Simcoe Red - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Awaiting 10 Reviews

pDev: n/a
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 08-29-2006

4.04/5  rDev n/a

Perfectly clear rust orange with honey trim. The orangish ecru head looked to be too stiff and unsticky to result in much lace and, in fact, the only glass coverage was a large soapy blob at midglass when the beer fell below that point. Good 'body', not so good head.

Simcoe Red had one of the most aromatic and one of the best noses (top-3 at least) that I've ever had the pleasure to sniff at my local Rock Bottom. It was hugely tropical fruity with explosive, bright, ringing notes of orange, apricot and pineapple nectar. Each mouthful was a treat because I got a hop ester noseful along with it. Tremendous!

If the flavor had achieved the brilliance of the nose, I'd still be on my favorite barstool slurping down pint after pint until the cask was dry. It wasn't quite, but it was still a damn good single-hopped red. Actually, it tasted like an APA-red ale hybrid due to the lack of an aggressive malt presence.

Minimally toasted malt (pale and crystal?) provided just enough sweetness to balance the bitterness of the hops, while keeping its flavor contribution on the stingy side. Just how I like it. SR was definitely tasty beer, but I found myself wishing for a pale-malt-only, double-the-hops Simcoe IPA throughout the entire pint.

Each one of the fruits represented in the nose made an appearance on the palate, especially apricot. Simcoe are definitely one of my all-time favorites because of their amazing tropical fruitiness. The bitter linger wasn't quite as long as the exceptionally well-balanced, spotlessly clean flavor linger.

The body/mouthfeel could have used a bump. It was a shade too light and a shade too undercarbonated (both of which made drinking it as easy as falling off a barstool; not that I ever have). Normally I love the softness of cask beer, but this one wasn't quite lively enough to suit me.

Simcoe Red is another good beer from my favorite local brewpub. Despite falling a bit short in a few areas, the pint was gone almost before I knew it. Now, about that Simcoe IPA...

Simcoe Red from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.