Flanders Fields Witbier - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

Witbier |  4.41% ABV

(Beer added by: BuckeyeNation on 04-25-2010)

On-tap at the brewery earlier today. This beer was pale yellow in color with little to no head. Smell was fruit/citrus, not strong but not bad. Taste was shocking; I am typically not a fan of witbiers (thus I planned to judge this by the style, not by my own taste buds) but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed the taste of this beer. The pear flavor wasn't too dominant, but it was still noticeable. Good balance and fullness for the beer. Nice surprise.

jt31914, Jun 10, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

--Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae M.D. (Canadian Army)

"In Flanders Fields" was written after the battle of Ypres in the spring of 1915. It is one of my favorite poems.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Muddy lemon topped with a single finger of eggnog colored foam that slowly melted into creamy puddles on the surface of the beer. Thick sheets of lace were unbroken to start, became tattered and torn, then faded to mere wisps.

The nose was everything that a witbier nose should be. It was bold right out of the gate, with plenty of orange (Curacao, sweet) and just the right amount of spicy coriander. The next highest score could just as easily have been chosen.

Flanders Fields Witbier grabbed my tongue from the first 'no expectations' sip and didn't let go until the final upending of the glass. If outstanding wits were easy to brew, then we'd be awash in outstanding wits. Last time I checked, we aren't.

Other than the usual ingredients for the style, this offering contains 'a secret'. Whatever it is wasn't obvious to my taste buds. Each large gulp delivered a pleasing, summery blast of untoasted-tangy wheat, bright-citrusy orange peel, and piquant-spicy coriander. Beautiful beer with beautiful balance.

The mouthfeel was truly Belgianesque, a compliment that I don't pay easily or often. It was medium in heft (amazing given the ABV), with a softly pillowy texture and a lightly coating finish that left the mouth and tongue wanting more.

As the pint glass rapidly emptied, it dawned on me that Flanders Fields Witbier was better than I had originally thought, even after the first impressive mouthful. Doesn't one of the most delicious witbiers and one of the best beers of any style less than 4.5% deserve a lofty score? Yes, it does.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 25, 2010
Flanders Fields Witbier from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.