Clare's Hungry Ale - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Awaiting 10 Reviews

pDev: n/a
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

American Barleywine |  ABV ?

Beer added by: silenius on 03-06-2004

"Blend of Imperial Stout and Imperial Red Ale aged for one year in bourbon barrels."
Reviews by silenius:
4.34/5  rDev n/a

I had this at the Chicago Real Ale Fest with Jackndan.

This beer is a blend of barley wine and imperial stout. Two of my favorite styles that worked incredibly well together in this blend. The beer was aged for two years in bourbon barrels and the bourbon smell and flavor was very apparent.

The color is not quite opaue and some light does manage to peek its way around the edges of this beer. It looks like a dark porter more than a stout.

On taking a whiff of this apparently rare brew, I got bourbon and dark chocolate, which actually smells really nice together.

The taste is just like the smell, but with a port-like characteristic added, a little sweet nutty component.

The only "problem" with this beer (if it can be called a problem) is that I would only want one at a sitting. This is a beer to be savored and enjoyed over the long haul. I would not want to have more than one, and I would probably only drink it after I was done with everything else.

I hope Rock Bottom continues to occasionally serve this beer in Chicago.

Clare's Hungry Ale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.