Subzero Barrel-Aged Barleywine - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

American Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: granger10 on 11-25-2004)
Reviews by granger10:
4.72/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes:
Damn another amazing Rock Bottom (Chicago) beer on tap. This beer was served a bit too cold so I ordered a Chicago Gold, another great beer from there, and waited for it to warm a bit. I'm glad I did as it improved immensely the closer it got to room temperature. This beer had incredible balance with some medium sweet fruit flavors like apples and pears along with a sharp, biting hoppiness. Alcohol is noticeable but simply gives it more flavor. There's an earthiness in the middle along with a slight smokiness. These flavors all mesh together really well. Finish is dry but leaves me wanting more. One of the best American style Barleywines I have had to date but I have many more to go this winter. We'll see how it stands....but seriously a must try in you're in Chicago and visit Rock Bottom.

granger10, Nov 25, 2004
1.3/5  rDev -66.4%

Absolute rubbish. If I wanted to drink maple syrup I would have auditioned to be in “Super Troopers.” Completely flat. Nose is nothing but maple syrup. Taste is sap and molasses. Disgustingly sweet. I can see why some people like this beer. It’s huge! It’s massive. It’s very unique but I am not a bourbon fan nor do I like beers that taste and feel like they’ve had molasses or sugar maple sap dumped into them. Sugar yes, sap no. This beer is just not for me at all. The Bourbon Imperial was great but this one is just nasty.

DaPeculierDane, Nov 22, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

(Served in a snifter)
Menu says past FOBAB (Festival of Barrel Aged Beers) Winner
A-This beer has a caramel colored body to dense to see any glow through and a thin ring of light tan is supported by a few bubbles of carbonation gliding up the sides of the glass.

S- This beer has a big woody young bourbon aroma with some softer butterscotch notes to it.

T- This beer has a big bourbon flavor with a sweet sugary malt note and a bright caramel malt flavor with some darker caramel notes. There is a slight fusel finish with some piney hops coming though as the beer warms.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with an alcohol finish that increases as the beer warms.

D-This is a big woody boozy beer that makes me urn for winter. At least until I finish a glass then I'm ready for summer again. It would be nice to taste a bit more malt but I'm not complaining.

rhoadsrage, Sep 25, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

First thing I get is a great big maply taste. Then I paid attention to the look: a sort of thin dishwasher soap head that sticks around, unusual for a barleywine. Color is a deep sensuous brown. My best description of the taste would be "mellow as hell." I also catch a sort of IPA hop nose here, not big, but just enough to make you pucker and to keep the maltiness from overwhelming. Next I find a touch of honey creme, light oakiness, and barley wine flavor so strong you can just pick out the bourbon. Walking out the door, my lips are still just a little puckered.

DrunkMcDermott, Jul 20, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

"Bourbon Barrel Barleywine" listed at the pub, i'm guessing this is it (12% abv matches up). Unfortunately it was served in a plastic cup to enjoy in the rooftop biergarten.

Creamy caramel hued foam, super retention. Nearly opaque tawny orange brown body when swirled.

Sweet toffee, vanilla, and spicy bourbon notes in the nose. Well blended and worth sniffing with each sip.

More vanilla, caramel toffee, and dry woody notes in the first sips. Some aftertaste of dried apricots and drying alcohol. Velvety feel, good level of carbonation, it doesn't distract. This is huge and packed with bourbon flavor. One is plenty, the alcohol is tangible, so go slow.

emerge077, Sep 20, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Draught. Recovered notes while cleaning out some drawers! Don't really even need notes though, as I have a vivid memory of the beer. Such a bad ass brew. Brown color. Complex nose, very vibrant, with notes of the original beer and the barrel in an integrated way. Flavor is bold, very sweet, massively flavorful and complex. Notes of toffee, caramel, bourbon, toast, chocolate, vanilla and wood. Classic offering from a great brewery and one of the pioneers of barrel aging.

Crosling, Jul 30, 2008
Subzero Barrel-Aged Barleywine from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.