Gordon Biersch Pilsner - Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

Gordon Biersch PilsnerGordon Biersch Pilsner

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant visit their website
United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: scottoale on 12-06-2006)
1.78/5  rDev -45.4%

I did not like this pilsener. It looked really good, clear gold pour witha frothy white head and solid lacing. It smelled awful, like b.o. The taste was not much better. Very sour, again like a dirty sweat sock. Someone said metallic-tasting, which is close. I just could not get over the smell.

magictrokini, Dec 08, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -37.1%

Light yellow pour with a little white head that didn't last. Kind of reminds me of a Carlsberg, and had no Pilsnery bite to it. It was too yeasty, bready and doughy for me, and not the crisp pilsner I hoped for. My least favorite of their beers possibly, but I think I've already said that about their blonde bock... On tap at the SF Gordon Biersch.

JDV, Jan 31, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -37.1%

A: Light golden haze (ie. apple juice). 1/2 inch of foam.
S: Very light with hardly any scent at all.
T&M: Man this is just like water, but with a metallic taste near the end. Maybe I got hold of an old batch of beer, but this is not impressive at all and I'm not the harshest critic either.
D: I would try this again, just to make sure that my batch wasn't a bad one. Will have to investigate further...hopefully this was a misnomer.

July2Nov, Jul 19, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -37.1%

I haven't cared much for the offerings of this quasi-upscale corporate brewhouse, and have avoided it for some time after an initial visit. But I decided to give the beer another try.

Pilsner pours a slightly deeper gold than your American pilsner, with thin threads of bubbles and a fluffy white head with no staying power.

Aroma is thankfully absent of adjunct. Light grassy hops and malt in the nose, it smells clean and crisp.

Gods, does the promise go downhill on the tasting. Brash, metallic flavor overrides everything. Bitter aftertaste and thin mouthfeel give way to a brassy finish.

Leave this for the yuppies who think they're drinking a sophisticated microbrew.

Hunter, Apr 01, 2005
2.2/5  rDev -32.5%

Had on tap at the Gorden Biersch bar at LAX at 9:30 am before flying home.

A - Poured a straw color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Isn't very good its of grain and dirty socks

T - It doesn't taste any better than it smells even slightly sour

M - This beer has a light body with higher carbonation to it

D - This is the worst beer that I've had from Gordon Biersch and I won't be getting this one anytime soon again stay away

armock, Dec 06, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -29.4%

Had this beer on draft at the restaurant in the San Diego brewpub.

A-bright white head, old gold body and very clear.

S-clean and some faint fruit smell

T-clean, light grain flavor and some hop flavor at the end

M-light

D-overall a really weak beer. Not very flavorful and somewhat one dimensional.

jneiswender, Mar 05, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -24.8%

12oz Brown Bottle, bottled on August 30th, 2005, served in a 24 oz Pilsner glass.

Pours a pale grainy yellow color. Not really amber. Two finger head that lasts for a minute or so. A ring of foam is present at the edges the rest of the way. Attractive enough, but hardly inspiring.

Smell is plain. Mild citrus. Could almost be scentless if you did not try hard.

Taste is of mild hop bitterness, but not much more. Very little more develops as the beer warms. Actually just gets more sour, in a bad way. Mouthfeel is watery, but not unpleasant.

An ok Pilsner, but not at all stellar. Too little smell, too little flavor, too little body. Uninteresting. I don't think I could drink a lot of it either because of the sour taste it develops after a while.

UberWasser, Oct 20, 2005

acurtis, Jan 22, 2012

crobinso, Jun 04, 2012

Mipper, Aug 05, 2014

MJGTi, Jul 14, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -21.8%

Had on tap at the Miami brewpub. The trainer was serving me and said its more of a Czech pilsner. Of course reasonable people may disagree. Neutral aroma. A bit more cloudy yellow than a plane lager, and had some white head, left some lace. Some saaz hops, and an off-bitterness.On the thinner side.

Sammy, Feb 20, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -21.8%

The beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer is a golden yellow coloration. The head was short lived and white in coloration.

Smell: There is a bit of malty breadyness. The hops show up as briefly spicy.

Taste: The beer has a pretty nice wheat bread maltyness. The hops provide some bitterness to break up the sweetness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a light body with minimal carbonation. The beer is ok to drink but not something I will repeat.

nlmartin, Apr 02, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -19.3%

A- Yellow gold. Moderate amount of bubbles. Head quickly dissipates and leaves very little to no lacing.

S- grain smell, nothing too impressive.

T- A nice hop bitterness that stays with you. Nothing too exciting though.

M- Very light. Medium carbonation.

D- Nothing too exciting. I'd have it again, but there are better pilseners out there.

gpogo, Apr 15, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Dull golden rod color, very clean and still. Head started ok but fell to a wispy off white memory.

S: Copper coins, light white grape, corn pops

T: Begins like a bitter fruit perhaps, cranberry or unripe citrus but without the sweetness. Metallic tastes hit as the bitter fruit really begin to blossom...sort of an astringent bitterness without a lot of the attractive qualities. Finishes grainy and undefined.

M: Thin body with a medium prickly mouthfeel.

D: I really don't like this beer. It lacks the subtle sweetness that most other pilsners have. Pass. I won't finish this, move onto something else.

Westsidethreat, Jan 11, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

DOCRW, Mar 07, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -15.6%

ejimhof, Mar 09, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -13.2%

Gold color, minimal head. Muted aroma, light biscuit nothingness.

Light body, touches of diacetyl, super mild hopping. Carbonation through the roof.

At almost $8 a 6 pack, I don't know why anyone would buy this, many better options. The beer isn't terrible, but it is expensive for what it is.

Beerandraiderfan, Jul 20, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a clear deep golden colour, with a full and meringuey head of foam. Rocky bubbling leaves some sticky lacing. Lots of large-bubbled carbonation. It looks the part.

Nose is unfortunately really very weak. Bit of grainy malt, and maybe something green and a little fresher, with a bit of sharp seltzer water. Eh. Not great. Very lean on flavour.

Taste is clear and clean, but also extremely light, like the nose. Some graininess and a sharpness on the back which is probably the most pleasant aspect. Some slightly harsh huskiness come out later. Mouthfeel is sparkling, but the carbonation feels slightly bloating.

It's not bad, but it's only average. Drinkable enough, and more flavoursome than a generic pale lager, but not nearly as good as some of the best pilseners.

lacqueredmouse, Oct 29, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -9.5%

I usually don't drink pilsners by choice but I didn't have much choice and I haven't had the GB version. I didn't get to pour this one so that is why I gave the appearance a 3. This wasn't a standout beer in any way. The words that kept coming to me in regards to the smell and taste were light and crisp. However, with "light and crisp" in my head, the beer was a little too malty for me. I don't think I'd turn this one down but, like most pilsners, it wouldn't be my preference. After trying this one in a bottle, my rating might change. Who knows when that will be, though.

misterscooter, Jan 19, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured a golden yellow color with a moderate bubbly head which left slightly less than average lacing in my glass.

There was a fair amount of hops present in the smell, however there also seemed to be a slightly unpleasant odor also present which I couldn't identify.

The beer did have a better taste than smell, a pretty typical pilsner.

It had a slightly better than average mouth feel, just about the right amount of bite.

All in all it was a drinkable beer, just nothing I'd go back to again in a hurry. I would like to try one some other time, or on tap at my local GB brewpub just to see if that mildly unpleasant smell was still there or if I perhaps have a "bad" 6 pack on my hands.

JBogan, Sep 16, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -8.6%

Clear straw/light gold color with a nice white head at first with subdued carbonation leaving good lace. Light German hop aroma with little to no malt aroma or flavor and no outstanding characteristics. Very light bodied with a dry finish.

Very boring Pils -- not one to seek out in bottles. I've had better on draft at the GB brewpubs.

Per label: "Crisp Golden Lager"

Bottled: 09/14/04