Terminal Imperial Stout - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: granger10 on 11-25-2004)

dlello2, Dec 27, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Talk about class. Nothing like your stout in style. I thouoght i was overmatched at first. I took a whif and found a strong mix of hops coming off. The stout sits well in the mouth and goes down very easy. It has a high ABV of 9%, but it doesn't go down like it does. It has a very dark tone to it and a small light head. An enjoyable beer before your meal.

Black7Blue, Nov 29, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Yep, that's a big stout! Big on malts, big on hops. Looks jet black with the same timid retention and lacing that I have experienced with other Rock Bottom brews. Aromas of citrus and bitter hops emit from the glass even before the espresso, chocolate, and malt aromas do. Tastes very roasty with coffee, cocoa, and roasted malts. Big grassy hop flavor and bitter compete with the roastiness for attention. All the while, a sweet malt base keeps the boldness from getting out of hand. Feels heavy and rich on the palate with a long coffee, hop aftertaste. Bolder than I expect from Rock Bottom.

BEERchitect, Aug 07, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

on tap at the brewpub in Chicago. pours opaque black with a rich and dark brown head. decent retention. aroma is of rich balck malt with earthy undertones and a wooden base, reminiscent of bourbon. very rich in the nose. taste is thick and heavy with notes of black malt, bourbon, earthy undertones and a wildly rich profile, yet somewhat subtle on the palate. mouthfeel is very thick and full bodied with a sweet character. drinkability is decent. this is a huge brew with much complexity and a solid profile. this is a sipping brew of great complexity. cheers!

botham, Nov 01, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +11%

Review from notes:
Ok, this was simply a beautifully made big American stout. I guess they rotate the Terminal Stout as it is an irish during the spring and fall and an oatmeal during the summer. For some reason I thought that I got the Irish stout and at first sip I was amazed at how good this stout was. But I still thought it was an Irish stout. I couldn't believe the strength of flavors. Lots of chocolate and roasted barley. Shots of espresso leaves me in the finish. Alcohol is barely noticeable. Then I notice on the board that this is their Imperial Stout, oh, that makes sense since I love the imp stouts. But this was better than most. It didn't have the vinous notes of most Russian Imp Stouts or alcohol perception so I'm calling it an American Double Stout. I had this beer two nights in a row and felt like I could drink many, many of these. Really, a great beer from Rock Bottom in Chi-town!

granger10, Nov 25, 2004
Terminal Imperial Stout from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.