Gaffel Kölsch - Privatbrauerei Gaffel Becker & Co.

Gaffel KölschGaffel Kölsch

good

Privatbrauerei Gaffel Becker & Co. visit their website
Germany

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-13-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 689 | Reviews: 332

2.78/5  rDev -24%

Pours a light straw colored body with a large white head. Aroma is mildly sweet with grainy, grassy and a weird faint metallic smell. Flavor is grassy, grains, citrus and very light spice. Light bodied, thin texture. This would have been rated much higher if not for the faint metallic aroma.

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

On Tap @ Kraftworks in Philadelphia in a big ol pint glass, damn str8!

Gaffel Kölsch came to me looking pretty dead, I mean PBR dead. Just a trace of white lines on top of a fairly adjunct looking beer with a gold color to it. Smells included pale malt out the ying yang, grain and I guess a fruiting of some kind that smelled off out the gate. Tastes included everything I just stated above except there was no fruit. No earthy hops can even bring this one around. It really tasted like a souped up american macro to me, I don't see the appeal in this beer. Isn't it supposed to be the pinnacle of the style. Anywho, feel was bland watery and lifeless, thin and dead. Drinkability suffered but I got through my glass because im a trooper. I'll try this again if Im ever in Germany but for now Im going to avoid this in droves.

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%

Had this one on tap at Der Schwarze Kolner in Brooklyn. Unassuming appearance without a lot of aroma. Maybe a bit of an eggy or yeasty smell. Mouthfeel is very, very light--it goes down like nothing at all. The flavor is all in the aftertaste, which I didn't love. It's yeasty and a bit redolent of the keg beers you had in college.

2.84/5  rDev -22.4%

I wasn't really impressed with this beer given some recent examples I've tried.

Pours a sparkling clean light gold with a frothy white head that laces lightly.

Smell is nearly undetectable. Only the faintest of light fruitiness could be detected after several deep nosefuls.

Taste is bordering on macro territory to my palate. Slightly too malty with not enough minerality and brightness to make me appreciate it.

Mouthfeel is slick and slightly creamy with no dryness I would expect.

A dumb but pleasant beer in my opinion.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

I purchased this beer with higher expectations, possibly because it's "imported German beer brewed under the purity law of 1516", which is similar to the location/standard that Weihenstephaner originates from (although the latter is a completely different style).

A - Pale. Little/no head.

S - Can't really pick anything up. Very very bland....

T - Very bland... regular... NOT special, or flavorful. Aftertaste is bready if you wait about 30sec after a nice sip.

M - Smooth. Easy to drink. Nice for summer/spring weather if you just wanna cool down, or drink something other than water.

O - I can't take a complete dump on this beer simple because it's better than macro's, and it doesn't taste BAD like some failed micros. On the other hand, it has lots of room for improvement. It's not very flavorful, nor does it stand out in any way. A positive way to think about it would be in comparing it with plain ol' unsalted butter. It's got no taste, but when combined with something flavorful (like BBQ, steak, etc) it can go well without stealing from the flavorful components of the combination.

I won't be buying this again, simply because I've got too many other excellent options to spend my hard earned money on.

Lovers of bland tastelessness, look no further.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured from 330mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light straw-colored hue with a crystal-clear body. Head is a thick finger of fizzy white foam. Stylistically appropriate, if not particularly inspiring.

Smell: light malt aroma with a bit of sour graininess. Not bad, per se, but I like my Kölsches a bit sweeter/maltier.

Taste: kind of disappointing. Grain up front with a light, sweetish malt at the back end. This tastes much more like a pale lager when compared to other Kölsches I've had (although, being brewed in Cologne, you'd think this would be the real deal). I just feel like there should be more to this beer.

Mouthfeel: this beer has a decent carbonation which adds to its refreshing qualities. Not bad.

Overall: meh. I don't feel the desire to have this beer again; despite its provenance I've had much better Kölsches than Gaffel.

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

limpid, clean golden appearance. White foam, compact, as usual.
Not too fresh smell, and maybe some light off flavours. Stale hop.
Not too fresh in the taste, too.
Average long aftertaste, with some bitterness, but quite stale again.
There is a lot better in Köln.

2.87/5  rDev -21.6%

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

APPEARANCE: This beer, poured from a bottle into a stange, produced lively carbonation and a fizzy white 1" head with thin head lacing and very little retention. The body was a clear yellow.

AROMA: A moderate amount of roasted grain and a very light lemon scent along with a significant whiff of apple, probably from the Kölsch yeast.

TASTE: Pretty much the same -- a high taste of burnt grain together with a light hops taste and a modest tang of apple from the Kölsch yeast.

MOUTHFEEL: Body was on the light side with thin texture and lively carbonation. Thin body lacing was present that dissipated quickly. The initial flavor was lightly bitter with a lightly sweet finish that held for a short time.

DRINKABILITY: This would make an okay session lager, I suppose, but it's not as good as Reissdorf Kölsch. The apple flavor of the yeast only shows up on the finish and the hops just arent very crisp. Overall, kind of disappointing -- there's nothing particularly memorable about it, though it is easy to drink. Would I buy it again? Probably not. There are other, better alternatives out there for about the same price.

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Probably this is just not my style. I honestly don't think it's better than any other mild lagers out there. Even a little bit skunky, which I really did not expect.

2.96/5  rDev -19.1%

Bought at a local whole foods

A- The appearanc eof this beer is slightly darker than a coors or bud but still lighter than an IPA

S- The smell is very thin, almost has a wine note to it.

T- again i am reminded of a white wine crisp and not terrbbly complex kind of a more savory heineken

M- The mouthfeel on this is a bit thin to my taste almost no lacing on the glass as opposed to a stout or IPA

D- Now where this beer shines is its drinkability, i could pound these down, if im ever in germany and dont know what to order (one of everything) then i believe tis would be a safe bet and id definatley be interested to tr it on tap.

I often wonder about the reviews foreign beers get, i love some belgian beers but i just dont see much going on in this beer, it kind of seems like a german coors but it has a B average here. I am attracted to beer because it can have big rich palates, it can be big and bold with hops or malts or chocolate ETC so this beer dint really do anything for me.

2.97/5  rDev -18.9%

33cl brown bottle, best before mid June 2008, drank on a wet and cold, windy Jan evening in Shropshire.

Poured into a Frankenheim Alt glass, just to annoy it (I don't own any Kolsch glasses). I think I have trouble finding the subtle differences and good points of Kolsch beers. I do however try and be objective in my reviews.

Very light golden yellow with a bubbley head, which soon fades away to leave nowt. The sort of colour a weak pilsner can give, but without the white head that often stays a while.

A straw, newly cut grass mix of smells, some yeast too, but you have to hunt for any aroma.

Dry and boring with a hint of cooking apples just to throw your tastebuds.

The dryness hangs around, but it isn't a plesaent mouthfeel. Watery and yet a metalic feel lingers to make you think it has some body, which it clearly hasn't, not even a nasty one.

This is a throwing beer, get it down as quickly as possible and get something else. I have drank it on tap in Berlin and it was better than the bottle I've just had. This is not a great Kolsch, I have in fact failed to find one that is yet.

2.97/5  rDev -18.9%

A-pours transparent yellow with a white head that dies quickly
S- zesty lemon with a grassy/yeasty smell
T-more of the grassy flavor. A touch of the lemon but not much. bitterness in the after taste. but not a hoppy/pleasant bitterness, just bland and bitter
M-light bodied, definitely a session beer
O- Not great. Reminds me of a macro brew. A kolsch shouldn't be loaded with flavor but I still feel like this one is falling short.

2.98/5  rDev -18.6%

I had this on-tap a year ago while spending a month in Koln. This review is based on a US-market bottle, with a USA flag on the cap. Much less impressive. The Koln-bottled version was great, maybe better than the on-tap that we had at the GaffelHaus. But this export version isn't nearly as impressive.

A= lighter yellow and only a distant cousin to the Gaffel Kölsch I had in Koln. Hardly any head, but what's there for a short time has huge bubbles.

S= reminds me more of some cheap cologne than Kölsch from Koln.

T= somewhat weak, predominantly a tinny metallic taste with some corn evidence. This USA version falls short of even the made-in-USA Kölsch imitations recently surfacing on the market.

M= watery, metallic.

D= too boring to keep my interest; very disappointing.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Gaffel Kölsch from Privatbrauerei Gaffel Becker & Co.