Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen - Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

Gordon Biersch HefeweizenGordon Biersch Hefeweizen

good

good

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant visit their website
United States

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Wildman on 06-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A very good Bavarian Hefeweizen. Orangish-gold color with a slight haziness. Nice fruity banana/clove aroma. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel with flavor leaning more towards the clovey side. Medium bodied.

Very nice Weihenstephan yeastiness.

Definitely a beer to sit down and drink a few of.

This review was based on the version at the Washington DC brewpub. (367 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +22.8%

This is a great example of a hef in my humble opinion. Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Golden orange in color, formed a thick, aromatic head with a somewhat dominating banana smell. Cloudy like a hef should be, head stayed much longer than with many other hef's I've had. Great taste, good amount of carbonation, not so much though where it gets in the way of taste. Thin, light mouth feel leaves me wanting more. Tried one more with an orange slice, say what you will about adding fruit slices but this helped to enhance the already great flavor. (558 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +22%

A- has a thin white head accompanied by a golden body that bears a striking resemblance to a light colored apple cider
S- has a wheat smell accompanied by a spicy banana and bubble gum aroma that suggests a light fruity drink
T- has a light fruity taste, but its a little hard to put your finger on the exact identity of the spices until you read the back, but when read it becomes apparent and undeniable the flavors you taste in this golden beer
M- is really light and just the right amount of hops for a strong but subtle taste
D- definite easy drink just seems to slide down your throat as you enjoy it. I didnt want it to be the my last one that i had but sadly, things dont turn out the way you want them to.

all in all a fantastic beer with an easy, smooth, fruity taste that makes drinking beer fun. definite recommendation for any beer drinker looking for something new to add to their arsenal of beers. (913 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Happy Hour doesn't not get any better than at my local Gordon Biersch. This beer goes down so smooth. It's more of a spring and summer beer, but can really be enjoyed year round. It has a hint of banana that can be both smelt and tasted. If this beer was available in kegs, it would be a permanent staple. (305 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

This is my favorite hefe. I actually had the pleasure of meeting Dan, and he is one of the nicest brewers I have ever met. He challenged me to put his hefe against Weinhephstephaner, and I must admit, I like his better. The over all drinking experience of Gordon Biersch takes the cake on hefes. It was served in the GB hefe glass, with the appropriate head. The banana is not over powering, and not subtle either. I truly enjoyed sitting in the sun and sipping on this beer. (475 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the best Hefeweizen I have had since visiting Germany. Most American Hefeweizens are no more than an ale brewed with malted wheat. They have a more bitter flavor to them that you will not find in this beer. Between its beautiful unfiltered golden appearance, wonderful aroma, and unique and enjoyable flavor notes of banana, bubblegum, citrus, and clove, this beer is a perfect selection for any occasion. (413 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

This was from Safeway. This tastes exactly the same as the Trader Joes Bavarian Hefe; Wonder if it is the same brew in a differerent bottle. Poured a nice gold color with a bit of haze and left a nice creamy head and nice lacing. Big nose of wheat and banana. Mouthfeel very nice, and flavors true to what a real German hefe tasted llke when I visited there last year. Nice example of the style. (395 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

When poured, the color was hazy golden yellow, with a medium amount of foam and nice lace on the side of the glass.

The smell of spices and yeast filled the nose with a pleasant aroma, with just a hint of fruit.

The flavor was of yeast and spices, with a hint of banana. What a pleasant surprise from Gordon Biersch. This to me is there second best bottled beer! (368 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18%

While I am typically incredibly particular when it comes to American brewed Hefeweizens, I must admit, this one caught me be surprise.

Poured into an Ayinger hefe glass, it looks and smells just as a solid hefe would.

Taste and mouthfeel are almost spot on with German brewed hefes: solid notes of bannana, bubblegum, citrus, and a hint of earthiness from the yeast.

Drinkability is increadibly high, I enjoyed it over and over again while watching Groundhog day last night.

At 6.50 a 6pack, I am cruising through these.

Oh and an incredibly legible bottle on date of just a month ago, I think that freshness is definitely helping it out! (643 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Cloudy, (the cloudier the better), Golden Straw-like appearance with a bright white foamy head. Just looking at it, it's thirst quenching. Thick, sticky lacing, long after it was gone.

S: Big Banana, and phenolic characteristics dominate, both balanced well, with the clove spiciness slightly behind them. The yeasty-wheat aroma's come through nicely. Hops were overpowered as they should be by the Banana and Clove.

T: This beer is super balanced with all it's attributes. Tastes of fresh yeasty bread. Fresh grain, but the yeasty-wheat borderline overpowering at times (Pungent). I attribute this to a change in my senses. Hop presence is right where it should be: in the background.

M: High carbonation, yet amazingly soft and smooth. It helps bring out those classic Hefe aromas.

D: This is one of those beers I sit back and look at deeply when drinking it. I'm simply amazed with this beer. Month after month, year after year, I try this Hefe, and consistently get the same beer.

I love the fact that the grain bill is balanced towards the wheat in fair amounts. I've seen some disappointing recipes with a 30-40% wheat balance. The GB is more in the range of 55% Wheat grist.
To me this is what a Hefeweizen should taste like.

It is the benchmark for all other Hefeweizens out there. (1,299 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

This pours a cloudy deep golden orange hue. It has the requisite banana, clove, and bubblegum, but for me the banana almost comes across as banana bread. I really enjoy this beer and the taste is extremely good. Banana and clove up front with an extremely subtle citrus sprinkled in the middle. The finish is strong with that banana bread and clove note that mirrors the scent. Feels creamy in the mouth, but it does have plenty of carbonation. Very tasty and refreshing. (471 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

My second beer from San Jose's Gordon Biersch...

Pours cloudy light orange with a nice creamy head, very carbonated. Smells of yeasts, lots of banana, and malts. Very inviting. Taste follows well with a good blend of maltiness and yeastiness, not too sour, and the bananas and light spices make this brew one of my more favored hefes. (337 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottom of back label stamped BOTTLED ON: 07/25/11.

Appearance - Frothy, glossy barely off-white pearly sheen head with decent stick and retention.

Smell - Extremely strong banana. Reminds me of my first Weihenstephaner Hefe.

Taste - Strong banana here too. Almost too well done. Makes me wonder if some sort of artifical flavoring or syrup was used. Some dryness in the body but finishes with slight banana maltiness. My suspicion is the only thing holding back my grade on this beer.

Mouthfeel - Creamy frothiness in the head. Light to medium bodied. No astringency or any other off characters here.

Overall Drinkability - Possibly the best US hefeweizen I’ve ever had. I just fear that it’s a little too good, and my suspicion that artifical flavorings are used worries me and makes me grade this lower than I would otherwise if I knew this was a legit hefe. (909 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +14.5%

One of the line of Gordon Biersch beers that have just appeared in Texas. It has a nice orange-gold color, though little head appeared and that quickly faded away. Nice aroma though--fruity, sure, but the spicy phenolic side has the upper hand. Very good flavor, with a lightly sweet wheat malt initially, bubble-gum fruitiness, and a solid clovey, peppery spiciness--much like Franziskaner. More carbonation would help the mouthfeel.

Solid hefe here... the other two GB beers that appears in Texas (marzen and blonde bock) are pretty bland, but this one is very good. (569 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

A) Hazy, almost too dark yellow glass sports a solid white head that drops to a heavy cover that lasts and leaves spots of lace.

S) Overripe cantaloupe, bubble gum, and a rustic wheat backbone.

T) Banana, clove, bubblegum, all good Hefe yeast flavors, with a drying, almost rough wheat finish that is very well balanced with no real hop flavors noted.

M) Bubbly medium body with a dry, rough finish.

O) A solid hefe. It stands up well against German standards (Weihenstephaner), probably due to the fact that we can get it much fresher. Glad to see this in Texas. (567 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Presented as a cloudy yellow beer with white puffy head. Smell is appropriate for the style with strong notes of spices (cloves, corriander) and bananas. Very weel done. Taste follows throufgh on the smml with bananas, cloves, and bubble gum dominating. Very good example of the style, very refreshing. (302 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +12.9%

Pleasantly surprised!
Beautiful hazy golden color topped with a disappointing lack of the usual thick frothy Hefe head, had to ding on points big time here, otherwise had all the fruity, banana-y, clove smells and tastes one expects from the finest Hefe's, went down smooth, I could quaff many, now if they could just do something about that head? (348 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +12.9%

On-tap at the Phoenix Airport.

Absolutely gorgeous pour: thick, cream-colored head atop an utterly hazy, orangish golden-amber body. Great head retention and a good depth to the color, as some brown creeps in near the center. In my book, this is how a hefeweizen should look. The aroma is packed with sweet, rich, bready yeast notes, lemon peel, lots of malt, and a bit of a wooden earthiness.

The flavor is interesting. Creamy vanilla, banana, and zesty citrus balance the sweetness of its earthy malts. A hint of whipped cream is thrown in for good measure. Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, and the body is of medium thickness. Aftertaste is a bit bland, but it's an excusable downside of the Hefeweizen style. This is an outstanding beer. I really didn't care for most of the German-inspired Gordon Biersch stuff that I'd tried, but for this style, they hit the nail on the head. (880 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +12.3%

Had this at the Co Springs airport outlet on a rainy summers night

Pours straw colored & clear with a 2.5 fingers deep white head. Some lacing & okay head retention

S: Huge bubble gum notes & hints of lemon

T: Bubblegum & honey up front, fruittyness follows. Finishes fruitty with hints of band aids & pepper

MF: Medium body with good carbonation

Drinks very easy, this is a hefe that would pass a german, no problem. I enjoyed this (447 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +12.3%

A generous pour yielded me a gigantic off white head that didn't stick around long. It is orange in the middle with golden highlights. It is cloudy. It smells like banana cream with clove and other spiciness. The mouthfeel is very smooth. No particular taste overpowers another. The banana and spices meld quite nicely. I find this beer very palatable. I didn't expect much coming from GB. I would probably seek this out again. (427 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

A nice, but subdued head is present (much lower than most hefe's). There is no lace. Dark honey color and cloudy as expected.

Strong wheat aromas (duh?) that reminds me of corriander and banana. The flavor has strong lemon and orange notes. The tartness continues into the aftertaste. Nice full body with good carbonation. This is quintessential wheat beer. If you are a fan of this style, seek this one out while in DC. (423 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

This was the best American Hefe-Weizen I have ever had so far. The closest to my German favorites. It has the nice golden hazy appearance - the dense rocky head, the aroma and flavor of cloves and banana, quenching wheat tartness, and the spritzy carbonation that tickles my throat. I had me a good time with this one. I was back in my neighborhood pretty late that night, riding my bicycle around in my underwear. (414 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Gordon Biersch- Hefeweizen

A- Deep brownish yellow with a thick foamy head.
S- Strong Bubblegum clove and wheat.
T- Sweet fruity clove bubblegum flavor and a yeasty finish.
M- Sweet throughout refreshing.

Overall- A delicious hefe, a definite if visiting a Gordon Biersch! (274 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a cloudy apricot color with minimal white head and too difficult to see any action.
Multiple aromas of banana, lemon, bubblegum, and wheat malt.
Has a wheat grain taste with hints of banana/bubblegum and has a lemon/lime background with a butter finish.
Light bodied, resinous, with a crisp and soft carbonation.
Been in my mix for awhile I noticed these beers are brewed at Gordon Biersch Brewing, San Jose CA. (417 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a darker shade of hazy golden compared to most other Hefe-Weizens. Plenty of creamy white head on top though. Lovely aromas of banana and clove, and this example seems to have more clove spice than most others. Palate offers a good balance of wheat & the signature banana/clove. Finishes somewhat clean. Very refreshing & drinkable. One of their best offerings. (367 characters)

Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen from Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant