Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) - Brouwerij Het Anker

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)

Brouwerij Het Anker visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-03-2002)

Beer4B, Aug 13, 2014

neorunner, Sep 12, 2013

ripweblo, Jun 07, 2013

XmnwildX12, Dec 13, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was a great beer to drink. I just know what I like and this us one that works for me. I liked the way it pored into my tulip glass. At first it was a little over powering but as I got further into the beer it turned out great? Will be drinking this again.

Flachs, Nov 18, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -18.1%

I was thrilled to have this, especially after the Kwak I had two days ago that was God awful (similar beers, for those who don't know, but avoid the Kwak like death). Poured with a slight 1/4 inch head. Balanced taste, with the hoppiness undercutting the sweetness, but a nice a finish. Very drinkable, and I could certainly see buying it again later on.

RyanPB, Feb 14, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -18.1%

A: Dark Amber, short head that quickly dissolves.
S: Strong caramel smell with hints of toffee, malts and smoke.
T: Very strong maple syrup taste that isn't something I particularly enjoy. Can definitely taste the high alcohol content.
M: A little too carbonated and thick for my liking.
D: Would only have one of these.

JustinOSU99, Feb 28, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

2007 Vintage - Let this brew warm up before consuming it gets much better.

A - Pours a solid dirty brown. Off brown head. Some debris is poured out as well.

S - Strongextra sweet caramel on the nose. Caramel middle. Strong alcohol, Belgian yeast, some biscuity hints

T - Along with the smell, a strong caramel taste, roasted malts, brown sugar, and some alcohol burning. Reminds me of a Rochefort 8. I'm not keen on such a strong alcohol taste though.

M - Excellent mouthfeel, not sticky and

D - Very sweet caramel overall.

Yesac, Oct 05, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured 2008 bottle into a Duvel glass. Appearence of dark reddish brown with a rather quickly dissipating head. Aromas of mostly raisins and dates with light brown sugar. Quite sweet in the taste. Tastes of mostly raisins and brown sugar. Has a long sweet finish that lingers for a while (the best aspect of the beer). I think this beer will pair well with Creme Brulee. I couldnt have more than one glass in a sitting. Not bad.

atpben, May 01, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

This one pours a dark brown with a good, tan head that that is slow to fade. The carbonation is high and it continues in sheets of bubbles long after the pour. The aroma is heavy in overripe and dried fruits with a noticeable alcohol presence. The body is very sweet, almost cloying and heavy in the overripe bananas and raisins. Perhaps it woudl be a tad better if it were dried out a touch, but it’s possible the alcohol would be too strong and unbalance the beer that way.

aracauna, Feb 12, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

750ml corked and caged bottle. 2007 vintage served at 53 degrees in my Gouden Carolus chalice. Poured a hazy mahogany with a half inch, loose, off-white head that quickly dissipated into a broken skim and a band that coalesced around the shoulders. Nose is vinous, with lots of dark fruit (figs and plums) and a slightly caustic alcohol nose that somewhat drowns out the other characteristics. Taste follows nose, but there's also a hint of chocolate in the mix, as well as an artificial sweetener quality, toffee and a buttery character. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a smooth, even carbonation. I've been looking forward to trying this one for a while, but I have to say that I was a little let down. The alcohol is a little too forward and it definitely crosses the line between complex brew and muddled mess. Probably my least favorite offering from this brewery.

Jwale73, May 18, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

Ok, this one was extremely interesting. The pour was beautiful. A medium to full dark color, less than any stout or porter, but bold. The creamy yellow white frothy head stood on top for a good while.

I spent a long time just enjoying all the bouquets and various aromas in this brew. I could sense a lot of malt, a good amount of barley, and just a hint of hop. What I would expect out of a Belgian ale.

The first taste, the ale exploded inside my mouth filling every possible part of my tongue with different tastes and spices.
But honestly, none of them seemed to blend themselves in any type of harmony. Instead I felt a series of different tastes that really didnt match all that well

I tasted a bit of burnt caramel with some degree of sweetness, almost what I would see from an ale seasoned inside a bourbon or rum wooden cask.

I think my expectations, especially from the look and feel of the bottle, the initial pour and visualization, it just didn't meet up to what I was looking for.

I think this is part of what beer tasting is all about. There have been some brews that I have enjoyed more than you can imagine and can not wait to have it again, while there are some while others rave about its characteristics, it all becomes so subjective in the end

rdilauro, Jul 09, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Sort of a orange/golden/amber color beer with a little haze and some pretty good active carbonation. The head poured huge and is still about a finger tall. Way to light and foamy, though the bottle does call it a blonde.

S: Vanilla, a little fruit, particularly bananas. Also just a little of that standard Belgian smell. Though you know, there is almost just the slightest hotness of alcohol to the smell. And it's not that strong.

T: Taste is pretty identical to the smell, though no alcohol. Very smooth, but I wish it was more hard hitting. I don't find it particularly dark or hard, but the bottle's description was accurate enough. I don't know, I'm not finding a lot to say about this beer, I'm just not finding much there. Maybe there's some corriander or something that I'm getting just at the very end.

M: Kinda has a little bit of carbonationy sharpness to it. But other than that, nothing to complain about, sort of thick, but not heavy? Does that make sense?

D: Drinkable, but not very high drinkability to me. Much too light, though the ABV is well hidden.

mdwalsh, Sep 28, 2009
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark with a reddish tinge when held to light. Medium tan head, large effervescent bubbles stream the sides of the glass to maintain a light froth on top.

Aroma displays lots of esters and some phenolics. Bubble gum, dark fruit, and sweet malt all interplay nicely. Flavor displays strong bubble gum phenolics, along with significant sweetness and cherry-like fruit. Some alcoholic flavors in the background as well.

I find the phenolics in this one a bit overpowering - would like to see more complexity and balance with other flavors. This is a very highly rated beer and it was not as good as I had expected. Overall, certainly a good Belgian dark but I believe there are better examples of the style out there.

marksto, Apr 13, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A-pours dark ruby red with a hint of haze, light tan creamy head and good lace left behind.

S-the nose brings lots of bready malts, notes of diacetyl, toffee and caramel behind, a good bit of anise, rum soaked cherries in the back.

T-follows the nose, bready malts, diacetyl, toffee and caramel, anise, rum soaked cherries in the back.

M-smooth and creamy on the palate, chewy and full body, good carbonation and nice crisp finish.

D-seems to be a bit of a mess and shows a good bit of alcohol in the back. also has a fair amount of diacetyl. must need age or something imo.

cpetrone84, May 20, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Huh, I'm actually a little surprised to see this beer rated so highly on this site. I thought it to be good, but not exceptional. Part of that opinion is no doubt due to my flavor prejudices where I value hoppiness, sourness, and roastiness; predilections no doubt shared by many members of this site (an opinion backed by the majority of beers in the top-100). This beer doesn't really have those flavors, yet here it is.

Appearance is brown, cloudy, and a little on the flat side (little head). Aroma is very malty: my schnoz detected caramel, spice, wine-like notes, and a certain booziness. There was also a sugary sweetness in the smell. Flavor was also caramel-y and spicey (and boozy), but that sugary sweetness in the nose became a butterscotch taste in the mouth. I also got some floral tastes. Well, I'll give it this - it is complex (there's a lot in there to enjoy). Mouthfeel wasn't flat (as I remember it).

I would recommend this beer. SurlySober brought this over to my house for a tasting with Flyer. We had Beatification, Allagash Black, Westvleteren 8 and Westvleteren 12 before this beer, so maybe it was just upstaged and I might have thought it exceptional on any other night.

BeerBelcher, Jan 19, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Vintage 2007 drank 9/11/9. Cork pops off nicely and aromas of dark fruit and yeast fill the air. Pouring brings out some sweet carmalized malt and bannana. Pours brownish-red with a head that dissipates fast to an off white lace around the glass. Flavor is sweet, there is some bannana that hits you up front and a nice caramel and fig finish. A little alcohol burn in the finish but not too bad for a big beer. Mouthfeel is oily with low carbonation. Overall this brew hits you with strong fruit flavors and a shot of alcohol in the finish. This brew had 2 years on it, I think it can go easily 2-4 more years possibly up to 10 years.

mbrasi, Sep 12, 2009
3.64/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Ok this is a well crafted beer. Has a slight kinda sour aspect to it and had a broad flavor profile. I really cant narrow it down, almost slightly sweet. Has very good carbonation and the taste is good. It's very different, then again I just drank an Everett which was Legendary. All in all this is a good beer and worth drinking.

Bottom Line: Well made beer!

themind, May 28, 2013
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at Choice City Butcher in Fort Collins.
A: Copper-brownish with a thin sudsy head featuring many many tight bubbles. Lots of lacing.
S: Fig and dark candied fruits.
T: Light and sweet. A bit of booze that's muted by the sweetness. Subtle fruits.
MF: Moderate carbonation. Pleasant and gentle. Underwhelming. Lacked body.
O: Decent. Given the ABV, I was expecting more intensity or something more pronounced in the flavors.

UpToMeBeer, Jan 08, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

Jaargang 2008 served from a 750ml bottle into chalice.

Poured a medium mahogany color with an insubstantial light tan head, though it did retain some nice lacing. Initially smelled of figs and currants though later I detected a woody scent. Easy to drink with little to no alcohol detected despite the advertised 11% abv. Taste was on the thin side -- not a lot of complexity while in the mouth or after swallowing. Easy on the pallet but harder on the wallet.

WTexas, Feb 24, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours with one finger of light tan foam on top of a dark brown body with good clarity. The head settles slowly and leaves nice lace.

S - Dark, malty notes of brown sugar and caramel with some plum, dark cherry and cola notes.

T - Dark brown sugar up front with lots of malt sweetness. Some spicy notes of coriander, cinnamon, and caramel dipped red apple. Finishes with more brown sugar, clove, and cinnamon.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Dense, sugary malt with lots of yeast character but an excessively sweet finish. Oddly cloying for a beer that I remember being much dryer and more balanced the last time I had it. Not a drain pour but a bit of a disappointment.

nickfl, Apr 26, 2012