Follow our progress ...

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by Sammy on 05-31-2008

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 14
3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours rich, black and thick, looks pretty damn good; rusty head. Thick layers of molasses, creamy leather, chocolate and coffee. There is a lot of rich malty variety here, but it verges on a little too big for my tastes. Just barely over the line into extreme. Big, smooth, charred, cocoa, burnt sugar cocktail. Very good. Worth your time.

4.39/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am supplementing the "had" review I did while drinking this, simply because the beer warranted it. I had this on cask at the Station Ho.St bar on August 2, 2014.

Given the average score on this site, I was not expecting anything remarkable. I was shocked at how good it was. I don't know if the cask treatment works particularly well for it, whether there has been a recipe tweak or whether my palate is simply different than other reviewers, but this is an absolutely first-rate imperial stout. Thick, fudgey and roasty, a very full-flavoured and rich imperial stout. Lovely stuff and very nice on cask.

Out of three excellent beers enjoyed at the bar on this occasion (including, surprisingly, the Alchemist's Focal Banger), this one was the most memorable. That says a lot.

4.26/5  rDev +6.2%

On tap at Volo.

After a difficult pour and sitting in a pitcher for a while, my glass reveals a pitch black pour with the slightest hint of motor oil at the edges. A light tan head has splendid lasting power and laces very well. Strong bitter chocolate, coffee, tobacco and alcohol nose screams imperial stout. Exquisitely balanced flavour with huge dark chocolate malts jiving with a coffee roast and an underlying lactic edge. Warming alcohol on the way down, which adds rather than detracts from this beer. Fuller body with a creamy carbonation that bulks things up in the mouth.

I didn`t expect this one to be quite as good as it turned out.

3.73/5  rDev -7%

Had the 2010 version on tap at Volo.

Pours a jet black colour with a chocolate brown head that at first was thick but settled to the edges of the glass quickly. Smells of coffee and chocolate with a faint boozy burn to it. The taste is coffee rich with dark chocolate and a rich maltyness, though I did detect a sour lactic quality that I just kept focusing on. Nice weight and hides the 11% ABV well. Overall not bad would like to try this again in 8-12 months, I would recommend this.

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed on-tap at Mondiale 2008. A competent and drinkable IS, this has medium mouthfeel. There is a sourness which has good malting offset. The 11% is well hidden. Not too complex and average for a good style that I like. Aroma was interesting with roastiness and chocolate.

Kamarad Friedrich from Hopfenstark
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.