Amarillo Pale Ale (Dry Hopped) - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Amarillo Pale Ale (Dry Hopped)
No picture uploaded.

1 Rating

pDev: 0%
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 11-16-2005)
View: Beers (441) |  Events
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Finely fuzzy 24-karat gold with honeybee yellow trim. The lemon-beige head was the usual several finger bar pour height, but seemed to persist longer than most and to leave a thicker, more unbroken sheet of lace behind. All in all, Amarillo Pale Ale was similar in appearance to the dry hopped pale ales that preceded it.

The nose said one thing and said it with the utmost conviction: 'Amarillo hops'. This beer would be a perfect learning tool for anyone who doubts his ability to discern one hop variety from another. I always want more powerful noses on my brewpub beer, but there was quite a bit to be had here. I'll save the description for the flavor since they're identical. Outstanding.

APA is unquestionably Amarillo juice on the palate. Whoever says this hop can't stand alone is out of his mind. From where I sit, it's great in combination and equally great solo; one of my top three American hops, without a doubt. The flavor profile consisted of pineapple, orange and pink grapefruit. Sometimes Armarillo reminds me primarily of pineapple, sometimes of tangerine/orange and sometimes of passionfruit. In this beer, pineapple was dominant.

There was a roughly equal sweet:bitter balance (for those who desire such a thing). That has never been a priority for me. In fact, I wanted a lot more hop bitterness than this beer delivered. While the flavor was tremendous, there wasn't enough of it. I blame the mouthfeel, which was too light and too lightly carbonated. I have a pretty good memory for such things and it seems to me that the other beers in the 'dry hopped' series were a tad more full and more lively than this.

Oftentimes, flavor and mouthfeel are inextricably linked for me. This was one of those cases. Amarillo PA would have been out of this world with a bigger body since it would have led to more flavor permanence. Doubling (or tripling!) the ingredients would probably have resulted in a mind-blowing IPA, but thanks to Iowa law it isn't currently possible. Free The Hops! Or something like that.

I love to see a new Rock Bottom dry hopped pale ale because they never let me down. Hey wdmrock, how about Columbus and Chinook next time? How could I fail to love a well-crafted beer that focuses on the Amarillo hop? I was parched earlier this afternoon and found myself staring at an empty pint glass in mere minutes. Despite my thirst, the deliciousness of this beer was a much greater factor in its rapid demise.

Serving type: cask
@ Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery, 4508 University Ave, West Des Moines

11-16-2005 21:40:31 | More by BuckeyeNation
Amarillo Pale Ale (Dry Hopped) from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.