Evergreen Ale - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

pDev: 0%
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

Rye Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 06-12-2007)
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Melted butter toffee with honey colored edges. Up top was a dense cap of palest ecru that lasted for quite a while and left a decent amount of lace. I didn't expect Evergreen Ale to be green, but I wasn't sure what to expect either. I like the end result.

The nose was pleasantly citric fruity (lemon and grapefruit). Unfortunately, it didn't reflect the interesting list of ingredients and was marked down as a result. I could appreciate a whiff of spruce, but no rye and no juniper berry. A more strongly flavored beer would have resulted in a more aromatic beer, I'm certain of that.

Evergreen Ale's only negative is that it's too mild for my tastes (especially since it was such delicious beer). It's positives are a fascinating collection of flavors and remarkable balance in terms of both flavors and flavor sensations (sweet, bitter, tangy, spicy).

A word about style. wdmrock calls this ale 'an amalgam of the Finnish Sahti tradition and the spruce beers of early America'. I've selected herbed/spiced beer, but I'm pretty sure that's no longer allowed and I'll be forced to choose another. I don't think it's truly a sahti, so that isn't an option. I think I'll go with rye beer.

One reason why Evergreen Ale isn't a true sahti is the surprising amount of hop flavor. I was reminded, in some respects, of a pale ale. The bottom consisted of a nutty, lightly toasted breadiness (Victory malt); the middle was appealingly spicy (flaked and malted rye); and the top showed off sweet, citrus marmalade (Magnum hops), evergreen (fresh spruce tips) and juniper berries.

Obviously, I could never had identified all those ingredients on my own. Knowing what I was drinking made things much more fun. Again, I loved the cooperation among all members of the flavor profile, I just wish they had been more bold (especially the spruce tips).

The mouthfeel was anything but light. I'd put it somewhere on the medium to slightly full side for an APA. It was incredibly supple and showed no hint of deterioration on the finish. A subtle amount of carbonation was a perfect match.

I like to see brewers pushing the envelope. Evergreen Ale is incredibly interesting beer on paper. Even more importantly, it's incredibly interesting beer on the taste buds. I'd love it if RB would release this beer every summer. I'd also love to see a bigger, bolder, sprucier version released every winter.

06-12-2007 11:29:51 | More by BuckeyeNation
Evergreen Ale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.