Fallen Angel - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: russpowell on 02-18-2007

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

On-Tap at the Orland Park, IL Location

A: Hazy tobacco brown with a thin white head that dissipates immediately and laces slightly.

S: Nose was fruity and malty. First smell recognized was fruit like banana. Some citrus and spice present as well. Malts, spice, and caramel also sensed.

T: A really well balanced dubbel. A good mixture of fruit, spice, and malts. Ends with a nice warm aftertaste.

M: Good mouth coating and carbonation. Lighter body threw me off a little.

D: Very drinkable Dubbel. At 7.8 you don't get any alcohol bite. A real easy to drink dubbel that keeps its appeal.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

Bright reddish orange with smoky amber edges; the beer equivalent of cherry sun tea. The beige cap was one finger to start, lasted but a few minutes and left little more than dribs and drabs of lace. The appearance score has everything to do with the gorgeous sunburst that was the beer... and essentially ignores the less than stunning head.

The nose could have been more aromatic. Although, to be fair, it did become more bold with warming. My impressions were recorded in three simple words in my notes: 'toasted', 'fruity', and 'orange'. I'm well aware that oranges are fruit, so I guess that's only two impressions instead of three. I hoped this 'dubbel-style abbey ale' would have more going for it on the palate...

... and it definitely did. It took a few ounces to nail down the exact comparison, but I must have been happy with the final result since I wrote very little after that. Fallen Angel tasted like candied oranges drizzled with caramel and light molasses (dark candi sugar was used) and rolled in clove-spiced toast crumbs.

I have the utmost respect for wdmrock's brewing talent (tasting is believing), but that didn't stop me from wondering whether he was capable of creating an authentic Belgian dubbel. Make that 'a credible recreation of' an authentic Belgian dubbel. While Fallen Angel is no Westvleteren 8 (what is?), it did taste like the real deal; albeit a lighter than usual real deal.

Forget all that, though. I didn't really care how authentic or inauthentic it was. The most important thing was that it was delicious beer that became more complex and even more delicious as the ounces disappeared. It was wonderfully sweet and spicy (I'll bet that an authentic yeast strain was used), with a mild, hoppy tightening on the finish.

I wish the mouthfeel had risen to the occasion. It was a fraction too light and the carbonation was too bright. That combination is okay for a pilsener or a kolsch, but not for a dubbel. I like them bigger, softer and creamier. Come to think of it, a cask version would probably kick ass.

Fallen Angel is the second outstanding ale that I've had in as many days from Rock Bottom. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't believe months go by without me seeing the inside of the best damn brewpub in Des Moines. I like the beer's name, but it doesn't fit. Long before I saw the bottom of the pint glass, I knew this Angel was heavenly.

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours caramel with a 1/4" white head. Good lacing & some head retention

S: Fruitty, candy sugar & a little funky yeast

T: Candy sugar, dryness & warming alcohol up front. A little fruittyness & breadyness creeps in as this warms. Finishes warming with a little toffee & dry

MF Sticky with low carbonation & medium body

Drank easy for the style, flavors aren't intense enough to make you want more. Will try this again in a few weeks to see if it's changing flavor profile. I like the direction this place is headed with the special & brewmaster beers

Fallen Angel from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.