Butthead Doppelbock - Tommyknocker Brewery

good

Tommyknocker Brewery visit their website
Colorado, United States

Doppelbock |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Butthead Doppelbock Alström Bros

kylemckinnis, May 06, 2013

CWhite, Sep 10, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Beer is a about 14 months old, which is 10 months longer than Tommyknocker suggests.

3.5 A: Motor oil color. Couldn't get much of a head to form. Light brown lace forms.

4.0 S: Really sweet smelling. Flowers and toasted grains. The alcohol is also noticeable.

4.5 T: Very nice flavor. Sweet with toasted malt. Toffee and earthy tones. Complexity is there, which is noticeable after each sip. Basically, you keep getting flavors in a long drawn-out aftertaste.

2.5 M: For as good as the taste is, it would be so much better with a little more carbonation.

5.0 D: I could drink these babies all night and love it.

I have to disagree with Tommyknocker on their freshness date. This beer ages damn well. I've had a fresh one, so I have something to compare it to, but there was nothing holding me back from fully enjoying the old one. Hopefully one day I'll get around to reviewing a fresh one.

DavoleBomb, Aug 22, 2008

Flyboyman, Jun 09, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Butthead pours a viscous, opaque brown with almost no head. It smells more alcoholic than it should, even given the 7.9% ABV. There's also a lot of sweet caramel maltiness. The flavor is surprisingly chocolately, and very pleasingly so, with some toffee as well. Doesn't taste very alcoholic at all. Mouthfeel is extremely thick. I wasn't expecting this doppelbock to be anywhere near as good as Autumnal Fire or Thomas Hooker Liberator, given that I really disliked Tommyknocker's Maple Nut Brown, but Butthead was pretty damn good. I'm still hung up on the sweet, subtle chocolate flavor--really good. I could easily have several of these and be smashed before I knew it.

battlekow, Sep 23, 2005

Brewsed, Apr 18, 2012

mattsucks, May 18, 2013

jaybags, Sep 04, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

From a December 2005 bottle, aged carefully for 9 months and paired with a traditional Mexican lunch.

From the outset, it is clear that this brew has aged well. It pours a handsome and slightly hazy amber with a thick off-white head. The bouquet has the complexity of a high-end barley wine, a strong malt
and alcohol presence offset with a hint of sour cherry. Blindfolded, I might mistake this for a red wine.

Unlike a barley wine; however, this has maintained a light freshness to it. It is still a mid-day beer and not merely a nightcap. Malts dominate the palate which has a nice cinnamon touch to the finish and a refreshing effervescence throughout. What's more, the finish is clean and crisp, with a very spritzy aftertaste.

I've always been a fan of Butthead Bock, but this slightly-aged version has converted me to a fanatic and devout follower. I'll go and pick up a six pack (and start the eight month wait) as soon as I can. Kudos to one of the best doppelbocks in Colorado. Highly recommended.

benito, Aug 21, 2006

KLHBB, Oct 01, 2014

Durandal_777, Apr 24, 2014

maltlikker, Oct 11, 2014

KGOSU, May 10, 2014

Hallce2, Mar 27, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very deep red, small off white head. Smell is sweet, some dark fruit smell, trace of alcohol, and caramel. Taste follows the smell with dark fruit and a slight bit of alcohol. A little on the low side for carbonation and a slightly thick mouthfeel.

This bottle is a little over 6 months old and is less alcoholic tasting than fresher bottles. I prefer it this way.

honkey, Apr 02, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Some of the beers in my Tommyknocker variety pack have lacked something in the taste (and mouthfeel) department. This one was an exception and, except for the limts on drinkability posed by the higher ABV, it's a very tasty offering.

Nice bold, dark amber in the glass with a low, foamy head. Heavy (slightly roasted) malt in the nose; decent mouthfeel with minimal carbonation and a wonderful, rich malt flavor. Unlike another doppelbock I tasted recently, this one was all malt and flavor--not alcohol. It's one of those that snuck up on me a bit as I enjoyed the flavor. Next thing I know I had a nice buzz. But this one tasted great getting there.

tugdriver7, Jan 09, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Plan B served in a pint glass on a hot spring day outside on the deck.

A - Caramel Colored body, Off-White Head, Decorative Lacing

S - Hints of malts, not very much going on here.

T - Chocolate and caramel malts, Sweet yet perfectly balanced with hop undertones.

M - Light to medium body with light carbonation.

D - Tommyknocker has an interesting take on the syle here, very pleasant. Well balanced and very tasty in my opinion. Very nice on a warm day - would have never guessed the 8.2 ABV.

DNICE555, Apr 27, 2009
4.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Medium to dark amber color with a 1 finger head that leaves pretty quick

S: Caramel malts , a little alcohol and hints of dark fruits

T: Caramel malts dominate. A little sweet as expected. Getting hints of tea and nuts. Alcohol is well hidden for 8.2%

M: Full bodied. Clean finish. Has the right amount of carbonation.

O: Very drinkable. I will easily keep this in my rotation.

keith_wayne, Apr 20, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber. Clear. Head quickly dissipates. Leaves a wisp on the top of the beer.

Hints of syrup. Sweet citric; orange zest maybe. Candy sugar. Some metallic lager yeast.

When it was first poured, I couldn't find the alcohol. Pretty impressive for a lager topping 8% abv. Then it warms a bit... It shows itself as a heavy breath from the aftertaste. Peppery, but not in an over the top way. It's definitely potent though. I get most of the flavors from the nose. Syrup and caramel. Sweet brown sugar. Slight toasted rye bread. It's sweet. There's not too much that's bitter about this beer. Hops and bitterness seem to be hidden by the alcohol.

Full body. Decent carbonation scrubs the palate. Finish is full, leaves a desirable aftertaste from the alcohol, that's like a shot of spiced rum. Heavy mouthfeel, just short of chewing at times.

I've had several of the Tommyknocker beers in the past, each one has been better then th last. This one's made me a pretty big fan.

sjohansen, Dec 15, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an oversized clear wine glass. Freshness date clearly notched on back label.

A: Blackberry brandy-like brown-scarlet hue with scant head that merely caps the beer. Some arcs of lace appear.

S: Malty and musty are the two adjectives that leap to mind. Heavy dark bread aromas with a hint of medicinal alcohol followed by a leathery, musty scents. Very vinous and has a barleywine-lite aroma profile.

T: An exceptionally flavored double bock with major malt loads backing the mellow dark fruit and bready taste with definite alcoholic kick which is pleasant and warming. Plenty of toasted malt, toffee, and caramel flavors enhance the complex profile, which compares well to good barleywines.

M: I like the feel of this beer as it is medium-to-full bodied but smooth and easier to drink than most beers with this much flavor. I like the low carbonation even if it doesn't keep strictly with the style. Aftertaste is vinous mainly of dark fruits and slightly burned caramel.

D: A great surprise from Tommyknocker as their beers to date for me have been a bit hit or miss. This is a double bock that compares nicely to some of the premium German originals.

argock, Nov 13, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

This was the first time I've tried anything from the Tommyknocker Brewery and I must say I am impressed. I'm not as hardcore of a beer drinker as most folks on here, but I do enjoy the finer beers in life.

I'm going from memory here, but the appearance was very nice. It seemed pretty thick and was light brown in color.

The smell, again, was very nice. Not too strong, and definitely a compliment to the nose, I enjoyed it.

The taste was amazing. The first (and last) time I had a Doppelbock, it disgusted me. This was probably about a year ago, so whether my tastes have just changed greatly since then, or this beer is just THAT good, I cannot yet say. Nonetheless, I enjoyed every flavor this beer laid down on my tongue.

The mouthfeel was very pleasurable. Like I said, it was on the thicker side, so it coats the tongue really well, as to let you enjoy the full flavor.

As far as drinkability goes, it was exceptional. The beer was very lightly carbonated, almost undetectable in the mouth. This made the aftermath of drinking it very settling, there was no full feeling as you would get from drinking highly carbonated beverages.

This is my first review and I don't exactly know what I'm doing, so take this with a grain of salt. As I said, my beer background for the most part greatly differs from most of the pros on here, but I enjoy good hearty beers, so if you're somewhat new to trying different beers, maybe our tastes coincide with each others. (And hey, the guy below me gave it a B and he had it a year past it's 'best by' date..so it's definitely a good beer!)

RaiseMyGlass, Sep 24, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice hard pour into a 16 oz. mug. Nice two finger tan head develops over a slightly hazy deep orange body. Head falls back into the beer slightly, leaving a nice thick covering. Decent lacing. Very inviting.

Lots of big aromas here to wade through. Dominated by a huge malty sweetness that hides a nice alcoholic warmth. Hints of raisins and rich grapes waft in and out.

Nice big quaff and, whoa! Huge malty sweetness hits you up front with some gentle toastiness and rich grape/raisin esters. Nice alcoholic warmth and burn ease on in and come through as the beer is swallowed, followed by nice toasted malts. Lingering sweetness on the tongue is balanced nicely by toasted grains and a delicious spicy hop flavor, definitly my favorite part of the beer.

Mouthfeel is thick and sticky with a nice gentle carbonation that lets the beer gently roll around the palate.

A great example of the style. I don't drink this style too often so it caught me off guard at first, but it definitly settled out and was a delicious drinker. This is a big beer; drinking more than two is just asking for it, lol. I would like to see more of those delicious spicy hops, but it would throw it out of style.

This would be a great beer to sip on when it cools off a bit, I'll definitly be letting at least 2 of the bottles rest for a few months to see how well they age. Overall, excellent beer! Don't hesitate to try!

danny013, Aug 11, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

pours a dark ruby color with a small tan head, probably due to high alcohol content.

Smells very malty,sweet and fruity. Smell Like it's going to be a good one.

Tastes very malty and strong of alcohol. Reminds me of a strong ale, even though it is a bock and is lagered. Very little hops, mostly sweet, fruity malt flavor.

Dry on the finish. Good mouthfeel..

I would say that I would definately buy another 6 pack or so. A very good beeer.

metallistout, Nov 16, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Bottle obtained from Total Beverage (Colorado) and consumed later that same evening. Pours a light tan one-finger head over a crystal clear dark bronze-reddish liquid. Beauty to look at with a couple tiny streamers rising up through the beer. Smells potently of complex caramel. Sweet dark musty. Some toasty qualities, a hint of chocolate, a barely noticable alcohol burn, as well as that musty smell (which I think is a noble hop). Smells delicious. Taste is rich caramel with some chocolate and some toasted grains. Very sweet...too much so, IMO. A wood character comes in with a late alcohol. Can't decide if that wood is from hops or part of the alcohol. After the alcohol is a tinge of sour, like grapes (not cherries). The aftertaste is rich in chocolate and is very enjoyable. Mouthfeel is thick and carbonation is mild. It's a bit too heavy and sweet to be really drinkable, but I like it a great deal.

mentor, Jul 15, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +20%

I had this beer in a pint glass that came to me with little to no head.
The beer had a nice molasses smell with a hint of dark fruit,maybe raisin? Medium dark ruby color.
The mouthfeel was very nice and would make for great drinkability.
Taste was malty and smooth with almost no hop bitterness.
A nice offering from TommyKnocker and definitley worth a try.

Cheers