Butthead Doppelbock - Tommyknocker Brewery

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-05-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Butthead Doppelbock Alström Bros

1.68/5  rDev -54.1%

Pours a ruddy walnut with not much of a head and very minimal spots of lace left on the glass. Smells like a mix of Minute Maid fruit punch, artificial cherry, brown sugar, and over-toasted bread. Taste starts off toasty then comes the huge flavor of Juicy Fruit gum. This is extremely sweet with an odd, out-of-place, and overbearing artificial fruitiness. Has an aspartame finish. Mouthfeel is sticky, full, slick, but smooth. Drain pour. Not impressive.

1.75/5  rDev -52.2%

2.03/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not quite within four months of date notched, but here we go.

Flat crack of the cap. Murky honey brown pour. An inch of off-white head with no retention. Dregs sitting tight at the bottom of the bottle.

Incredibly rich. Riesen Chocolate Caramels, rumcake, dates macerating in stiff brandy. Sloppy. Way too much.

It drinks a little better. Lots of toffee & bread pudding. A ton of residual sugars. Mild tangy hop bite. Maybe a little bitterness from the perceived clove. Some smoke. Significant alcohol burn & brown sugar on the finish.

Slippery mouthfeel. Downright thin & greasy. Carbonation gives an effort.

I had a two of these. I guess I was just in a ugly mood. Why did I drink two of these?!

2.03/5  rDev -44.5%

A: Amber hue with floaters. A nice fluffy off-white head that was persistent and left moderate lacing. (The slightly low score was due to the lightness of the beer.)

S: Malt and a hint of brown sugar. Totally absent are the trademark raisin and prune scents of a Doppelbock. There is a hint of hops in the nose.

T: A malt-forward APA-ish lager. The front and middle are mildly malty, but largely flavorless. The finish has a deeply unpleasant metallic cloy to it.

M: For the ABV, this tastes watery.

O: Color me disappointed. This has none of the characteristics of a good Doppelbock. At 8.2%, I'd expect a lot more bang for my buck. Go get a Celebrator, Optimator, or Asam Bock. If you want an American example, try a St. Victorious.

2.15/5  rDev -41.3%

Reviewed November 15, 2011. Poured a 355 mL bottle into a Tulip.

A: Poured a half finger head. On the pour the sweet aroma hits my nose even from afar. Pours almost a Russet Brown, but it does lighten red around the edges. The head thins quite quickly, but carbonation rises slowly up to what head is left.
This does not lace.

S: I was actually surprised that a dark fruit smell came here, figs & raisins. A definite alcohol does come up and it smells quite light with a sweetness behind it.

T: To me the sweet dark fruit dominates the taste of this beer. The alcohol taste almost slides on the tongue on its way down and it's different, it doesn't all come strong instead it feels more spaced out.
The more this warms up the more prominent the alcohol becomes.

M: Almost feels sticky. Smooth, medium to high carbonation.

O: This just really didn't feel like a pleasant drink. Dark fruits are nice and all, but this drink simply needs to be more balanced. I would personally avoid this in the future.

2.17/5  rDev -40.7%

The beer pours a deep reddish brown with about half a finger of head that falls to just cover the beer. The nose is sweet...overly sweet. The closest I can ome up with for what the smell is would be sweet cherries..or maybe almond extract is closer. Whatever it is, its not good in my view. The beer is not as sweet as the nose would suggest on the first taste, but with the second sip, the sweetness is there. It finishes almost smokey..not sure? I just can't figure this beer out, but the complexity is not adding to the experience. The beer is thick, but not too syrupy. Not a bad feel in my mouth, but not enough to save this one in my book. I'm glad ther are only two of these in my sampler. Not worth seeking out. I might not even try it again if it were free.

2.2/5  rDev -39.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Served at 49 degrees and allowed to warm.

Hazy brown color with no head but a fruity, bubblegum and sweet plum aroma. Flavor consisted of raisin, pine, and vanilla notes. So-so. medium full mouthfeel over the whole palate is the highlight here. Not much drinkability due to overpowering alcohol warming feeling as it goes down with sour fruit aftertaste as it warms. Not recommended.

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

Wow.. this one was a big miss for me. Just way too much of an alcohol taste, so much that it ruins the whole beer. I could only stomach through half of this before I had to pour it out. It tasted like a poorly made mixed drink. The alcohol taste isn't bad in small quantities (like any DIPA/RIS) but this almost induced a gag reflex. It's this breweries highest rated beer but I think it's their worst.. take it as you will. Just because it has a high ABV doesn't mean its good...

2.33/5  rDev -36.3%

Reddish maroon brown pour with a really weak flash in the pan head. Smell is malty with a light almost sour fruit, metallic, and alcohol kick to it. Taste is predominantly alcoholic malt, and is rather uneventful. Not very good, or worth getting in my opinion. I'd rather not taste the alcohol and just have two bocks instead.

2.38/5  rDev -35%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear, light chestnut brown with a small tan head that fades. Mild lacing on the glass. Color seems a little light for a dopple.

Aroma is malty with a strong nuttiness and light toasted smells.

Taste is malty and nutty upfront leading into a rather sharp bitterness that lasts through the finish. The sharpness dominates any other quality that may be present.

Medium body, mild carbonation.

Not the worst offering I have ever tasted, and I could finish the bottle if I wanted to. But, life is too short and I have much better beer to drink. Down the drain she goes.

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

12-ounce bottle carefully decanted into a snifter (to avoid getting all the fluffy crud at the bottom of the bottle in the drink) yields a clear dark amber body with a thin cap of ivory foam that departs in a flash and leaves no lacing.

The smell is faintly grainy and fruity.

The taste is musky sweet and somewhat metallic, with caramel-drizzled prunes and alcohol masquerading as weird dry fruitiness. The finish is somewhat astringent with a lingering metallic dryness.

Thick and a tad syrupy, the bottle is in-date, from a reputable dealer, and has been in my fridge since I got it. I'm pouring this one in the sink where it belongs. Awful.

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

A very light tan head that disapears really quick. A dark copper cherry body color. Decently bubbly.

I get a weird Medicinal artificial cherry vanilla smell.

I get the same thing with the taste, artificial cherry-vanilla, toasted bread some bitterness and booze. Quite unappetizing!

Medium body. Light carbonation. Feels okay if the taste wasn't so gross.

I don't like the taste. It was almost painful to finish but I decided to pull through. Not for me.

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

A: very light, almost nonexistent head that quickly disappates, most likely from the bozzyness of this brew. Dark, murky amber color, with a high carbonation that slicks onto the glass
4/5

S: Dark Prickley smell. It sort of smells like a vinegary, pickled black olives. In addition to that strong smell it has a odd, off surgery sickeningly sweet aroma.
No hop scent
2.5/5

t: Their is a very light smokiness to this beer that is very detectable in the after taste. Strong sweet malty taste that bite into your tongue in a almost abrasive way. You can taste the boozyness of the this one, tho it is not nearly as bad as I've had in some bad barley-wines, but it is still VERY noticeable despite not being a true deal breaker. what does make it a dealbreaker is how unballanced its smokyness and sweetness is compared to its bitterness, which needs to be heavier
overall, I am not impressed. Hell, I straight up do NOT like it
2/5

Body: thick, malty, and syrupy. My kind of style. A bit too much on the prickly side for the carbonation, but this aids you if your eating food with this beer, as it quickly cleanses the pallet and enhances the meal quite a bit.
Overall, quite nice
4/5

Overall: I don't know about you, but I was looking forward to this one. I liked the last beer I had room this brewery, and have been waiting almost 8 days to drink this beer (post surgery), and I am not impressed.

Its a very surgery, unbalanced beer that uses smoked malt when it had no business being their, and its unbalanced nature and off malt flavors take away greatly from this brew that could had been so much better
a sad, sorry, 2/5

but for the price, if your looking for something that will get your really hammered, you could EASILY do worse
but you could also easily do better

cheers

2.45/5  rDev -33.1%

Received as a gift.

A - Poured up clear amber with ruby highlights, and a practically nonexistent head, even pouring straight into the bottom of the glass

S - Smell of dark malt, with dark fruit notes

T - Some caramel malt, but overall bland. Some alcohol in the finish.

M - Thin with a light carbonation bite.

D - Nothing offensive, just nothing memorable enough to make me want another one.

This has to be a bad bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

A: poured amber to light brown in color with good clarity and a tan head that settles quickly.

S: sweet cherries and caramel, medicinal, roasted grains, and fresh bread. Where are the hops?

T: Drink is sweet up front with cherries, honey, light and dark roasted grains. Sweetness is cloying. Not like a doppelbock in my opinion. Hops are too hidden or weak.

M: Medium body with light carbonation.

D: This is a drinkable beer but in the wrong style I feel. Unless I got a bad bottle. More like a brown ale.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

2.53/5  rDev -30.9%

has some bite ... lacing is primo ... smell is old malt copper and wheat rust ... colour of maple syrup .. a bit thin for a doppel .. "quit bad mouthing the house" ... yikes .. needs work! ... if a brewery is going to make a doppelbock, lots of effort is required, this seemed rushed...

2.53/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass a rather pale, burnt orange. Head of decent size that stays for the entire consumtion.

Aroma is way off. Well, not off compared to the other Tommyknocker offerings. All of them seem to have that apple cider aroma that I really dont like. Apple cider, over cooked veggies, and thats about it. I am beginning to think I got a bad mixed sixer.

Taste isnt bad. Some caramel malts and chocolate. This is just another subpar beer. I am not sure what the problem with Tommyknocker is, but I either had a bad mixed sixer or the beer is consistently sorry. Either way, this wasnt very good.

2.6/5  rDev -29%

Brown long-neck 12 oz. bottle with "...enjoy within 4 month of date notched". And the date notched was 2-05, so I missed it by a month. Perhaps I can attribute my experience to missing by a month, but it shouldn't make this much difference.

The beer poured a reddish brown. It was crystal clear, but it had no head, probably thanks to the alcohol.

Aroma was malt and alcohol. Not a terrible smell, but not one that would attract you to the beer, either.

Taste was malt along with some dark fruits, alcohol, and a sourness that was a major distraction for me. It reminded me of eating the shell of a hazelnut -- the really bitter part.

Full mouthfeel, almost chewy; but for me this was not a beer to savor.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it, but was gladder to be done with it. Unless one month made all the difference here, it's a beer I can't recommend.

2.6/5  rDev -29%

Appearance - Medium to dark brown. Short off-white head that quickly fades to film. Appears to be clear.

Smell - Moderate sweet caramel. Just a hint of citrus.

Taste - Very sweet. Roasted nut and caramel flavors. A hint of prunes or plums?. Finishes with just a touch of hops. Lingering not entirely pleasant (burnt) aftertaste. High alcohol is apparent.

Mouthfeel - Moderate to full bodied. Quite smooth.

Drinkability - I wouldn't say this somewhat funky tasting beer is high on my list. I will give it a little bump for fun marketing, though.

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Jungle Jim's, poured into a pint.

A: Deep murky bronze pour. 1 finger of frothy, off white head. Takes a minute to die to a thick skim. Decent patching.

S: Roasted malts and sweet toffee. Reminds me of chocolate taffy.

T/M: Robust roasted oats and grains. Nice sweet touch of toffee, caramel and vanilla. Medium heavy body that's nicely creamy. About halfway through I start t get a raw potato smell and taste that is not pleasing in the slightly.

D: Started off a decent brew but turned bad at the midway point.

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

Pours a light brown color with a small head that quickly dies off and leaves no lacing on the glass. The aroma is comprised of a slight fruitiness and a caramel malt. The flavor was much the same as the aroma. A fruity and caramel malty flavor give this beer decent balance. I really didn't enjoy the flavor of this one.

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a murky, sickly brown without a head - none. Odd swirling masses of bubble-like matter in there, below the surface. Seems like bubbles anyway.

Smells like apple and other over-ripe fruit. A hint of allspice as it warms.

Taste is alright, rather bland. A mix of sharp berry, cough syrup and a wee bit of bread ... might not sound so good, but oddly it's fairly nice all together. Unimpressive, inoffensive. Is that good?

Mouthfeel is the worst part of this brew. Dull. Flat. Dead.

Not so great, not so bad. I really have mixed thoughts about this guy. I'll give it another go. The very low (non-existent) carbonation seems a bit suspect.

Butthead Doppelbock from Tommyknocker Brewery