Heartland Light - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

Light Lager |  3.65% ABV

Made in the American Lager tradition, this light-bodied beer is clean, crisp and refreshing.

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 06-06-2006)
View: Beers (441) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by jt31914:
jt31914

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%

Surprisingly good light lager from Rock Bottom. Crisp solid flavor, almost like a better version of a typical adjunct lager; it is full with some solid hop flavor. Frankly it was gone within seconds of having it placed in front of me. Obviously not the best beer, but for the flavor it was outright shocking.

06-10-2010 21:04:53 | More by jt31914
tclapper

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

12-17-2011 19:09:06 | More by tclapper
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

This is an ultra smooth brew that has great flavor for a light lager. It doesn't have the sourness that your typical American light lager has. It's light golden color is mezmorizing. Keeping in mind that this is a light lager, not the heavy stuff I'm use to, it has a decent flavor and is super smooth. For it's style of beer, it's great.

Serving type: growler

05-24-2009 14:20:52 | More by DesMoinesMike
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.88/5  rDev +10.5%

I've had this idea since late last summer, but today is the day it finally comes to fruition. This review of Heartland Light is the opening salvo in the '(One Time Only) Greater Des Moines Light Lager Face-Off'. Today is suburb day (Rock Bottom and Granite City), and tomorrow is city day (Court Avenue and Raccoon River). After the final review I'll rank all four beers and award medals.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Pale haystack yellow topped by a simple white cap of foam that reached me at one finger in height and faded to a thin film within several minutes. At first, I didn't see any lace, but as the beer fell with drinking, I began to see the occasional smeary sheet. This is pretty much how all light lagers look, with 'points for' or 'points against' depending on the quality of the head and lace.

I was surprised by the nose. Not so much by its personality (fresh, untoasted grain with a hint of hops), but by its power. I didn't have to risk getting the tip of my nose wet in order to appreciate what the beer offered. I could tell right off the bat that this was much better beer than any of the flagship lagers from BMC.

I tend to review all beer with an eye toward style, but I also weigh overall quality within the scope of all craft beer pretty heavily as well. In other words, ain't no light lager ever getting a perfect score from me. Having said that, I feel comfortable in saying that Heartland Light is very good beer... considering.

The flavor profile was similar to the nose, but was even more impressive. I keep using the description 'fresh, untoasted grain', but that's what beer of this sort tastes like to me. I could also appreciate a decent amount of spicy, floral hoppiness (especially in the burps). I'll guess Tettnang or some other German variety.

I'm happy that the beer wasn't overly dry, but had a perfect amount of sweetness that was manifested most prominently on the finish. Thankfully, that didn't keep it from being semi-crisp. The mouthfeel, while light-medium in a general sense, was medium-full for a light lager. It was also perfectly carbonated. The big boys ought to be able to engineer a mouthfeel like this, but I've never seen evidence of it.

The bottom line is that Heartland Light didn't taste like a light lager at all. Actually it did, it was just a hell of a lot better than any other light lager that I've ever had. The fact that this is Rock Bottom's biggest seller gives me hope that the legions of BMC drinkers know a good thing when they taste it.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Gold Medal: Heartland Light (Rock Bottom)
Silver Medal: Northern Light Lager (Granite City)
Bronze Medal: Two Rivers Light (Court Avenue)
no medal: Tallgrass Light (Raccoon River)

05-23-2007 21:46:25 | More by BuckeyeNation
Heartland Light from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.