Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen - Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant visit their website
United States

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Wildman on 06-23-2002

Hundreds of years ago in Germany, wheat beers were considered 'breakfast' or 'after church' beers, a testament to their light refreshing flavor and a tradition of drinking them on weekend occasions. We invite you to enjoy our Hefeweizen (hay-fa-VEIT-sen) any day of the week.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev -17.3%

Just experienced the GB Hefeweizen, which, oddly enough, is currently being advertised as the perfect beer for summer, and available in July...it's February. Go figure.

The beer was presented in a glass that in itself was a work of art. A nice head gave way to an even nicer color, which was a hazy, rich, golden yellow - straw-colored with orange to amber undertones. The visual was nicely offset with a mellow banana-clove bouquet - a nice treat for the olfactory.

However, the mouth feel was much lighter than I expected - nice for a brunch, maybe with a nice, light omelet (seafood or chicken, for example), but overall, I missed the slight "chewy" taste and body that accompanies most Hefes.

Sadly, the aftertaste was virtually nonexistent. I kept waiting for a nice little bite - that sweet balance between fizz and flavor resulting from good conditioning - but the more I drank of this light-bodied brew, the more it took on the characteristics of a somewhat flat soda.

All in all an "OK" brew, but doesn't stand up to the all the GB hype - or their signature garlic fries, for that matter.

On tap.

Nice soft golden color with a bubbly white head. Left some lacing on the glass. Wonderful to look at.

The nose had a strong note of spice. Cloves and corriander and fruits. A great aspect of this brew.

Nice crisp and light body. Right off you taste the wheats and some hops bitterness. Mostly however you taste the spices. Cloves, corriander and fruits. This was a great brew. Definitly getting it next time.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Like the other Gordon Biersch beers, it's not particularly flavorful or robust but worth a try if you're a hefe fan

Appearance: Opaque, cloudy golden

Smell: bananas

Taste: Fruity/banana

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth with little alcohol taste

Drinkability: Sweet and good with a meal but not strong enough to be a stand alone

4.21/5  rDev +14.1%

Pleasantly surprised!
Beautiful hazy golden color topped with a disappointing lack of the usual thick frothy Hefe head, had to ding on points big time here, otherwise had all the fruity, banana-y, clove smells and tastes one expects from the finest Hefe's, went down smooth, I could quaff many, now if they could just do something about that head?

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Had this on-tap at the Miami location. Beer was poured into proper glassware (Weizen glass).

A: this hefe was off to a bad start. The beer had a yellow lemonish color that wasn't as cloudy or heavy looking as most of the good hefes I've tried in the past. Nice looking two finger white head but it dissipated really quick, boo. Some lacing was present.

S: this is where things started to improve. Smell was very enjoyable with lots of wheat, lemon, banana, and hints of honey. Thumbs up.

T: followed the nose nicely with touches of wheat, lemon and banana that are felt in the tongue as soon as you sip the beer. It ends with a bit of an acidic taste, but nothing offensive.

M: light body leaning towards medium. A bit watery but not in a bad way, makes the beer feel crisp and fresh.

O: this beer was a bit confusing. I usually like my Hefes to be on the heavier body side but this was very enjoyable as it was. The lightness and watery feel are definitely uncharacteristic of the style but this beer does a good job in making it feel right. The good smell and taste made up for the weak appearance.

2.94/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a cloudy, golden straw color. Fluffy white foamy head that holds for some time. No lacing.

Smells of banana, and citrus. Hints of sweetness. But overall, weak.

Tastes of banana and a little fruity. Some sweet bubble-gum notes. Hints of a traditional German Hefe, but again, weak.

Mouthfeel is creamy upfront, smooth, with some carbonation in the finish. However, it is too watery, and thin.

OK, but not the best example of this style.

3.84/5  rDev +4.1%

At airport Gordon biersch.

A. Orange amber, cloudy, fine head but little retention and lacing

S: yeasty, bready with unusually strong banana and some orAnge with cloves

T: very fresh, doughy with strong yeast esters of banana. Simple but correct

M: again doughy with high carbonation, makes for high drinkability

Fresh, correct and enjoyable like a sparkling water version of a banana muffin

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

What I enjoyed about G.B. is that use different glasses for different beers. I'm not a beer snob, by any stretch, but I appreciate that the make the effort.

Gold trending toward amber color and slightly cloudy. Head was modest. Smell was a combination of grain and slight crisp-sweet fruit. Flavor was light, mild with perhaps a touch of citrus coming through. I'd should add, however, that there wasn't anything "off" about the beer either. I just wanted a bit more flavor to come through. Mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a nice touch of crispness. Solid drinkability, but nothing really stands out with this beer. This is a decent by-the-numbers beer. I preferred the G.B. Schwarzbier for having a touch more of everything and some really nice flavor.

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours out to a hazy golden amber with a large head that subsides quickly. The smell is of malt and caramel, very sweet. The taste is actually very sweet as well. I agree with another reviewer in that the taste reminds me a lot of bubblegum. I expected a bigger hops taste. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the flavor of each sip subsides rapidly. The drinkability is fairly good, and it refreshes quite well, but this is on the sweet side for me.

3.87/5  rDev +4.9%

Good looking cloudy yellow beer with substantial head. Smelled very spicy, clove and banana, more than I would have expected. Good full mouthfeel with a ton of banana flavor even for a hefe. This isn't my favorite style but this is the best beer I had at Gordon Biersch.

2.16/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 12oz bottle, no freshness date provided, but there is a Born On date.

Appearance- 3.5 out of 5. Very thickly-clouded, almost opaque orange with yellow around the edges. Pours with a decent one and a half-finger white head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves a similarly decent bit of lacing around the sides and on top.

Smell- 2.5 out of 5. This beer smells odd. It has all of the typical Hefeweizen scents of banana, clove, and bubblegum, yet it also has an oddly sour note. This is my fourth bottle of this beer this year, so it's definitely not an isolated incident or a case of tainted beer.

Taste- 1.5 out of 5. That strangely sour note returns in the taste. It's almost as if someone squirted honey mustard into a sweaty jock-strap and let it stew in a hot locker room for a week. It really makes it difficult to enjoy the rest of the beer's flavors. Aside from that, there is a hint of sweet malt, fermented yeast, beer bread, and spicy rotten bananas. The hops are noticeably absent from the overall flavor profile.

Mouthfeel- 3.5 out of 5. Rather heavy for a Hefeweizen. Carbonation is noticeable but not strong.

Drinkability- 2 out of 5. This is the third time I've poured this beer down the drain. I'm a rather open-minded imbiber, but this beer is just terrible. Gordon Biersch needs to redesign the recipe for its Hefeweizen before I'll consider approaching it again.

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

I'm usually a passionate American Beer > Euro beer guy but one exception I have to that rule is Hefes. Most American ones are pretty bland and don't come close to the best German ones. The Gordon Biersch here was a pleasant surprise. If I had had it blind I would have figured it was German.

A...Soft, hazy, yellow-orange gold color. Nothing special but it looks like what a hefe should look like. Pours a big head that stays around for awhile

S... Like banana bread. Like a hefe should. Very pleasant and light aroma.

T... Nothing outstanding but, again, a very solid hefe taste. That Hefe banana/cloves taste is definately here.

M.. Soft, effervescent and little bit of pleasant spiciness.

D.. An enjoyable glass to drink.

4.06/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a bottle, with a bottling date more in line with reason - a rare feat here in Singapore, dated May 7th of this year. Poured a semi transparent creamy orange into a class Weissbrau Pint Glass. Solid 2 Finger head built on a foundation of semi strong carbonation. Sweet aroma in line with the style. The description on the label does the beer justice, therefore making it hard to argue. Bananas, Bubble Gum, Citrus, and clove are all in there. I'd throw in caramel as well making the banana taste more like a bananas foster type dessert taste, but that might be a little to specific. The extreme fruity characteristics of the aroma take a back seat to the wheat flavour upon drinking it, which is exactly what you want. Well balanced, slight semi sweet dry finish makes you want to take another sip immediately. Sessionable and in my opinion solid for an American version of a German classic.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Sampled on-tap at the Yard House in Long Beach, CA.

A = reminded me of a cloudly amber lager. pretty light for a hefe.

S = pretty mild with obvious clove and citrus aromas

T = very mild with no strong flavors that really stick out.

M = very thin and watery.

D = this is drinkable, but there are so many better hefe's around, I don't see any reason for ordering this.

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

The appearance was good,as expected a semi-blonde bubbly,brew with a nice foamy head. The odor was sweet,and malty,some spice the odor was quite enticing. This was my first and last Hefeweizen,nothing against the maker. I felt like I drank a beer that someone else had drunk from a baseball game that had a big wad of gum in her mouth. Honestly..down the drain it went. Overall its my loss ...just couldnt appreciate this style of beer.

2.53/5  rDev -31.4%

It had potential before I tasted it. Nothing particular to praise about this beer, tasted like it had banana syrup poured into it. Something chemically that made it hard to finish. Sometimes gordon biersch goes on sale with the ralphs club card, but i've never been happy with his brews.

3.33/5  rDev -9.8%

A-The beer pours a hazy orange color. The beer was capped by a thick inch of foam.

S-Initially as the beer warmed there were banana aromas that were mixed with a background of bubblegum. The beer stabalized with a clove spicy aroma that was accompanied with a underpinning of ethanol.

T-It tasted spicy with a yeast wheat like dryness.

M-The beer has a light body that is lightened by the carbonation rate.

D-The beer is drinkable as a session beer with some highpoints to enjoy.

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the best Hefeweizen I have had since visiting Germany. Most American Hefeweizens are no more than an ale brewed with malted wheat. They have a more bitter flavor to them that you will not find in this beer. Between its beautiful unfiltered golden appearance, wonderful aroma, and unique and enjoyable flavor notes of banana, bubblegum, citrus, and clove, this beer is a perfect selection for any occasion.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

This is my favorite hefe. I actually had the pleasure of meeting Dan, and he is one of the nicest brewers I have ever met. He challenged me to put his hefe against Weinhephstephaner, and I must admit, I like his better. The over all drinking experience of Gordon Biersch takes the cake on hefes. It was served in the GB hefe glass, with the appropriate head. The banana is not over powering, and not subtle either. I truly enjoyed sitting in the sun and sipping on this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

A: Cloudy, (the cloudier the better), Golden Straw-like appearance with a bright white foamy head. Just looking at it, it's thirst quenching. Thick, sticky lacing, long after it was gone.

S: Big Banana, and phenolic characteristics dominate, both balanced well, with the clove spiciness slightly behind them. The yeasty-wheat aroma's come through nicely. Hops were overpowered as they should be by the Banana and Clove.

T: This beer is super balanced with all it's attributes. Tastes of fresh yeasty bread. Fresh grain, but the yeasty-wheat borderline overpowering at times (Pungent). I attribute this to a change in my senses. Hop presence is right where it should be: in the background.

M: High carbonation, yet amazingly soft and smooth. It helps bring out those classic Hefe aromas.

D: This is one of those beers I sit back and look at deeply when drinking it. I'm simply amazed with this beer. Month after month, year after year, I try this Hefe, and consistently get the same beer.

I love the fact that the grain bill is balanced towards the wheat in fair amounts. I've seen some disappointing recipes with a 30-40% wheat balance. The GB is more in the range of 55% Wheat grist.
To me this is what a Hefeweizen should taste like.

It is the benchmark for all other Hefeweizens out there.

2.53/5  rDev -31.4%

I've had other Gordon Biersch products but didn't particularly care for this one. It poured well with an average head. Smell was fairly nice but the taste didn't quite seem to match. Too many banana hints for me I guess, and almost a smokey flavor like a Scottish Ale or something.

Thought I'd try eating some pistachios with it to maybe help compliment the flavor but it didn't work.

Glad I had the experience but likely won't buy it again. (just my $.02)

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Served in a hefewizen glass. Nice. All the other beers were served in standard pilsner glasses. It was a plus to see them take into account the style when choosing the glassware.

Appearance - This beer looked like a typical hefe, as far as the color and clarity go. Hazy and golden-yellow. Looked good, but the head of about an inch dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell - Smelled mostly of banana. A good aroma for sure, but maybe not as complex as others of the style.

Taste - Taste was great. I loved it. Hefeweizen is my favorite style, so that has to be considered, but I really enjoyed the taste. Mostly banana flavor, as could have been deduced from the smell, but very smooth, even creamy. Banana was the dominant flavor for sure, but it wasn't to the point of annoyance. It was very good to me.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, smooth, and it definitely had that distinctive hefe-feel. If you've had more than 1 hefe in your life, you know what it should feel like, and this one did. Very good.

Drinkability - I had 2 right in a row, and if I wasn't driving, would have had several more without batting an eye. After tasting the first one, I pounded it, so they'd serve me another one that I could sit and enjoy. Both were great, and very easy to drink. I tasted thier Marzen, and Blonde Bock as well, and this one was definitely the easiest drinker for me, though the others were also smooth, and pretty decent.

If you visit a Gordon Biersch Restaraunt, and have only thier beers to choose from, I definitley recommend it. Especially if Hefewiezen is among your favorite styles.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Happy Hour doesn't not get any better than at my local Gordon Biersch. This beer goes down so smooth. It's more of a spring and summer beer, but can really be enjoyed year round. It has a hint of banana that can be both smelt and tasted. If this beer was available in kegs, it would be a permanent staple.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

A - poured a hazy golden color with a one finger head that dissipated in a minute or so.
S - Pleasant aroma of cloves and banana. Probably balanced more toward ripe banana peel.
T - Yeast flavors of tasty clove and banana dominates. Somewhat sweet and could use more wheat malt flavor.
M - Medium/high carbonation and mouthfeel. Nice lacing.
D - Can drink this all day in the summer or any other time for that matter.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

This is the first American brewed hefeweisse I have consumed that even comes close to competing with it's German forefathers. Well done!!

Looks like a real Hefeweisse.

Smells like a real Hefeweisse

Tastes like a real Hefeweisse.

Now will I be able to find this in my local beer store?

Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen from Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant