Minty Fresh Stout - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

pDev: n/a
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

American Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 10-25-2005)
4/5  rDev n/a

Matte, possibly muddy, dark chocolate brown with very little light visible at the margins. The cap was an appealing shade of golden ecru, was furiously bubbly initially, then settled down and never fell lower than a thick disk. A slurred short collar of lace persisted, as did a thick sheet of lace on the glass opposite.

I had some doubts about this beer before smelling it because I felt that its success or failure hinged on the razor's edge balance between stout and mint. The nose gave me hope. It was a perfect combination of roasted black malt chocolatiness and sweet peppermintiness. There weren't any accessory aromas, but then what accessory aromas does a mint stout need? Fingers crossed, I took a tentative sip...

Minty Fresh Stout was a wonderful concoction that hit my expectations for a mint-flavored stout directly on the nose. Although it was more complex on the palate than in the nose, it was still a relatively straightforward beer. The flavor profile was made up of moderately roasted malt with plenty of chocolate, peppermint schnapps (without a hint of alcohol), a wee bit of fruitiness and virtually no coffee flavor. Since it was sweeter than it was bitter, I almost called it a sweet stout.

I would have liked a bigger mouthfeel. Having said that, with every sip, right down to the last, I kept thinking 'this beer is *just* big enough'. It was smooth, lightly creamy and soft, with a moderately slick finish. All of those are positive attributes in my eyes.

Minty Fresh Stout is good beer. However, the name leaves a little something to be desired since it conjures up images of toothpaste or mouthwash. If I was the CBO (Chief Beer Officer) at Rock Bottom, I'd release it every December and would call it Peppermint Stout or Candy Cane Stout. In any case, it's a fine seasonal and should be enjoyed by anyone (like me for instance) who thinks that combining stout and peppermint is a great idea.

Minty Fresh Stout from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.