Wild Oats Series No. 27 - ...And Boom Gose The Dynamite - Beau's All Natural Brewing Company

Wild Oats Series No. 27 - ...And Boom Gose The DynamiteWild Oats Series No. 27 - ...And Boom Gose The Dynamite

Beau's All Natural Brewing Company visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Gose |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: bryehn on 10-02-2012

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great beer. Light, refreshing, well balanced. A lot less sour thirteen alot of Gose I've had in the past!
Great offering from Beau's all natural and organic.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

Bottle: Poured a pale yellow color gose with a large foamy pure white head with good retention. Aroma of light tart notes with light wheat malt is more bland than I was expected. Taste is alight mix of tart notes, light lemon and some wheat malt. Body is light with good carbonation. Not bad but lack a bit of complexity.

2.29/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

I visited Goslar, Germany on a business trip in November 2012. I was thoroughly enjoying the beer every evening, generally going for dark wheat beers. Then one night at a small restaurant (micro brewery), my colleagues said "try this gose -it's special". The tartness immediately caused my mouth to water, much like grapefruit, then the saltiness and finish with coriander. It was epic, partly because I was not prepared for it.

This was a pivotal moment in my beer tasting life. I was so blown away like nothing I had experienced before (or since). I determined to find some back home in Canada.
That's when I learned that the restaurant I was in was one of only 3 in all of Germany (and consequently the WORLD) making authentic gose. One nearby brewery making their own version was Beau's, about 1 hour away. It was worth the trip and I discovered a lovely brewery but they informed me that the gose was sold out and only made periodically.

You can understand how excited I was to see it back this fall and my expectation was insanely high.

I'm sad to say I was totally disappointed. This is an ok beer but nothing like the real gose I had 3 years ago.

There is a faint saltiness but tartness is not there, some citrus but no coriander that I can detect and overall not in the same ballpark.

It's enjoyable in its own right, but if only I had not been exposed to the real thing! I wish gose was more well known so that I could get it here. I found only one other, from a little known brand that tasted like they just added vinegar to it.

Anyway, there's my review. All my friends who like beer have had to endure my raving about that time in Goslar. I really hope someone near me will produce a close imitation some day. Friggin hen's teeth...

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

600 mL bottle from the LCBO; one of several German-style beers in this year's Beau's Oktoberfest mixed pack. Bottled Aug 17 2015 and served well-chilled.

Pours foggy golden-yellow in hue, generating just over one finger of smooth, creamy-looking head. It displays a respectable level of retention, hanging on for roughly five minutes before it is ultimately reduced to a wide, foamy collar and bubbly, frothy cap. A gorgeous curtain of lacing is also deposited. The aroma is fairly subdued, with nothing immediately leaping out at me - there's some lemony citrus, wheaty malt sweetness and apple skin, with just a touch of subtle coriander spiciness.

Not what I would describe as intensely-flavoured. The flavour profile leads off with some grainy, wheaty malt sweetness, which serves as a constant background presence throughout the sip. Lightly fruity; green apple precedes a mild hit of lemony, pithy citrus goodness. Ends with a touch of coriander spice, and an even-lighter touch of sea salt; they both briefly hang on into the aftertaste, but nothing really lingers. Light in body, with assertive carbonation levels that actively carpet the tongue with a barrage of prickly bubbles. Feels crisp in the mouth, and is generally pretty refreshing. The bottom of the bottle was the tastiest part.

Final Grade: 3.46, a B-. I'm not going to pretend that I'm some sort of expert in the field of goses - I mean, I haven't had very many in the past. But the main thing that strikes me as odd about ...And Boom Gose the Dynamite is how dissimilar it is to the other goses that I've tried. The saltiness seems like an afterthought, and the sourness is so restrained that I could have easily mistaken this beer for another style entirely. Taken at face value as 'just a beer', this isn't terrible or offensive in any way whatsoever - but as a gose it simply does not inspire very much confidence at all. Not that great, and not really worth the price tag; kind of a disappointing way to celebrate 1100 ticks.

3.06/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Hazed golden blonde, 2 fingers of white head, good lace. Smell is spicy and fruity, malty and slightly yeasty, orange and green apple, a very slight salinity comes through after about 15 minutes but this is more inline with a belgian table beer/grisette than any Gose I have had. Taste is fruity and spicy, coriander is easily detectable while the salt is nearly indistinguishable at all, reasonably dry, light in terms of any aftertaste. Medium-high carbonation, light body. As a Gose this is way off style and not very good, the product itself is OK and rather inoffensive and drinkable. They should have made up a style like they usually do for this beer because nobody would catch on to how off style this is that way.

3.81/5  rDev +5.8%

Got this beer in the 2015 beaus oktoberfest pack. Came in a 600 ml bottle with an interesting label. Bare in mind this is my first Gose.

Appearance - Pours a Hazy gold color with a massive head that dies down fairly quickly. looks decently carbonated

Aroma - I'm getting some wheat some malted grains maybe a hint of green apple grape and lemon but i dont smell any spice.

Taste - At first it was grassy but as it warmed up you get a wheat zest, followed by some fleshy fruit like apple. grains then some lemon. spicyness throughout but not overwhelming. light bitterness.

Mouth feel - Very smooth and easy drinking, light body with a decent amount of prickly carbonation.

Overall - I think this would be a great beer to kick back on the balcony with in the summer, its easy drinking refreshing and has more flavor than a macro. With that said the biggest downfall is the price. The pack was 24$ and came with 4 bottles making this bottle cost 6$. for that price I can get 2 of something better. Because of that its definitely good I tried it but I wont buy it again.

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Boom Gose the Dynamite is part 2 of the 4 pack of the seasonal Oktoberfest offerings from Beaus just out for this fall.

Pours a towering head of bleach white head that slowly fades down to a rocky mountainous head with plenty of lacing clinging to the glass on the way down - impressive. Slightly cloudy pale golden yellow colour.

light grainy malt character. Some green apple, white grape and grassy notes, a bit of lemon - mild tartness on the nose.

Like the nose, the flavours are pretty simple. A bit of apply juice sweetness up front then the green grassy and semi-tart and herby flavours and bitterness. Light body and low viscosity, bright carbonation.

Overall this has more of summer beer character given the mild flavours and mild juicy herby tart taste. Easy drinking but not terribly interesting.

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appears as if this beer has been brought back for Oktoberfest 2015. Purchased as part of a mixed pack, cost was $6 CDN for a 600 ml bottle. Served cold into a Guinness shaker pint. Packaged August 26, 2015

Appearance - pale and very hazy golden hued beer. Bright white and extremely rocky finger and a half of head. Decent head retention, some sticky white lacing and a plethora of lively bubbles.

Smell - not a huge nose when cold, some fruity notes of pear and grape with a hint of lemon, and an underlying tartness even in the aroma. Not much improvement as it warms.

Taste - There's not a heck of a lot here. Mild bitterness and a tiny smidgen of tartness, some hints of lemon and herbs, but lacking the tartness of many a gose. Not bad by any means, just not terribly flavourful. Wheat flavours come out after a few sips and once it warms some.

Mouthfeel - smooth with good carbonation and a light body. Dryish finish.

Overall - nothing inherently wrong with this, but lacking flavor, even as far as a subtle and lighter beer goes. Glad I tried Boom Gose the Dynamite, but the value isn't good, and a bit disappointed with this as part of the mixed pack.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: It has a nice semi-cloudy golden/yellow color to it. It has a nice white head that dies down somewhat and leaves little lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of lemon, coriander, grassy hops and wheat malts.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a some lemon, coriander, some grassy notes, wheat malts and a fairly big saltiness upfront.

Mouthfeel: It has a med/high carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle acquired in their Oktoberfest mixed 6 pack. Poured into a Beau's Oktoberfest ceramic mug.

Pours a lighting yellow and seems clear on the pour (it did go into a ceramic mug) with a light fluffy white head that drops and leaves minimal lacing. Aroma has some lemon grass and light bready malt. Body has a tartness that seems tied to acidity along with fresh lemon flavours and a distinct bready nature. Quite an interesting and nice beer. Mouthfeel is detracted by the building tartness, though carbonation is in the lower to midrange of what I am used to. A style I am not familiar with, but I would definitely drink this beer again.

3.99/5  rDev +10.8%

Bottle form the brewery, 600ml into a tulip. Wild Oats Series #27.

Translucent orange-yellow, light white head and a bit of retention. Almost no lacing. Nose has some lemon-lime zest, light spice, modest saltiness. Very refreshing and inviting. Taste has light salt, lemon grass, lemon-lime zest. Light mouthfeel, residual saltiness and a bit of bite to the carbonation. Refreshing, and I would've consumed this in large quantities if I had run into it in the summer.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Private buying group bottle. One of the better ones from the brewery. A little more balanced than the style I have had before, but nicely refreshing. Very yellow with some lace. Sea salty aroma. Lemony taste. Lemon verbena herbal. Decent drinkability, but a lot of salt for one bomber.

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Beer is a hazy. straw-gold colour. Very small white head fades quickly.

Not a strong aroma. Wheat, light fruit, salt.

Taste-wise, salt is quite noticeable. Not a style that I have much experience with, so I don't know whether it is more so than usual, but pretty obvious that it is there. Lemon as well, with perhaps a bit of lactose. Some other fruit flavours. Crisp wheat, some coriander.

Light bodied, strongly carbonated. A bit irritating. Salt is unusual for sure.

Overall, perhaps not a style of beer I have a great appreciation for, but I found this to be decent but not great. Interesting but the salt was too much for me.

4.06/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a very pale, and slightly hazy, gold. Fizzy white head, about two fingers, settles over five minutes to a generous ring. Very spotty lacings.

A wonderful aroma. Just loads of fresh cilantro stalks over light fruits. Tempting wheat malt behind.

Saltiness is right up front with the coriander, getting things off to a bang. Lemon candies throughout. Bit of barny wheat in the finish. Mouth watering.

Loved it. Gose strikes me as a style that would have pretty wide appeal, wish Beau's made this one a regular.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

Wild Oats series #27. From notes taken 09/30/12 at Beau's Oktoberfest.

Poured a hazy, golden-orange colour with a small white ring of head. Lots (lots!) of visible carbonation.

Smelled of citrus rind, wheat and coriander. Mild banana smell as well

Very interesting taste. It was sweet, sour, grainy and salty with hints of citrus and spice. Finish had a mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel was fairly thin, with a lively wheat character on the tongue. Very easygoing with the salty tone prevalent in the aftertaste.

Very interesting little ale that could have used a stronger sour bite to match the salty character.

Wild Oats Series No. 27 - ...And Boom Gose The Dynamite from Beau's All Natural Brewing Company