McClintock's Scotch Ale - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

pDev: 0%
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 12-22-2003)
3.68/5  rDev 0%

Served on tap at the Boston Location in the Theater District in a snifter, filled all the way to the top.

The body was dark brown/black with a slight hint of red in the right light. A decent sized foamy tan head rose all the way up to the snifters opening.

The nose was very soft in the bar atmosphere. Mostly darker malt smell and a slight hint of raisins.

This beer was surprisingly smooth for being so strong. Very malty with almost no hop flavor. Soft caramel, molasses, some brown sugar and some soft dark malts. The high alcohol content comes through more than expected with an almost Belgian type raisin or date fruitiness. The bitterness was perfectly balanced to the point where I almost didn't notice it. Very very very faintly in the background I could discern a slight touch of peat moss.

Overall I was surprised and impressed by this beer. I usually don't like Rock Bottom's beers, but this I really enjoyed. I like my Scotch Ale's to be smoky and this has no smoke what so ever, but the high alcohol which added a nice flavor touch and rich malt make this a beer I'd come back for time and time again.

taez555, Dec 22, 2003
McClintock's Scotch Ale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.