Sunny Day IPA - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

Beer added by: Gavage on 07-16-2006

3.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Nice clear amber body though headless. They were pretty busy at the bar for a Monday night (football season?) and I had the feeling my beer sat for a few minutes before the waitress could bring it out. That would explain the lack of head and the possibility that the aroma faded before I could fully appreciated it. Still, I caught the remnants of some floral hop smell which was nice.

For my tastes, they could have added a bit more hops. The beer was pretty well balanced, but I think an IPA should really showcase the hops. Everything else was pretty routine for this beer. The body was smooth but not standout. It went quite nicely with my cheeseburger.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%

It had been a long time since I'd been in Rock Bottom. I had forgotten that they serve beers in 20oz Imperial pints, which excited me. The rest of the appearance was less exciting. The pour had zero head on it, and it was darker than most IPAs I've seen. It was clear, copper, almost amber in color.

Smell was surprisingly strong for the lack of head. Sweet malts, floral, grassy hops.

Taste...was not what I was expecting for an IPA. It had elements of an amber in it, having a sweeter, biscuity malt flavor. It still retained a medium hop profile with a little bit of citrus that finished pretty clean.

Mouthfeel was well balanced and smooth, again, more reminiscent of an amber to me. Still, it was pretty drinkable. The hops won't fry your tastebuds, but it's an interesting experiment. Or, it could be interpreted as a dumbed down IPA, trying to appeal to the masses. I didn't mind it.

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%

Medium white head over a golden amber body. It has a big clean nose of Crystal hops from the Williamette Valley. Very nice smell and the hop bite is there but not overwhelming in the taste. A bit grassy too but nothing that really distracts from the overall character of the beer. Classic Northwest IPA.

3.26/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: clear orange in color with some yellow highlights with a 2" head that lingered a bit. A spot or two of lace developed.

Smell: very light hop bitterness and a touch of citrus.

Taste: the malt level was a bit light for this beer, but the hop levels matched it with a softer intensity than expected. A bit of grapefruit and pear was noticeable.

Mouthfeel: lighter in body than other IPAs I had on the west coast trip. Lightly crisp at the start, smoother and a tiny bit of dryness at the finish. Pretty clean aftertaste for the style.

Drinkability: not bad, but this was more like a pale ale than an IPA. Worth a try, and this would go good with some mildly spicy food.

Sunny Day IPA from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.