Stand Up Ale - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.56% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 08-18-2005

3.4/5  rDev n/a

This was one of the Brewmasters selections during my trip to the brewery; it was decent in flavor, but the house pale was honestly more flavorful and interesting than this brew (I thought the house was pretty surprising in fact). Not a bad brew, but quite boring. Weak hops and citrus flavors with a little bit of head and a yellow appearance. (343 characters)

3.79/5  rDev n/a

It didn't make me stand up, but my taste buds sure did stand up on end.

It poured more than a finger of lovely white foam and had a light caramel color that mistified me.

The aroma was, well, almost non existant. The taste made up for it. A healthy dose of hops with wheat and citrus flavors punctuation the crispness. A fairly bold body worth the venture to the slightly overpriced Rock. (390 characters)

3.88/5  rDev n/a

Lightly foggy tawny, like lemon sun tea. The barely lemon-tinted, off-white cap was small to start and fell fairly quickly to a razor thin film that lasted nearly the life of the pint. Lace was present in thin, undulating rings that accurately indicated the level of the beer after each mouthful.

The nose was well-balanced with both pale malt and citric hops in evidence. I could tell by the aroma that this was going to be good beer. Still though, more power would have been nice. I quickly moved along to the one characteristic that really matters...

... and was pleased with what I tasted. Like the nose, there was a good malt-hop mix with plenty of each. Stand Up had a firm caramel malt backbone that was surprising in an extra pale ale (as denoted by the chalkboard inside the entrance). Surprising, yet welcome. I'm forever going on about balance being overrated, more hops make better beer, etc, but this was one case in which the end result was just right.

The malt backbone was sweet and somewhat toffee-like. Surfing along on top was a bright Cascade hoppiness that had a portion of its citrusy zestiness held in check by the barley. As a result, it tasted like English hops (herbal, earthy) might have been in use. I still would have guessed American over British, but Cascade wouldn't have been first on my list.

Sweet and bitter balanced one another effectively on the finish. In fact, sweetness may have lingered longest; yet more evidence that malt was given at least as much of the spotlight as hops. The medium mouthfeel was lightly chewy and slightly sticky.

Stand Up Ale is a stand up kind of beer. It's a maltier than usual APA that (surprisingly, given my love for hops) I found to be delicious. It was just what I needed today. I feel like a broken record sometimes (do records even exist anymore?), but a thirsty beer lover will find no better brewpub in Des Moines than Rock Bottom. (1,923 characters)

Stand Up Ale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.