Butthead Doppelbock - Tommyknocker Brewery

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Butthead Doppelbock Alström Bros
mterrence5

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

Nice deep color slight murky. Average head (that's what he said). Smells sweet. Tastes is sweet with a nutty caramel taste. A bit of dark chocolate hints. The high alcohol content ruins the finish on the beer. Power to you if you can hide The booze but this didn't for me. The pleasent mouthfeel and good taste is ruined by its lack of drinkability (for a dopple no less??). I found it hard to finish a six pack (yeah ok fancy boy keep telling yourself your a connoisseur)

10-27-2008 23:39:02 | More by mterrence5
dedrinker

Kansas

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

A dark amber with a reddish tinge. Weak khaki head. Weak man. Smells of caramel malt and hint of nuts. Tasted the same, but with a strong underpinning of alcohol. Boo. Medium to full body with an almost chemical finish - maybe the alcohol again. I had this a few years ago and really liked it, but this one is odd. It's even within two months of bottling too. Whatever.

03-15-2008 04:58:15 | More by dedrinker
sabrills70

2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

Appearance is a dark amber that pours with very little head. Aroma is a fruit, nut, molasses, with a touch of alcohol. Taste is fruit, nut, chocolate malt with an alcohol presence. Not a great deal of hoppiness here. Bock is not my favorite style so to me it's not very drinkable on it's own, but would go great with the right food, possibly a pasta with a nice red sauce.

05-27-2003 17:53:37 | More by sabrills70
EwaldEichstaett

Jordan

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

A: Ruby brown colour with a small head. Lacing is decent.

S: Smells like crisp fresh caramel malts. Maybe a hint of prune or raisin. The alcohol is also present in the nose.

T: Big sweet and tart malts. A bit like a prune or date. There are also roasted and caramel notes. Strong on alcohol with a bit of earthy flavours mixed in.

M: The beer has a lighter, thinner feel than it should.

D: Like the maple I tried a few hours ago. This beer tastes great at the start and then becomes... less great. I don't usually say this, but... the beer should be consumed quite cold.

10-29-2010 01:27:47 | More by EwaldEichstaett
KarlHungus

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a clear amber brown color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into thin lacing. The aroma is of molasses, cream, and toffee. The taste has a candy like sweetness that is jolly rancher like, and pervades everything else. There is some caramel that is detectable, but you really have to conscientiously look past the sweetness. The mouthfeel is medium full bodied with appropriately low carbonation. Overall, this is a poor example of a doppelbock. I will not drink this beer again.

05-18-2009 22:56:13 | More by KarlHungus
therica

Maryland

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

A= lifeless dirty-dense brown with little carbonation or effervescence, almost no head or lacing.

S= Scent was modest until it sat for about 5 minutes and then smelled like Old English furniture polish, probably the fruity scents coming through with the hops combined.

T= Modest taste, nothing that impresses me up-front. Maybe some caramel and burnt molasses, but a bit on the sweet-saccharin side for my tastes.

M= A bit too fruity-sweet residue for my preferences-- apricot, prune, not sure.

Overall, this beer did not impress me very much. There are far too many other good Doppelbock's to explore and enjoy.

06-25-2009 06:47:09 | More by therica
donteatpoop

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Deep amber in color with a tan head. The smell was very sweet, strong hints of the caramel I was about to taste. The caramel malt was a bit strong, almost over powering. There were other flavors in here, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what because all I could taste was the caramel. Very sweet. It was also a bit thick in the mouth, almost syrupy; but my tastebuds may have just been in shock. This was entirely too rich for my tastes; it seemed that the brewers got too involved with making it sweet and pleasing to olfactoral senses and forgot about making pleasant to taste. I won't be buying this one again.

02-21-2008 22:53:31 | More by donteatpoop
biglite351

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%

A - cloudy golden brown-orange. Quickly vanishing wire head.

S - mild but nice. Maybe a tiny citrus scent.

T - probably the mildest and least sweet doppelbock I have had. Unlike some other mild brews, this is basically bland.

M - too thin and no real feeling.

D - you could probably drink a case of this, but why?

05-11-2010 01:30:53 | More by biglite351
beerthulhu

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Notched 10.29.10. Consumed 3.29.11.

A: Against lighting a crimson red color reveals a medium sense of effervesce with a lazy rise. The head is disappointing, diminishing almost as quickly as it rose, sandstone in color and failed to cling and lace to the glass. Overall a fairly boring experience that lacked incentive.

S: The nose was light of cough syrup, cherry flavored, with a mixture of dry apple grains. Medicinal, and again lacked incentive and appeal.

T: For flavor there was sweet caramelized apple and toasted grains mixing with a fruitiness and some alcohol content, again more like cherry cough syrup. Some hops, perhaps noble flowers, yet was vague and hindered by the lingering cough syrup alcohol that was left behind. Overall average flavor, hardly enough to raise and eyebrow to or another glass. Label claimed a gold winner? Must have been a slow year.

M: Pretty good fullness, creamy and lush, one of the few highpoints of this drink. Light carbonation.

D: Yeah sorry, a notch below average here, preference on not having another one and a slow reluctant to finish flavor makes me only happy in the fact that I purchased a single here. Butthead? Yeah I pretty much feel like one for buying this, thankfully it was a cheap learning experience.

04-04-2011 23:08:41 | More by beerthulhu
Rayek

Colorado

2.83/5  rDev -22.7%

Picked up as part of Tommyknocker's sampler six-pack.

A: Disappointing, quite honestly. Deep sienna color with nice clarity and minimal carbonation. Even a vigorous pour wouldn't net much of a head. All I could get was a seltzer fizz that disappeared after only a few seconds in the glass. Left no lace.

S: Alcohol was the first thing that hit me. Burnt bakers chocolate, toffee and very nice black cherry aromas came through afterward.

T: A lot of alcohol in the flavor too. The cherry from the nose combined with the alcohol to create a cough syrup flavor once the beer was in my mouth. A pepper bitterness kept the sweetness in check and provided the most pleasant part of the beer's taste. Finishes with an alcohol warmth going down.

M: Medium body is flat, but still feels somewhat substantial.

D: Judging from other reviews, I think I may have gotten a bottle from a bad batch. Not a beer I want to revisit.

12-01-2008 17:08:55 | More by Rayek

jk3

03-29-2012 20:51:09 | More by jk3
mmmbeer

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

12 oz. with an overdue freshness date, but at almost 8% and under a year old it should be no problem. Pours into the pilsner glass a reddish brown with sediment that rises and falls while the bubbles make their way to the top. The head is beige and thin on the pour, receding quickly, but later regains a thin blanket and leaves some lacing. Smells of raisins, vinous and caramel malts, sweetness, pine, and some scent that I can't quite pin down but am pretty sure it's not supposed to be there. The flavors are dark malts, a lot of sweetness, alcohol, and green/piney hops that have a surprising bitterness for a dopplebock. The body is thick and coats the mouth a bit more thick than I'd want. I was initially very skeptical, but it became more tolerable as I progressed. However, it would be hard to drink another one and from drinking one I can already imagine the hangover created by making it a session beer.

11-22-2005 08:44:55 | More by mmmbeer
Baguio

2.73/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

ST: Bottle in LG Merlot Glass
A: Hazzy Brown (for me good for PA or IPA but not appreciative in Bock)
S: Horrid brown sugar glad I don't have diabetes, worst aspect of this beer IMO
T: Good, not as sweet as the smell but unfortunately the brwon sugar/molasses sweetness lingers.
M: Very nice thickness and coating, makes you feel your money was not watered away
O: I'm left confused, I will buy again, it packs a bit of a punch (which I respect) but I think the sugars are way high! I feel like this is a beer lollipop!

09-29-2012 22:19:35 | More by Baguio
bowersdm

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a german pilsner

A - ruby color with a small (<1cm) head

S - alcohol, yeast, fruity, tangy smell

T - malt with a pronounced fruit flavor, some alcohol, mild hops and a tangy flavor that borders on weakly sour.

M - weird mouthfeel, I can't describe it.

D - I did not enjoy this beer.

01-20-2009 03:53:11 | More by bowersdm
KeefD

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours a dark copper color with a small off-white head and no lacing. Aroma of some good caramel malts. Taste is of some thick caramel malts, odd fruitiness, a little smokiness, with a light grassy herbal hop flavor in the background. Some metallic notes can be detected and become even more noticeable as it warms. Also, a slight acidic wine taste in the background that I can't get past. Medium mouthfeel, light carbonation. Alcohol is warming and can be a bit much at times. I didn't enjoy this one too much. Maybe it's just not favorite style, but the flavors seem off to me. Would not drink again.

12-30-2008 03:52:07 | More by KeefD
mjc410

Vermont

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

The pour into my Blanche De Chambly glass (just for fun) raises a bubbly one finger head that falls quickly. It's medium tan, over a dark ruby-copper body that is impressive to behold. The aroma is very lacking, though, with only a slight hint of toasted grain and caramel. Certainly not enough to appease my senses. The taste comes back to normal territory a bit, though: there's definite caramel, molasses, and sweet maltiness. The alcohol is hidden well enough, too, but there's a small amount of unpleasant acidity. The body is a bit thin, but the carbonation is workable. Overall, an easy drinking DB with some obvious holes.

03-24-2007 00:52:24 | More by mjc410
mariposafan

Wisconsin

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

Dull dark red body - almost like cherry juice - with a short, creamy head.

The aroma is a little sweet with some floral hoppiness.

The taste is a bit watery with some hops and too much bitterness. Pretty much no maltiness to be found.

Light to medium body with a pleasant amount of carbonation.

Too much alcohol for not much malty goodness. Meh.

12-01-2010 22:41:19 | More by mariposafan
Roderick

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

This beer poured a light brown with a thin tan head. Smell was a hint of malt & carmel.
This beer taste a little too sweet for my liking but it does have a nice kick.
Mouthfeel is thin with little after taste.
This beer was somewhat of a disappointment to me but its still drinkable. I may drink it again.

Cost: $12.99 for a 12 sample case At Liquor Barn Hurstborne

02-17-2007 14:51:35 | More by Roderick
AltBock

2.68/5  rDev -26.8%

12oz. bottle with a cool picture of 2 TommyKnocker miners riding rams and head butting them together. They're all doing this in front of the mine where they should be doing thier jobs instead of riding the rams. :-) It had a back label with info about the beer, Best Before date and more numbers on the side, which I'm not so sure what they mean. I picked up mine, even when I saw that it expired on October of 2005. I thought that a Dopplebock style beer with an almost 8% ABV could last a little longer than Oct. and who knows might even taste better with age.

Appearance: Poured a beautiful hazy light ruby red color with a very thin head of foam. It didn't leave too much lace but did have some rings around my pilsner glass. Although a nice color, but to me it isn't the usual Dopplebock dark brown/ruby/black color.

Smell: I couldn't put my finger on much of the smell, but what I can say is that it was somewhat fruity, sweet, and with a hint of malts in the background. Very good ale aroma, but not lager aroma.

Taste: When reading the back of the label, I thought since this was a Dopplebock and was brewed with a generous amount of roasted malts, I was expecting mostly malts in the taste, but I was wrong. What I got instead was some sweetness up front, plenty of hops in the middle, and very little malts at the end. This would be an excellent taste if this was an ale, but this is a Dopplebock.

Mouthfeel: It was medium bodied, little carbonation, and with a sweet hops aftertaste. Even with a 7.9%ABV, I thought this was a little weak and bland.

Drinkability: This made for a nice light drink, but in my book this isn't a Dopplebock. Like I said before, I thought this beer would age well but I guess not. If I ever get my hands on a fresher one I will for sure rereview it. I still don't see how a fresher one would improve this beer.

02-03-2006 19:49:32 | More by AltBock
budsboy

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a murky, sickly brown without a head - none. Odd swirling masses of bubble-like matter in there, below the surface. Seems like bubbles anyway.

Smells like apple and other over-ripe fruit. A hint of allspice as it warms.

Taste is alright, rather bland. A mix of sharp berry, cough syrup and a wee bit of bread ... might not sound so good, but oddly it's fairly nice all together. Unimpressive, inoffensive. Is that good?

Mouthfeel is the worst part of this brew. Dull. Flat. Dead.

Not so great, not so bad. I really have mixed thoughts about this guy. I'll give it another go. The very low (non-existent) carbonation seems a bit suspect.

05-18-2005 00:01:10 | More by budsboy
pwoods

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Jungle Jim's, poured into a pint.

A: Deep murky bronze pour. 1 finger of frothy, off white head. Takes a minute to die to a thick skim. Decent patching.

S: Roasted malts and sweet toffee. Reminds me of chocolate taffy.

T/M: Robust roasted oats and grains. Nice sweet touch of toffee, caramel and vanilla. Medium heavy body that's nicely creamy. About halfway through I start t get a raw potato smell and taste that is not pleasing in the slightly.

D: Started off a decent brew but turned bad at the midway point.

12-11-2007 03:56:22 | More by pwoods
clvand0

Kentucky

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours a light brown color with a small head that quickly dies off and leaves no lacing on the glass. The aroma is comprised of a slight fruitiness and a caramel malt. The flavor was much the same as the aroma. A fruity and caramel malty flavor give this beer decent balance. I really didn't enjoy the flavor of this one.

11-08-2004 18:59:10 | More by clvand0
ncbrewerbun

2.6/5  rDev -29%

Brown long-neck 12 oz. bottle with "...enjoy within 4 month of date notched". And the date notched was 2-05, so I missed it by a month. Perhaps I can attribute my experience to missing by a month, but it shouldn't make this much difference.

The beer poured a reddish brown. It was crystal clear, but it had no head, probably thanks to the alcohol.

Aroma was malt and alcohol. Not a terrible smell, but not one that would attract you to the beer, either.

Taste was malt along with some dark fruits, alcohol, and a sourness that was a major distraction for me. It reminded me of eating the shell of a hazelnut -- the really bitter part.

Full mouthfeel, almost chewy; but for me this was not a beer to savor.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it, but was gladder to be done with it. Unless one month made all the difference here, it's a beer I can't recommend.

07-22-2005 01:56:57 | More by ncbrewerbun