Lager - Upper Canada Brewing Company

LagerLager

Upper Canada Brewing Company visit their website
Ontario, Canada

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

The most popular of Upper Canada brews, this German style lager combines imported hops and yeast, spring water and malted barley for an exceptionally balanced, honey coloured lager.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-17-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lager Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A little darker than a macrobrew lager. Not much head, in fact it dissolved very quickly. A horrible burnt rubber smell greeted my nose almost immediately. This was verified by a beer drinking associate who said "ew". The beer tasted better than it smelled. I guess it would have to. Richer and maltier than a macrobrew lager. A little sweet for my taste but better than your average lager in my opinion. A little less fizz would improve the drinking experience.

shamus, Mar 05, 2006

12 0z brown longneck, I did not see any freshnes dating.

The beer pours bright gold with minimal head and lacing. Kind of your average looking beer here.

The aroma was grainy and fresh. No off aromas.

The taste is a bit sweet initially. It is mild with very slight bitterness late. Not bad, but not great.

The beer had very good carbonation, which canceled out the bit of thinness I detected. Easy enough drinker, but ultimately uninteresting.

Redrover, Mar 02, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +5.3%

I was thinking the other day that in my rush to discover all that beer has to offer, I've been somewhat ignoring the 'lager' category - understandable, I guess, after my less-than-pleasant first beer experiences with Coors Light and Canadian. But, to broaden horizons, I grabbed a case of Upper Canada Lager (in part because I was a fan of their Maple Brown Ale) and sat down to try it.

The fact that Upper Canada Brewing Co. is owned by Sleeman should not necessarily be a knock against them (after all, if I have to drink any macro, I'd take a Sleeman over any other brand, without a doubt). So I went in with an open mind, trying to ignore what my experiences with Coors and its ilk had made me feel about lager.

The beer pours out a clear golden straw, with approximately a finger of head that dissapears within seconds, and virtually no lacing whatsoever. Not a particularly good start.

Smell is grainy, with hops and malts - if I didnt' know that this was an all-malt lager, I'd swear I could smell the adjunct - and a ever so slight cabbage odour. Bold, perhaps, but not particularly impressive, either.

Taste is actually quite surprising. Not particularly distinct or overly flavourful, but definitely not as bad as the odour and appearance would indicate. Initially ever-so-slightly malty, but a very strong hop presence in the middle and finish, with a slightly bready aftertaste. Can't say that this is my favourite, but is rather pleasant, especially as a shift from the overt maltiness of some of the beers I generally drink more often.

Mouthfeel is also quite good. Carbonation levels are exponentially better than the typical Canadian macro lager (though still slightly high). This brew is very refreshing on the mouth and palate. I could see myself having a few of these guys on the front porch with my roommates this summer, shooting the breeze and kicking back with a few brews - in other words, very drinkable.

There's nothing that makes Upper Canada Lager particularly special, aside, I suppose, from the good times that it might be a catalyst in. It doesn't really change my general hesitance towards American lagers, but it's still a good brew, and I can't knock it for that.

headlessparrot, Jan 22, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a clear gold with a modest head and no lacing. The aroma is of herbal hops, green grass and multi grain crackers. The taste is well balanced with a tightly structured maltiness mingling with noble hop flavors. The mouthfeel is somewhat watery and prickly with carbonation. The finish is bitter and shortlived.

This is a nice lager. Its no King Pilsner, but it has a lot more balance than most Canadian lagers, also more flavor in general.

CAMRAhardliner, Dec 31, 2005
3.43/5  rDev +0.3%

Completely clear lighter gold color, flat white head to start but only about 50 seconds of staying power. Practically no lace in a pint glass. Grassy aroma, distinct sweetened citron qualities. Light mouthfeel, carbonation is medium but not excessive. Sweet start, very lightly maple malt flavors but with OK impact and a bright finish to the beer, almost kicks up with a Sweet Tart candy impression. Not a ton of things going on here, but its not at all offensive with an off aftertaste or with a lot of gassiness in the swallow. Its pretty drinkable Lager in my book.

ADR, Oct 11, 2005
2.4/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a strong yellow color lager with a medium head with OK retention. Aroma is quite bland with some malt and very little hops. Taste is refreshing and quite crisp and I would say has more flavour then your usual macro lager. I guess this as improve since the last couple of year I had it before but it is still not great.

Phyl21ca, Jul 25, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Nice bright gold color, slight head after a conservative pour. Smell is grainy and malty, with a doughiness about it. Flavor is a pretty bold lager, although just a set up from a standard macro. Grassy and grainy, not bad for $7.99 a 12'er. Solid mouthfeel, well carbonated, sessionable. Above average.

TastyTaste, Jun 04, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -7%

Have I been taking crazy pills? This lager had an altogether different label and certainly a different profile than any I see reviewed on here. Maybe they have dumbed this thing down for the Cincinnati market. The color was nice and the head tried but was quickly gone with little or no lacing. The smell was ever so slightly sweet and grainy as well as the the flavor with a malty and breadlike quality. It was well-balanced as long as you aren't expecting any hops. But I swear they are using rice in this thing. In a blind taste test with Busch I'd have a hard time picking this one out. Of course it is Summer and this is a good thirst quencher. The price is certainly right. Quaff away if you must.

Puddleglum, Jun 01, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

The beer pours a chill hazed pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry, yet malty scent that boasts of lager malts and not much else. It is slightly sweet and breadlike. The taste is good. It has a smooth, malty flavor that is sweet with pale/lager malts and a slightly dry, breadlike finish. It is well balanced and highly drinkable. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a very enjoyable lager. It is full of malt flavor and a clean finish; a good drinker.

WesWes, May 31, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

Slight chill haze in this, otherwise a very nice looking beer. a quickly settling head that leaves lacing. Light orange color. Aroma is of crystal malt. Odd, not hops, but malt up front in the nose. A slight mineral taste to it, like hard water minerals. Mouthfeel is full, adequately carbonated. Not bad, one of the better American Lagers I've had.

deejaydan, Apr 27, 2005
2.78/5  rDev -18.7%

I had a pint of this at dinner tonight, it looked ok when it came - a light amber color and small head. The smell was a little pungent, and quite strong. At first taste it was ok but as I went through the glass it got worse and worse. Had a strange chemical quality to it that was the most distinct flavour. It was a light bodied beer that was at least pretty drinkable.

SaunaKing, Jan 28, 2005
3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

I was really surprised by the quality of this beer. It really reminds me of high life with its cheap prices and solid lager taste. There's definitely a good amount of adjuncts in here but there's also a lot of sweet malt flavor. Nice medium body with a sweet biscuit flavor. Grainy flavor mixes in with the sweetness. Finish is a little nonexistent but leaves me with a sweet flavor. Definitely a good choice when the money is low.

granger10, Dec 04, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +0.9%

I've always liked the Upper Canada line and, although this isn't one of their better ones, it certainly isn't bad.

It pours a light yellow with a surprisingly large, but quickly vanishing head. It's got a slightly floral boquet and tastes a bit hoppy, and slightly bitter.

Upper Canada Lager is an excellent beer for a hot summer day.

chunkylover53, Nov 29, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +12.6%

I truly enjoyed this Canadian Lager. This beer is well done. The first yellow straw-colored beer that I have spoken highly of in quite some time. The nose is okay with hints of biscuity malt. The head thins quickly but leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Mouthfeel is quite good. I am impressed at the overall complexity of this lager. Nice malt profile, with fruity hints. Hops are very subdued, but fit the style well.

And you can't beat $13 for a case (or should I say two-four).

Maestro, Nov 03, 2004
3.58/5  rDev +4.7%

Strikes me as a quintessential example of a Canadian lager. Substantial body and no fear of malt - could pass for an ale when held up to a U.S. big-brewer lager. Hopping has a lightly fruity aspect and, as in some other Canadian beers, I get a faint but distinct grape soda note (I seem to be the only one who does). Very solidly made, and drinkable.

Brent, Sep 03, 2004
3.4/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear, straw yellow topped by a thin lace of white foam. Noble hop aroma with a bit of malt sweetness present. Malt carries over into the flavour, providing some sweetness. Noticeable hop flavour to start followed by light bitterness at the finish. Moderately dry at the end. High carbonation and smooth texture adds to the initial perception of body, but this thins out towards the end.

DrJay, Aug 29, 2004
3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

pours out a pure golden colour with a slight bit of head. wisps of lace are left as i sip this canadian lager....nice malty aroma with a bit of adjunct mixed in. tastes pretty good...a bit of maltiness and a course graininess make most of the flavour profile...with a grassy bitter hoppiness that just shows itself enough to be noticed. this is a relatively full bodied lager...smooth and unassuming but yet filling and satisfying. the distinction lies in the mouthfeel, where it comes off as full and rounded. a nice simple lager. filling, nice tasting and full bodied. nothing spectacular, but rather nice. very nice after a hards day work and an accompianment to a meal.

budgood1, Aug 18, 2004
3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Reviewing as an Amaerican Macro Lager. Pours a nice golden straw color with a medium head. Ok lace.
Smells of sweet malt. Nice malty taste, not much rice or corn flavors here. Finishes dry and is very drinkable. I suppose that if I had to pick a beer to always keep on hand that everyone could enjoy, this would be in the running. Not a great beer but decent enough to keep both the BA people and the AB people happy. Pick up a twelve if you get a chance.

sabrills70, Aug 16, 2004
3.23/5  rDev -5.6%

Decent lager, malt and bit of yeast taste. Malty sweet. Yellow straw color, lots of head initially that look like soapsuds and then dissapear. A toast crisp dry aftertatste. Inexpensive. Good Sleeman allowed this label to continue with above average runs.

Sammy, May 30, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: This beer looked really good. It was a light straw golden color with a large white head that faded fairly quickly. The head left a beautiful lace on the glass.

Smell: The smell is pretty sweet with a small amount of hop character. There is a corn sweetness that is present.

Taste: The taste is pretty good. It starts pretty sweet but is balanced with some decent hop character. It is pretty light but fairly flavorful.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very good. Not too much carbonation and it finishes pretty dry.

Overall a pretty decent beer.

Ellbert, May 26, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Brewed in Guelph... imported by Sleeman USA... uh oh. No love lost for the band of hosers who just bought Unibroue...but here's an objective review.

Obtained at Consumer's Beverage; the clerk asked if I had tried it. When I told him I hadn't, but it has good reviews, he said "oh, everyone else is complaining about it". As Consumer's customers are, on a whole, macro-swilling barbarians who hate hops and malts, and prefer thin corn and water, I was optimistic.

Pours standard lager gold, with a fizzy but believable head. Smell is sweet, generic fruit and a bit of malt.

Taste: Ahh, here's why the macro-heathens are restless, eh? There's malt. There may be a thin amount of corn, but a light, toasty malt is present and accounted for. There are hops. No one will mistake this for something from the Pacific Northwest, but a drying, bittering finish happens. Slightly husky, with something that reminds me of the finish of a hefe.

Nothing special, but this is one of the better cheap beers, up there with Stroh's, PBR, and Genny Cream. Unfortunately this won't stay in the area for long, I'm guessing. Too flavorful for the Coors Light crowd, but not serious enough for the geek.

shirfan, May 17, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +3.8%

As far as North American lagers are concerned, this is one of the better ones. The roma is well represented by malts and a light graininess. The taste, slightly rfuity with a nice semi bitter finish. This is a good beer that is much better than many of the Canadian Macros. At $6.99, it's cheaper too. A good lager. Buy a couple cases of this for your family reunion of BBQ.

CBFanWish, Mar 29, 2004
2.55/5  rDev -25.4%

Got this at Massey Hall after seeing the Trans-Syberian Orchestra. Came a dark gold, autumn leaf colour with a sliver of a head. But the bartender poured it improperly. With the glass being a small size, I doubt she could have poured a decent head on it without it overflowing. Barley grain smell. A little sweet, a little weak. Kinda bland tasting. Sweet, chewy malt, odd aftertaste. It wasn't bitter, it was sour(?). Sour is the best word I could use to describe, and that isn't very close. Thin mouthfeel. The chewy malt adds a little texture to the brew. OVerall, it's okay. I've had better, I've also had worse. But next time I'm at Massey Hall, I'll order a Guinness, or maybe a Beck's if I haven't had it already.

slitherySOB, Dec 17, 2003
3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

--regular brown bottle, no freshness date found
--poured a nice dark gold in color. Started with a nice head that slimmed but stayed. Average to below average lacing.
--Slight sweet smell, average.

I liked this beer. I expecting an average offering similar to other large comany lagers. This was crisp, and I felt there was less carbonation. I would drink this one again adn I wish it were available Western Canada.
Thx

canadianbarman, Dec 12, 2003

An amazing brew. Tried it for it's value price and found a great beer. Darker gold color with a short lived head. Medium strength carbonation with a wonderful complex flavor of hops barley and corn. Somewhat similar to PBR, but Upper Canada has an after taste that PBT can't compare with. Usually i don't care for beers to have much of an after taste, but with this brew it's all good. I would recommend this beer to anyone who can get their hand on it. Give it a try, and i think you'll really enjoy it!

Frozensoul327, Nov 08, 2003