Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen - Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

good

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant visit their website
United States

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Redrover on 04-27-2005)

jmbraxton, Aug 19, 2012

Unchi, Dec 07, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +31.2%

Will_Shakesbeer, Sep 13, 2014
4.6/5  rDev +27.1%

A- has a thin white head accompanied by a golden body that bears a striking resemblance to a light colored apple cider
S- has a wheat smell accompanied by a spicy banana and bubble gum aroma that suggests a light fruity drink
T- has a light fruity taste, but its a little hard to put your finger on the exact identity of the spices until you read the back, but when read it becomes apparent and undeniable the flavors you taste in this golden beer
M- is really light and just the right amount of hops for a strong but subtle taste
D- definite easy drink just seems to slide down your throat as you enjoy it. I didnt want it to be the my last one that i had but sadly, things dont turn out the way you want them to.

all in all a fantastic beer with an easy, smooth, fruity taste that makes drinking beer fun. definite recommendation for any beer drinker looking for something new to add to their arsenal of beers.

scott56, Jan 04, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A very good Bavarian Hefeweizen. Orangish-gold color with a slight haziness. Nice fruity banana/clove aroma. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel with flavor leaning more towards the clovey side. Medium bodied.

Very nice Weihenstephan yeastiness.

Definitely a beer to sit down and drink a few of.

This review was based on the version at the Washington DC brewpub.

RBorsato, Oct 09, 2002
4.58/5  rDev +26.5%

This is a great example of a hef in my humble opinion. Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Golden orange in color, formed a thick, aromatic head with a somewhat dominating banana smell. Cloudy like a hef should be, head stayed much longer than with many other hef's I've had. Great taste, good amount of carbonation, not so much though where it gets in the way of taste. Thin, light mouth feel leaves me wanting more. Tried one more with an orange slice, say what you will about adding fruit slices but this helped to enhance the already great flavor.

bunnyhustle, May 17, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

Happy Hour doesn't not get any better than at my local Gordon Biersch. This beer goes down so smooth. It's more of a spring and summer beer, but can really be enjoyed year round. It has a hint of banana that can be both smelt and tasted. If this beer was available in kegs, it would be a permanent staple.

EricMiller_NY, Jun 19, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

This is my favorite hefe. I actually had the pleasure of meeting Dan, and he is one of the nicest brewers I have ever met. He challenged me to put his hefe against Weinhephstephaner, and I must admit, I like his better. The over all drinking experience of Gordon Biersch takes the cake on hefes. It was served in the GB hefe glass, with the appropriate head. The banana is not over powering, and not subtle either. I truly enjoyed sitting in the sun and sipping on this beer.

reeverbythespeak, May 03, 2010

ninaturner, Jan 06, 2013

Capitals82, Jan 13, 2014

mattbooty, Sep 04, 2014

rgille2, Jun 29, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the best Hefeweizen I have had since visiting Germany. Most American Hefeweizens are no more than an ale brewed with malted wheat. They have a more bitter flavor to them that you will not find in this beer. Between its beautiful unfiltered golden appearance, wonderful aroma, and unique and enjoyable flavor notes of banana, bubblegum, citrus, and clove, this beer is a perfect selection for any occasion.

HSGB1316, Jul 28, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

This was from Safeway. This tastes exactly the same as the Trader Joes Bavarian Hefe; Wonder if it is the same brew in a differerent bottle. Poured a nice gold color with a bit of haze and left a nice creamy head and nice lacing. Big nose of wheat and banana. Mouthfeel very nice, and flavors true to what a real German hefe tasted llke when I visited there last year. Nice example of the style.

rkuhnel, Feb 27, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +22.4%

When poured, the color was hazy golden yellow, with a medium amount of foam and nice lace on the side of the glass.

The smell of spices and yeast filled the nose with a pleasant aroma, with just a hint of fruit.

The flavor was of yeast and spices, with a hint of banana. What a pleasant surprise from Gordon Biersch. This to me is there second best bottled beer!

BeerManDan, Aug 24, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +21%

While I am typically incredibly particular when it comes to American brewed Hefeweizens, I must admit, this one caught me be surprise.

Poured into an Ayinger hefe glass, it looks and smells just as a solid hefe would.

Taste and mouthfeel are almost spot on with German brewed hefes: solid notes of bannana, bubblegum, citrus, and a hint of earthiness from the yeast.

Drinkability is increadibly high, I enjoyed it over and over again while watching Groundhog day last night.

At 6.50 a 6pack, I am cruising through these.

Oh and an incredibly legible bottle on date of just a month ago, I think that freshness is definitely helping it out!

pixieskid, Feb 03, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

A: Cloudy, (the cloudier the better), Golden Straw-like appearance with a bright white foamy head. Just looking at it, it's thirst quenching. Thick, sticky lacing, long after it was gone.

S: Big Banana, and phenolic characteristics dominate, both balanced well, with the clove spiciness slightly behind them. The yeasty-wheat aroma's come through nicely. Hops were overpowered as they should be by the Banana and Clove.

T: This beer is super balanced with all it's attributes. Tastes of fresh yeasty bread. Fresh grain, but the yeasty-wheat borderline overpowering at times (Pungent). I attribute this to a change in my senses. Hop presence is right where it should be: in the background.

M: High carbonation, yet amazingly soft and smooth. It helps bring out those classic Hefe aromas.

D: This is one of those beers I sit back and look at deeply when drinking it. I'm simply amazed with this beer. Month after month, year after year, I try this Hefe, and consistently get the same beer.

I love the fact that the grain bill is balanced towards the wheat in fair amounts. I've seen some disappointing recipes with a 30-40% wheat balance. The GB is more in the range of 55% Wheat grist.
To me this is what a Hefeweizen should taste like.

It is the benchmark for all other Hefeweizens out there.

brewnickbrew, Aug 17, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

This pours a cloudy deep golden orange hue. It has the requisite banana, clove, and bubblegum, but for me the banana almost comes across as banana bread. I really enjoy this beer and the taste is extremely good. Banana and clove up front with an extremely subtle citrus sprinkled in the middle. The finish is strong with that banana bread and clove note that mirrors the scent. Feels creamy in the mouth, but it does have plenty of carbonation. Very tasty and refreshing.

alkemy, May 08, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

My second beer from San Jose's Gordon Biersch...

Pours cloudy light orange with a nice creamy head, very carbonated. Smells of yeasts, lots of banana, and malts. Very inviting. Taste follows well with a good blend of maltiness and yeastiness, not too sour, and the bananas and light spices make this brew one of my more favored hefes.

aquatonex, Nov 10, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

One of the line of Gordon Biersch beers that have just appeared in Texas. It has a nice orange-gold color, though little head appeared and that quickly faded away. Nice aroma though--fruity, sure, but the spicy phenolic side has the upper hand. Very good flavor, with a lightly sweet wheat malt initially, bubble-gum fruitiness, and a solid clovey, peppery spiciness--much like Franziskaner. More carbonation would help the mouthfeel.

Solid hefe here... the other two GB beers that appears in Texas (marzen and blonde bock) are pretty bland, but this one is very good.

allengarvin, Dec 11, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottom of back label stamped BOTTLED ON: 07/25/11.

Appearance - Frothy, glossy barely off-white pearly sheen head with decent stick and retention.

Smell - Extremely strong banana. Reminds me of my first Weihenstephaner Hefe.

Taste - Strong banana here too. Almost too well done. Makes me wonder if some sort of artifical flavoring or syrup was used. Some dryness in the body but finishes with slight banana maltiness. My suspicion is the only thing holding back my grade on this beer.

Mouthfeel - Creamy frothiness in the head. Light to medium bodied. No astringency or any other off characters here.

Overall Drinkability - Possibly the best US hefeweizen I’ve ever had. I just fear that it’s a little too good, and my suspicion that artifical flavorings are used worries me and makes me grade this lower than I would otherwise if I knew this was a legit hefe.

ZenAgnostic, Nov 10, 2011