Lumpy Dog Brown - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

good

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: zjungleist on 03-25-2006)
Reviews by stouty1:
2.98/5  rDev -12.1%

My mom brought me a Growler of this on Friday night. Today is Tuesday. Did I wait too long to drink? Not quite much to be excited about.
A: Dark color, absolutely no head.
S: Hardly none, but it is allergy season. Slight chocolate malts.
T: Chocolate malt, some sweet fruit (grapes or raisins). After it warms, it is definitely raisins and maybe some cherries.
M: Flat, no fizzy tongue feeling at all. Masked alcohol.
D: Easy to drink, but not much to desire. I could easily finish this Growler. It would be like eating a bag of Hershey's Special Dark.

stouty1, Apr 25, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Served in a tall mug)

A- This beer has a dark mahogany brown body with a light tan creamy head that last for a good bit. The body is a bit too dark to see any carbonation except for a few random bubbles.

S- There is a very soft smell of slightly sweet dark toasted malt.

T- This beer has a slightly sweet dark toasted malt flavor with a light toffee note to it. As it warms there is a hint of raisins or dark dried fruit in the background. The finish has a light malty flavor that hangs on the tongue for a bit.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a slightly sweet finish but no alcohol heat.

D- This beer has a sweet dark malt flavor but it would be nice to have some more depth to keep in interesting.

rhoadsrage, Jan 14, 2007
3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

When I ordered this I thought it would be a brown ale, but it was actually a porter. I commented that I tooked a touch dark for a brown ale, and was corrected. It was indeed pretty dark, not black or opaque, but a a very very dark brown, with a fair tan head. The smell was very malty and roasty and slightly hopped. The taste was basically roasted malts with a mild hop bitterness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was just a touch thin, but it was decently smooth. Drinkability was good, but I only had one.

zjungleist, Mar 25, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

They call this a Scottish Ale. Not sure what exactly makes it Scottish, but it's damn good - one of the best brown ales I've ever had! And that's saying something. I am an experienced BJCP certified judge. This is a great beer.

Aroma is sweet malt and raisins, with a hint of fruitiness. Definitely on the malt-balanced side, but enough bitterness to work.
An everyday drinker, but deceptive in that it's 6.6% abv! Well done Rock Bottom!

Seriously, one of my favorite beers.

datamike, Jun 09, 2009

Huffaroma, Jan 16, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a ruby brown color with a small creamy light tan head.

Scent of brown sugar, grain and hops. Pretty run of the mill, but not bad.

Taste of grain, brown sugar, some earth and tobacco in the finish. Simple, but pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and clean with low carbonation.

paco1029384756, Jun 19, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -19.5%

One of my least favorite brews from Rock Bottom; the beer is brown with no head and little to no smell. It tastes like an odd acidic flavor with some dark malt. Not very much coffee or chocolate flavor; drink and mouth was decent but overall this was a pretty poor effort in my opinion. Weak, watery, and not very full flavored.

jt31914, Jun 10, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass. For the record this is called a Brown Porter, not a Brown Ale.

Appears a very dark brown that looks mahogany in some light. Two finger head quickly dissipates to a thin coating.

Aroma is mild. Some chocolate, caramel, and a touch of coffee.

Flavors are a about the same as the aroma. Again pretty mild.

Mouthfeel is thin and kind of watery.

Wasn't very impressed. It's pretty drinkable because of how light it is, but it's just doesn't have much going on in the flavor department.

roadhouse, Jul 20, 2008

I tried this brew after taking a tour of the brewing operations at the Orland Park, Illinois Rock Bottom (said tour given by the Brewmaster Iain Wilson - way cool). I have been frequenting this Rock Bottom for about 9 months and have always hesitated to try the Lumpy Dog Brown because I thought it was a brown ale in the style of Newcastle (which I think is a bit of a weak beer). I was thrilled to find this is a PORTER, and a good one at that!

A= Very dark mollasses color with a thin-ish head and decent lacing.

S= This beer has that wonderfully sweet, malty aroma of a good porter. Smells of bread, caramel malt, mollassess, and hints of treacle.

T= This one has huge malt flavors. Tastes much like it smells of course.

MF= Very soft, though not creamy like a stout. Excellent lower carbonation beer.

D= I will definitely be having more of this one - very drinkable!

spointon, Mar 13, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Brams17, Yesterday at 05:00 PM

Durandal_777, Apr 23, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

Upon receiving the pint of Dog I became slightly intimidated because it was almost black and had two fingers of head, appearing more like a settled Guiness than a brown ale. Celebrating the retiring of my boss at work I dove in.

I have to say I was surprised by how smooth it was. There was a hoppy feeling but not overbearing at all. It settled heavily at the back of my tongue but was welcome to stay. Down the chute it let it's presence known but had no unwanted feeling. It's slightly heavier than what I'm use to but if you go in expecting a heavy taste you'll be satisfied.

My only gripe is that near the end of the pint I discovered a small mystery bit clinging to the bottom of the glass. Upon inspection the barkeep decided it was a lemon seed. It did appear to be a seed, but why a lemon seed came to be in a dark lager I can not say.

DesMoinesMike, Apr 18, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Bright backlighting turned Lumpy Dog Brown into Lumpy Dog Burnt Orange. The khaki crown was one finger to start and lasted several mouthfuls at least. A smattering of gauzy lace decorated the sides of the mug for the duration.

This canine's nose was on the underpowered side and was competent without being 'best of show'. I could appreciate toasted malt, a mild nuttiness and earthy (possibly English) hops.

The flavor profile consisted of well-toasted whole grain bread slathered with some sort of fruit jam and sprinkled with a small handful of nuts. A surprising amount of early sweetness segued into a finish that tilted toward hoppy-bitter. I liked the balance and wasn't thrilled with the lack of complexity.

Simplicity isn't necessarily a sin in a brown ale, but then higher scores exist for a reason. I'm not sure whether to call this beer an English brown or an American brown. Since hops are fairly prominent and since I drank it in America, I think I'll go with the latter.

The mouthfeel was light-medium and was slightly too buzzy. Neither one was a deal breaker, but then higher scores... (see above). I'm not overly disappointed since The Dog was easy peasy to drink.

I have no idea why it took me all this time to drink and review the last of the Rock Bottom regular releases. I'm sure Lumpy Dog Brown is a pretty good seller, but I can't see myself ordering it again since there are usually several beers on-tap that are (or at least look to be) more interesting.

BuckeyeNation, Jun 06, 2007