Prussia's Pride IPA - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Prussia's Pride IPA
No picture uploaded.

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 10-26-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

andyschaps, Dec 21, 2011

valkyre65, Dec 14, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

First had: on tap at Rock Bottom, King of Prussia, PA

Poured a slightly hazed golden-yellow with a foamy white head that receded to a fine layer of bubbles. Mainly citrus hops on the nose with floral notes and a touch of malt coming through. Hops and more hops in the taste, pretty bitter, some citrus and pine notes, and some toasted malts just making an appearance in the background. Light-medium mouthfeel, and pretty drinkable, though a bit on the harsh side sometimes, so I usually don't feel like having more than a mug.

Rifugium, Jun 03, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

On cask, via hand pump @ the King of Prussia Rock Bottom on 7/24/10. Served in an oversized mug.

Pours a clear copper, topped with a little over a finger of frothy bright-white head. Retention here is very good, staying near a finger the whole way through and slathering the sides of the mug with a cascade of lacing that slowly drips down the sides. The aroma is hop forward up front, being green, earthy, and herbal, with some pine poking through and some tropical fruit tones mixing well with the sweetness of the malts. This took a bit long to finally open up but once it did, this was pretty solid.

The taste is green with grapefruit flavor and earthy bitterness, while some pine resin adds a certain degree of stickiness to this. The hops are well balanced here by a sweet backbone of bread and caramel character from the malts, nicely cutting the bitterness, and leaving just some light drying grit and residual juicy fruit notes. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a great feeling smoothness to the carbonation that keeps this flowing just effortlessly across the palate, aided by an almost non-existent ABV.

I think that I often take this for granted since it's always on tap, but man, I forgot just how solid of an IPA this is. Full flavored hop goodness here, with a ridiculously drinkable body (especially on cask). IMHO one of the best IPAs in the Philly burbs here.

Kegatron, Jul 27, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

First, I have to say I'm a little biased toward this beer. I drink IPAs almost exclusively and am a Rock Bottom regular. This is one of my favorites of all time, it stands up there with any of the more available IPAs, like Hop Devil or Green Flash. The other brewpubs in the area, like Sly Fox and Iron Hill, can't even come close with their standard IPAs.

Golden with an amber tint. Bitter hoppiness with some citrus. Not very malty. The bitterness stays on your palate. Nice head with great legs. Has been kicked up to 6.3% abv with the latest batches. If you enjoy a good IPA, you'll love this, it never gets old.

jonmr10, Mar 14, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

On-tap at the brewpub in standard tumbler.
Real tasty brew here. Very hoppy in smell and taste with loads of citrus coming through. Slighty cloudy with about 1/4 inch of head with a little bit of lacing. Not too bitter and light to medium in body. Very enjoyable beer. The second one goes down even easier. A good all around american IPA.

JunkYardJake, Feb 21, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass from a growler fresh from the restaurant.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with minimal head.

Smell: Floral hops, citrus, nice smell!

Taste: Grapefruit, piney and a nice bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Light, refreshing and crisp.

Drinkability: One of my favor IPAs. I'm lucky to live so close to Rock Bottom and can get a growler for $6 anytime I want.

Axic10, Jan 19, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

I had sampler of this in a cask and a regular draft. I thought the cask was better so I got a pint.

Pours a clear golden with a beautiful heading that sticks to the last sip. Left some great leggage throughout as well.

Smell was all hop. Not to much of a malt crispness aroma which I expected but did peak it's head through.

Taste was good. The hoppiness is the dominant factor here. Malts are somewhat of an afterthought.( Not knocking this beer but just expected more body to this). Slight zestiness.

Mouth is crisp and hoppy.Light to medium bodied, Kind of watery and finishes smooth.

Drink is good. A very easy going IPA and can be enjoyed at any time.

TheFightfan1, Dec 13, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a nice amber/orange color with decent slightly off white head. Good lacing. Smell is of citrusy and piney hops blended with somewhat strong carmel malts. Taste is of carmel malts with a bitter sting of piney hops with a faint floral hop presence as well. Medium bodied, not as smooth and creamy as the cask serving would have dictated. Good IPA leaning more towards the english style of IPA in my opinion.

rfgetz, Dec 07, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Fantastic beer. Especially noting the hop flavor which is almost a double IPA in my opinion has a solid color with a reliable aroma. A definite contender with the Green Flash IPA. After attending the GABF in 2009 and having sampled many, I can say Brian has done a great job with his Prussia IPA! I would highly recommend it to any IPA fan!

Ryandec, Nov 06, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -21.8%

Had this on tap tonight at Rock Bottom in King Of Prussia.
$2.00 thursdays!

Poured a golden orange color with about a fingers worth of soapy white head. A decent amount of lacing hung around for most of the pint.

Smell was light. A touch of citrus zest and a bit of carmel sweetness.

Taste like the smell was light. A touch of citrus and floral but mostly dominated by the malts. A bit bitter on the finish.

Watery and light on the mouthfeel. Smooth and easy to drink.

Overall this is a below average IPA. For $2.00 a pint it does the job but its noting to write home about.

BigMike, Nov 06, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

On-tap at the brewpub, yes, on a Thursday. God I love this beer, and I'll prove it.

Appearance: A nice deep orange with a decent head that usually leaves pretty good lacing. Very clear.

Smell: All citrus and pine hop aromas with some malt in the background. The aroma dictates the flavor almost perfectly.

Taste: Hop forward with flavors of grapefruit, orange, citrus, pine and pineapple. A slight bitterness lingers in the background most of the time and gains some strength as the sip finishes. A sweet caramel malt flavor backs the hops wonderfully before letting the bitterness finally break through. Hops finish it off as well. Very balanced and very nice transitions.

Mouthfeel: Finishes dry with some lingering bitterness, but other than that there isn't really any residual oiliness or hoppiness. Refreshing and inviting.

Drinkability: I'd give it a 6 if I could (on the 1-5 scale). Each pints last words are "get another" and I continue to oblige. I can't stand how drinkable it is, my wallet hates it.

This is my go-to beer. It's a part of their regular rotation and is in my opinion the best of the bunch. A masterfully crafted IPA that is perfect for beer drinkers of all kinds. Frank greets me every Thursday with a pint of this and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ezekiel81923, Oct 14, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Had this one several times this week while stuck in KOP. I had it both on tap and in growler, but enjoyed the brew somehow better in a growler in my hotel room then sitting at the actual bar.
Orange, cloudy brew with a pretty white head. Loads of lacing and retention. Citrus/cascade notes

Grapefruit and some citrus flavors are on teh front, balanced just slightly with caramel. It finishes with a mild hoppiness. Medium bodied brew that finishes clean.
The hopheads would like some more bite to it, but I feel that this is a very sessionable brew and one of the best regulars

Umbra, Aug 21, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

In my growler review, I mentioned me inquiring about Rock Bottom filling a sixtel for home. Well guess what. They did it, and at a very, very reasonable, almost criminal, price too. Super props to Brian McConnell and his staff.

Onto the review. Poured at home into my Sam Adams pint glass.

A: A medium orange color that seems lighter in the natural light. A one finger perfect pour head of white creamy head leaves nice full glass lacing.

S: Again, the nose on this beer is all about the Cascade hops. Smells of citrus and pine but a nice deep sweet malt smell. Great nose on this beer.

T: Hops dominate up front with citrus, orange, grapefruit, pineapple coupled with some deeper pine notes. The malt sweetness is very caramely and is very deep to stand up next to the hops. Very balanced beer. Finish ends bitter and hoppy.

M: Medium, not real thick and prickly and no real alcohol taste. This is not a syrupy thick IPA that coats the mouth forever, it ends up dry and refreshing.

D: High. Drink it fast, drink it slow, just drink and enjoy....all day if you wish too.

Overall I go back and forth between which version is my favorite, C02 or cask. Still, you can't go wrong with either. This beer is the perfect home keg beer. Hoppy enough to satisfy the hopheads, but balanced enough to satisfy the non hopheads. Honestly, I could drink this IPA all year long. It makes a killer house IPA. I can't get over how much I love this beer, having it on draft at home only makes my love even greater. Brian, if you read this, my god this is one kick ass IPA. Thanks for filling my sixtel. I guarantee it won't be my last fill either as I feel it won't last long. Cheers and props to RB in KOP.

Kadonny, Jul 01, 2009