2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sir Hopsalot - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Sir Hopsalot
No picture uploaded.

pDev: 0%

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

(Beer added by: GbVDave on 03-08-2007)
View: Beers (425) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2 | Reviews: 2
kajerm

4.33/5  rDev 0%

I hope I actually have the right beer here-- I'll check back next time I'm at Rock Bottom to be sure (or else I'll ask someone else.)

Came out in a tumbler, cloudy caramel-brown with a standard white DIPA head and big lacing.

The aroma is a Pine-sol assault of Centennial and Amarillo. The malt backbone is just detectable enough to prove that this isn't just a glass of hop juice, although it's slouched way down in the backseat. It seems like piney hops are pretty rare these days, so it's kind of nice to have something other than grapefruit.

Tastes like it smells. Exactly. Pine flavor from the hops steals the show here, with a crisp, bitter finish that's balanced but strong enough for this to be a real DIPA. It's a little like Arrogant Bastard with more flavor-hopping and less bittering; also a little like gin.

The mouthfeel is crisp, oily, and brightly carbonated-- standard fare, I guess, but very refreshing for the ABV. After just one, I'd say it's drinkable as hell, but I think that all those pine hops could get old after a while.

They said this was the assistant brewmaster's debut on the menu. I'd say if this beer is any indication, he has a pretty bright future.

NOTE: I'm probably overrating this a little because I'm so happy to taste something other than Cascade, but it's still an awesome IPA.

@ Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery, 1 W Grand Ave, Chicago

04-28-2007 05:23:30 | More by kajerm
GbVDave

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Served in a 12oz tumbler at Rock Bottom Chicago 3/6/07.

A: Hazy light orange/peach color. 1/4 finger off white head.

S: Major hop aroma! You can almost feel the amarillo rising out of the glass to grab you by the throat.

T: Grapefruit with a tart lemon quality. Very smooth malt backbone. I found there to be traces of pine in the finish. Very pungent hoppiness.

M: Very slick and oily. Mild graininess in the finish.

D: Very big and refreshing. I was quite impressed.

@ Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery, 1 W Grand Ave, Chicago

03-08-2007 02:25:12 | More by GbVDave
Sir Hopsalot from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.