Dark Cherry Ale - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Dark Cherry Ale
No picture uploaded.

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 08-23-2005)
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

I have not had a good history with fruit beers. This, on the other hand, gives me hope for this style.

The glass was filled with a dark red nectar. The aroma had a pleasant amount of cherry to it, not the mind-blowing aroma of other fruit's I've tried. The intensity of the taste was equal to the aroma. It was a rather pleasant beer to have. It wasn't complex, not overbearing, it was a good social beer. I had no ploblem finishing my glass and my fiancee's glass. Good job, Mr. Sorensen!

04-17-2009 01:44:48 | More by DesMoinesMike
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

Lucent orangish brown with a hint of red when backlit. Why do so many offerings from this brewpub resemble iced tea in the glass? The head was two fingers to start, fell over time to a patchy, not quite covering film and left very little thin, clingy lace.

The nose was overly weak with virtually no maltiness and only a hint of apple fruit. This is a cherry beer? I failed on multiple attempts to appreciate any semblance of cherry in the aroma. It didn't make me optimistic that things would be any different on the palate.

Dark Cherry Ale was modestly malted with what I assume was pale malt since there were no caramel-like flavors by my palate. The fruitiness still seemed more appley to me than anything else. On the hop side of the ledger, I could appreciate some subtle herbal and tea-like notes, but with very little accompanying bitterness. Shouldn't a cherry beer taste like cherries?

With prolonged, intense, focused concentration, I was finally able to convince myself that I could appreciate sour cherries on the finish. However, saying a hint of cherry would be in danger of overstating the case. This is far from a bad beer, and probably deserves the next highest flavor score when judged in isolation, but I expect my fruit beer to taste like the fruit that was added to the kettle.

The mouthfeel was light-medium with a modest increase in viscosity on the finish. The start of each mouthful was boisterously carbonated, but the bubbles left the scene before the beer did. It was an odd effect that I didn't feel strongly about in either direction.

I was looking forward to Dark Cherry Ale and couldn't decide if it would lean more toward sour cherry, sweet cherry, or be an intriguing sweet-and-sour mix. It's hard to say what the original intent was since very little fruit made it into the final product. Not a bad little summer beer, but far from what it might have been.

08-23-2005 21:42:11 | More by BuckeyeNation
Dark Cherry Ale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.