Pink Ribbon Ale - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

pDev: n/a
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

Witbier |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 05-25-2007)
4/5  rDev n/a

Pink Ribbon Ale is a witbier flavored with raspberries that was released last evening at Rock Bottom. The occasion was the calendar release party for the Calendar Girls' 'Pose For The Cure'. Proceeds from calendar sales go to the battle against breast cancer. I can think of few more worthy causes.

Murky, peachy rose... or rosy peach. I don't think I've ever seen a beer quite this hue before. It was crowned by a tidy dollop of impossibly bright white foam that left a respectable amount of lace in shredded sheets. Original and appealing.

I wondered whether the orange peel from the witbier would survive the addition of so many raspberries. Happily, it not only survived, but it made the beer's nose a beautiful, bright fruit salad of juicy oranges and plump red raspberries. I couldn't appreciate much coriander, but didn't mind a bit.

The flavor profile was pretty much an exact replica of the nose. Each mouthful delivered an especially orange-like witbier with a yummy raspberry jam infusion. More or fewer berries, added for a longer or a shorter time, wouldn't have worked as well.

At first, I had a hard time picking out the spice. After about five minutes of warming, I began to note the classic flavor of coriander on the finish. I was already sure of the taste score at that point, that simply solidified it. Speaking of the finish, sweet and tangy raspberries became even bolder and brighter and lingered longer as the beer warmed.

As so often happens, I changed my mind about the mouthfeel from the first ounce to the last. It started out a little too light and a fraction too carbonated, but firmed up and settled down over time. An early tongue tingle turned into a late tongue tickle.

I didn't make it to the big party last night, but was lucky enough to get a pint of this wonderful ale today for lunch. I hope wdmrock decides to release Pink Ribbon Ale on a regular basis because it's an outstanding warm weather beer that should sell like gangbusters. The name is perfect for what, hopefully, will turn out to be an annual Calendar Girls event. I would like to humbly suggest Raspberry Wit for the rest of the year.

Pink Ribbon Ale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.