Gordon Biersch Rauchbier - Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

Rauchbier |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: bradybeer on 12-10-2008

3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +6.4%

I had this on-tap in a pint glass at the Gordon Biersch in Seattle.

Appearance: murky light brown hue with a finger of ivory foam and a nice lace left on the glass. Not bad.

Smell: sweet and even a little wheaty with a good smoke character. There's some caramel in there too; I really like it.

Taste: rich and wheaty -- no idea if there is wheat in this but it tastes like it. Smoke is well balanced and adds a lot of character. I really like it.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a big well-integrated carbonation with a good, smooth creaminess. Very good indeed.

Overall: I'm really enjoying this beer. It reminds me of a smoked weizen or something. Great.

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

3.56/5  rDev -5.1%

Sampled at a beer fest (I know I know, I shouldn't review beers at a beer fest, but I took steps to make sure I concentrated and kept my palate fresh) in 3oz size.

Look - Amber in color with no foam, and a bit murky.

Smell - Good mix of maltiness and hoppiness, but no much smokiness in the aroma.

Taste and Mouthfeel - There's more "smoke" in the taste, and still a good mix of malts and hops. Very "Bavarian" tasting...reminds me of Germany. Very fresh-tasting too. Texture is very good and well-balanced.

Drinkability - Good brew, not complex, but tastes very nice.

Went to GB to drink the winterbock and happened to ask what was on the special tap-the reply-rauch-what?

Pours a dark copper brown with a light tan head and possible unfiltered. Once the beer warms up you can really get the smoke aroma. The bar keep told me that it is a smoke bock and the malt sweetness and the warming alcohol as it it finishes leads to believe that it is a bock. Mouthfeel is silky and somewhat thick. Drinkability is high-a good beer. I hope that this location begins to try different beers, because this one is a keeper.

Gordon Biersch Rauchbier from Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant