Join our email list →

English Bitter |  ABV ?

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: fantome on 03-04-2006

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Hazy amber/bronze, beneath a slim, if firm layer of off-white foam.

Aroma is lightly sweet and citrusy, plenty orange, delightfully floral, the tiniest bit bitter, but hops are chiefly in play here.

Taste: Bitter and sweet at once, in the mouth, creamy, fruity, delicious. Doesn't make too bold a statement on the palate, but neither should it. Apple peels and sweet apricot slices join the citric dance on the tongue, then gently slide off, leaving only tasty, tastiness.

Medium bodied, lightish finish, persistent flavor, highly pleasurable. A handy ale, well worth the drinking.

Oddly enough, this reminds me of Grimbergen. It has a certain Belgian Macro Abby feel to it. The bitterness is understated to be sure but there are several qualities to this beer that I like. I pick up nice pear notes in the taste and spring flowers in the nose. A slight bite in the finish ads to the mouthfeel and the light, bright, and fruity body makes it very drinkable. Super mellow.

My problem is that there isn’t anything British about this beer. I really like it but I don’t think they have the style right.

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

On tap at the brew pub.

A—orange amber, cloudy, with not much head at all, slight lacing down the glass as I drank it

S—slight hops tones, floral and fruity at the same time, pretty mild in terms of smell

T—very good! The balance is nice, sweet and bitter are mixed well, neither is dominate, can taste the fruity and floral notes that I smelled. Man, this is good.

M—smooth and mellow, light to medium bodied, light carbonation

D—I had two of these and wished I had time for more. I should have filled a growler. This is a great session beer.
Note: I had this with the BBQ pork sandwich…I highly recommend the combo!

Bottom's Up Bitter from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.