1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Winter Spiced Ale - Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Winter Spiced Ale
No picture uploaded.

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery visit their website
United States

Winter Warmer |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: goldbot on 01-28-2011)
View: Beers (425) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 3 | Reviews: 3
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

I had this on tap at the Arlington, VA location.

A: Looks like a Florida orange, with a foggy disposition and a 1/2 finger head that stuck around for awhile.

S: I actually got ginger in this on the nose. Was that right? Also coriander, and TONS of wheat. Smelled very nice.

T: Now on the taste, I actually picked up cinnamon also. I don't think that one was on the spice bill either, but hell... that's what I got. I got one more weirdo spice for you: licorice. All or this was wrapped up carbonated orange juice.

M: Mildly splotchy on the lacing end, and with a spice compound that damn near stained my teeth (much less, my palate).

O: I dug this one, feel it's underrated, and would be honored to have it again.

02-19-2012 03:20:19 | More by Chaney
jera1350

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An 8% wheat beer brewed with spices of cinnamon, ginger and coriander.

Served in a tall tulip, a golden color with a slight haze, but very little head on top.

The smell is mildly sweet with lots of spices coming through. A bit like a spiced holiday cookie.

The flavor is much like the smell. Some honey sweetness with a touch of alcohol and lots of spices. Cinnamon is quite noticeable, but works well with the others. Like I mentioned in the smell, much like a holiday cookie.

Very dry and about medium-full bodied.

This was a very nice beer. Half a glass was probably enough for me however. The spices kind of wore on me, but I still liked the beer very much overall.

12-12-2011 02:02:40 | More by jera1350
goldbot

District of Columbia

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Deep ruby-ish brown in color with substantial tan head, great lacing. Brilliant and clear. Malty aroma with caramel and dark fruit notes. Moderate spice. Flavor is sweet malt, some more caramel, and LOTS of spice. I don't know how they got so much delicious spice flavor in here. Hot, spicy ginger hits first followed by even amounts of the allspice and nutmeg. More allspice lingers in the aftertaste. Medium body, but the spice creates a tannic and dryish mouthfeel. Overall I thought this one was a gem. I'm not always a fan of spice beers but this one had a great balance and delicious flavor. Paired surprisingly well with burger and fries too.

@ Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery, 4283 Wilson Blvd. (Ballston Common Mall), Arlington

01-28-2011 03:05:07 | More by goldbot
Winter Spiced Ale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.