Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen - Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

good

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant visit their website
United States

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Redrover on 04-27-2005)
4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

A: Cloudy, (the cloudier the better), Golden Straw-like appearance with a bright white foamy head. Just looking at it, it's thirst quenching. Thick, sticky lacing, long after it was gone.

S: Big Banana, and phenolic characteristics dominate, both balanced well, with the clove spiciness slightly behind them. The yeasty-wheat aroma's come through nicely. Hops were overpowered as they should be by the Banana and Clove.

T: This beer is super balanced with all it's attributes. Tastes of fresh yeasty bread. Fresh grain, but the yeasty-wheat borderline overpowering at times (Pungent). I attribute this to a change in my senses. Hop presence is right where it should be: in the background.

M: High carbonation, yet amazingly soft and smooth. It helps bring out those classic Hefe aromas.

D: This is one of those beers I sit back and look at deeply when drinking it. I'm simply amazed with this beer. Month after month, year after year, I try this Hefe, and consistently get the same beer.

I love the fact that the grain bill is balanced towards the wheat in fair amounts. I've seen some disappointing recipes with a 30-40% wheat balance. The GB is more in the range of 55% Wheat grist.
To me this is what a Hefeweizen should taste like.

It is the benchmark for all other Hefeweizens out there.

brewnickbrew, Aug 17, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

This pours a cloudy deep golden orange hue. It has the requisite banana, clove, and bubblegum, but for me the banana almost comes across as banana bread. I really enjoy this beer and the taste is extremely good. Banana and clove up front with an extremely subtle citrus sprinkled in the middle. The finish is strong with that banana bread and clove note that mirrors the scent. Feels creamy in the mouth, but it does have plenty of carbonation. Very tasty and refreshing.

alkemy, May 08, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

My second beer from San Jose's Gordon Biersch...

Pours cloudy light orange with a nice creamy head, very carbonated. Smells of yeasts, lots of banana, and malts. Very inviting. Taste follows well with a good blend of maltiness and yeastiness, not too sour, and the bananas and light spices make this brew one of my more favored hefes.

aquatonex, Nov 10, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

One of the line of Gordon Biersch beers that have just appeared in Texas. It has a nice orange-gold color, though little head appeared and that quickly faded away. Nice aroma though--fruity, sure, but the spicy phenolic side has the upper hand. Very good flavor, with a lightly sweet wheat malt initially, bubble-gum fruitiness, and a solid clovey, peppery spiciness--much like Franziskaner. More carbonation would help the mouthfeel.

Solid hefe here... the other two GB beers that appears in Texas (marzen and blonde bock) are pretty bland, but this one is very good.

allengarvin, Dec 11, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottom of back label stamped BOTTLED ON: 07/25/11.

Appearance - Frothy, glossy barely off-white pearly sheen head with decent stick and retention.

Smell - Extremely strong banana. Reminds me of my first Weihenstephaner Hefe.

Taste - Strong banana here too. Almost too well done. Makes me wonder if some sort of artifical flavoring or syrup was used. Some dryness in the body but finishes with slight banana maltiness. My suspicion is the only thing holding back my grade on this beer.

Mouthfeel - Creamy frothiness in the head. Light to medium bodied. No astringency or any other off characters here.

Overall Drinkability - Possibly the best US hefeweizen I’ve ever had. I just fear that it’s a little too good, and my suspicion that artifical flavorings are used worries me and makes me grade this lower than I would otherwise if I knew this was a legit hefe.

ZenAgnostic, Nov 10, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

A) Hazy, almost too dark yellow glass sports a solid white head that drops to a heavy cover that lasts and leaves spots of lace.

S) Overripe cantaloupe, bubble gum, and a rustic wheat backbone.

T) Banana, clove, bubblegum, all good Hefe yeast flavors, with a drying, almost rough wheat finish that is very well balanced with no real hop flavors noted.

M) Bubbly medium body with a dry, rough finish.

O) A solid hefe. It stands up well against German standards (Weihenstephaner), probably due to the fact that we can get it much fresher. Glad to see this in Texas.

HardTarget, Apr 08, 2009

HeyYoMar, Feb 27, 2013

jkara27, Apr 29, 2012

Pleasantly surprised!
Beautiful hazy golden color topped with a disappointing lack of the usual thick frothy Hefe head, had to ding on points big time here, otherwise had all the fruity, banana-y, clove smells and tastes one expects from the finest Hefe's, went down smooth, I could quaff many, now if they could just do something about that head?

surfmeister, Sep 14, 2004

DexterP236, Apr 06, 2012

snocntry, May 30, 2012

lauries444, Jul 20, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +16%

A nice, but subdued head is present (much lower than most hefe's). There is no lace. Dark honey color and cloudy as expected.

Strong wheat aromas (duh?) that reminds me of corriander and banana. The flavor has strong lemon and orange notes. The tartness continues into the aftertaste. Nice full body with good carbonation. This is quintessential wheat beer. If you are a fan of this style, seek this one out while in DC.

smcolw, Sep 06, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +16%

Presented as a cloudy yellow beer with white puffy head. Smell is appropriate for the style with strong notes of spices (cloves, corriander) and bananas. Very weel done. Taste follows throufgh on the smml with bananas, cloves, and bubble gum dominating. Very good example of the style, very refreshing.

tgbljb, Jun 11, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +16%

This was the best American Hefe-Weizen I have ever had so far. The closest to my German favorites. It has the nice golden hazy appearance - the dense rocky head, the aroma and flavor of cloves and banana, quenching wheat tartness, and the spritzy carbonation that tickles my throat. I had me a good time with this one. I was back in my neighborhood pretty late that night, riding my bicycle around in my underwear.

dedrinker, Oct 26, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +16%

On-tap at the Phoenix Airport.

Absolutely gorgeous pour: thick, cream-colored head atop an utterly hazy, orangish golden-amber body. Great head retention and a good depth to the color, as some brown creeps in near the center. In my book, this is how a hefeweizen should look. The aroma is packed with sweet, rich, bready yeast notes, lemon peel, lots of malt, and a bit of a wooden earthiness.

The flavor is interesting. Creamy vanilla, banana, and zesty citrus balance the sweetness of its earthy malts. A hint of whipped cream is thrown in for good measure. Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, and the body is of medium thickness. Aftertaste is a bit bland, but it's an excusable downside of the Hefeweizen style. This is an outstanding beer. I really didn't care for most of the German-inspired Gordon Biersch stuff that I'd tried, but for this style, they hit the nail on the head.

wagenvolks, Jan 04, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

Had this at the Co Springs airport outlet on a rainy summers night

Pours straw colored & clear with a 2.5 fingers deep white head. Some lacing & okay head retention

S: Huge bubble gum notes & hints of lemon

T: Bubblegum & honey up front, fruittyness follows. Finishes fruitty with hints of band aids & pepper

MF: Medium body with good carbonation

Drinks very easy, this is a hefe that would pass a german, no problem. I enjoyed this

russpowell, Aug 27, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +15.5%

A generous pour yielded me a gigantic off white head that didn't stick around long. It is orange in the middle with golden highlights. It is cloudy. It smells like banana cream with clove and other spiciness. The mouthfeel is very smooth. No particular taste overpowers another. The banana and spices meld quite nicely. I find this beer very palatable. I didn't expect much coming from GB. I would probably seek this out again.

buschbeer, May 21, 2010