Gordon Biersch Czech Style Pilsner - Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant visit their website
United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: Troyone on 02-28-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gordon Biersch Czech Style Pilsner Alström Bros
3.66/5  rDev +8%

On tap at the Gordon Biersch in the RDU airport.

Pours a yellowish gold with a small, soft white head that has good retention. The nose is wheaty and faintly grassy. The flavor is straw-like and grassy up front with a rather intense, earthy hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. There is a moderate amount of carbonation and an overall light body.

This is a rather average pilsner. Nothing to really set it apart from the crowd. Highly drinkable and unoffensive.

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

A- Deep golden body with a white head. Light lacing.

S- Light malt and some hops, maybe a hint of fruit.

T- Light sweetness up front with a light malt and hop finish.

M- Light body with medium carbonation.

O- Not my cup of tea, too light and lacking flavor.

3.76/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Light amber color and very transparent. The head is fluffy and white and the lace is thin, light and sticky. There is a very nice carbonation that gives the beer a good appearance.

S - Malty and crisp with a hoppy undertone.

T - Very light and crispy. A sweet beginning and middle with a small bite at the very end. Also it finishes a little dry and has that pilsner taste to it.

M - Nice and bubbly which is what I usually enjoy from pilsners, even though I don't enjoy drinking them too much. The dryness definitely over lapses with the taste.

O - I am not a pilsner fan but this one is pretty decent. I would not overlook this beer if it was offered on draft.

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours crystalline yellow into a pilsener glass with an all too short lived cloudy white head. Smells appetizingly grassy, with a nice malty sweet backbone. Taste is floral hops up front--I'd be curious to see their hopping mix--and sweet malts in the back. No particularly outstanding notes to mention, just a nice, approachable, delicously standard brew. Mouthfeel is buttery carbonated with a crisp finish, kind of a citrusy bitterness on the aftertaste. Two best uses for this one: give it to somebody transitioning from micro to macro, or to a visiting German friend who wants a little taste of home. Only complaint I have about this one is the price.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Another bottle from my now-famous local trader, tone77. The man is coming by again on Monday and I have to make room for his next drop-off! How do these things happen?

From the bottle: "Pilsner is a crisp, golden, lightly hopped lager. This style beer was first brewed in Pilsen, Czechoslovakia in 1842 using a sample of special yeast smuggled from Germany by a Czech monk. Before this time, all beers were dark and cloudy. Pilsner was the first beer to be brewed clear and golden. Prost!"; "Never trust a skinny brewer."; "Crisp Robustly Hopped Lager".

I went with an aggro pour, nearly inverting the bottle at one point, just to see what would happen. My glass filled rather quickly is what happened and once the swirling agitation settled, I had just over a finger of fluffy, eggshell white head with decent retention. Color was a deep golden yellow with NE-quality clarity. Unbidden, my uncle mentioned Croesus at Thanksgiving dinner unbeknownced that I routinely allude to him and his greed, especially for gold. Nose smelled of grassy Saaz hops and I knew that I was in for a good time. I love Czech Pilsners as my favorite style of Lager beer. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was of freshly mown grass near a field of barley. This could be especially nice in the summertime. It makes me wonder if their production facility has room for a CANning line as I would definitely drink this from a CAN in my cooler. Finish was dry, refreshing and a nice example of a tasty Pils.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

I had a draft of this during a layover at an airport in Washington DC. I was happy to see a Gordon Biersch at the airport as I've never had it in New York. I was also surprised to see that a company that pays so close attention to German styles would make a czech pilsner.

Appearance was very clear, nice active carbonation. Color was typical of a pilsner.

Aroma was a little bready but not much there.

Flavor was nice and refreshing. I thought it was typical of the style but I had been hoping for the more bitey flavor of a German Pilsner.

Overall I liked this beer with the caveats mentioned above.

2.57/5  rDev -24.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottom of back label stamped BOTTLED ON: 04/19/11.

Appearance - Slightly hazy golden yellow-orange body. Pours two finger loose rocky white head with good stick and decent to low retention.

Smell - Almost no smell. Faint sweet corn.

Taste - Dry and musky corn and hay. Faint honey sweetness appears here and there but is almost absent. Tastes stale.

Mouthfeel - Some metallic astringency. Light bodied.

Overall Drinkability - Unrefreshing. Mostly bland and offers almost only off-characters in the profile. May be a bottle past its prime, because usually this brewery has gotten pretty good scores from me.

Gordon Biersch Czech Style Pilsner from Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant