mouth feel. Good drinkability. Thanks so much to Jake of 33 who got this for me.

11-25-2005 01:45:28 | More by carln26
stof0048

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Poured into a Watou chalice. Very deep brown with a hint of red when held in the light. Very little to no head with lacing that sticks to the glass.

S: A bit of a molasses smell, somewhat malty. Sweet, dark candies also present.

T: Decadent. Dark candy, a slight hint of anise, malt, amost no hop taste, alcohol is present but nicely balanced and faintly noticeable. Plums, brown sugar, molasses...

M: Goes down like silk. Very creamy mouthfeel with a bit of bite from the alcohol when you let it sit on your tongue for a moment.

D: Very easy to drink despite alcohol content. Don't know if I'd be able to polish off multiple bottles, but it's a wonderful beer that is wonderful in every aspect. Highly recommend!

11-21-2005 00:04:30 | More by stof0048
Lnedrive14

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a Rochefort chalice from a 750ml bottle. 2005.

The bottle says it gets better with age, but I couldn't wait. It pours a rich mahagony with a small head. Reminds me of the St. Bernadus. Beautiful beautiful.

Fruity smell is mellowed by the maltiness. Figs, cloves, and maybe even a little banana really come out in this brew. Very complex and delicious.

It tastes a bit sweeter than I had anticipated. Definitely malty, but slightly more subdued than other beers of similar style. It's an amazing brew, but I do think it will become more complex with age. Wish I had another bottle to cellar.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed having a beer in my mouth more than this. I almost wanted to drink faster just so I could get an explosion of it all at once, but at the same time I didn't want the experience to be over so fast. I didn't even taste the alcohol.

This is one of the best brews I've ever had. I think I enjoyed the St. Bernadus 12 a bit more, but this one might have had even more complexity to it.

Go grab one. Now!

11-03-2005 17:26:50 | More by Lnedrive14
gimmehead

Note: 2003 vintage consumed 6/15/05

A rich, burgundy brown hued brew with a soft, sticky beige head that lasts forever and lovingly coats the glass. Smell is very sweet; candy sugar and buttery malts, cotton candy springs to mind. I just couldn't get enough of the aroma, I stuck my face in the chalice and breathed deeply for the better part of half an hour. It has a beautiful estery, vinous quality which fades to rich sweetness and hints of lush dark fruits. Amazing. If it tastes like it smells I'm afraid I'll weep. Nothing for it but to part lips and pour... sweet mercy, it does! Holding back sobs of joy I enjoy the soft vinous character, the ripe apples and cherries. The buttery malts and candy sugar are toned down a bit compared to the nose but still very flavorful. The finish is very winey and has a perfect alcohol warmth. The mouthfeel is perfect as well, thick and substantial with some soft carbonation tickle. Just right.

I have never reviewed a beer as a perfect 5 before, and I do so with some trepidation. How can a beer be perfect? Can it not be improved upon? Questions that I don't take lightly. The only answer I can come up with is that this is simply the best beer I've ever had. Every aspect was perfect in my mind: sweetness, fruityness well blended alcohol, etc. This is the standard to which I'll hold all Quads and Belgian Strong Darks to. The bar is set.

11-01-2005 01:23:29 | More by gimmehead
whynot44

Missouri

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Reddish mahogany color with a moderate fluffy tan head that disipates to just a ring fairly quickly but still leaves some decent lace.

The aroma is figs, plums, raisins, caramel, yeasty fresh bread, rum.

The taste is winy and fruity with nuts, brown sugar, caramel and spicy, peppery, yeasty bread - brandy soaked fruitcake without the lumps. Full bodied and a little sweet up front but balnced by the spiciness and alcohol content. Smooth and easy to sip.

Definitely recomended.

10-29-2005 03:47:56 | More by whynot44
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

This beer is hardcore. I'm glad I had a friend to share it with, because I got a hell of a buzz off of only half of the 750mL bottle. Pours to a dark nutty brownish amber color with very little head. Leaves no lacing on the glass, but does leave a syrupy film of sorts.

The smell is great. Smells very malty and sweet with some dark fruity esters and candi sugar. Below that is a bit of a vanilla rum bozziness. I could bury my nose in this for quite some time, and I did.

The taste is just as good as the nose. Very sweet at first, but the flavors begin to really show as it warms from cellar temp. The alcohol is quite noticiable, but not harsh. Very mellow, but with a decent bite to let you know it's there.

The drinkability is high on the "would I try it again" scale, but on the sessionability scale this scores very low. This stuff is hella strong... a sipper to the core of its very being. Quite savoury indeed.

10-23-2005 04:06:35 | More by neonbrown82
ybnorml

Rhode Island

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

First This beer is called "Grand Cru of the Emperor" Dated 2003 and the label says 10% by Volume.
An opaque brown beer . Has a small egg shell white head and a little bit of lace. The aroma is a strong sweet dried fruit , figs, raisins and plums. There is a soft doughy aroma in the background with the alcohol. The taste is ful of dried fruit, some fig, then some raisin, some plum, then back to fig etc. All with a hint of tabacco at the back of the throat and a dry finish. I finisihed off the whole bottle while eating dinner . That is how easy drinking this is. A real treat. I Will Be Looking For More!

10-18-2005 21:52:58 | More by ybnorml
GCBrewingCo

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

The beer poured into the chalice crystal clear deep amber brown with a tan and frothy head which rose tall and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was very fruity with a slightly floral aspect. The fruits were dark and included raisins and prunes/plums. Also presence was a peppery spice and Belgian yeast characteristic. A strong dark caramel was present as well as some higher alcohol phenolics.

The flavor was deep dark caramel with a strong fruit component of prunes coupled with plums and raisins. The fruit was strong and biscuity with fruit in the beginning, middle and end. The flavor contained a nice spice which was peppery and also had some other spice aspects which were not dicernable. The flavor was slightly sweet and malty but was restrained with the other flavors and the alcohol level of the beer.

The finish was dry with a lasting deep dark caramel and fruit flavor that lingers well into the aftertaste. The body was medium with a nice carbonation level. The alcohol was prevalent throughout. With warming after consumption being a strong component of the beer. As the beer warmed a nutty characteristic and a strong sweetness emerged in the flavor after consumption.

750 ml corked and bailed bottle. 2005 on neck label. $8 at Wine Warehouse in Charlottesville, VA. Label says 10% ABV.

10-07-2005 23:32:08 | More by GCBrewingCo
texashammer

3.43/5  rDev -20.4%

very dark but shows red notes in light. extremely thick head. very pretty.
smells of candy sugar and earthy sweetness and alcohol. tastes like molasses. warming alcohol. some floral notes, and caramel, and more molasses.
mouthfeel is somewhat slick, very full and kind of syrupy. not something I'm terribly excited about.

09-25-2005 15:52:46 | More by texashammer
beerhandy

Oklahoma

2005 bottle..Duvel Tulip
Pours murky brown with a beige head that fades to a foam lace .As it warms it clears to a rich copper.

Aroma is of dark jaggery, alcohol and some fruitiness maybe liquid mincemeat

Taste is very sweet and rich with no hops. Dark candy sugar and lots of it. Hints of spiciness nutmeg maybe cinnamon it’s very subtle. Finishes sweet with a warming from the alcohol

Medium to full mouth feel its so full of residual sugar its hard to place
If you like sweet dark Belgians this is a keeper

09-24-2005 23:55:27 | More by beerhandy
meathookjones

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

750ml bottled corked and caged with 2005 around the neck label. Dark and murky reddish brown with a quickly erupting tall light tan head. Great lacing was left as a tight cap of foam held together. Sweet ripe dark fruit really come on strong with a bit of caramel coating. Some mixed spices come out nicely as does a bit of yeast aroma. Big fruitiness starts off the flavor also with figs, raisins and plums covered with a bit of caramel and a light alcohol. Good spiciness and yeast flavor add to the complexity. Ends on a spicy sweet dark fruity note. Pretty thick body with a very creamy smooth texture to it, though I think a touch more thickness would be nice. Greatly drinkable as well. Overall a great fruity Belgian dark that is all around delicious.

09-24-2005 21:03:18 | More by meathookjones
egajdzis

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

2002 Poured a hazy reddish brown color with no head or lacing. Aroma of apples, plums, cardamom, sweet caramel malt, chocolate, and some alcohol. Sweet malty, and spicy (cinnamon) taste with a dry, earthy finish. Light carbonation, and alcohol was noticed at the end.

09-20-2005 14:46:06 | More by egajdzis
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

From a 2004 corked and caged brown 750 ml bottle, thanks in advance to Phyl21ca for the bottle.

Poured into a chalice a rich hazy brown, bright chestnut highlights on the nimbus, decent beige head with minimal retention, but does settle to a firm thin cap.

Strong aroma of rum-soaked raisins, sweet fig newtons, rich English toffee, mildly vinuous. There is a presence of sweet sponge-cake as well, a very sugary, bready character.

Holy living hell Batman, I'm not sure what the heck is in here, but I like it right from the start. Sweet off the top, like original date Turkish delight, rum raisins, toffee and caramel, dates and figs, buttery Belgian milk chocolate, rose water in the mix. The alcohol content is masterfully hidden. This is malt heaven, seriously. I can't remember tasting something so intense and fantastic in a very long time, and I'm only a half-dozen sips into this thing.

Smooth rich mouthfeel that tends to stick to the roof of the mouth after a while. Who the hell cares after a while given the intensity of the flavour?

Well-rounded all the way through, this stuff whips the pony's ass, I could easily revert back from my hop-head ways for more of this malty goodness, I never knew it was ever made so well. Exceptional in its execution of its flavour profile, a limited edition, but I hope they make more along this line in the future, this is the alpha and omega of fine malty Belgian goodness. I've had hits and misses regarding Carolus, but this reaches the top of the mountain and lets off a shower of fireworks as far as what they are capable of producing. A deep bow to Phyl21ca for the trade, he is a gentleman for his good taste.

09-08-2005 22:41:02 | More by IronDjinn
medic25

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a ruby red color, with very little of a head. Nose is quite sweet, very raisiny. First sip is overpowering with it's sweetness! Deliicious malty flavor, with a strong, rumcake-type of flavor that goes down very easily. For 11% ABV the alcohol flavor is masked quite well. The complexity of flavors definitely improves as the beer warms from the fridge. The sugary flavor also makes this beer quite drinkable, which is a little scary for something packing such a punch!

08-22-2005 02:26:41 | More by medic25
phisig137

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

This is quite possibly the best beer I have ever consumed. Absolutly perfect in every way as far as I'm concerned. I had a couple bottles last year (2004), and I think that the 2005 is slightly better. I bought one bottle this year the first time I saw it, and it was so good that I went back the next day and purchased a whole case! (It comes in a really sweet wooden crate too)

Mouthfeel is exceptional, with flavors of dark dried fruits, caramel, and a slight hint of mocha. This beer hides it's alcohol exceptionally well, but still will warm you from the insides out. The aroma is dominated by sweet caramel, with hints or raisons and dates shining through. Head dissapates relatively quickly, but a fair amount of lacing remains. While most belgians (doubles, triples, any really) should be served mostly warm, I enjoy chilling this one, and letting it develop as it warms.

When I bought the twelve bottle case, I removed the heavy duty staples from the lid, and opened it to make sure that everything looked OK on the inside. I then used nails to re-seal the case, and don't plan on opening it for at LEAST 3 years. The info sheet I found inside the case lists the shelf life of this beer in a cellar as "10+ years". After tasting it, I plan to buy a full case every year, and to start a vertical tasting every year with some good friends.

Honestly though.... this beer is pure nirvana. I find it to be similar in flavor and character to Rochfort 12, but for some reason, I give the edge to the Cuvee Van De Keizer. Simply the best beer in the world. Unmatched in every category as far as I'm concerned!

08-20-2005 02:56:15 | More by phisig137
BrewMaster

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

2003 bottle that luckily had been forgotten in the back of my fridge since the day I purchased it.

Appearance: Dark brown, hazy, cola like color with a brownish tan head that has smooth sand look to it. Very good head retention and slippery lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell: Vinous, caramel, raisins, figs, and a very hearty and sweet malt flavor. The aroma on this beer is very appealing and much like an after dinner wine.

Taste: Lively and slightly floral maltiness with rich brown sugar, molasses, raw sugar, and an alcohol warmth to it. There is no alcohol flavor, just a light warmth. More fruity flavors emerge as the beer warms. Grapes and chocolate with a roasty and toasty component to the malt developing. There's a slight starchy/vegetable flavor towards the end. The ending is long and malty sweet with flutters of candy sugar. The aftertaste is surprisingly crisp wiht a saltine cracker like flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and velvety with a mild syrupy character. For all the sweetness in this beer it is still leaves a nice dry feeling on the palate.

Drinkability: Yes please. I wish I had forgotten a few more bottles of this in my fridge. This was excellent with a robust and well balanced flavor. Aging definately did this beer some good.

Notes: We paired this beer with some chocolates from Belgium including Galler Lait (bar), Cote D'or Lait with hazelnuts (bar), Callebaut Lait (bar), Demaret Lait bar, and Demaret Lait assorted pralines. The Galler bar was by far the best pairing with this beer but the Demaret chocolates (from Verviers) were the best all around chocolate and would go well with any beer that matches well with chocolate. I recommend pairing this beer with good Belgian chocolate.

08-19-2005 22:44:23 | More by BrewMaster
DogFood11

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

This is simply one of the greatest beer I've ever consumed. I was looking through the coolers at Naja's in Redondo Beach and was deciding between a saison and a grand cru. Jason the owner suggested this is a perfect nightcapper BOY WAS HE RIGHT!!! Pour is so silky just like the mouthfeel it curls its way around every taste bud. some chocolaty/fruity aroma's. A full flavored boquet ready for gobbling. I just about fell of my bar stool after the first drink I was so impressed (or buzzed). Nutty up front with a malty/rich body that finishes sweet/Fruity with a slight bitter cleansing. I don't know how they could improve this beer as it is fit for an emperor. I will now go on a quest to get one of my local stores to order a case for me. I will beg, barter, bribe.

08-18-2005 17:04:42 | More by DogFood11
murrayswine

Arizona

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

I hunted thid one down for quite a bit, picked up a 4-pack of the 11.2's.

On opening the aroma was actually rather unattractive with a slightly musky smell mixed with loose citrus and toffee.

On pouring I was presented with a deep sienna colored body with a 1 1/2 inch head that leveled to a nice permanent lace.

The taste is slighly walnut with deep belgium chocolate and anise tart.

The mouth feel is perfect, the corect mix of bubbles and silk.

Overall an extremely drinkable beer that I highly recommend.

08-15-2005 02:09:16 | More by murrayswine
Sixpack595

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Wow, this must be the smallest 750ml bottle ever. It seems like I just cracked it and now its gone! Good sized cap of off white head and a dark burgundy body with good lacing. Sweet fruity aroma with just a touch of alcohol sneaking in. Flavor is sweet with dark fruits and little bitterness. Alcohol is noticable in effect, but not taste. Amazing. If it wasn't $9.50 a bottle I could drink this all night!

08-02-2005 07:53:08 | More by Sixpack595
ypsifly

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Corked and caged 750 from the '05 vintage, poured into a chalice.

Deep brown with a light tan head that stays at two fingers for a while before it leaves thick foam inside the glass.

Spicy yeast, clove, coriander, lemon zest, toffee, figs, powdered sugar, leather and licorice. Just a touch of peppery alcohol underneath. Lots going on here....outstanding!

Figs, plums, licorice, holiday spices, earth, cloves, cookie dough, brown sugar, and a finish that starts out sweet but fades into slightly bitter with a dry aftertaste. Slight pepper at the end as well, but this is the closest flavor to alcohol that registers....WOW!!! This one earns a five, no doubt. So much going on here. The mouthfeel is full and velvety. Really glides over my tongue and seeks out every nook and cranny in my mouth without being chewy or leaving any syrup. 10% abv or not, I could drink this all night, but I would force myself to sip and savor.

I have a new favorite belgian. Do your soul a favor and get a bottle of this ASAFP!!!!

08-02-2005 04:37:12 | More by ypsifly
battlekow

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this on-tap at Roman's Pub. Poured a very dark brown with a small off-white head. Smells like ripe, almost overripe fruit, cherries, and kind of like licorice. Also smells faintly spicy, and with a deep breath you can smell the 11% alcohol. Tastes intensely of Twizzlers licorice. The alcohol becomes more apparent as it warms. Very thick, coating mouthfeel. One of the most interesting beers I've ever had, and one of the best.

07-13-2005 20:22:58 | More by battlekow
kegerator

Maryland

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

750ml bottle. All black with a black ribbon that states "Grand Cru of the Emperor" bottled in 2004 and 10% abv.
Pours a deep brown with a nice 1 inch head that sticks around and leaves good lacing. Aroma was faint at best but got stronger as it warmed. Aromas of plums and raisins with some wine like esters and slight alcohol in the background.
Taste was all malt, caramel, sweet, raisiny with hints of dried fruits. It was full bodied yet smooth and danced on the tongue slightly leaving a nice alcohol warmth in the stomach. Very nice beer indeed.

06-27-2005 14:43:26 | More by kegerator
jakester

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

This was a 750ml corked bottle bought at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. Had Jaargang 2004 at the top. It was marked 10% alcohol. I believe them! I reviewed this while drinking it.

Pours a (this was in a Corsendonk glass, sorry!) very slightly hazy deep mahagony/ruby red with a soft brown tint. The head is @one finger, tan colored, with medium sized bubbles. The head drops off to islands after @ 3 minutes. Some carbonation visible.

The smell is of prunes, raisins, musty earth, burnt sugar, gin? Alcohol is also there in the back.

The flavor of this is so smooth I don't know where to begin. Sweet, musty prunes, gin soaked raisins, a soft bittering to counter-act the intense maltiness/fruitiness, maybe a little white pepper? A good deal of alcohol is also prevalent. A long, lingering, brown sugar sweetness finishes the taste.

The mouthfeel should be called mouthful. Intense sweetness, a "peppy" level of carbonation, and a very long aftertaste make this an absolutely scrumptious beer.

As for drinkability, I think after a while, the sweetness would become cloying, and the alcohol would knock your dick in the dirt, but overall, a very fine brew! Kind of reminds me of Kasteel.

06-22-2005 19:20:27 | More by jakester