Rock Bottom Oatmeal Stout - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

Oatmeal Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Jason on 09-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rock Bottom Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Brams17, Today at 06:13 PM
3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Next to the IPA, this was the best they had to offer. Rich, creamy and dark stout. Light on alcoholic content for a stout. Light in the mouth and finished smooth without any lingering taste of oatmeal.

uvachief, Aug 27, 2014

MSandahl23, Jul 31, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Howlader, Jul 20, 2014

smartassboiler, Jul 13, 2014

Durandal_777, May 09, 2014
3.51/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I went to the Rock Bottom in Cincinnati, though because it's a chain I am going to assume the beers carry over the same. I ordered a flight of six of their standard beers and as I tried each one I found that each was spot on to the style. The remarkable thing is how unremarkable the beers are. Don't get me wrong, they are well worth the try and certainly above average but they are produced for a mass market. So as lazy as it may be I am going to simply say that this beer was a text book example of the style without breaking out and setting itself above.

KYGunner, Mar 09, 2014

deapokid, Apr 07, 2012

jaidenjb, Jan 17, 2012

UpperDecker, Dec 17, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a dark black, dense cap of khaki head, decent retention. Served quite cold for cask. Scent is mild and muted, roasted grain with hints of sweet milk chocolate. Taste is rather straightforward, but good - medium roast grain, semi-sweet chocolate, faint coffee, light fruitiness. A tad thin for style but still medium bodied and smooth. Overall, a nice, highly quaffable beer.

rfgetz, Dec 05, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Bellevue, WA location, after wandering around for a half-hour trying to find a bit of dinner before watching things explode for an equally long amount of time...

This beer appears a clear dark cola hue, with one finger of thin foamy off-white head, which leaves a ring of specked lace around the glass in its wake. It smells of mild milk chocolate, and faint grassy hops. The taste is dry, chalky chocolate, bready malt, day-old coffee, and bitter earthy, floral hops. The carbonation is quite low, the body medium weight, and nice and smooth. It finishes fairly dry, the chocolate and mild hoppiness still entwined.

An earnest effort, but oatmeal stout needs a wee bit more finesse than is exhibited by this offering.

biboergosum, Jul 06, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on-tap in Chicago Rock Bottom in a tulip pint glass

Poured a jet black with a half inch off white head

The nose has lots of chocolate, and a roasted note or too

A bit sweet, hoppier bitterness than most oatmeal stouts I have had, chocolate and coffee in the flavor as well.

Very nicely carbonated, not as oily as I wanted, but there is some oily texture there, I could drink this all night

mhatters, Jul 09, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

These are always a little tricky for me to review because I love them so! Off the tap this beer was delivered to me an opaque black. The tan head seemed to be off a nitro-tap because it was perfect, sticky as a tight cap, displaying great retention and some scattered lacing. The aroma was subtle, chocolate malt and some biscuit but not a whole lot there. The flavors were fairly standard for the style but enjoyable, chocolate and roasted malt, hint of smoke and coffee leading to a dry bitter finish. The body was medium/full, the carbonation soft but the mouthfeel watery. A fine beer but I felt it lacked gumption and any unique character.

thekevlarkid, Dec 06, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

I was at first kind of excited to try Rock Bottom beer, but I guess I chose kind of poorly. I ordered the Oatmeal Stout, my friend ordered an ale and when I tried hers, I was disappointed in my choice as the ale was much better, and I wish that was the one I was reviewing. However, it is what it is, so here goes the Oatmeal Stout...

Appearance: Black, but seemed a little wattery under the light tan head of about one finger.

Smell: Not a whole to it at first, a little malty but that was about it -- it was brought out too cold, so it had to set for a while and warm. As it did, some chocolate came out as well as slight roast. The smell is one of the better aspects of this beer.

Taste: Nothing special jumped out at me with this beer. I felt it was a little bland at first, and again as it warmed, a slight chocolate taste showed up. I've been drinking a lot of stouts lately and this one just did not measure up in the taste bud department.

Mouthfeel: It coated nicely, but it wasn't what I was looking for. Leaves you a little dry, but the ABV seemed a little light so I was left wanting something else.

Drinkability: Meh. I would not likely order this particular beer again. Just doesn't stack up against other oatmeals -- such as Goose Island or New Holland.

bamadog, Nov 24, 2008