Butthead Doppelbock - Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Butthead Doppelbock Alström Bros

Picked up from Woodman's as a single on my way to DDay. I believe the notches indicate that this one was bottled on July 22nd, 2010. Consumed 127 days after bottling OR after "best by" date?

Not a pro in this category, but by style:

[L] This one pours an orange/brown/amber into tumbler, as I had no better glass. Was a soft pour, with a tan head on the way up. It is quite lively, showing some rapid fizz from the bottom. Caramel colored to light. Clear

[S] Very mellow, with some nuts, slight chocolate, caramel and more pronounced dark fruit in the aroma. Presence of a lagery yeast.

[T] Upfront is caramel and nuts. Plum, caramel, and dark fruit in the middle. Shows a pleasant sweetness on finish that is slightly marred by a grainy note.

[F] Mouth is kind of boring, and mild to syrupy. As much as the carbonation and crisp finish try to do so, they do not make this very easy going.

[D] I assume this would be slightly more sessionable if it were super fresh. But at this point in time, 1 is enough. @ 8.2% I may have guessed much lower by taste, though.

If I ever get an opportunity to try this fresh, I will definitely revisit. But I'm thinking that this one was a little too far past prime.

We miss too many nights. When we started this project, we were going to do one beer a night. It doesn’t take a ton of time to write one of these, but we get busy. Oh well… tonight we are doing two. We are trying to empty the fridge because the researching and buying of the bottles is just as fun! Anyway, tonight we sip a butthead.

In the Glass: In the glass, it’s thick with a syrupy texture… Sheryl said it best; looks like a barleywine. It’s bright and amber, and has a subtle head with tiny bubbles that you expect from a glass of champagne.

Nose: It doesn’t smell like a barleywine. It smells like caramel. It’s got a punch of booze on the nose too, and it has a very sweet aroma. I like a sweet beer. I prefer my wines sweet, but I will take a sweet beer. After a second sniff, I can get a hint of barleywine in there.

Flavor: Whoa… VERY sweet and punches you in the back of the throat with something. Not sure what it was… but I like it. The beer is classified as a doppelbock, but should be a barleywine. The more I think of that and the more I sit here and smell/taste this beer, the more it reminds me of one. I am not a huge fan of barleywines, but the older I get the more I get into them.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel kicks in toward the back of the palate, and on the back of the tongue as and after you swallow. The front half of your mouth doesn’t really feel anything. But that’s okay, because there are a few bubbles toward the front of the palate and you don’t want that going down with a beer this sweet. It’s almost too sweet. Oh wait… here comes the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: Gross. What is that? The aftertaste is like stale bread. It’s horrible. It only lasts for a few minutes, but when it’s there… don’t breathe. It’s horrid. But the burp helps as it brings some of the heat off this big beer back to the surface. The aftertaste isn’t enough to keep me from digging on this beer.

The beer has a cool name. I mean… butthead. Who names a beer butthead? These guys and I like it! I hope to visit their brewpub one day. It would be fun to drink a Butthead from the source. Bottoms up people!

2.99/5  rDev -18.1%

A-It has an clear amber color and has been filtered. The head was brownish-white and was average size.
S-The smell was very malty and sweet. The sweetness smelled like caramel malts. Also there was a hint of roasted malts. Didn't notice any hop aroma.
T-The first thing I noticed a heavy sweet taste. Didn't taste much of a hop flavor and the bitterness was low.
MF-The beer felt a little on the heavy side in the mouth.
D-Because of the mouthfeel I wouldn't be able to drink too many of these.

Overall it was an average beer, but nothing impressive.

2.99/5  rDev -18.1%

Murky redish orange in color, tan ring for a head. I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what, but the aroma was terrible. I smelled like blush red box wine, cloyingly sweet. Some dark fruits, dark grapes and plum, welches grape juice, some molasses and caramel malt. The taste redeemed the aroma a bit, raspberries, strawberries, grapes and plums, but still on the little too sweet side. Thin cloying body.

Verdict: next! Not a "pour outer" but not your deepest doppel, too sweet.

Butthead Doppelbock from Tommyknocker Brewery